VF-11(x) Thunderbolt Thread

kensei

Mabey Graham will pop into this thread and quote his favorite line to give us hope that a VF-11 may come to pass?

The scheme on the boxart is my most-wanted VF-11 scheme. It's the VFX-2 scheme (or close to it---it's protrayed slightly differently every time, but that's my fave version since it has the yellow canards) Too bad you can't see the striping on the rudders from that angle.

I've owned two M+ VF-11's by now, I'm sick of "grey with orange accents". Give me something new.

If the M3 license is open, we could get Max and Millia of course. And the M3 and M7 version of Milia's are identical, or nearly so, so that could skirt around the M7 license issue...

Though I'd rather have Milia's -22 over her -11. I didn't like her -17 at all, the yellow striping just didn't work.

M7 licence is open too, just that nobody has it. I wonder if Yamato really wants to pick it up.

It does give them a lot of paintscheme/moldmilking possibilities. Maybe they just can't get it because the license owner doesn't want all Macross licenses at one single toy manufacturer.

It does give them a lot of paintscheme/moldmilking possibilities. Maybe they just can't get it because the license owner doesn't want all Macross licenses at one single toy manufacturer.

But they haven't. Look at Kaiyodo, Popy, Gashapon and also Hasagawa, they'll be plenty of opportunities.

I'm not much of an 11 fan, but these look sweet. I guess, after the VF-1, is the valk with the widest range of color scheme possibilities, being a mass produced VF in service all over the galaxy.

That pic makes me drool.

Edited by Wicked Ace

I think the VF-11 in 1/60 scale low-viz would kick so much ass. . . .!

It just screams "army-builder" hands down. . .

It has the look that bridges the gap between the VF-1 to the YF-19.

Just imaging a display case full of them in various stages of maintenance.

Or a flightline display with about 4 to 8 lined up side by side. . . .

Edited by DARKWIND

You guys do realize that the VF-11 is about the same size as the VF-1. It's going to be close to the size of the 1/60 VF-1.

Hopefully, it will also cost less than the more recent valkyries... :p I would buy repaints, most likely.

You guys do realize that the VF-11 is about the same size as the VF-1. It's going to be close to the size of the 1/60 VF-1.

Hopefully, it will also cost less than the more recent valkyries... :p I would buy repaints, most likely.

ack.. that's right. now I wonder if yamato would keep it in the same scale, or if they will try to make it the same size as the yf-21/19 ....

The purist in me says scale... but I'm wondering how much of an improvement we would see if they made it at 1/60 scale...?

The only part of the VF-11 that really worries me is the shoulders/arms transformation, how sturdy it is. For the 1/72 they needed the shoulder bars. I would be worried how well that area would hold up on a 1/60 scale toy without shoulder bars. Although I'm sure that Yamato will be able to pull off something awesome, I'm still slightly worried.

I think there's quite a bit of anime magic in that area. The shoulders need to be basically two square metal plates to sit flush in Fighter Mode wereas if you look at "Battroido" they're nicely shaped with rounded edges. On the 1/72 those square plates remained thus (making Battroid look fugly), but at 1/60, Yamato will have to do better.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

okay... but isn't the "1/72" scale vf-11 already close to 1/60 scale? I thought yamato cheated to keep the valks all in the same size.

vf-11 battroid height: 12.92 meters

so...

12.92 meter * 1/60 = 0.215333333 meters

0.215333333m * 3.28ft/1m = 0.7062824 ft

0.7062824ft * 12in/1ft = 8.4753888 inches

and the "1/72" vf-11 was around 9 inches tall....

Edited by eugimon

I'm divided on wanting it to be actually 1/60 or having it be 1/48. I figure that Yamato will go 1/60 since that seems to be the scale they've been sticking with. On one hand I'd like a nice sized VF-11. On the other hand, I would like my VF-11 to be in scale with my VF-0, and the eventual 19 and 21 when I get them. Smaller would also be a great thing for displaying, since the larger 1/60 valkyries take up a bit of room.

I'm leaning more towards hoping they go non size-tweaked 1/60.

I'm divided on wanting it to be actually 1/60 or having it be 1/48. I figure that Yamato will go 1/60 since that seems to be the scale they've been sticking with. On one hand I'd like a nice sized VF-11. On the other hand, I would like my VF-11 to be in scale with my VF-0, and the eventual 19 and 21 when I get them. Smaller would also be a great thing for displaying, since the larger 1/60 valkyries take up a bit of room.

I'm leaning more towards hoping they go non size-tweaked 1/60.

well, the current vf-11 toys are basically 1/60 scale... looking at it, I'd rather see a 1/48 scale that has the space to accomodate all the features and gimmicks we've come to expect from Yamato.

Besides, I HATE that cut out heat shield.

Two things I remember from old old conversations on these boards.

1. I thought I read on the really old boards back when the M+ line was first coming out, that they had to fudge the VF-11 from 1/72 to 1/70-1/68ish to better fit parts etc. As some parts were too small and fragile at the time. So 1/60th for a VF-11 could be somewhat sizeable.

2. I also read somewhere that in Japan they sell licenses according to what scale they planned on building in. So say (as example only) Banpresto decides to do VF-1's in 1/32nd scale. Fine and dandy. But a second company could have the same macross license and produce in 1/55. Pretty much like how Yamato and Bandai were both producing VF-1's but one had a license for 1/60 and the other for 1/55. My point being, if all this is correct, is that Yamato would have to go out and obtain a license for Macross Plus products in the 1/48th scale just so they could produce a VF-11 to be about the same size as all the other ones? Seem's like it would be a costly venture to produce 1 toy, unless they plan on VF-1ing it and releasing a gazillion variations and color schemes. Not that I wouldnt mind them doing that. I want a VF-11 just as much as everyone else.

Edited by Fatalist

Two things I remember from old old conversations on these boards.

1. I thought I read on the really old boards back when the M+ line was first coming out, that they had to fudge the VF-11 from 1/72 to 1/70-1/68ish to better fit parts etc. As some parts were too small and fragile at the time. So 1/60th for a VF-11 could be somewhat sizeable.

Well, I'll be happy if you would point out where I went wrong with my math then, because a 1/60 scale vf-11 would be .5" smaller than what we have now.

The VF-1's are 1/48, and no other company are producing Macross toys on that scale, so I doubt Yamato has any troubles license-wise to make the 11 at 1/48. Or they could just tweak the scale, make it the size of a 1/48 with a 1/60 pilot and print "1/60 scale" in the box. I see no legal issues there.

As for making it a proper 1/60 scale, I wonder if Yamato will bother redoing a toy they've already done (given the little difference in size) wich seem like a waste, since there wouldn't be much room for improvement over the crappy 1/72. My guess is that Yamato will tweak the scale just enough to make the toy 1/60 and worthy of the Macross Plus 1/60 line.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Agreed, eugimon, I hate the damned 1/72 heatshield. I busted both of mine trying to remove them for use. :(

But, I have to disagree with you Lonely Soldier Boy. There is a lot of room for improvement over the 1/72, even in 1/60 scale. Besides sculpt and proportions, there would be an upgrade in the joint system (A-stance gerwalk!), removeable intake covers, upgraded push-in/pull-out feet, gunpod attaching between the arms in fighter mode (instead of to that flap), upgraded hands, and an updated transformation process.

Mmmmm, thinking about an updated VF-11 makes me drool. :D

Ah, gotcha. It would be hard to match the quality and durability in such a small package (especially those tiny chicken hands with little snappable fingers, which I didn't think about before, unless they let them be big hands... Yeah right, big hands from Yamato. :p ). But, I think Yamato could still pull it off. They have experience from doing the 11 in the past, and they've worked on much more difficult valks like the 19.

I of course, wouldn't turn down the VF-11 in 1/48 though. :D

Ah, gotcha. It would be hard to match the quality and durability in such a small package (especially those tiny chicken hands with little snappable fingers, which I didn't think about before, unless they let them be big hands... Yeah right, big hands from Yamato. :p ). But, I think Yamato could still pull it off. They have experience from doing the 11 in the past, and they've worked on much more difficult valks like the 19.

I of course, wouldn't turn down the VF-11 in 1/48 though. :D

I wouldn't turn it down either, but I want my V-11 to be in scale with my other Mac+ toys damnit!

I want to see the difference in the actual plane's size's when I display these toys. That's why I got some old 1/60 VF-1's, to put next to my 1/60 VF's.

Why wouldn't Yamato be able to improve on the 1/72 VF-11? They did it with the 19 didn't they? IMO the 1/60 YF-19 is a mojar step forward from the 1/72 version. I see no reason why Yamato won't do the same with the YF-21 and the VF-11. I'm sure Graham can confirm that the 1/60 YF-21 is a considerably better toy than the 1/72 YF-21. (he probably can't because Yamato would send a couple of ninja's to tie him up and kill him with their bouncy boobies if he did)

I suspect even at 1/60 scale (though I'd definitely nab a 1/48) Yamato's design techniques have come far enough, in the intervening years since the original Macross Plus toys, that we'd see noticeable improvement from the 1/72 toy.

I wouldn't turn it down either, but I want my V-11 to be in scale with my other Mac+ toys damnit!

I want to see the difference in the actual plane's size's when I display these toys. That's why I got some old 1/60 VF-1's, to put next to my 1/60 VF's.

Why wouldn't Yamato be able to improve on the 1/72 VF-11? They did it with the 19 didn't they? IMO the 1/60 YF-19 is a mojar step forward from the 1/72 version. I see no reason why Yamato won't do the same with the YF-21 and the VF-11. I'm sure Graham can confirm that the 1/60 YF-21 is a considerably better toy than the 1/72 YF-21. (he probably can't because Yamato would send a couple of ninja's to tie him up and kill him with their bouncy boobies if he did)

Well, a big part of the improvement seen in the yf-19 is made possible thanks to the larger size. Again, a 1/60 scale vf-11 would be the same size as the "1/72" scale... which was not 1/72 scale.

Well, a big part of the improvement seen in the yf-19 is made possible thanks to the larger size. Again, a 1/60 scale vf-11 would be the same size as the "1/72" scale... which was not 1/72 scale.

Well, in answer to that, I'd ask you to be a little more specific. What improvements were made possible thanks to the bigger size of the toy?