Reactive Armored VF-0S

warpaint22

Ever since I saw SDFM I loved the reactive armor and when I saw M0 had a version for the VF-0 I couldn't wait for a model kit or add on's for the Yamato VF-0. When Hasegawa released thier kit I had to get one but due to time restraints it has been sitting on the shelf until now.

I guess I like the extra bulk that the armor gives to the battroids, making them look ready to take on anything. The scene in M0 was awesome showing how tough the VF was with it on, it has to be one of my favourite scenes in the series.

Well after three weeks of work I finaly finished my model to go in my Roy display, I am very happy with the out come with all the washes and weathering to give it a realistic appearance rather than just another clean version that I've seen time and again.

Well hope you like the pic's, let me know what you think. :)

post-5632-1192966016_thumb.jpgpost-5632-1192966293_thumb.jpgpost-5632-1192966537_thumb.jpg[attachm

nt=46613:9.JPG]post-5632-1192966903_thumb.jpgpost-5632-1192967090_thumb.jpgpost-26-1073785757.jpgpost-5632-1192967499_thumb.jpg

post-5632-1192966716_thumb.jpg

post-5632-1192967290_thumb.jpg

That looks great! Don't tell me you didn't include the missile load; that's the best part! - MT

Thanks MechTech and the missiles are there but I wanted the hatches closed for my display so they are trapped away but I have plans to do one with the missiles open so I'll have the best of both worlds. I was thinking about making hinges so they can be opened and closed but with work keeping me flat out I just couldn't find the energy. Plus I like the closed look better than with hatches open but it was more to do with what I wanted in my display. :)

Man that looks great!!! I LOVE the weathering!!

I am working on the Neograde Armored Batteroid for the VF series, I was planning on weathering it like a tank, to give it that worn look.

great work over all!!!

Ashton

Thanks Ashton for your kind words. I took the weathering on like I've seen it done on U.S Navy low vis fighter models, since I always use acrylic paint I washed with enamel coours and rubbed it back with enamel thinner on a cotton swab, man you go through a few.

Don't you just love reactive armor?

YES YES YES!!! :)

A truly first rate model building job warpaint22! I really like the colors and the weathering looks great without being excessive. I too have a strong affection for armored Valkyries. The VF-1J GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie, the VF-0S Reactive Armor and the VF-11C Protect Armor are among my favorite Valkyries in all Macross. They always have been. I love the idea of disposable armor variants. Ironically, the RX-78NT-1 Gundam Alex from Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket is my favorite gundam, which probably has a lot to do with the Full Armor mode of the mobile suit :)

• 3 weeks later...
truly impressive, it looks exactly like the design in the box!! you should pose it in a similar way, you might want to do what some other MW members here do, cut the cover of the box and frame it behind your model

would like to see a built up of any future models you do

Thanks Valkyrie addict, the box design was the inspiration for the finish and I'm very happy with the out come. I have tried posing like on the box but it's very top heavy and becomes unstable, looks cool though.

The box art will get framed as I also do this, it's awesome artwork and deserves to hang on the wall IMO. :)

Wow man, your painting and weathering is PERFECT. That's all I want to achieve to my model kits. I have nothing to say, except for.... questions!!! :lol:

How do you get darker tones in all those vertex? Pre-shading? post-shading? dry brush? pigments?

Weathering is my next barrier to defeat. I'm a little insecure and I need some tips about that... I hope that you can give me some orientation.

Again, my sincerely congratulations.

PD: Your model have professional finishing, so should be great if you take pics like maxjr token to his VF-0 fighter:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24132

that is awesome. there needs to be a toy version from yamato.

You can bet your pay check that one of the "I cant talk about them" up comming things that Graham has seen at Yamato is one of these babies.

• 2 weeks later...
You can bet your pay check that one of the "I cant talk about them" up comming things that Graham has seen at Yamato is one of these babies.

I really hope so, a 1/60 would be huge.

Cool8or, the weathering is achived by pre-shading then spraying in very thin coats until I get the desired cover. The final dirty weathering is done with a enamel wash as I paint in acrylic the enamel thinner doesn't harm the paint. I used X-18 semi gloss black as the wash then once dry I rub the wash off the center of panels with a cotton swab with a small amount of enamel thinner, letting the black build around the edges. The enamel thinner will rub the acrylic paint off if you concentrate in one spot for too long so do it in stages. I always apply the decals before the wash as it allows them to become dirtied aswell. Finaly give a very light drybrush in a grey that suits you and try to do this in enamel aswell. I guess if you paint in enamel then you can just reverse all of the above, but I'm not 100% sure as I don't pait in enamel anymore and always found that enamels wash better than acrylics, but that's just IMHO. Hope this helps a little. :)

very nice mate

i have the same kit thats been sat on my shelf for about 3 years

only problem is i carnt or couldnt build it to that sort of look which is what i would love

so i think it will sit on my shelf forever or until i can find someone who can build it for me :D

you have done a cracking job mate looks superb

• 2 months later...
Ever since I saw SDFM I loved the reactive armor and when I saw M0 had a version for the VF-0 I couldn't wait for a model kit or add on's for the Yamato VF-0. When Hasegawa released thier kit I had to get one but due to time restraints it has been sitting on the shelf until now.

I guess I like the extra bulk that the armor gives to the battroids, making them look ready to take on anything. The scene in M0 was awesome showing how tough the VF was with it on, it has to be one of my favourite scenes in the series.

Well after three weeks of work I finaly finished my model to go in my Roy display, I am very happy with the out come with all the washes and weathering to give it a realistic appearance rather than just another clean version that I've seen time and again.

Well hope you like the pic's, let me know what you think. :)

post-5632-1192966016_thumb.jpgpost-5632-1192966293_thumb.jpgpost-5632-1192966537_thumb.jpg[attachm

nt=46613:9.JPG]post-5632-1192966903_thumb.jpgpost-5632-1192967090_thumb.jpgpost-26-1073785757.jpgpost-5632-1192967499_thumb.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but looking at your pictures it looks like the models are able to change into the three different modes once completed. Is this true, or am I imagining things? I have never painted anything, but I love putting things together. Is it difficult to complete these models? Do they come with instructions in English? Please let me know. Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but looking at your pictures it looks like the models are able to change into the three different modes once completed. Is this true, or am I imagining things? I have never painted anything, but I love putting things together. Is it difficult to complete these models? Do they come with instructions in English? Please let me know. Thanks!

No it's a Hasegawa modelkit so it doesn't transform it's a static model. Being difficult is a hard thing to say, it's no snap fit kit but if you like putting things togeather and you take your time I think anyone with moderate model skills can build one. The instructions are not in english but they are easy to follow and all parts are clearly numbered and the instructions are very well illustrated. Time and the right equipment is the key to a nice model and practice, I've been doing this for over 20 years. If you decide to build one feel free to PM me and I can offer any assistance, I'd be happy to help. If you don't feel confident in building one contact me as I do commisions but have a go you might have a lot of fun. :)