If you could make any Anime into live-action...

Sarensaas

Ok, say you are Mr. Hollywood, with Spielberg or Bruckheimer-level clout, and you had your choice of any anime to make into a live-action movie for otakus all around the world to pick apart, with a $150 million dollar budget (because your name is attached to it, it gets green-lighted and the budget, of course...), WHICH ANIME WOULD YOU MAKE??

I thought about something Gundam, but there is so much back-story in that case. I would choose Gunbuster, and do a film-2-movies-at-once deal. I would update the look of the mecha a bit, yet keep it recognizable, and cast someone like Rachel Leigh Cook or someone like that as Noriko. Use a lot of digital effects to empasize the SIZE of everything and the intense space battles.

I also thought about Macross Plus and Golden Boy(heh heh) as movies.

So, Mr. Hollywood, what would YOU make??

Kinda like a Golgo 13 / Kill Bill thing.... Butcherfest!

Main character: Great looking muscular guy (model after myself ;) )

The guy would be an up and comming hit man/opportunist he would work his way through through the scum of the earth getting tons of cash and leaving thousands dead behind him. Innocent and bad, who cares. He would also pork tons of chicks and care about none of them he would also make dinner for the girls that he porks and they wouldn't know it but what they would be eating are the body parts of people he has killed.

He would also kill the mothers of all the people who screwed with him. He would make them watch as they burned to death, or were eaten by starved rats or something. Then he would remove their eyes, their toungs and their limbs but leave them alive.

I can't emphasize butcherfest enough... it would make Kill Bill look like Disney.

I guess I didn't really answer the question directly:

I would remake Golgo 13 The Professional... but with the extra violence stuff above, as if G13 wasn't violent enough.

i honestly dont think you could do it, every time ive ever seen a live action version of something, it blows.

sailor moon

great teacher onizuka

dragon ball (though it was fun laughing through it)

i know there are more but these are the ones i could come up with for now

a better question would be, what actor could approximate the things about anime that we find so cool? maybe willem dafoe, very expressive face, but who would he be? they already messed the green goblin up by taking away the one thing that would have made dafoe great, his ability to screw his face up.

I would probably make trigun, cowboy bebop, and possibly escaflowne. These I wouldn't mind seeing as the technology to make these movies look like the anime is getting closer and closer. :p:D:lol:

I'd make Robotech... then I'd have A7 as my casting director... YEAH... Tera as Minmay... I can see it now...

:mellow:

where was I?

Oh yeah... hell I'd make Gunsmith Cats, no effects - just cars, guns, girls, more cars, more guns, and more girls. I'd do it under 50 million and pocket the rest... yeah!!!

I wouldn't. I'd rather take a live action movie and turn it into a cartoon not vice versa. Why take characters and objects that depend on anime magic and bring them into the real world to constrain them by real world physics and limited special effects?! It's going backwards.

As much as I'd dearly love to make Robotech into a live-action movie, I know that it'd turn out like DYRL: A simplified version with great eye-candy that only fans of the original show could appreciate.

Robotech, and most other anime shows, would best be served as TV series' or mini-series on TV.

However, if I had to pick one, I'd make Detonator Orgun into a live-action movie trilogy. Great show, that.

I'd make Robotech... then I'd have A7 as my casting director... YEAH... Tera as Minmay... I can see it now...

where was I?

Oh yeah... hell I'd make Gunsmith Cats, no effects - just cars, guns, girls, more cars, more guns, and more girls. I'd do it under 50 million and pocket the rest... yeah!!!

hahha, as usual, you had to bring up tera again. Wow, tera as minmay. That would work, if this topic was for hentai anime turned into live action! :p:D:lol: But still, I would like to see tera as minmay. mmmmm....tera....... :p

I wouldn't. I'd rather take a live action movie and turn it into a cartoon not vice versa. Why take characters and objects that depend on anime magic and bring them into the real world to constrain them by real world physics and limited special effects?! It's going backwards.

I think it fails both ways... the only decent cartoon that ever came out of a big movie franchise I could think of is probably the Ghostbusters cartoon. Even the Droids and Ewoks toons weren't that great. There a cartoon being shown right now, Buzz Lightyear, that's based on computer animation and it's still crap.

I'd like to see a live action version of Berserk.

:blink:

"GO GUTSU!"

I would also like to see Cowboy Bebop, that would be kick-ass!

Call me crazy but I'd like to see a live action version of a Shirow piece, maybe Appleseed? Only problem is that in reality it'd end up looking cheesy as hell without a decent budget, so I hope $150mil would be enough. :lol:

Otherwise I agree with Exo's suggestion of a Gunsmith Cats manga. Director would be important, most people would suggest John Woo but he's proven that he's incompetant. Although Hard Boiled (look it up, his best film ever) was decent. My gut says Guy Ritchie would make an interesting movie, and the street-style of Gunsmith Cats kinda fits with his past (pre-Madonna) works.

Otherwise I'd say John Frankenheimer, although he's no longer with us.

Speed Racer/Mach Go Go Go. Behind all the childish stuff, there's some good family drama there (Racer X/Speed/Pops), plus spies, intrigue, exotic locations, and fast cars. The only problem is, I think they'd have to tone down all the Mach One gadgetry or it'll just be too corny/campy as a live action movie.

Well, if you insist...

The Macross Saga

Rick Hunter - Peter North

Lisa Hayes - Tera Patrick

Lynn Minmay - Jun Kusanagi

Roy Fokker - Rocco Siffredi

Captain Gloval - Ron Jeremy

Claudia - Midori

Miriya - Aria Giovanni

Azonia - Jewel De Nyle

Kim - Sylvia Saint

Sammy - Violet Blue

Vanessa - Raylene

The Robotech Masters

Dana Sterling - Jenna Jameson

Bowie Grant - Sean Michaels

Marie Crystal - Asia Carrera

Nova Satori - Lexus Locklear

Musica - Jasmin St. Claire

The New Generation

Rook Bartley - Briana Banks

Annie LaBelle - Nikki Dial

Marlene - Nici Sterling

Sera - Jill Kelly

Robotech II: The Sentinels

Karen Penn - Devon

Janice Em - Stephanie Swift

Invid Regis - Marilyn Chambers

Special thanks to Noriko Takaya for the Sentinels suggestions.

Going back on topic...

Golgo 13

There was already a live-action version titled Golgo 13: The Kowloon Assignment starring Sonny Chiba. I did, however, had this idea of a live-action adaptation starring Steven Seagal as Duke Togo and Jack Palance as Leonard Dawson.

M.D. Geist

I'm surprised that Central Park Media hasn't pursued a live-action adaptation of their adopted mascot. Imagine the film directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black) and starring Dolph Lundgren as Geist.

Edited by areaseven

Well, if you insist...

The Macross Saga

Rick Hunter - Peter North

Lisa Hayes - Tera Patrick

Lynn Minmay - Jun Kusanagi

Roy Fokker - Rocco Siffredi

Captain Gloval - Ron Jeremy

Claudia - Midori

Miriya - Aria Giovanni

Azonia - Jewel De Nyle

Kim - Sylvia Saint

Sammy - Violet Blue

Vanessa - Raylene

The Robotech Masters

Dana Sterling - Jenna Jameson

Bowie Grant - Sean Michaels

Marie Crystal - Asia Carrera

Nova Satori - Lexus Locklear

Musica - Jasmin St. Claire

The New Generation

Rook Bartley - Briana Banks

Annie LaBelle - Nikki Dial

Marlene - Nici Sterling

Sera - Jill Kelly

Robotech II: The Sentinels

Karen Penn - Devon

Janice Em - Stephanie Swift

Invid Regis - Marilyn Chambers

Special thanks to Noriko Takaya for the Sentinels suggestions.

Now that is a cast!

Edited by Hurricane29

What is with this constant desire of some fans to want to make live action versions of anime? I just don't get it.

Is anime not good enough or something? Do you honestly feel that anime would be better if it was turned into live action? If that's the case, why bother with watching anime at all, just stick to watching Hollywood movies! :angry:

I have absolutely no interest in seeing live action versions of any anime. IMO, there are far more high quality animes being made every year in Japan than there are good movies or TV series coming out of the US.

I can not think of a single example where a live action adaptation of an anime has been better than the original.

Graham

I can not think of a single example where a live action adaptation of an anime has been better than the original.

Wicked City? ;):lol:

Wicked City is actually one of my favorite animes. Secret agents, cool demons, sexy girls and the hero has a great gun, a custom heavy barrel .454 Casual Super Redhawk. Great anime.

The HK live action adaptation with Leon Lai was terrible, the worst part being when the Black Guard (or whatever they called themselves in the HK movie) used their powers to stop the 747 crashing into the bank of China building (IIRC). Michelle Reis was cute as always though.

Graham

I remeber seeing the live action version on TV.. it was crap! About the only anime I can think of that I'd watch as a live action movie is Perfect Blue, as it plays like a live action film anyway.

You gotta ask yourself one question. Are GITS SAC, Perfect Blue, Jin Roh, Akira, Cowboy Bebop etc so bad that they would be improved upon in any way by turning them into live action?

The answer, at least in my book is of course a resounding 'NO'!

I have a great respect for anime and the extremely talented people who create it and I have no desire to see their work despoiled by turning it into some bastardised, second rate, hollywood hackjob, live action abomination.

Graham

Four words,

Kagaku Ninja Tai Gatchaman!

Cast suggestions anyone?

~G25

Two words: HELL NO!

There was already one attempt to make a live-action Gatchaman. It was an NTT commercial series featuring the boy group SMAP as the Gatchaman team. It looked cheesy as hell and I'm glad it was limited to two commercials.