Rob Liefeld vs The Bible

bsu legato

Jeremy007

I think this is the very heart of the issue. Leifeld's style of art has always been very divisive among comic book fans. That's the problem. Unlike Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, et cetera, Leifeld's work is inwardly more esoteric. Some fans call it accomplished and even declare it their favorite style (such as yourself), but for a significant portion of general fandom his work suffers from aesthetic faults that really rub people the wrong way. Leifeld as a person is really secondary to the point, though if one is an artist with a "love it/hate it" style to begin with, courting controversy in ones career probably isn't the best way to make a lot of friends :)

im a huge comic fan, and Liefeld happens to be my favorite artist. Rob, along with Jim Lee and Frank Miller are my top 3. Im glad most comic artists dont draw photo realistic people...if i wanted realism, id watch the news. These are COMIC books, they are supposed to be over the top. Jack Kirby was so far from being anotomically accurate its not even funny, but do people bash him? Nope. Any comic fan who likes Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Jim Steranko, John Byrne, Steve Ditko, John Romita, John Romita Jr...etc..cannot complain about photo realism and correct anatomy. No one on that list is critcized except liefeld.

plus..any of you out there who like Manga have got to have all the same complaints about anatomy in those books as you do for liefeld art. Manga has some of the most over the top exaggerated anatomy ive ever seen.

Thats because if an artist has no grip on reality there is no way in hell his styalized interpretations will ever have merit. Its like they say, "you have to know the rules before you break them". People mention Bruce Timm but its obvious he knows his stuff, even though its very styalized. Aside the horrendous anatomy, which Liefeld is notorious for, he is not able to convey a story well through his panel, and as said earlier, he is a notorious hack. He is one of the artists that people remember for bad comics of the 90's. One of the ones who only drew pin ups and had panels as an excuse for smaller pin ups. He's one of

"them" guys. The guys who drew bad, forgettable comics, and drew like almost everyone else at the time, a fad that should have died during inception but lasted for a LONG time. Just because he drew more lines doesn't mean he was better. In fact his overly rendered drawings are annoying to look at, hell amateur even. What seperates him from Jim Lee, is that Jim Lee, well is actually good.

All the artists you mentioned had diverse styles but all had a sense of anatomy and storytelling. Liefeld does not belong amongst the likes of Steranko and Ditko. Of the ones you mentioned he is most comparable to Turner, but even then, Turner is better. A manga artist such as Otomo Katsushiro is a much more superior storyteller than Liefeld.

Sometimes when people do realistic proportions or add realism to their drawing, as in Brian Hitch and Alex Ross, it looks even more fantastic than the overdone straining steroid freak with multiple muscle on muscle... I mean when you see someone draw a huge guy with a huge gun that has overblown arms wrapped it bendable metal... you almost expect him to kick ass with no exertion. Now Captain America, drawn in a believable manner, jumping out of an airplane, not gritting his teeth but obviously calculating his next move after he lands tells me more about him and his character. Like I said, I don't mind the exaggerated look either but either one has to have some sort of effort... When I buy books I like to think that people put some work into it and it's not drawn by some kid during class because he didn't feel like listening to the teacher.

and to call the thread Rob Liefeld VS the bible is a bit misleading. Rob is a very religous man, his father was a minister and Rob has always been facinated with the stories of the bible. Being the big sci-fi fan that he is, he thought it would fun to put a futuristic sci-fi take on some bible stories.

I remember reading a long time ago about Rob being a Christian though I didn't know to what extent or if he was a Catholic or Protestant, etc. Though I've been out of buying comics for some time, it will be interesting to see where Rob's take on the Old Testament goes.

As for the idea of Noah's Ark being a starship instead of a boat, I have heard that theory before.

God I forgot about that site devoted to Liefeld. He's a terrible artist. I love how all of his characters look pretty much the same. He draws maybe 5 different body types. He has no concept of backgorunds and page layouts. Everything is a splash page or a pinup.

1) Half nekkid sex kitten with a broken back, and twigs for ankles and waist

2) Big ole scruffy guy with large wrist, pouches, and carrying a cannons in each arm

3) wolverine look a like

4) Skinny guy with wild hairand big mouth-- See Cannonball

5) Large juggernaut type

I laugh evertime I see that pic he drew of Captain America with breast.

OH man. That link to his 40 worst was hilarious.

Where is this link? I want to see it but can't find it on the page...

Nevermind, found it through googling...thanks for letting me know it existed though. Hilarious stuff.

Edited by hutch

That website on Liefeld is hilarious. I used to live in Fullerton, near Yorba Linda/Placentia where Rob used to live (I think he still does) and always bumped into him and his Extreme Studios crew. I can tell you he loves his Taco Bell since I always saw him there.

"Rob Liefeld is still getting commissioned to do work for both major comics publishers. He is one of the most successful, recognizable, well-known and popular comic book artists in history despite being difficult to work with, egotistical, contrary and missing deadlines on a consistent basis. He has made more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes. He still cannot draw a foot."

I laugh evertime I see that pic he drew of Captain America with breast.

I wonder how his Cap'n ever gets through a door. But really, I laugh at his Captain America when I see it.

Once a hack, always a hack. Any clues as to why this guy is still working in the comic industry?

He brings in money, what can you say....

Michael Bay can at least point the camera in the right direction, and Uwe Boll can only dream of having Liefeld's success. Naw, if he's anybody, he's the comic version of Stephen Sommers. No real talent, but successful enough to make people think he's talented.

It's funny how every walk of life has that successful hack personality you just love to hate. Comics has Rob Liefeld. PC gaming has John Romero. Film has Uwe Boll. At least they provide entertainment outside of their respective industries if not within :)

He's been around now ... how many years? Remember Young Blood ?

Don't worry if you don't these characters look just like them.

His style hasn't matured one bit.

wow, that's what shatterstar looks like all growed up out of his 80's motley crue roadie days (moses)...I hated ol' Rob when I read comics, and now I see I still hate him...

Edited by Excillon

I would think that he's more like the Paris Hilton of comics. You don't really know why he's popular but you enjoy making fun of him.

Well, Paris is the poster child for socialite fops and do-nothings. He may not be that great, but Liefeld at least did and does work for his money, however ill-conceived the result may be so I'd have to quash the comparison :)