Takeshi Murakami Exhibit at MOCA Los Angeles

miriya

I just saw Takeshi Murakami's exhibit at the MOCA in Los Angeles. It was very cool. If any of you get the chance it is well worth the visit. Plus you can get excellent sushi in Little Tokyo and you can go to Jungle Anime afterwards too.

So the most mind blowing piece in the exhibit is a collection of three life size sculptures. I think it was called Second Mission but I may have remembered incorrectly. What it looked like to me, and I may be wrong, was a woman in a neon genesis evangelion pilot suit, like maybe Askuka but with Rei's hair color but the torso from below the neck to the bottom of the vagina was bare and there were wings coming off. There were three modes too, the second one was like a gerwalk mode and the third was a fighter mode where the woman becomes a fighter jet and looked just like the YF-19 design. Anyway it is just gorgeous.

EDIT: By the way the photos here of the second mission project are from a different version. The one at MOCA had light blue metallic colored hair and a Minmay Guard Paint Scheme.

If you are anywhere near LA or will be there before February visiting you have got to go to Little Tokyo in Downtown LA and see this exhibit at the MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art). I think there are two MOCAs there and this one used to be called the Temporary Contemporary but is now called the Geffen MOCA, If I remember correctly.

The rest of the exhibit is great too. Really cool work. Multimedia. Great stuff.

http://www.moca.org/

Edited by Roy Focker

Takeshi Murakami creates some really strange figures. The "variable girl" one was even sold as a resin kit in HLJ at some point long ago.

If anyone anywhere has one of these kits I will sell body parts (not necessarily mine but maybe if the circumstances deem it necessary) to get one of these kits. When I saw this piece I first of all wanted it for my home (small apartment) but then thought that a figure would be be great (takes up less room than a statue).

Interesting looking exhibit. Some of it is a little too bizarre for me but I do like the transforming mech girl!

www.1999.co.jp lists the kit wolfx was referring to but it's long out of production. Since it's NSFW, you can find it if you search for "S.M.P. Ko2", including out-of-stock items. I thought it was neat back then & still think it's neat today. Nice design! :) Good luck trying to find one though. It might be easier building one from scratch and you can add the Low-Viz scheme or the "modesty"-scheme! ^_^

10014513f.jpg

Interesting looking exhibit. Some of it is a little too bizarre for me but I do like the transforming mech girl!

www.1999.co.jp lists the kit wolfx was referring to but it's long out of production. Since it's NSFW, you can find it if you search for "S.M.P. Ko2", including out-of-stock items. I thought it was neat back then & still think it's neat today. Nice design! :) Good luck trying to find one though. It might be easier building one from scratch and you can add the Low-Viz scheme or the "modesty"-scheme! ^_^

Thank you so much for this information. Thanks to you I have found this kit available on yahoo auctions Japan. Unfortunately the current price is 99,900 JPY which is about $872.00 USD, which is way out of my price range for now. However if I do sell my kidney and one of my lungs I may be able to swing this and rent for next month. For now I will continue to go to the blood bank to save up for my Nora which is on preorder. In the meantime I am going to ask my buddy Toshiyaki Yokoyama who is living in Tokyo to help find me this kit for less than an organs worth. If he can not find it by February then I will have to also consider limbs. I really want this kit!

Edited by miriya

Oh my, they had a life-size vesion of that kit? I remember seeing it before and being horrified by it. Valk girls are one thing, but a girl that transforms like that is just too damned creepy. :p

Oh Sumdumgai, this is just awesome. You have got to see it in person. It is totally creepy which is probably one of the reasons I like it so much. But the one at MOCA has a minmei guard paint scheme! I must be pretty deranged to be so in love with this piece! Oh well, so be it :rolleyes:

I've seen that girl-former displayed at Kaiyodo in Akihabara a long time ago. Although not the life size one, but it was quite a large kit.

I had no idea that was Murakami... Nosecone idea was extremely bizzare, but that's how VF-0/1's are if I think about it...

If this was something more fembot mecha like thing (sans flesh). That would be something I might get.

MW is unofficially PG-13, and we've received complaints about the thread. That's why the first post was edited. As for this time----without loading and saving each pic individually to track down which is which due to how MW stores attachments, it's nearly impossible to 'selectively' remove 'offending' pics---so they had to all go.

Hi everyone. I am so sorry that the pics were offensive. I did not realize that this would be a problem. Please forgive me for my lack of awareness on this point.

I found out from Toshiyaki that the kit was a limited run of 500 units and at the time cost about $500, that they are only found on auctions now and run about $800. So it is off the morgue for me.

On the plus side it was a bloodless, goreless transformation! :) The idle thought of what a human would look like transforming into a fighter mode creeped me out. Curse my overly active imagination! (not really, I like my imagination, it just disturbs me sometimes :p ).

I won't say who complain first but I was the one who deleted the first set of pictures. Some were just nude but one of the pictures pointed out to me was of a male figure holding his yahoo serious in a very active manner. Nude is one thing that is different. Then again who am I toy know what art is. Some place put on these on exhibts it just doesn't need to be on exhibit here.