VF-11(x) Thunderbolt Thread

kensei

Well, in answer to that, I'd ask you to be a little more specific. What improvements were made possible thanks to the bigger size of the toy?

the folding canards, the landing gear, the wings not having a giant bolt running through them, the collapsable feet, the articulated hands, the articulated shoulder pads, the neck extendable neck shield, the improved tail fin design.

Sure, it's possible to do that on the 1/72 scale, but at the risk of fragility and some things, like the landing gear, would suffer greatly.

The 1/72 yf-19 was a POS compared to the 1/60.

Shhh! You'll hurt drifand's feelings. :p

Bah, I fiddled around with mine getting it ready for ebay... and I swear, it's just a mess. Every time I adjusted the wings, I was scared that giant bolt would take a chunk out of the paint on the legs. The only thing I like about it was that it actually had pegs to hold the chest plate in place in gerwalk.

the folding canards, the landing gear, the wings not having a giant bolt running through them, the collapsable feet, the articulated hands, the articulated shoulder pads, the neck extendable neck shield, the improved tail fin design.

Sure, it's possible to do that on the 1/72 scale, but at the risk of fragility and some things, like the landing gear, would suffer greatly.

The 1/72 yf-19 was a POS compared to the 1/60.

IMO all the highlighted parts can be done in 1/72 with todays production technics and materials.

Things like the retractable neck cover are bonusses but unnecasery. *ducks for thrown rocks*

And yes, the 1/72 yf-19 was a POS compared to the 1/60.

The 1/72 YF-19 was a thing of beauty compared to the Bandai M7 VF-19kai. :p I bought that thing way back before Yamato came out with the M+ valkyries, because I was desperate for a transforming 19 toy. Boy was that a decision I wound up regretting. I've kept it for old times sake, and every once in a while I bring it out and transform it... Then I laugh, and laugh, and laugh! And I gleefully go back to messing with my Yamato valkyries. :lol:

I do admit that the 1/72 VF-11 has always frustrated me, since it never wanted to hold together in fighter mode. Then there was the broken hip after a while... I treasure my VF-11 though. It was my first transforming vakyrie that wasn't a chunky-monkey. I just always knew that it could be done better. I've dreamt of the day they'd come back and re-do the VF-11. :D Still dreaming, although that dream is at my fingertips. ;)

IMO all the highlighted parts can be done in 1/72 with todays production technics and materials.

Things like the retractable neck cover are bonusses but unnecasery. *ducks for thrown rocks*

And yes, the 1/72 yf-19 was a POS compared to the 1/60.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it would mean for a much more fragile design. I don't want any more models from yamato.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it would mean for a much more fragile design. I don't want any more models from yamato.

Agreed, it's still a toy. Maybe, somewhere in the near future through some freak accident, titanium prices will drop to a normal level so Yamato will be able to use it in their toys. :rolleyes:;)

Agreed, it's still a toy. Maybe, somewhere in the near future through some freak accident, titanium prices will drop to a normal level so Yamato will be able to use it in their toys. :rolleyes:;)

Don't forget the advent of a really efficient way of milling Titanium, cause right now it's not the easiest material to shape.

Mabey billet aircraft grade aluminum parts? They should be nice ad sturdy and not over-the-top expensive (still cost more than pom tho)

Well, a big part of the improvement seen in the yf-19 is made possible thanks to the larger size. Again, a 1/60 scale vf-11 would be the same size as the "1/72" scale... which was not 1/72 scale.

The "1/72" VF-11B was 1/68 scale, so 1/60 would be a little bigger. Its probably just enough room to incorporate larger folding vertical stabilizers and still leave room for retractable landing gear, as well as enough room for the cockpit shield internally. Also a thing to remember was that Billy Wong and the sculptors Yamato hires now are very different, unlike the newer sculptors, Billy Wong does not know much about aircraft.

The "1/72" VF-11B was 1/68 scale, so 1/60 would be a little bigger. Its probably just enough room to incorporate larger folding vertical stabilizers and still leave room for retractable landing gear, as well as enough room for the cockpit shield internally. Also a thing to remember was that Billy Wong and the sculptors Yamato hires now are very different, unlike the newer sculptors, Billy Wong does not know much about aircraft.

where are you getting 1/68 from? From the math, a 1/60 scale vf-11 would be 8.5 inches tall. The current Vf-11 was 9 inches tall.

So your saying the 11b that Yamato released is actually in scale to the recently released 19?

1/60 scale (assuming official stats listed on Macross Compendium

all calculations use the following:

A= size in meters

A * 1/60 * 3.28ft/1m * 12inches/1ft = X

anime fighter:

wingspan: 7.3"

length: 10.6 "

Yamato Toy:

wingspan: 8.85"

length: 8.85"

anime Battroid:

Height: 8.5"

Yamato Toy:

Height: 9"

If we assume a 1/68 scale

the fighter should be:

wingspan: 6.4"

lenght: 6.4"

Battroid Height: 7.5"

I maintain, the current version is closer to a 1/60 scale than anything else.

Edited by eugimon

GAWD, I wish you people would adopt the metric system already. B))

1/60th scale:

fighter length: 10.6" = 26.9cm

battroid height: 8.5" = 21.59cm

Current Yamato VF-11:

Fighter Length: 8.85" = 22.48cm

battroid height: 9" = 22.86cm

BTW, these numbers were derived by conversion of my earlier numbers, and not by multiplying the original dimensions by (1/60) so if they're off somewhat, that's why.

is there some other unit of measurement I should post up? :p

Edited by eugimon

Put it up in parsecs. :p Joking, joking. :lol:

Since the front landing gear is located far behind the cockpit, that will give some room for some kind of gimmick to allow for the heatshield, I hope.

battroid height: 7.40841505 × 10-18 parsecs

:p

I love google.

Again, if Yamato don't tweak the scale, they'll end up doing the same toy we already have (wich makes no sense for them). Sure Yamato has learned a lot since 2001, but other than eliminate the chunk under the wingroots and the sculpt a bit, I don't see it matching the quality of the YF-19 or even the VF-0. I say Yamato will cheat again on this one. Mark my words. B))

Edit: i don't mind a bigger-than-normal VF-11 if the toy is significantly better than the old "1/72".

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Even if it's the same size, I'll be happy with a more proportionate VF-11 with a cleaner shape in all three modes. My 1/72 VF-11B is the ugly duckling of my Yamato valkyrie collection. :( That valkyrie deserves a much better toy than what they originally did (which was fantastic at the time).

I'm in agreement on wanting a significantly better toy. The scale doesn't matter to me as much as long as the toy turns out good (and that means durability too!).

Yamato could cheat a bit and make the VF-11 in 1/55 scale and call it 1/60. That would get them close enough to appease the scale purists and provide a larger volume to work with; the larger size over the "1/72" would allow them to engineer the toy with better proportions, some gimmicks, and without the kludgey wing-root bulges and slides, not to mention the elimination of most/all the screw caps.

But to really do the VF-11 justice, Yamato just go with 1/48 scale and give the venerable VF-1 a tarmac companion.

If Yamato does give us a 1/60 scale VF-11, size relative to the 1/60 YF-19 and 1/60 scale YF-21 won't be an issue, really. Yamato can simply tweak the size and have SK give it the thumbs-up as official -- this approach has been implemented before; I'm still confused about the whole official color of the 1/60 scale VF-0 Shin/CF/whatever. :mellow:

Argh, not more retroactive changing stuff by SK! Be careful what you wish for. He might retroactively make the M+ VF-11B squadron that Isamu was in, into the Pink Pecker Squad and change the colors to varying shades of pink for the toy. :p