1/60 YF-21 - Will you be picking up the 1st release version?

TheLoneWolf

What's your choice?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. So Yamato's announced the 1/60 YF-21. As we've all seen, the 1st release of most Yamato toys have had problems ranging from nitpicky (nosecone falling off the 1/48 VF-1) to dealbreakers (cracked biceps on the 1/60 VF-0S). So the question is: are you going to risk buying a potentially faulty 1/60 YF-21, or are you going to wait for the inevitable 2nd or 3rd release that will incorporate fixes and FAST Packs.

• Buy the 1st release - I can't wait any longer, I'll deal with crooked landing gears and exploding arms.
    • Wait for the 2nd / 3rd release - I'll wait for Yamato to work out the defects and throw in FAST Packs.
    • N/A - Screw Yamato! Where's my Toynami YF-21 Masterpiece?!

Well, looking at the options listed, the poll seems to be equal parts jest and experience. Besides, can you honestly blame us? a lot of us got burned by the VF-0 and while the YF-19 was more or less problem free, you have to admit, stuff like the crooked gunpod and the rear landing gear not deploying correctly were just silly mistakes that should not have happened.

Quoted for truth.

Besides, this is a Forum. Anything stated by it's members (except people that are "in the know" like yourself) should be taken with a big grain of salt. 5 grains in BoB's case.

This sort of thing really pisses me off you know.

All you guys have seen is one low-res, low-detail CAD picture for a single day and already you are making polls about whether or not you will buy it based on bad QC. Friggin unbelievable!!!!

For fu#@s sake, how can you make a decision based on the extremely limited information you have so far?

Graham

Yamato's track record is all the information most of us need.

The ones who are already sold on a first release are making their decision based on the immaculate beauty of the 1, 0, 19, and 51. All those valks look amazing. We don't even need to be shown pictures of a 21, because we know it's going to look beautiful. Yamato hit the ball out of the park on every one of those Valks.

The people who have already made up their mind to wait for a second release are the ones who felt jipped by things like non locking feet, floppy back packs, crooked gun pods & gear, and fragile shoulders that could've been avoided/improved upon if they had waited for a later release. Even the cannon/non-cannon VF-0A fiasco is enough to make someone think twice about a first release 21. Imagine if you only had enough money for one VF-0 and you were told that the non-Shin version was the only 0A coming out, and you bought it only to find out a few months later that an anime accurate Shin version was on it's way after all complete with a ghost and strengthened shoulders that you missed out on because you took the plunge on the first release 0A.

The decision has nothing to do with the CAD art. We already know the 21 is going to look incredible but we also know that it has the potential for flaws that might be fixed on later versions.

Hmmmmmmm..... Let me thinking.....

After the Shoulder of the Vf-0.... After the neck and the gunpod of the YF-19.... Are you fool ???

I never... never take a 1st release from Yamato after that..... Never.... and i will wait the report of the 2nd release to make an order of a Yamato... I'm so disapointed....

Oh great, not the hiding behind a language barrier thing again. <_<

well, I wouldn't want people to think I'm falling on the stereotype that french people are rude and inconsiderate. Because, you know, hastily judging someone or something, based on a few people's experiences would be bad and looked down on. And I'm SURE it's not the sort of thing odr78 would do. ;):p

Edited by eugimon

I will probably wait for reviews and impressions from trusted members as usual. (nothing personal yamato, I do this with all high end expensive things so I know what I'm getting and can make informed choices. Quality can vary between your releases anyway. So if it turns out crap that won't hold me against buying your toys that got high reviews like vf-1. But I'll be damned if I buy something which requires fixes without any kind of support for customers who have to import for anything macross-related.)

BTW where's BoB? Haha I wonder if he gets one?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

This sort of thing really pisses me off you know.

All you guys have seen is one low-res, low-detail CAD picture for a single day and already you are making polls about whether or not you will buy it based on bad QC. Friggin unbelievable!!!!

For fu#@s sake, how can you make a decision based on the extremely limited information you have so far?

Graham

Well I hope you won't stop feeding us infor for being p!$$ed off by this thread.

Will take a leap of faith for the 21 but not the 51.

Yamato has made the 21 twice before in 1/72.

Just hope they build on the earlier success and not do the purple fast pack color shift again.

Let's just say if it DOES happen (in either 1st or FP release), we shouldn't be surprised, m'kay? 'Great' way to boost sales.

Though I wont fully agree with that. the yf-19 was released 3 times already & yet yamato forgot to include the chest locking mechanism; though Yamato should be given credits because its a totally different design than the previous YF-19s/VF-19 releases...

Though I meant a total bomb. The arms for the VF-0S weren't that good cause the housing joint was too thin and cracked easily.

I'm not too concerned about the chest lock cause the YF-19 holds together when I pose it on the shelf.

Hello there!

I am a new member I had visited this site and looked at all the great pics and today finally registered. Anyways, I have alot of catching up to do, many of you have some great collections.

well back on the topic, I did get the second version of the YF-21 1/72 scale and I though it was much improved over the first version which looked like a cow by comparison!

I finally picked up the 1/60 YF-19 and it looks great! (still waiting for my booster pack) If the 19 is any indication oh where Yamato is going with their incarnations then I think I may pick up the first version.

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

well, I wouldn't want people to think I'm falling on the stereotype that french people are rude and inconsiderate. Because, you know, hastily judging someone or something, based on a few people's experiences would be bad and looked down on. And I'm SURE it's not the sort of thing odr78 would do. ;):p

Well....I guess I like their Vol au Vonts. Ok then. It's just that after a bad experience with that deadboy...well you know what its like. :p

Edited by kensei

I give credit to Yamato because I agree in the same ordinance (with everyone else) that they've done what no other company has ever done before with the new and old VF/YFs.

If they were to make the VF-0s' shoulders diecast there could've been that possibility that the metal would've been too rough on the shoulder plastic ball joints or lower bicep housing which would've resulted in a worn down (wear and tear) effect. The ball joint would've worn down leaving a loose shoulder effect. The same goes for the lower bicep; the metal version might've resulted in a loose twisting swivel.

They could've done that and some of us would've still complained about the shoulders. XD

Alas... they didn't do that. Leaving us with cracked plastic upper arms.

This maybe a little off topic..., but does anyone remember what the exact reasons for why Yamato discontinued the original first YF-19 (with metal shoulders; 1st edition)? I still got one of these and many second editions mint in their boxes. XD

Just pondering a bit... seeing the possibility of a similar case/reasoning.

Hopefully the above mentioned case won't be an issue with the YF-21. I don't mind a complete plastic YF-21 (with no diecast) as long as they can get the majority of the parts right!

***EDIT***

And yes... I will be getting a first edition. I usually do. I don't mind coping and fixing the issues depending the scale of the matter.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

This maybe a little off topic..., but does anyone remember what the exact reasons for why Yamato discontinued the original first YF-19 (with metal shoulders; 1st edition)? I still got one of these and many second editions mint in their boxes. XD

First gen 1/72 YF-19 was the original self-destructing Yamato valkyrie. The infamous 'tab-B' on the fuselage neck joint came under too much pressure in fighter mode and would snap off leaving you with a battroid-only toy. They re-designed the tab-B for the 2nd version but also swapped plastic shoulders for the metal ones because of feedback that the paint scrapping off. Other improvements include changing the way the tail fins pivot (for better clearance in B-mode).

Edit: Come to think of it... So much has changed; so little has changed.

Edited by drifand

After the crooked gunpod, out of the box stressmarked parts, and disfunctional landing gear of the yf-19,

along with the frackin bull-schiss they pulled with the vf-0a shin, I've reluctantly joined the wait and see club... <_<

Edited by Nani?!

Oh I'm not making my decision based on the look of the YF-21, I have total faith that it's going to kick the living sh!t out of the old YF-21 and all previous versions made.

I'm just feeling a bit burned about the VF-0A's shoulder problem. I waited past the VF-0S because of the complaints of loose joints, and there were such positive reviews on the VF-0A I went ahead and happily bought it. But that was before the shoulder problems really started coming to light.

But, in light of the overall good job on the YF-19 (crooked gunpod and landing gear issues aside), I'm much more liable to go with a first release YF-21 if the overall reviews are good, after a reasonable waiting period.

you are right Eugimon.. :lol: You're welcome in France.....

f you have a doubt.. read my signature... and you can verify Kensei...... do not draw from attive conclusion :angry:

Be cool boss, it's just watercooler talk and random fan speculation. B))

Only you know the full story, the real dirt.

You know like I know as soon as people see solid proto pics and hear more info they will flock to it like flys to sh!t. . . ;)

And until it hits the streets 'ya just gotta expect the dissing and gallons of hater-aid getting passed around. :rolleyes:

A very good observation about the MW forums & its members ... and why I love coming!!

B))

you are right Eugimon.. :lol: You're welcome in France.....

f you have a doubt.. read my signature... and you can verify Kensei...... do not draw from attive conclusion :angry:

Is that a veiled threat? I'm just quivering. :rolleyes::lol: I reneged in a previous post, so don't you jump to conclusions.

Besides the fact that I would be very wary of using those types of words or anything close in ANY language I am a beginner at in front of other people...it's just like using the word "baka" in Japanese, "Pichka ti mater" or "Vratise kaj majchiniot bro" in Macedonian or "merdes" in French so then I wouldn't have to say "OOPS!" later. So let it go. ;)

Edited by kensei

A very good observation about the MW forums & its members ... and why I love coming!!

B))

Just gotta call it the way 'ya see it. . .

It just goes in cycles, with every toy Yamato has released.

I have over six 1st release valks, all of them have 0 quality issues. Aside from a loose joint which is easily corrected there's nothing wrong with them.

I'll be getting the 1st release for sure. Never know if there ever will be a 2nd release.

Edited by OmegaD3k

Depends on the Reviews... i'll grab one from HLJ.com as an early bird, and after that, i'll buy another 4, depending on

the 1st release QC/Design Flaw rating. I am not waiting for a 2nd release. That's just silly....................................

I need one to be permantly displayed in fighter mode, surely the figher mode will be tight as. 1st release for me.

And who voted for the Toynazi YF-21??? That so wrong in SO many ways. rofl :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie