Is it worth it?

Thai Boxer 9901

Im not tryin to knock you die-hard macross toy collectors because I envy you quite a bit sometimes but im wondering if its really worth it to shell out a couple hundred bucks every time a new toy comes out? Thats the dilemma im in right now because for the longest time, ive wanted the 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Hikaru and the 1/60 YF-19 and I havent been able to get them. But now, I have the financial ability to get them but after thinkin for a while, im kinda stuck between buying a toy that will just sit on my desk and collect dust or i could use my money on important stuff like car payments, cell phone etc...

Anyways, I was just wondering if I could get your opinion on if its worth it or not.

Your main problem, is if you ever decide on getting just 'one', could you just stop there?

You should spoil yourself just once, get your fav valkyrie (be it the Hikky 1S or 19*), and swear on not getting another.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help. But you need to get atleast one man. Then be done with it. :)

and YES it is worth it, the 1/48's are awesome. as is the YF-19 + Fold/FP combo. Don't get the 1st version.

And you probably will HAVE to get the 1/48 Strike/FP set too for your Hikky.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Your main problem, is if you ever decide on getting just 'one', could you just stop there?

You should spoil yourself just once, get your fav valkyrie (be it the Hikky 1S or 19*), and swear on not getting another.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help. But you need to get atleast one man. Then be done with it. :)

and YES it is worth it, the 1/48's are awesome. as is the YF-19 + Fold/FP combo. Don't get the 1st version.

And you probably will HAVE to get the 1/48 Strike?FP set too for yor Hikky.

Yeah I guess i could spoil myself once in a while lol. maybe if i dont spend any money for the next 2 weeks, i could do it when i get paid lol.

Yeah ive heard the first edition of the 19 isnt the greatest. would you mind explaining why? Ive thought about getting the fold booster and fast packs FOR the 19 seperatley but i never thought about getting 19 combo pack.

I guess it would be appropriate to get the fast packs for the 1S wouldnt it? Im just glad the fast packs for the 48's arent insanely expensive. the most expensive ive seen is about $100.00 and the cheapest is probly $50.00 somethin

HLJ.com is reasonable, depends which country your in.

the 2nd release is an improvement over the 1st. (landing gear, and gunpod alignment etc) The 1st ed has a crooked gunpod alignment in fighter mode, which is annoying, but you can fix it. Also the landing gear is in need of a mod.

I have the 1st release, and it's awesome, but you have the choice of getting the updated version with FP and the Fold booster. Which is cool in it's own right.

Yes you do need to spoil yourself. :p I give you the permission. :lol:

Get the 1/48. Or you could wait for the new 1/60 coming soon. Depends on what is your fav mode, 1/48 has the nicest fighter mode, and the 1/60 is good for all 3. Especially battroid. ;)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Juggling everyday expenses with a toy collection hobby isn't a good idea.

But buying just one is ok. just don't go overboard.

The mortgage and everyday bills come first.

Besides you may want to wait and see what the final verdict

is on the new 1/60 scale Vf-1. I'm hoping that it meets my

expectations. Price and quality.

one is the start man, and you will never be able to stop. I started with one 1/60 vf-1, then got 4 more, though i was originally gonna get only 1. Then i got vf-1 1/48, and that was to be it.... WRONG. I now have 5 - 6 of them, and 2 more on the way (amongs which are some 1/60 vf-0 and yf). Sold all my 1/60th vf-1. Will it end there. Some months ago, i was saying no more, have to think about wife, ring , cell, bills... And yet, one day, i will probably get the yf-21 and vf-11 with super packs. Will it end there, hmm... i hope. Yet, there is the fear of what if they made an sdf-1, or what if they made a low vis scheme in 1/60th. Or how about regults, and other enemy mechas. Also, lets not forget the new mospeada toys comming out (like the cyclones). And then there is the Master Piece Transformers, already, i love my Optimus and Starscream so much. It starts with only one man, one toy will RULE them all.... that said, i love my toys, and am happy with all the ones i kept, even the crappy first version vf-0s, as its still nice in plane mode.

That said, one recommendation i can make to you. DONT buy first version of Yamato design. Only get a 3rd (or at least 2nd) edition, or repaint. I am wairting for a repaint of vf-21, so that all improvements will be incorporated. Same with the new vf-1s 1/60th, better to make sure by waiting for second release, so you dont get a bad surprise and you already spent so much on it. Who knows, let joints might be loose. Engineers cant think of all possible problems/issues that may arize. You will HATE yourself if you get one with bugs. I made that huge mistake with vf-0s, and am stock with it, cause i dont want to pay more for fixes i deserve for free. And you really think you can get a yf-19 without getting yf-21??? hehehe, it starts that way, just to convince yourself its ok, but EVERYONE here knows (but wont tell you) thats only the begining, and your on your way to become another darth macross. Join us Thai Boxer 9901, and togheter we will rule all of the macross fairy tale worlds.

Edited by Arthurius

I ended up paying around £120 (including shipping) for a 1J Hikaru and GBP. I've probably spent the best part of another £100 on paint and supplies to customise it. It's taken me months and months and I've enjoyed every minute. Balance that against spending £40 on an xbox game I play for maybe a couple of weeks before getting bored, or £30 in a pub for the evening and it suddenly seems like money well spent. And it does look nice in a display case so you carry on getting enjoyment out of it. Plus you can take it out when the gf and kids are away and act like a 10 year old again...

I don't think I have ever been so hopelessly addicted to anything in my life than collecting macross (mainly Yamato) figures. And I have tried quite a lot of very addictive substances! The mind is powerful. It can be your worst enemy or your best friend. The mind can be stable, firm, determined, disciplined and wise but it can also irrational, severely attached, unreasonable, seductive, sly, and cunning.

If you know your mind and you make a solid determination I think it is possible (but not likely) to buy just one Yamato, but you will have to be really strong, like a ninja, or samurai, or monk or something. Then again you could just give in and say, Fu&k it, I am going to dive in to the deep end and before you know it you will be like Sqidd who bought something like 15 yammies in a matter of a few months! And Sqidd is happy. He loves his collection and so do we. What you don't want is to go over the deep end and then regret it. So I would advise that you just make up your mind ahead of time if you are going to just get one and be honest with yourself and happy with one or if you want to get into a very expensive habit and enjoy that.

HLJ.com is reasonable, depends which country your in.

the 2nd release is an improvement over the 1st. (landing gear, and gunpod alignment etc) The 1st ed has a crooked gunpod alignment in fighter mode, which is annoying, but you can fix it. Also the landing gear is in need of a mod.

I have the 1st release, and it's awesome, but you have the choice of getting the updated version with FP and the Fold booster. Which is cool in it's own right.

Yes you do need to spoil yourself. :p I give you the permission. :lol:

Get the 1/48. Or you could wait for the new 1/60 coming soon. Depends on what is your fav mode, 1/48 has the nicest fighter mode, and the 1/60 is good for all 3. Especially battroid. ;)

Yeah i thought about goin through HLJ but i have a feeling it would be the cost of shipping more than anything else that would kill me. HLJ is a great company but they are about 3000 miles in the other direction from me lol.

I think what im gunna do is wait a while before I get the 2.0 version of the 19 with the fold booster because its still pretty expensive as it is. I think I will get the 1/48 though soley for the scale of it. I have a few of the early 1/60's and the one thing that drove me nuts about them was the scale (and the fact that they were heavier than sh!t).

one is the start man, and you will never be able to stop.

Yeah, thats how my gundam addiction started. it started with one and now its 40 or 50 models later lol.

It's worth it as long as you get something out of it. Make certain that each time you buy one, you ask yourself exactly what you're getting out of it. Some people get a lot out of their Valkyries and for some, Macross is about the only hobby they have. So if you own a hundred Valkyries it might be worth it in certain cases.

IMO, most fans are not going to get that much out of large numbers of Yamatos. Most fans have a tendency to purchase more and more not because of the product itself, but due to thrill of purchasing more Valkyries, of getting stuff in the mail, of opening that new box like it was Christmas. But it doesn't take long for the thrill to wear off and you have a room full of toys, some of which aren't even touched for years.

IMO, if you're most fans, owning a few Valkyries will really be worth your while. You'll enjoy them and grow to appreciate them but don't get in the habit or you'll end up regretting it. If you're one of the rare fans that collects thousands of toys for your uber-hobby, these are the only kinds of folk who will really get much out of buying that one more VF-1J to complete your set of 100 :)

If you even have this concern to begin with, I'm going to assume you're like me and will do just fine with the three Valkyries that I own :)

It's worth it as long as you get something out of it. Make certain that each time you buy one, you ask yourself exactly what you're getting out of it. Some people get a lot out of their Valkyries and for some, Macross is about the only hobby they have. So if you own a hundred Valkyries it might be worth it in certain cases.

IMO, most fans are not going to get that much out of large numbers of Yamatos. Most fans have a tendency to purchase more and more not because of the product itself, but due to thrill of purchasing more Valkyries, of getting stuff in the mail, of opening that new box like it was Christmas. But it doesn't take long for the thrill to wear off and you have a room full of toys, some of which aren't even touched for years.

IMO, if you're most fans, owning a few Valkyries will really be worth your while. You'll enjoy them and grow to appreciate them but don't get in the habit or you'll end up regretting it. If you're one of the rare fans that collects thousands of toys for your uber-hobby, these are the only kinds of folk who will really get much out of buying that one more VF-1J to complete your set of 100 :)

If you even have this concern to begin with, I'm going to assume you're like me and will do just fine with the three Valkyries that I own :)

yeah im not gunna go crazy and buy every single vf that yamato has made and for a few good reasons too lol. 1, i dont have that kind of money. 2, my girlfriend would think i was nuts. 3, im lookin to buy her an engagement ring. so with that said, at most I would get the 1/48 VF-1S, the 1/60 YF-19 and MAYBE the VF-0S or the VF-0A (havent really decided). But i think that would be about it because i only have so much space in my room and ive got enough crap in here as it is lol.

On a side note...IF I were to get the 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru, could someone explain to me how to do this (see picture)

post-146-1201372391_thumb.jpg

Im talking about the panel lining lol

I am not sure but it looks like this one has been weathered too.

The panel lining, there are several techniques from ultra fine mechanical pencil to gundam marker to modelling style lining with weathering. I am not an expert tough and I am sure others will have some concrete advice. Also there are several threads about lining and weathering where you can get step by steps.

I am not sure but it looks like this one has been weathered too.

The panel lining, there are several techniques from ultra fine mechanical pencil to gundam marker to modelling style lining with weathering. I am not an expert tough and I am sure others will have some concrete advice. Also there are several threads about lining and weathering where you can get step by steps.

Yeah i found that picture in the Custom Gallery on the main site and all it says is that "Kurt" did the paneling but I havent been able to find a thread or anything on how he did it.

yeah im not gunna go crazy and buy every single vf that yamato has made and for a few good reasons too lol. 1, i dont have that kind of money. 2, my girlfriend would think i was nuts. 3, im lookin to buy her an engagement ring. so with that said, at most I would get the 1/48 VF-1S, the 1/60 YF-19 and MAYBE the VF-0S or the VF-0A (havent really decided). But i think that would be about it because i only have so much space in my room and ive got enough crap in here as it is lol.

Yup, you're a three-or-less kinda guy, just like me :) The law of diminishing returns is never far from my mind whenever I purchase a new toy. Also keep in my that your collection need not stay static either. I've sold a Yamato to make a "slot" available in my collection for another. I owned three VF-1 Valkyries, but after a while, I realized I didn't really need three and wasn't getting the most out of even two of them. So I sold one. You can easily do the same. Get what you like now and maybe sell off some for an new one. I'll probably sell my second VF-1 and purchase a YF-19 or perhaps a VF-25 (should there be one). Remember to keep your options open. You can't really take your toys with you when you die, so get what you can out of the "moment" and move on to other products. If nothing else, it keeps like interesting :)

Yup, you're a three-or-less kinda guy, just like me :) The law of diminishing returns is never far from my mind whenever I purchase a new toy. Also keep in my that your collection need not stay static either. I've sold a Yamato to make a "slot" available in my collection for another. I owned three VF-1 Valkyries, but after a while, I realized I didn't really need three and wasn't getting the most out of even two of them. So I sold one. You can easily do the same. Get what you like now and maybe sell off some for an new one. I'll probably sell my second VF-1 and purchase a YF-19 or perhaps a VF-25 (should there be one). Remember to keep your options open. You can't really take your toys with you when you die, so get what you can out of the "moment" and move on to other products. If nothing else, it keeps like interesting :)

yeah ill keep my options open and see what happens. I just know that it wont turn into another gundam collection like i have now. when I did display my gundam models, i had 2 book cases full of models and still was short on room. Since the 1/48 macross toys are obviously bigger than most gundam models, ill probly stick to 2 or 3. But I did have a thought....has anyone tried hanging a VF-1 or YF-19 from the celing?? I ask cuz ive got a ton of airplane models on my celing and i always figured that if I didnt have room to put the yamatos, that i would hang them from the celing. my only concern would be that they would be too heavy to hang from the celing. I think it would be kinda cool to see a VF-1 hanging next to a P-51D :D

Yeah i found that picture in the Custom Gallery on the main site and all it says is that "Kurt" did the paneling but I havent been able to find a thread or anything on how he did it.

Kurt does full preshading paint jobs. To do that you need an airbrush, and no objection to taking a dremel to your expensive valk. I've got a thread on customising a hik 1J that's got some tips. I wanted it to be a proper walkthrough, but it's tricky to get photo shoots done without a dedicated workspace.

The panel lining is done by oil wash. Again you need an airbrush to gloss coat the valk. wm_cheng's guides are great for this, so is the aircraft resource centre. An easier method is to use a mechanical pencil or gundam marker.

One thing some people do is use waterslide decals or takatoys' stickers rather than the yamato stickers, which are, well, toy stickers, and they look it.

Thai Boxer 9901,

Hey there mate. About the panel lining. Al in all it is not that diffacult to do....but it takes time and patience so you do the job well. You can use a variety of methods, my favorite is to either to use a nice mechanical pencil (although these have a chance of wearing off) or to use a pen/marker especially made for hobbying (I really don't think that's a word but I think you know what I mean). I have done a few myself and after teh first 2 or 3 I felt that I FINALLY knew what I was doing. They all turned our rather well IMO, but that is my opinion and we all have our own. Anyways. Welcome to the addiction. Try to keep yourself under control. If the lady loves you then she will understand. See ya around.

:ph34r:

Edited by misterryno

Im not tryin to knock you die-hard macross toy collectors because I envy you quite a bit sometimes but im wondering if its really worth it to shell out a couple hundred bucks every time a new toy comes out? Thats the dilemma im in right now because for the longest time, ive wanted the 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Hikaru and the 1/60 YF-19 and I havent been able to get them. But now, I have the financial ability to get them but after thinkin for a while, im kinda stuck between buying a toy that will just sit on my desk and collect dust or i could use my money on important stuff like car payments, cell phone etc...

Anyways, I was just wondering if I could get your opinion on if its worth it or not.

I believe it depends on how desperate you are to have it. For example I am not desperate to own all the master piece transformer toys despite being cheaper than yamato valks, but that doesn't mean the MP are not "worth" what you pay for them. Worth to you as a fan varies from person to person. Like a music CD might not be worth the price you pay at retail for it but if you could get it cheap you might be tempted to buy it. Your desire to own something might change (look at the low visibility vf-1 for example) depending on whether the item is easy or hard to come by. (eg I bought the Qrau because I am a fan of the armour, but know it isn't really "worth" the high price compared to the transforming valkyrie toys which are loaded with gimmicks and detail. But because it is the only enemy mecha, I wanted to jump at the chance to buy it as support for more of that to appear.)

Some people have 1 expensive hobby, others have many and if you have other interests you might not be willing to put all he money towards a bunch of toys. What I do is sacrifice one thing I like for another thing I like and only purchase the must have items. (I have no completist collector desire) Then wait for prices to drop. (regardless of whether it is affordable it makes good sense to be patient and buy stuff when it goes on sale: many games I buy for example are cheap more because of the age and time I purchased them more than their "worth" as a good game)

So instead of having a Cell phone, I might view it as non-essential and just not have one. Wanting to upgrade the computer? Just go without a new upgrade. Fuel expenses? Maybe ride your bike! Like to eat fancy Food? Just go without it. Need to buy clothes? Stop wearing expensive labels for 1 year. heheh.. So you trade one luxury for another luxury. Sure a toy just sits there to collect dust, but so does a trophy, a family photo, a painting you frame on the wall, books that you haven't read in years that you've collected throughout the years and many other things. But people find personal worth in them.

Maybe like with comic book it has something to do with rareness of the issue, or maybe part of it is to do with reliving their childhood (adults out to collect old star wars figures) or something else: like people who have amassed a large stamp collection. For some it is as simple as "I'm a fan of this show" and they have lots of money so the high cost doesn't bother them much. All of this stuff is 'worth' something to those people that value it for whatever personal reason. And because taste varies you tend to spend the amount of money based on this materialistic 'desperation' level to own it. At the end of the day, how much it is worth is dependent on how big a fan of something you are. ie I'm not a HUGE fan of starwars or transformers so I can live without them, regardless of the high quality of the item itself. But it's different for macross: there was once a time when toys were hard to come by so it must be that people are used to paying high price for stuff and so this 'desperation' level to obtain toys is upped a few notches.

Maybe it should be nicknamed the "low visibility" effect which would have a double meaning:

1. the item isn't easy to find, so asking price is upped, due to low visibility, :D

and

(2) the item refers to the limited quantity of the LV toy, which suddenly makes the diehard collectors want to pay good money to exclusively feel they have "the complete collection" over their rival collectors as bragging rights to feel special)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

It's definitely worth it if the toys give you a sense of awe, or pride, or happiness, and you have the spare ducats lying around to throw at a collector's toy. I have and always will love transformable mecha, and the new Yamato 1/60 line and the 1/48 VF-1 series are, to me, some the best ever produced, and IMHO, the best Macross variable toys produced to date, so to me, they are worth every penny, little flaws notwithstanding. Choosing just one is tough, but there are plenty of us here that own these toys and will gladly give you the pros and cons.

If I had to choose just one, ultimately I'd hold out for the upcoming 1/60 VF-1. The 1/48 is damn near perfect, The VF-0 gave Yamato an opportunity to take the basic VF-1 design and innovate, and the new 1/60 looks to be a smaller, more refined version of the 1/48. And, the VF-1 is the quintessential variable fighter in all of Macross. hope this helps.

-M'Kyuun

yeah ill keep my options open and see what happens. I just know that it wont turn into another gundam collection like i have now. when I did display my gundam models, i had 2 book cases full of models and still was short on room. Since the 1/48 macross toys are obviously bigger than most gundam models, ill probly stick to 2 or 3. But I did have a thought....has anyone tried hanging a VF-1 or YF-19 from the celing?? I ask cuz ive got a ton of airplane models on my celing and i always figured that if I didnt have room to put the yamatos, that i would hang them from the celing. my only concern would be that they would be too heavy to hang from the celing. I think it would be kinda cool to see a VF-1 hanging next to a P-51D :D

The 1/48 scale Yammies aren't as light as models, which I think you suspected anyway. But at the same time, they are not heavy toys. Big though they may be, they are quite light. I've never hung a Yammie from the ceiling, but I'd be confident doing so. No problem.

The 1/48 scale Yammies aren't as light as models, which I think you suspected anyway. But at the same time, they are not heavy toys. Big though they may be, they are quite light. I've never hung a Yammie from the ceiling, but I'd be confident doing so. No problem.

Quite light while solid. Add a GBP or FAST Pack to them, and it is a different story. If anything I find it quite heavy.

If you have disposable income it is worth it. But if you have to decide between a carpayment and a toy then it is not worth it.

it's just like alcohol or smoking or any habit. If you are not paying your bills to buy them then you need help :p

If its a choice between doing something you like or buying the toy, its worth it.

I have never regreted my toy purchases, but I have never not paid bills or fed my family to buy them either.

That would be a good question, would you kick your smoking habit to aquire Valks with the funds saved? :p

Are there any smokers here?

i did. i slowed down .... only now smoking 1 stick a day. also ive slowed down too on my alcohol consumption just to save funds for toys.

i took a part time job besides my regular job just to able to buy the high prize valk like the low vis etc. and to keep up the with the new releases :lol:

i did. i slowed down .... only now smoking 1 stick a day. also ive slowed down too on my alcohol consumption just to save funds for toys.

Yeah i've slowed my party juice too, well, only on the holidays and birthdays i really only drank, but seriously there is alot of money to be spent an alcohol just in those 3 weeks of public holidays and birthdays, football games all put together. :p

of course when the wife and i start making little ruskiiVFaussie's then no alcohol will be ever thought of. :p

Guess i'll start party crashing! :lol: This christmas/end of year celebration period i may have spent a few hundred.

Valkyrie Fuel... all gone to waste! (but enjoyed lol) T___T

Kids soon... Valkyrie Fuel, depleting!!!

Man, I don't know what the big issue is. I use my addiction to Macross toys to force me to be more successful at my career. More cash = more valks.

I started out as a freelance comic book artist years ago and now I'm a technical director at a game company all in the name of my growing valk collection. :p :P

So use it as a positive force in your life! Think of vast fleets of yamato valks and how you are going to attain them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with you man, already looking for a more higher paying job :p training ect will help that!

I do enjoy the rum every now and then but really the consumables gotta be less consumed and those Valks will be in that cabinet alot quicker!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

And you probably will HAVE to get the 1/48 Strike/FP set too for your Hikky.

This is what happens when you buy your first one

And I would need at least another 5 of these Ikea Display Cases to display all my stuff which is currently being stored in expensive plastic bins