Transformer Super Thread 6

Got my iPod Convoy (clearly Ultra Magnus now that a Prime colored one is coming out...) and it's pretty rad overall... the new head sculpt is BALL-JOINTED which is killer... it looks like the rest of the Convoy tooling is getting kinda tired tho... there's some big ejector marks on parts that were never so prominent... the molding is much less crisp on the die-cast parts than it used to be, especially on the top-of-cab lamps there's some evidence of mold degradation on the edges of the parts where the meet the roof... the two halves of the feet have a terrible seam line in the middle... there's also a few paint scuffs which I'm a little miffed about, and really would like to fix, but don't want to make a mess on the die-cast enamel finish... I find it weird that the gun is the Bloated version as well... do all reissue Prime's come with the bloated gun? The new head and classic figure are still pretty awesome, and the iPod speakers and dock are solid... I'm just worried that I'll burn out the LED behind the Autobot symbol if I leave the speakers on so I can use it as an alarm clock with my iPod...

The SS Revy looks really nice:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mreport/008583/40.html

The neck is a bit long in that pic but on the unpainted SS behind it looks better. Comes with gun Megatron too, nice.

Hot diggity damn! I was thinking from the first posted pic, "Meh, they look like cruddy animation models." But that up close pic has me wondering when I can preorder them.

I didn't know they made accessory packs for TF Alternators and Binaltechs ... they look cool! I may have to hunt around for those ... would love to complete my Alternator Silverstreak!!

B))

And I am totally getting the two new Revoltechs: Rodimus & Starscream!! Let's hope they make Shockwave next!!!

^_^

I doubt i'd have the need for a SS Revy when i got the Starscream Masterpiece coming next year. It's poseable enough!

Same as with the Macross Revs... two different places on the shelf... I love my MP SS's a whole lot, but I also love smaller scale stuff to play with...

I've got an iPod Magnus question... I've got a 20GB Click-Wheel iPod, so it has alot of play in the slot, and I'm worried about damaging the dock-piece... I was wondering if the Universal iPod Dock has the same slot as the Convoy(Magnus?) dock, meaning that the Universal Dock Adapters would fit it...

I've never used an actual Dock before... I used cables, and then an iHome which recently died, and that uses different adapters...

So if anyone knows, can I use standard dock adapters on the dock on iPod Magnus?

Also the Binaltech Smokescreen (Blue Rally Subaru WRX) got rereleased with shoulder cannon/launchers which someone here recast for those interested here. I remember I got two of them, they are different from the ones posted above. I want to say rohby did them but I just can't remember.

I didn't know they made accessory packs for TF Alternators and Binaltechs ... they look cool! I may have to hunt around for those ... would love to complete my Alternator Silverstreak!!

B))

And I am totally getting the two new Revoltechs: Rodimus & Starscream!! Let's hope they make Shockwave next!!!

^_^

if i had to choose between more movie toys or for alternators/binaltech to continue, i'd choose alternators/binaltech.

I second that ... although I am looking forward to Landmine from the TF allspark line ...

Also, more Real gear repaints ... meh.

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12051

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12047

Edited by Vermillion21

Honestly, I'm a bit bummed about the current crop... I' m not buying movie toys. I miss being able to pick up a new Alternator at Target and have so me fun with it...about halfway thru, I decided I'd only buy Autobot Alts bc/ that makes more sense, and got sick of repaints, so pretty much the only fig I'm missing is Mirage...

New more movie accurate toys are coming and here are some photos. Just another milking of the cow I guess. Prime and megs look cool though. PRIME with sword = FTW. I might pick up the 08 Bumblebee as well. I'm glad I didn't buy any of the movie line yet.post-5389-1196665155_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperHobo

Oooooooh, silvery-chrome Prime with sword. Must-buy. Metallic red and blue paint would be a bonus, but I'll get him regardless.

Barricade--I still want a bigger one. All the paint in the world won't make it as neat a toy as that character deserves.

BB--wonder how it'll be different. I finally found an 08. But the movie car's paint job was a very fine-grain pearl, the finish used on BestBuy Ratchet is way too grainy and wouldn't look right. I really want to see what paint apps they do---my BB looks kinda plain in robot mode, being pure black plastic.

Ironhide---they basically added all the silver paint apps I did to mine. And brightened up his robot mode paint apps.

SS---colors are right, but he seems to be missing the actual camo pattern. It's like they colored each piece in the majority color. I.E. the wings are all one color, the stabs are all one (different) color, etc.

PS----no matter what, they're still missing the Xmas toy season. Too late. Movie hype (and children's wish lists) won't last forever. If they'd come out with these last week...

I don't believe these are meant for the christmas season at all, given they're 'collector' versions. Hasbro was surprised (and pleased) by the enormous sucess of the Movie line, so they're extending it as the main line until June or July, which is why Animated was put back a few months, apparently.

Based on that picture, the only thing different is OP with a sword. The rest of them look identical to what's already been on the shelves, and SS STILL looks like crap.
Judging by past 'Premium' figures such as the already released Robo-Vision Prime, Best Buy Ratchet and Megatron, these will have lots of paint, in contrast to 99% of Transformers. They're all meant to look more accurate in deco with the CGI models.

- Barricade has more of his police and emergency tampographs, small paint detail changes here and there. It's quite possible they painted his car parts black for contrast.

- Ironhide has silver on his rims, smokestacks, Road Armor bumper, roof and door handles along with what looks like a faint Autobot symbol tampograph on the hood (probably to compensate for the fact you can barely see the molded one on the tailgate). In robot mode his paint, as David pointed out, are of a higher contrast, while his arm cannons are now molded out of more than one colour of plastic, and painted.

- Jazz: They appear to have cast some (all?) of his formerly silver parts black, then painted them silver, then used alot more paint for details. Too bad he still has the wrong gun.

- Starscream: Actually in Raptor colours now, with Langley markings on his vertical stabilizers. Robot mode details are based on the CG model, such as small details like the red circuitry in his arms.

- Megatron is (hopefully) painted silver with lots of gold and black detailing.

- Optimus Prime has a new headsculpt and the flip-out gun has been replaced by the sword he used to kill Bonecrusher. Looks like silver paint is used on all of his formerly grey parts.

(Not pictured)

- Blackout will look similar to the Japanese Blackout Ver. 4500X released with the DVD at Lawson stores this month. Basically in correct Pave Low hull colours (or so it seems) with more accurate robot mode paint, 4500X markings and the Scorponok accessory is painted up to match his larger version.

So, quite alot of changes.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

My point was not that these are supposed to be Xmas toys, but that Hasbro is still missing the huge "TF movie toys for Xmas" sales. 10,000 fast-action-battlers clogging the shelves is not what the kids want. It's been 7 months since the June release---they've had plenty of time to just make more of the very first wave, yet it hasn't really shown up on shelves. There's been a few Barricades and Ironhides, but most major characters are still sparse. They seem to be making large amounts of everything BUT the movie characters. I see loads of "just opened" cases of the Sector 7 truck, Swindle, etc. With the occasional final battle Jazz. Many kids are going to be sad on Dec 25. (They'll probably get Swindle and Arcee, not SS and BB like they asked for, because that's the only things their parents could find on the shelves)

Hey David, I spotted a BB at Target last night. I can check to see if it's still there if you want it.

In regards to the "new paint" apps, sometimes it doesn't matter how much makeup you put on an ugly person. They're still ugly. Same thing with the crappy SS and Barricade. They're still ugly figures, even with their new makeup.

Can I get a "meh"? I might pick up the Optimus Prime, if only because I have a tendency to collect Primes and I hadn't picked up the previous Leader-class Prime. Otherwise, I already bought the deluxe and voyagers for the Transformers that were actually in the movie, and that was enough. The movie designs looked great on screen, but I thought they made for kinda crappy toys after coming off the excellent Classics line. I didn't like them enough to buy all the other movie toys, I'm sure as hell not wasting my money on more repaints.

I'm crossing my fingers that that leader Megatron actually comes out in metallic colors. The only thing close to the movie model is the Best Buy exclusive, and that has metal "ice" all over it, which really ruins the otherwise great paint scheme. The ice was a bad idea from square one, imo. I can't look at any colored version of that voyager figure without thinking how much better it would look if the ice weren't there.

Robovision Prime looks awesome with the silver details, much better than the official deco, so I'd be up for a leader class Prime with that silver paint and a movie-accurate sword instead of gun.

Not quite seeing the hullaballoo on the others, or enough changes to warrant buying them again.

does it really matter how accurate movie prime's head is in that toy? his body is like 25% accurate and his legs are short, starscream looks horrible, and megatron's toy from far away looks like a predator. not to mention some of the other toys. bring on classics or other non-movie stuff a little quicker.

I'm so glad I skipped the movie line entirely... aside from a few alternators, I've never really had to worry so much about having a hard time finding a toy, and I've certainly never had to worry about which version to buy for the least compromises on the design. I feel for you guys tho, not being able to find a toy anywhere suck, even if it is an ugly movie figure.

Just a heads up: I almost sniped a Binaltech Hound on eBay, until I noticed a separate auction for its knock off counterpart. I looked more into it, and it turned out the Hound I wanted was a fake. The seller claimed it was loose with no box, but I’m guessing he was just hiding the fact that it was a KO (all the fake Autobot labels were removed as well). The fake BTs look awfully convincing from afar, until you look at their packaging and the fine details. Heck, I’d be picking them up, but apparently some don’t hold together very well. Although the kitbashing possibilities are tremendous with these fakies floating around.

Can I get a "meh"? I might pick up the Optimus Prime, if only because I have a tendency to collect Primes and I hadn't picked up the previous Leader-class Prime. Otherwise, I already bought the deluxe and voyagers for the Transformers that were actually in the movie, and that was enough. The movie designs looked great on screen, but I thought they made for kinda crappy toys after coming off the excellent Classics line. I didn't like them enough to buy all the other movie toys, I'm sure as hell not wasting my money on more repaints.

here's your "meh". I liked the Prime toy, but not enough to buy it again... and this is the version they should have released in the first place.

Nope... no more KOs for me. I had a few bootleg combiners when I was a kid a few years ago, but now I only buy real vintage. I have heard that at least the Mirage KO isn't badly done, but I still object to that whole KO company making blatant replicas of G1 toys, box and all. And like you said, why pay real prices for a bootleg? Even if it is something exclusive like the clear Mirage, that's still rather expensive...

Edited by promethuem5

Speaking of KO's, has anyone here bought one of those KO G1 Mirages??

Can you comment on the quality?

I'm interested in the clear, 'ghost' version ... but $65 is a lot for a KO.

:ph34r:

my clear mirage just showed up today and it's AWESOME! Even the box is straight G1 quality, and the figure feels pretty solid and looks great. One of the forearms is a little loose, and won't hold the gun straight out, and the thighs want to slide back down into the calf part, but those problems can both be fixed with a dash of glue or nail polish if needed. The way I've got it "posed" now, it really doesn't make a difference though.

Stickers are nice quality too.

Quality wise, I wouldn't consider this to be any more of a knockoff than the e-hobby recolors.