LOTR DVD's Gonna wait for a boxed set or?

GobotFool

45 members have voted

1. 1. LOTR DVD's Gonna wait for a boxed set or?

• You gonna pick up all 3 normal versions individually?
    • You gonna pick up all 3 extended versions individually?
    • Gonna wait for the boxed set of the normal versions?
    • Gonna wait for the boxed set of the extended versions?
    • Get them individually, then cave and buy the uber boxset?
    • Rent them and enjoy until the uber boxset is released?
    • could care less?

Getting the extendeds as they come out. Watching my impatient friends' in between theatrical and extended releases. ;) I wish they'd just release both at the same time... i don't think they really need the extra time, after all.

I wonder if they're holding out on special material for an ueber-box... or if it might just have both cuts (theatrical and extended versions) and a gimmick like the Argonath bookends, artbook, film cell, etc)...

I want to find the guy who thought it would be a good idea to release a movie on DVD in multiple different versions just to bleed the fans. Once I find him I want to set his Mother on fire after I crap in her mouth... Then I want to eat his dog and or his children and make him watch.

I want to find the guy who thought it would be a good idea to release a movie on DVD in multiple different versions just to bleed the fans. Once I find him I want to set his Mother on fire after I crap in her mouth... Then I want to eat his dog and or his children and make him watch.

But what will you do to him? :p

I want to find the guy who thought it would be a good idea to release a movie on DVD in multiple different versions just to bleed the fans.  Once I find him I want to set his Mother on fire after I crap in her mouth... Then I want to eat his dog and or his children and make him watch.

I gotta feeling that guy will shrug it off and say "been there, done that..." :lol:

who knew Agent One was Mike tyson? :D

I just bought the three individual extended editions. I didnt wanna wait for 4 years to watch fellowship of the ring w/o renting it. Unless they put some AMAZING extras in the uber-boxed set, then I'm just gonna get the Paul Champagne case and make my own "box" set.

I kinda think that the idea of releasing different versions wasn't too horendous an idea, i mean, some people dont want to watch the super long version, casual fans i guess. at least they announced that there would be different versions ahead of time. I hate it when they release a movie, then 6 months later release the exact same movie with a little better features

Edited by Britai 7018

I want to find the guy who thought it would be a good idea to release a movie on DVD in multiple different versions just to bleed the fans.  Once I find him I want to set his Mother on fire after I crap in her mouth... Then I want to eat his dog and or his children and make him watch.

I would crucify him on the Tree of Woe.

I'll be picking upt he extended versions individually cuz I already bought the first one. I'd wait for the uber box set, but I don't think the uber box set is gonna have all the useless DVDs that came with the extended version box set for each individual movie. And you know, we're all buying the extended versions for those extra features. Why it's those extra features that make the box set so valuable! Why, I really need to have those bookstands!

If you haven't read the books there may be a SPOILER ahead........................

The only way I would pick up the uber set in a heartbeat would be if the scouring of the shire was in there, and not in the extended cut. BTW, I'm only picking up the extended cuts without the bookends.

This is why I haven't bought any individual LOTR, The Matrix, or Star Wars DVDs. I waiting for them to complete their run.

:(

Hell, I'm scared to pick up the Wesley Snipes Blade series and I want those too...plus the Terminator series.... :unsure:

I feel with you man.

Whiskey, I'd assume that it'd be pretty safe to pick up the Blade movies (unless you really care about extras). I'd assume that there's not gonna be a super extended cut after the third one comes out.

Terminator though, that I agree you should wait on.

Whiskey, I'd assume that it'd be pretty safe to pick up the Blade movies (unless you really care about extras). I'd assume that there's not gonna be a super extended cut after the third one comes out.

Terminator though, that I agree you should wait on.

a 3rd blade is being made :o:blink:

For FOTR, there's the normal one, the extended one, and the extended one with bookends. I got the non-bookends extended one, for it was on sale for only $7 more than the regular version was, and came with a free ticket to see TTT, (which would cost about $7 otherwise) thus negating the price difference. :)

I don't think there's any difference content-wise between extended and extended w/bookends.

I'm collecting the extended versions only. If an uber box set comes out, I'll probobly pass on it. At the moment I am waiting for the Alien 9 disc uber box set that's suppose to be out by the end of the year.

by uber boxed set I was implying that they would be extended, who knows they may even edit it in a way that the end credits of FOTR, the oppening and closing credits of Two towers, and the opening credits of ROTK cut out so it all merges seemlessly into one movie.

I don't think you could fit 10 hours onto one disc to do a nice big seamless presentation. You'd have to swap discs, or at least flip them over. And it'd take quite a bit of editing. End of FOTR was Aragorn and co hiking uphill in the forest, opening of TTT was Gandalf fighting the Balrog. Not too seamless. :)

Or even if you put it on multiple discs, it's still a lot of swapping/switching, which isn't too different from just watching all 3 in a row on separate discs. Thus defeating the point of a seamless presentation.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I don't think you could fit 10 hours onto one disc to do a nice big seamless presentation. You'd have to swap discs, or at least flip them over. And it'd take quite a bit of editing. End of FOTR was Aragorn and co hiking uphill in the forest, opening of TTT was Gandalf fighting the Balrog. Not too seamless. :)

Or even if you put it on multiple discs, it's still a lot of swapping/switching, which isn't too different from just watching all 3 in a row on separate discs. Thus defeating the point of a seamless presentation.

thats why a total reedit is in order to make it seemless. The disk swapping I could care less about.

I'll wait for the uber box set. I got the Fellowship EE the first day it was released, but I passed on TTT completely, the editing on that one left me underwhelmed. The jury's still out on ROTK, but I've been getting the impression that Jackson won't be waiting much longer after ROTK to release the uber box set, so I think I can wait it out.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

I'll wait for the uber box set. I got the Fellowship EE the first day it was released, but I passed on TTT completely, the editing on that one left me underwhelmed. The jury's still out on ROTK, but I've been getting the impression that Jackson won't be waiting much longer after ROTK to release the uber box set, so I think I can wait it out.

hmmmm personally the EE I found to be flawless in its editing and the stuff added added so much IMHO. So I want all the extended versions.

The Fellowship Extended set with the bookends does include another disc, but IIRC, it's National Geographic look at the filming locations or something like that.

I'd expect RotK to have both theatrical and extended editions, though I should hope they can come out at the same time!

I'll wait for the uber box set.  I got the Fellowship EE the first day it was released, but I passed on TTT completely, the editing on that one left me underwhelmed.  The jury's still out on ROTK, but I've been getting the impression that Jackson won't be waiting much longer after ROTK to release the uber box set, so I think I can wait it out.

hmmmm personally the EE I found to be flawless in its editing and the stuff added added so much IMHO. So I want all the extended versions.

Most definitely. I was blown by the lengths Jackson went to include the extra scenes. I mean, he just didn't slap them in there blindly. He had the music rescored so that the EE scenes would seamlessly blend in, that's marvelous! The DTS audio was a much welcomed addition too! I don't care if it cost $50, I would've bought that set regardless. As for TTT EE, I'll probably burn...I mean rent it first, since I was dissapointed with its theatrical release (due to the poor editing). But if TTT EE is truly gold, then I'll buy it.

There won't be anything (content wise) released after the final extended version, that would just be silly.

I'm going for the standard extended versions (no bookends, A&E special, or statue). Don't have room on my DVD shelves for bookends or statues, nor the large box's they come in.

But my point is that it's not seamless if you have to swap discs... Swapping discs=not a seamless presentation, thus defeating the point of re-editing credits/openings.

Yep. That's why I taped the extended version off DirectTV PPV. Just to have a seamless version. :)

There won't be anything (content wise) released after the final extended version, that would just be silly.

Kieth, you had better rethink that. Jackson said on the Fellowship Director's commentary that he may release another DVD version of the films with the deleted scenes and other extras (like bloopers). Yeah, it's silly and pissed me off when he said it.

But my point is that it's not seamless if you have to swap discs... Swapping discs=not a seamless presentation, thus defeating the point of re-editing credits/openings.

Actually, when it comes to Fellowship, I don't mind swapping.. With that gorgeous video transfer and DTS track, it's a fair trade-off in my opinion. I just can't stand DVD's with poor video mastering and Dolby Digital.

Anyways, I come from the long forgotten world of laserdiscs. I'm used to swapping. :p