The Dark Knight Thread

i've seen that bat-pod/tumbler toy up close, the tumbler in particular looks like a knock-off.

the pod is decent, but it doesn't look like remove the figure riding it, plus it's a different size compared to the other figures.

for $30, it's too expensive for the quality. i guess what you get from it is the nifty eject-o feature.

and it seems to hide the pod inside pretty well

for $30, it's too expensive for the quality. i guess what you get from it is the nifty eject-o feature.

and it seems to hide the pod inside pretty well

See, I don't know why Mattel insists on throwing us crap vehicles that aren't even in the movie such as a Batcycle, Attack ATV or Batcopter. They should've just given us a simple Batpod. Not one that comes in a crappy Tumbler shell or an oversized launcher with a rip cord.

And so, I'll just stick with my good ol' Tumbler from Batman Begins.

Okay, so I'm a little late in the game to give my reactions.

Watched it last weekend, and absolutely loved it. For some strange reason, I feel quite satisfied with the movie and ain't clamouring for another sequel just yet.

I think they could have easily tried to fit the Two-Face stuff into a third movie (maybe even throw in the grand face-off finale between Bats and the Joker in there too). But I'm glad they packed everything into this one film.

Heath did a great job. His Joker had just the right mix of charismatic silliness and pyschotic menace to him. One minute, he acts like someone you could have a wickedly good time with. And the very next second, he scares the utter jeebies out of you! Definitely a good, multi-layered, and appropriate portrayal of the Joker.

Also, the disappearing pencil and Bat's interrogation of Maroney were f'ng awesome!! ("This isn't high enough to kill me"......<release>) :D

Great movie and great performances all around. See Hollywood; this is how you make an entertaining action movie that's richly complex and thought-provoking too!

Ok, after watching the movie a third time, and planning a fourth and fifth with another group of friends, just some additional thoughts:

I just realized that more than the other actors who portrayed batman in movies, bale created a "batman" that could not in any way be confused with Bruce Wayne. what i mean is, even knowing that batman is bruce wayne, whenever i see bale's Batman persona, I can see how no one would ever connect him to bruce wayne. he just looks, feels, acts differently.

i'm comparing this to the others.

- Adam West and George Clooney... oh my, do i really need to talk about that? :p

- Michael Keaton. He plays his bruce wayne a bit weird. and you always notice weird, so you could equate one weirdo with another. and keaton-bruce's quiet and introspective moments just sounds like the batman sometimes. (oh and of course, this is without even mentioning that he hangs upside down in the morning like a frickin bat... when reporter Vicky Vale is on his bed. whatanidiot. both of them. haha).

- Val Kilmer -- this one, he played his bruce wayne a little too close to batman. serious, brooding, quiet and obviously with a dark secret. while kilmer is a good actor, i didn't think he made any effort to act differently as batman, as he would bruce wayne. for me, this performance (with respect to differentiating between bruce wayne and batman) is the weakest.

-and now we have bale. i've seen TDK 3 times, i also watched Begins again for the 10th (?) time, and i just can't connect batman with bruce wayne. no one in his right mind would. i dunno, is it just the matter of changing his voice (yeah i know some hate it)? or the way batman consciously frowns all the time, whether or not he's talking? His change in demeanor?

I know this is an old observation, one proobably thrown around as early as Batman Begins. but seeing how much the Batman character has grown from Begins to TDK, i think it's just more pronounced this time around.

I just realized that more than the other actors who portrayed batman in movies, bale created a "batman" that could not in any way be confused with Bruce Wayne. what i mean is, even knowing that batman is bruce wayne, whenever i see bale's Batman persona, I can see how no one would ever connect him to bruce wayne. he just looks, feels, acts differently.

i'm comparing this to the others.

I'd like to think that Bale cribbed some notes from Kevin Conroy, the voice actor for Batman in the animated series.

But yeah, Bale is solid in differentiating between Bat's and Playboy Bruce's personas. Still wish his Batman voice had more of that smooth lowness that Conroy delivers.......Bale's Batman voice is bit too gruff at times.

Yes, LowViz, I noticed it was a bit long. But I really didn't mind. Made me walk out of the theater very satisfied and "full."

-and now we have bale. i've seen TDK 3 times, i also watched Begins again for the 10th (?) time, and i just can't connect batman with bruce wayne. no one in his right mind would. i dunno, is it just the matter of changing his voice (yeah i know some hate it)? or the way batman consciously frowns all the time, whether or not he's talking? His change in demeanor?

Lowering his voice makes him more animalistic. Sort of reassures you this guy is a freak of nature. It makes "sense" because he is all about hiding and disguising himself despite being annoying.

There are really three people:

1. batman (the tough guy who fights crime)

2. bruce wayne (as himself - acting normal with alfred)

3. bruce wayne (as the playboy - remember he is only acting like a playboy to disguise what he really does with spare time as his butler suggested him to)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The Batman voice doesn't bother me. It does a decent job.

The length of the movie doesn't bother me either. In fact, the longer the better. :p I don't quite understand why people are bothered by the longer length of any movie, as long as its good. Whats the hurry to leave?

Thank you for the link!

Eh, I'll pass. It's too big for starters. The front of the Tumbler just looks wrong. And I know I'm probably hoping for too much, but I was hoping to see a pod which used the front wheel of the Tumbler just like in the movie.

Thank you for the link!

Eh, I'll pass. It's too big for starters. The front of the Tumbler just looks wrong. And I know I'm probably hoping for too much, but I was hoping to see a pod which used the front wheel of the Tumbler just like in the movie.

me too :(

The Batman voice doesn't bother me. It does a decent job.

The length of the movie doesn't bother me either. In fact, the longer the better. :p I don't quite understand why people are bothered by the longer length of any movie, as long as its good. Whats the hurry to leave?

Totally agree, as long as the movie is good it can go for as long as it needs to be, and yeah what is the rush??

Girls have the excuse, they can't hold their bladder, but guys, if the movie is good stfu and watch it till it ends!

AND another thing, most movies these days have a special scene right at the end of the credits, i usually stay right to the end in hope of it.

99% of people up an leave just as the credits start to roll! I can't stand that, there is almost always something at the end of a movie.

Unfortunately this time this movie didn't reward me. But it finished in a good way, cept the fact that we can only speculate how a

meazly fall could kill two-face and will he be in the next movie! :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Guest sh002

saw the stealth launch batmobile in person. the batpod wheels aren't the same size as the front wheels of the batmobile. they should sell that batpod and figure individually on a card or a smaller 1/18 scale version to go with my model. it would be cool if some company actually made the batpod accurately transform.

I saw The Dark Knight yesterday and it was great. This has to be one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. All of the actors did a great job portraying their characters. The action and plot is intense. You can really believe Bruce Wayne / Batman are two totally different people. Heath Ledger's Joker is even better than Jack Nicholson's. The Joker this movie is completely insane and is someone you should be very afraid to encounter in person. The fall of Harvey Dent and his transition into Two Face was believable and sad. Some people have said that this movie is too long, but I thought was perfect. If you haven't this movie yet do so.You wont be disappointed.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of gimmick like that in toys where stuff is springloaded and you can smash yourself in the face with the projectiles. I wish effort went more into getting the batpod to act as the escape pod from the tumbler itself.

Looks like good value for money. But they should work on making a collectors toy which tries to go for a realistic batpod feature.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of gimmick like that in toys where stuff is springloaded and you can smash yourself in the face with the projectiles. I wish effort went more into getting the batpod to act as the escape pod from the tumbler itself.

Looks like good value for money. But they should work on making a collectors toy which tries to go for a realistic batpod feature.

As far as value goes, the Stealth Launcher Tumbler is already overpriced. The Tumbler released for the last film was $5 less, but was much more detailed, had better features and was more durable.

Saw this last night, overall awesome film but I felt the gadgets were a bit overdone. Felt like I was watching a bond movie at one point.

And I just don't buy the Batpod ejecting from the Tumbler, cool as it was. It didn't look very believable, I mean I just don't see how Batman got from being in the cockpit to being on that thing. I like the Batmissile in Batman returns loads better, it was cooler looking and you could see how it transitioned.

That said, the Batpod was very cool once it was doing it's stuff and that turn up against the wall was brilliant.

Amazing film though, true masterpiece of our time. I'm going to have to watch it several more times when the dvd comes out to really appreciate it.

Edited by Fort Max

Saw this last night, overall awesome film but I felt the gadgets were a bit overdone. Felt like I was watching a bond movie at one point.

And I just don't buy the Batpod ejecting from the Tumbler, cool as it was. It didn't look very believable, I mean I just don't see how Batman got from being in the cockpit to being on that thing. I like the Batmissile in Batman returns loads better, it was cooler looking and you could see how it transitioned.

That said, the Batpod was very cool once it was doing it's stuff and that turn up against the wall was brilliant.

Amazing film though, true masterpiece of our time. I'm going to have to watch it several more times when the dvd comes out to really appreciate it.

*sigh* i wonder when the DVD will come out.

I believe the way Batman sits in the Tumbler has always been on the pod itself. There might be two batpods since there are two front wheels. But there's a normal mode and the one where he goes prone in the Tumbler assuming batpod-position. So not sure how it happens in there.

I believe the way Batman sits in the Tumbler has always been on the pod itself. There might be two batpods since there are two front wheels. But there's a normal mode and the one where he goes prone in the Tumbler assuming batpod-position. So not sure how it happens in there.

that's also what i thought (and it sounds more logical), but they're saying that the bat-pod's wheels come from the Tumbler's two front wheels, so i'm kinda confused now.

Guest sh002

this is what i think and remember. whenever batman lays in the tumbler to fire cannons, he is like in the batpod position and technically in part of the batpod.

in the escape scene, the tumbler cannons position to the sides of the batpod's front wheel. the two front wheels of the tumbler make the batpod. the tumbler's front right wheel folds out real quick to make the back wheel of the batpod.

I saw the movie late Sunday night. I must say, it's an absolutely stunning movie! I'd probably have to agree with Fort Max about it being a masterpiece of our time. It's easily a top five favorite of mine...probably second only to The Fifth Element. It would have been nice if Two-Face had more screen time...tis the only minutiae gripe I have with the movie. Other than that, it was solid! I cannot wait to see it again!

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Oihan

*sigh* i wonder when the DVD will come out.

Pre Christmas I imagine, along with the much rumoured but thus far unconfirmed videogame.

that's also what i thought (and it sounds more logical), but they're saying that the bat-pod's wheels come from the Tumbler's two front wheels, so i'm kinda confused now.

That's defintely what I saw, the armour around the wheels (and presumably the front of the cockpit) all moves out of the way and (I thought) different guns appear on either side of the front left wheel.

That wheel is then ejected, dragging Batman on the frame with it and finally the other front wheel is ejected off it's mount and sort of snaps into postion as the Batpod's back wheel.

Very odd way to go about it, I doubt it'd really work in real life without severe difficulties in engineering but it certainly looks good on screen.

I stand by my statement that the Batmissile was cooler though. :lol:

if you take a good look at the pictures, the Tumbler & Pod have completely different parts aside from the tires.

there's no way the pod can actually "eject" from the Tumbler.

for example, the guns on the Tumbler have square/rectangle muzzle brakes while the Pod has round ones.

and the steering arms/braces (or whatever they are) on the tumbler's front wheels disappear on the Pod.

it's another one of those suspension of disbelief things. and i love it ^_^

maybe one day, somebody will make a Tumbler that has a completely transformable Pod that fits perfectly inside.

it would be the ultimate tribute to the Tumbler's passing. hopefully for much less than $700 :lol:

Watched it again today, better second time. Dunno if i'll make the third, i'll see.

There was sum old f*** couple talking the whole time, wtf peopl piss off outta the cinema! No one wants to hear you f'n talk.

I'm like "shhh" once, and they didn't notice, ruined it kinda for me, and a soft co*k behind them didn't do a thing either. I HATE these people.

I was looking for harvey's chest to breathe, didn't, but his right (good eye) was closed, so he could have been just comatized, left bad eye doesn't count. :p

he'll be back.

Bat Pod is officially the coolest cycle yet, loved how it rolled sideways and then stopped outright. batman is SO mutha truckin NINJA!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Did anyone get the feeling that the story was altered towards the end to make Joker the main man instead of ol' Bats? I felt that they struggled with how to end the story with the alteration and it felt kinda protracted before the ending. Not that I'm complaining though. They did a good job it's the result that matters.

Did anyone get the feeling that the story was altered towards the end to make Joker the main man instead of ol' Bats? I felt that they struggled with how to end the story with the alteration and it felt kinda protracted before the ending. Not that I'm complaining though. They did a good job it's the result that matters.

Didn't Heath die before the movie was finished? So they must have had to do some altering to the ending. Maybe he was going to get the ick originally?

Anyone in the know? Would the movie have been longer? Or did heath die right after they finished shooting all the scenes...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie