About Millia 639 (Miria) in Macross 7

Isamu test pilot

Her VF-11B is featured in the "Macross 7 Plus (Top Gamlin)" segment shown after episode 20. The detailing on the fighter clearly identifies it as a VF-11B (the line details just rear of the cockpit are present, something the C line art lacks and thus instantly identifying it as a B variant.)

LoL can we just settle this once and for all? It's Milia not Miria. Miria was a translation error which led to her name being Miria in Robotech. Asians pronounce their L's as R's. It's not stereotyping, it's fact. There were a few other names that were mis-translated in the M7 subs to. Whoever did those subs had obviously seen robotech before macross. ;) I mean, they called me Exedore for pete's sake!

Edited by Exsedol

LoL can we just settle this once and for all? It's Milia not Miria. Miria was a translation error which led to her name being Miria in Robotech. Asians pronounce their L's as R's. It's not stereotyping, it's fact. There were a few other names that were mis-translated in the M7 subs to. Whoever did those subs had obviously seen robotech before macross. ;) I mean, they called me Exedore for pete's sake!

Well, the correct name is Millia 639 and Millia Jenius, because of the pronounciation issue in japanese you can use l or r in romanji for latinoamerica a least (I am in Mexico), that´s why I think is not mush trouble to write Milia o Miria. The problem with the sub depends of the person who made the sub or translate or modified the names for Robotech where her name is Miriya.

Well in a personal opinion I do not like any of the names of the Macross chara in R. :angry:

Edited by Isamu test pilot

I'm used to reading it in katakana, not in romaji/English. I am used to seeing Minmay written that way due to illustrations. I'll continue with the "r" spelling that I am comfortable with, not because of Robotech, but because I'm used to hearing it spoken in Japanese as "Miria".

I've also seen on the 1/60 VF-1J, 1/48 VF-1J, and 1/60 Q-rau that they're all designated as "Miria".

Didn't realize it was a serious issue. I use Milia on my website but I'm not sure why. I think I just artbitrarily chose one and tried to stick to it. Perhaps Miria just sounds too familiar, like Maria. Not that there's anything wrong with Maria (it's a fine name) but Milia sounds more foreign and exotic. Hence, more alien.

The official Robotech spelling is Miriya, with a "y". Miria is just as legitimate a spelling as Milia or Millia. There is no definitive way to romanize. There are several systems for romanization, none of which is universally accepted, and L and R are never perfectly clear. You just try to figure out what they meant as best as possible. If it's something like, "Lock and loll!", you can tell they meant "Rock and roll!", but with a name like Miria or Millia or whatever, there's no definitive answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization

The original and revised variants of Hepburn remain the most widely used methods of transcription of Japanese. As Hepburn is based on English phonology, an English speaker unfamiliar with Japanese will generally pronounce a word romanized in Hepburn more accurately than a word romanized in the competing Kunrei-shiki Rōmaji (Cabinet-ordered system). Likewise, native Japanese speakers familiar with the Roman alphabet through the study of English tend to find Hepburn more comfortable for English context than Kunrei.

Ergo ミリア F. ジーナス* is Miria F. Jiinasu,

ミリア ファリーナ** is Miria Fariina,

& BTW, エキセドル*** is Ekisedoru.

That said, the producers of Macross have opted for non-standard**** romanizations of some of the names and terms in Macross in the past. Therefore, does anyone have a reference to Miria, written as Milia, in roman characters, in a Japanese document on Macross?

*Macross Perfect Memory Pg 119

** TIAS Macross Seven Pg 27

*** also TIAS Macross Seven Pg 27

**** By this, I mean not only non-standard romanizations as per Heburn and it's derivatives (the English native speaker standard, and system used by the Japanese government most of the time) or Kinrei-shiki (Kinreisiki), but also non-standard translations of Japanese terms into English (Inspection vs. Supervision.)

Asians pronounce their L's as R's. It's not stereotyping, it's fact.

Fact 1: Asians have different languages, and different dialects in each language. Generalizing that all Asians pronounce L as R is wrong. Do the people of the Middle East do it? How about Russians? Or were you really referring to East Asians only?

Fact 2: Japanese and Korean (and most likely other East Asian languages) do NOT have L or R sounds in their language. They have a sound which is pretty much right in the middle of the two. For the pronunciation ease of Native English speakers, ら,り,る,れ,ろ,りゃ,りゅ,りょ and ㄹ are romanized as ra, ri, ru, re, ro, rya, ryu, ryo, and r.

Therefore, when a Japanese or Korean says any word that has an R or an L sound in it, they tend to pronounce it the opposite (ferry becomes felly, full becomes furr.) Japanese and Korean are Altaic languages after all, and not from the Indo-European language family.

Macross 7 has several scenes where we see her name on-screen as "Milia". So I spell it that way. (look for campaign posters and banners, that's the best place to see it)

I also think we see "Milia" onscreen at least once in the original TV series.

I was thinking about changing my MW name to Milia as the Miriya spelling is the Robotech spelling and I have long been converted to Macross but if it was not for Robotech I probably would not have found Macross so I suppose it is acceptable.

Macross 7 has several scenes where we see her name on-screen as "Milia". So I spell it that way. (look for campaign posters and banners, that's the best place to see it)

I also think we see "Milia" onscreen at least once in the original TV series.

The original show inconsistently spells several names on screen. We see "Minmei" written on her door with the bunny at her aunt's house, and "Minmay" written on a concert poster. This doesn't really prove anything.

Komiria Maria Jenius. When she grows older, she's hot. :D As are all the Jenius daughters.

Well... I can't say for Miranda. Miracle, Muse, and Therese look like they'll be hot when they become teenagers. We've already seen the awesomeness that is Emilia. :D

Edited by Sumdumgai

Komiria Maria Jenius. When she grows older, she's hot. :D As are all the Jenius daughters.

Well... I can't say for Miranda. Miracle, Muse, and Therese look like they'll be hot when they become teenagers. We've already seen the awesomeness that is Emilia. :D

I just wish I was a anime charactor now ^_^

There are some anime characters that I wish were human, available, and live in my town!

There are... ^_^ ....well.....I guess their not real anime girls if you make real girls dress like them.....or are they real :huh:

I have yet to see a real woman pull off Mai Shiranui or Tifa Lockheart's gravity defying boobs while keeping those slim figures.

Only in havasu where I used to live where the ladies are to die for. Gravity defying ohhhh yeahhhhh :D

Then I feel sorry for you. :lol:

Okay, wait let me rephrase that. "I have yet to see a real woman pull off Mai Shiranui or Tifa Lockheart's gravity defying boobs while keeping those slim figures, while having a nice face." The ones I have seen had rather plain homely faces.

Now the question. Does Miria (okay Millia, Milia, you guys happy?) have naturally green hair?

Edited by Sumdumgai

I know of one way to find out!!!

Did I say that?

EDIT: I feel bad about saying that for some reason. Maybe because I am not normally the kind of person to make those remarks. Maybe because I have respect for Milia as a character, as a strong intelligent independent kick-ass woman. But the other part of me is constantly looking for an excuse to say something naughty. /innerVoice>

Edited by miriya