Golgo 13

areaseven

From the Anime News Network:

Golgo 13 Television Anime Greenlit

The official website of Shogakukan's Big Comic magazine has posted the cover image of its January 10 issue (on sale December 25) which indicates that Takao Saito's Golgo 13 assassin manga will be adapted for television anime. An interior page reveals that the anime project will start next spring in Japan.

The manga recounts the assignments that an amoral mercenary assassin named Duke "Golgo 13" Togo executes on almost every continent in the world. Big Comic has been serializing the title since 1968, and the 147th compiled volume was published in Japan on December 5. Viz Media has published 12 graphic novel volumes in English, under its Viz Signature imprint, since 2006. The manga has already been adapted as a live-action movie (Golgo 13: The Kowloon Assignment) and two animated movies (Golgo 13: The Professional and Golgo 13: Queen Bee). Worldwide Pictures released an English-dubbed version of the live-action movie, and Urban Vision released both animated movies with English dubbing and subtitles.

• 3 months later...

Ok so now i know what's the story behind Duke Togo's avatar. :lol:

Pretty cool. Animation was kinda dodgy especially in the bedroom shootout but otherwise quite enjoyable episode.

All the men in the anime had equally broad shoulders as Golgo. I LOL-ed.

Apparently he's damn good in bed. The woman's moans are testament to that.

He is paranoid to enter any enclosed space 1st (car/lift), in case its a trap.

Ok so now i know what's the story behind Duke Togo's avatar. :lol:

Pretty cool. Animation was kinda dodgy especially in the bedroom shootout but otherwise quite enjoyable episode.

All the men in the anime had equally broad shoulders as Golgo. I LOL-ed.

Apparently he's damn good in bed. The woman's moans are testament to that.

He is paranoid to enter any enclosed space 1st (car/lift), in case its a trap.

I second that. I myself was pretty curious about our own Duke Togo's avatar. :lol:

I've seen the animation of this thing and it seems to have a 70s or 80s feel to it. Looks very old (no offense) like the Original Gundam.

• 3 months later...
Eh...it's been ok, but with the extremely episodic story I'm finding it fairly disposable.

Its G13 man... Thats what the comic is. You can take a G13 comic written in the 60s and one written last week and you wouldn't know which one is new and which one is old. Saito has not changed a thing with the formula since the 60's. First comment I made to our DT, is "ah, only fans of Golgo 13 are really going to like this."

How far are you? I would say episode 9 and 10 were outstanding.

I haven't watched the latest episodes released. The slow schedule is causing it to be lost in the jumble. Still, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. i agree that one sort of needs to be a fan, or just like episodic things to really enjoy this. Though i agree that a two parter would be nice.

Speaking of it, what does our own Duke Togo think of this. I'd think his opinion would be paramount on the matter.

I haven't watched the latest episodes released. The slow schedule is causing it to be lost in the jumble. Still, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. i agree that one sort of needs to be a fan, or just like episodic things to really enjoy this. Though i agree that a two parter would be nice.

Speaking of it, what does our own Duke Togo think of this. I'd think his opinion would be paramount on the matter.

DT is to busy hand washing his panties to watch this show. HAHA!

Just kidding. He hasn't started yet... He has a ton of stuff going on and can barely keep up with Macross Frontier. He will catch up with G13 in the next few weeks, or so he has promised me.

What does GOlgo13 do with all the money he gets from his jobs anyway?

Something we will never know... In the Professional we saw him living in some abandoned resort somewhere in Florida I think. Recovering from a 9mm round to the gut. I think the idea is, he needs that kind of cash to keep from being tracked.

Look at it this way though, since 1969 the guy has been bangin women, none of which he ever thought was anything but disposable, never seemed to care about much other than getting the job done either. I don't think Saito will change the formula.

Something we will never know... In the Professional we saw him living in some abandoned resort somewhere in Florida I think. Recovering from a 9mm round to the gut. I think the idea is, he needs that kind of cash to keep from being tracked.

Look at it this way though, since 1969 the guy has been bangin women, none of which he ever thought was anything but disposable, never seemed to care about much other than getting the job done either. I don't think Saito will change the formula.

I wonder what happens when he has a mid-life crisis...

I watched the first couple of episodes... seems like a fun series, I'll probably check the rest of them out. Thanks for highlighting it.

In the 13 best Manga reprint they did this year they tried to figure out his money. Its an obscene amount and they figure that he has to use alot of it to pay off the right people and to keep up with technology.

^_^

Well, he did seem to have a bit of a softspot for Queen Bee... too bad she was his target though.

Yeah... I hated that movie... havn't bothered watching the show. Not my thing.

Watched the first episode. The animation is a bit painful, and I was kinda shocked by the pipe laying session. Wasn't expecting that in a TV show.

Does the show have any sort of story arch, or is it a mission an episode?

Watched the first episode. The animation is a bit painful, and I was kinda shocked by the pipe laying session. Wasn't expecting that in a TV show.

Does the show have any sort of story arch, or is it a mission an episode?

you're talking about the current one right? Its a mission per episode. ;)

I am now up to ep 8 or 9 and one of the previous episodes featured the OICW and some other gun that Golgo had to go against. It was completely fictional though because those guns could fire bullets OVER obstacles. Hilarious. :lol: (The OICW's true-world feature is a time-delayed 20mm cannon/grenade which can be used to fire over obstacles and detonate after they reach a certain height or time-delayed.) But of course Golgo is > than some stinking physics defying gun.

I just can't bring myself to watch more of this right now.

What kind of G13 fan are you!!??? What do you mean? This show is so awesome I am thinking of killing a homeless man to celebrate!