Transformers Super Thread 7

Have y'all seen the new TF Deluxe special editions from Hasbro in the black boxes?? They are reissuing the Prime and Megatron from the old Classics 2-pack, as well as Classics Grimlock & Mirage as Overtkill (white dinobot) and Dragstrip, for $15 each.

Prime, Megs, & Overtkill: http://tformers.com/transformers-hasbro-to...10206/news.html

Dragstrip: http://tformers.com/transformers-tf-univer...10212/news.html

I'll probably be a loser and get Dragstrip.

:ph34r:

Have y'all seen the new TF Deluxe special editions from Hasbro in the black boxes?? They are reissuing the Prime and Megatron from the old Classics 2-pack, as well as Classics Grimlock & Mirage as Overtkill (white dinobot) and Dragstrip, for $15 each.

Prime, Megs, & Overtkill: http://tformers.com/transformers-hasbro-to...10206/news.html

I didn't like that Grimlock mold enough to get another of a fairly obscure character... especially when Overkill was a dinosaur that turned into a tape, not a dinosaur that turned into a robot. That Prime mold is pretty crappy too, and not all that different than the first time they released it. But like yourself, I'm definitely interested in Dragstrip, since Mirage's mold was pretty good and I could always use more Decepticons. I'm thinking about the Megatron, too. I actually kinda liked that mold, aside from the lame right arm. Since I already have both Classics Megatrons, I think the Voyager one could be Megatron, the green one could be Brawl, and the white one could be Straxus (ala the Megatron clone from the old Marvel comic book).

EDIT: Another advantage to that Megatron mold is that his gun (which I don't think he needs) fits nicely in Bumblebee/Cliffjumper's hands.

Edited by mikeszekely

Dragstrip's a pretty logical repaint. Pretty nice, but I'll probably pass.

What's with all the white on Megatron? Sigh. You know, it *IS* possible to color it in G1 homage colors and still have it look like a real tank. The colors for that do exist. I'll end up getting it, but I can already see parts I'm going to swap from the old deco to this to create something a little closer to a true G1 homage. That red tip on the fusion cannon has to go for starters. Might even swap the head too.

More pay dirt for my G1 movie display!

Exo-Suit Spike from Impossible Toys!

It "transforms" too, but it doesn't look like much, not that I care. It's just cool to have a good representation of movie Spike and the Exo-Suit! Given how much I liked their Judge Quintesson, this is automatically bought.

Just got Powerglide, and damn, he is ugly. His only saving grace is the good size, and also the fact that his transformation has been one of the more satisfying ones to date. I like complex.

Whoever designed the oversized engines (that ruin most of the otherwise good looks) and the landing gear should be shot. Oh yeah, and also the gun.

Prowl is quite cool. I like how everything is hidden in vehicle mode.

Wasn't Vector Prime designed based on The Last Autobot?
Yep. I'm sad his Mini-Con wasn't named Xaaron.

I was wondering. Thanks!

Now if somebody could explain to me why Hasbro wouldn't give us Thundercracker, but are now in fact giving us a second Starscream, that'd be great.

The 25th Anniversary of Transformers. You gotta get versions of the core characters out for that. It's been 2 years since Classics Starscream was released, and in those 2 years there are now A HELL OF A LOT MORE Transformers customers, what with that movie back in 2007 and this movie called Transformers Revenge of the Fallen coming out in 2009. So yeah, targeting all those people who never picked up Starscream when he was originally available. Edited by Fit For Natalie

Just got Powerglide, and damn, he is ugly. His only saving grace is the good size, and also the fact that his transformation has been one of the more satisfying ones to date. I like complex.

Whoever designed the oversized engines (that ruin most of the otherwise good looks) and the landing gear should be shot. Oh yeah, and also the gun.

He's just too obnoxiously large for my tastes. I could forgive the somewhat odd proportions if he were a deluxe.

He's just too obnoxiously large for my tastes. I could forgive the somewhat odd proportions if he were a deluxe.

What could really help is the reduction in size of his head.

Now under his chestplate, I see a heart. :blink: The only reason I could think it is there is because of the homage to the cartoon episode the girl who loved powerglide.

Anybody here dislike IDW's current All Hail Megatron series? I do, though for reasons other than for what I believe is a poor, simplistic storyline that flies in the face of continuity. I also dislike IDW's business decision to force Simon Furman to VERY QUICKLY and messily wrap up his storylines.

*waits for Shane McCarthy to turn up here*

Anybody here dislike IDW's current All Hail Megatron series? I do, though for reasons other than for what I believe is a poor, simplistic storyline that flies in the face of continuity. I also dislike IDW's business decision to force Simon Furman to VERY QUICKLY and messily wrap up his storylines.

*waits for Shane McCarthy to turn up here*

I'm sorta on the fence with it. I recognize that every writer isn't going to be as good at writing Transformers as Furman, and I'm still making allowances for the notion that continuity could be fixed either by the end of the series or in one of the next. My biggest gripe with it is actually that they've managed to drag out a total lack of story for three issues by alternating between panicked humans debating on whether or not they're screwed, and Decepticons randomly pounding on military forces. Considering that Megatron's got his name in the title, his appearances in the book are barely more than cameos.

Was it really a business decision on IDW's part to force Furman to wrap up his stuff? Because Revelation and Spotlight: Grimlock read like he's just getting bored with the whole Dead Universe storyline and he wants to get on with Maximum Dynobots.

Was it really a business decision on IDW's part to force Furman to wrap up his stuff? Because Revelation and Spotlight: Grimlock read like he's just getting bored with the whole Dead Universe storyline and he wants to get on with Maximum Dynobots.
Yes. Furman said on his blog that he realises that some people will not be happy with how Revelations plays out, but it was the best he could do. He had to squeeze a lot of stuff into four issues, and evidently there was another series afterwards called Expansion that went further along in the storyline.

He's keeping his cards close to his chest for the day he can finish the story off in some form.

Which is pretty scary since Furman is a rather "Meh" scriptwriter, nice guy (I've met him a few times) but WAY

over rated by GeeWunner types.

Plenty of people who aren't GeeWunners love Furman, especially his Furmanisms. Edited by Fit For Natalie

I can't say much on Furman specifically, since I haven't read more than an issue or two of the Marvel TF comics (but not really enjoyed those either), but I can say that while IDW has had some neat plot ideas, I haven't really enjoyed the execution of much anything IDW has done. Spotlight TBP 3 came out this week, and I've been working my way thru it... I missed the first compilation at retail and don't have it yet, but I read compilation 2 and enjoyed pretty much nothing except Spotlight Galvatron, because I think the Dead Universe ideas and Galvatron II are awesome, and the execution in that book was fantastic. Come to Spotlight 3, and I think Blaster was the first IDW book I've enjoyed SINCE Galvatron... I've only seen snippets of the -ation title books, but it all seems kinda non-sensey... and Revelations seems pretty stupid so far. I think Galvatron works because it's a plausible and neat way to integrate some cool side-line characters into the normal canon, and Blaster works because the characterization actually makes sense... I realize that I'm probably more Gee-Wunner-ey than I'm willing to admit, but stuff like Arcee seems ridiculous... the idea that female TFs came about thru some bizarre experimentation is neat, but the idea that Arcee is some kind of maniac berserker is ludicrous.

AHM is all the way on the other end of the spectrum, giving Gee Wunners the slavish homages they want, but then falls apart by not actually HAVING a plot... it's really a shame that TF comics can't settle on some middle ground that really works... I think a TF comic series could do really well if it stuck to hard G1 characterizations, but with a modern, more mature take, and tried to re-do the original cartoon in a darker, more plausible light. The problems in TF comics always seem to come from either alienating the fanbase with new flashier edgy takes on characters, or by having mind-numbingly stupid or nonsensical plots... Look at Spotlight Grimlock. Grimlock should have been a great issue with some useful plot and a great knock-down dragout fight, but instead ended up being a half-readable means to Dinobots, which in and of itself may or may not be any good, as it's still tied to all the garbage of the current IDW canon with far too many factions and conflicts to keep track of, let alone actually give enough room to be fully explained.

I can't say much on Furman specifically, since I haven't read more than an issue or two of the Marvel TF comics (but not really enjoyed those either), but I can say that while IDW has had some neat plot ideas, I haven't really enjoyed the execution of much anything IDW has done. Spotlight TBP 3 came out this week, and I've been working my way thru it... I missed the first compilation at retail and don't have it yet, but I read compilation 2 and enjoyed pretty much nothing except Spotlight Galvatron, because I think the Dead Universe ideas and Galvatron II are awesome, and the execution in that book was fantastic. Come to Spotlight 3, and I think Blaster was the first IDW book I've enjoyed SINCE Galvatron... I've only seen snippets of the -ation title books, but it all seems kinda non-sensey... and Revelations seems pretty stupid so far. I think Galvatron works because it's a plausible and neat way to integrate some cool side-line characters into the normal canon, and Blaster works because the characterization actually makes sense... I realize that I'm probably more Gee-Wunner-ey than I'm willing to admit, but stuff like Arcee seems ridiculous... the idea that female TFs came about thru some bizarre experimentation is neat, but the idea that Arcee is some kind of maniac berserker is ludicrous.

AHM is all the way on the other end of the spectrum, giving Gee Wunners the slavish homages they want, but then falls apart by not actually HAVING a plot... it's really a shame that TF comics can't settle on some middle ground that really works... I think a TF comic series could do really well if it stuck to hard G1 characterizations, but with a modern, more mature take, and tried to re-do the original cartoon in a darker, more plausible light. The problems in TF comics always seem to come from either alienating the fanbase with new flashier edgy takes on characters, or by having mind-numbingly stupid or nonsensical plots... Look at Spotlight Grimlock. Grimlock should have been a great issue with some useful plot and a great knock-down dragout fight, but instead ended up being a half-readable means to Dinobots, which in and of itself may or may not be any good, as it's still tied to all the garbage of the current IDW canon with far too many factions and conflicts to keep track of, let alone actually give enough room to be fully explained.

When you said you read Spotlight 2 and 3, but you missed 1, I have to ask if you've read any of the -tion books? While I can definitely see what FfN is talking about, with how's it sorta rushed at the end, I've really enjoyed it all so far. I like the modernized take on G1, and the re-emphasis on the whole "Robots in Disguise" thing.

I haven't read all of the -ation books... I just finished Spotlight 3, and I have to say, Mirage might be the worst of the bunch, and then some... besides not offering ANYTHING to the overall canon, the book stands out as being a total jumble that poses more questions than anything at the end, mostly due to ti's neglecting to let the reader know when or how any of it actually happens... If the initial -ation books do stick more to the robots in disguise and G1-reboot, maybe they're worth a look at, but all I know right now is the current story arcs are terrible.

I haven't read all of the -ation books... I just finished Spotlight 3, and I have to say, Mirage might be the worst of the bunch, and then some... besides not offering ANYTHING to the overall canon, the book stands out as being a total jumble that poses more questions than anything at the end, mostly due to ti's neglecting to let the reader know when or how any of it actually happens... If the initial -ation books do stick more to the robots in disguise and G1-reboot, maybe they're worth a look at, but all I know right now is the current story arcs are terrible.

I'll agree that Grimlock didn't do more than set things up for Maximum Dinobots, and that Mirage, Blaster, Kup, and Wheelie didn't add much of anything to the story. But the other Spotlights, while they do have a mostly self-contained story, are best read in the context of the -ation stories.

Mirage was written by some other dude. I don't think anybody liked it.

Kup is probably one of the best Spotlights. I'm afraid of him appearing in AHM, as a sketch for Kup in the style of AHM featured in the Focus on Decepticons book (elaborate advertisement for AHM). Kup simply has too much baggage from his Spotlight to be handled in AHM.

Screw the G1 cartoon. We already had the G1 cartoon. We don't need to retell the stories. We need new stories.

I personally find the Sunstreaker/Hunter plotline to be strangely fulfilling.

I applaud IDW and Nick Roche for *not* playing it safe with somebody like Kup. I enjoy the fact that not every character (at least until the AHM retcon) is a carbon copy of their most well-known personalities. I also enjoyed seeing all of the later-year G1 characters being used.

I never read any of the IDW comics ... never had the interest. Any one series sticks out as "a must read"??

It was still Dreamwave when it was written, but 'The War Within' is good if you can track it down. Recently republished by IDW as'Transformers:War Within'.

Is this old news or not: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/tomy-gt-r-transformer/961137/

A friend of mine sent me the link this morning. Kewl!

Old news. But still cool. I just think it doesn't really suit Prime. Maybe Prowl, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, or Jazz.

Apparently TF Universe Wave 3 (Ironhide, Silverstreak, & Sideswipe) has been sighted at US retail in UT ... the hunt continues.

FYI: Ironhide is believed to be shortpacked to 1 per case, with the others 2 per case.

Hi Guys,

A little OT here, sorry for the Mods, but do you have any idea where can we get replacement parts " IF ANY " for the Binaltechs line? my BT-20 Jazz Meister lost its Gun, forgot to secure it during my overseas trip, so my nephew was playing with it, no damage done, except for the lost gun.

Informations highly appreciated, thanks!