Hah, people watching Eureka Seven's finale on Adult Swim just got

Raptor

All true. But considering there wasn't that much edited or cut from earlier episodes and that they already had a dubbed version of the epilogue done (complete with English ending credits), I can easily understand the frustration and annoyance welling up.

Heck, despite seeing the subbed episode myself months ago, even I was irked by what happened last night.

But then again, what else would you expect from Adult Swim? <_<:rolleyes:

bah, what they did to eureka 7 is NOTHING compared to how Fox royaly F'ed up Escaflowne.

As someone mentioned not long ago: ROBOTECH :lol:

Anyways, I didn't catch Fox's "take" on Escaflowne. I recall seeing it broadcast in 1999 or 2000, something like that here in the USA but I didn't watch it since it was the dubbed version (I'm a subbed loyalist).

Two other reasons I bypassed it on TV:

- I saw it on a training excercise via my roommate's VHS tapes in 1998.

- American TV, espec. at that time, had a nasty habit for butchering transferred anime's for broadcast.

I'm glad I saw the regular Japanese & subbed version. The later movie can't even touch those works.

Oh, the infamous Escaflowne edit. One more reason, on a very long list, why I hate television and refuse to watch it. I caught an episode of Escaflowne when over at a friend's when he was watching it on YTV here in Canada. The story was so disjointed due to the editing, I don't think I could have followed it if I hadn't already seen the episode unedited. I shook my head and couldn't believe that stuff like this still happens after all these years. We think anime has come so far since the late 70's/80's, but damn do some broadcasters in this country have a lot of growing up to do.

Welll that sucks for Eureka Seven fans who watch it on tv.

God, I freaking hated the US tv butchering of Escaflowne. Switching the music track around, new crappy sfx, cutting scenes, skipping episodes. GAH! I almost blew a blood vessel remembering all that.

Hate when stuff gets butchered and cut.

Meh its not like Eureka 7 is a good show ..its terrible.

I've got to agree with you there. Eureka 7 is a mediocre show at best. Besides, the casual fan watching on TV, who has not seen the unedited subbed version, would not know the difference anyway. All the belly aching is just from some fans who have way too much invested emotion to understand that the general adult swim viewer simply does not care.

Edited by mechaninac

What happened in the last five minutes again?

Edit: Apparently AS will be re-airing the last episode in it's entirety (editing out all of the non-PC stuff supposedly?) at 1 am this Saturday because of all the angry viewers.

Edited by Oihan

uhhh..what was non-pc of the last episode?

I don't remember...which is why I asked what happened in the last five minutes.

"Eureka will definitely re-air Saturday at 1 AM. We're looking in to the possibility of replay on the Fix, but we may not be able to due to rights restrictions. The re-broadcast of GITS will be pushed back by a week.

I think some of the most hard core of you (i.e. the fan subbers) might still have a few issues with the broadcast but we are bringing you the best possible version we are allowed to show.

We're sorry to all the fans. I hope you guys know that we would never intentionally screw up the finale to drive the ratings down. Even on April Fools this year, we showed the episodes twice on the fix and broadcast them the next week." - BrandMerrill (Admin on [AS] forums)

Here's the link...!

Edited TV broadcast you say, never saw that coming :)

I gave up attempting to watch that many months ago, and just finished it on youtube. The DVD's coming out extremely slow is a much bigger issue.

Meh its not like Eureka 7 is a good show ..its terrible.

I'm sure everyone has a right to their opinion.

Eureka Seven won awards at the 2006 Tokyo Anime Fair for Best Television Series, Screenplay, and Character Design.[2] Anime Insider voted it "Best DVD Series of the Year" in 2006.[3]

:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Seven

Oihan, to answer your question, they cut out the beginning monologue by Eureka and a little bit of the conversation between Holland and Juergens(sp?).

But more damning, they cut out the entire epilogue with Grampa Thurston and the three kids AND just re-ran the fourth ending credits in its place.

Unless there's something un-PC about eating a big meal or going somewhere to look at the moon, it was just an odd editing choice that makes you go "WTF?" :unsure::blink:

Well, that begs the question then of did that episode run more commercial time than normal? If the final episode is the same length as the others with those scenes in then it stands to reason that there would be a noticeable increase in commercial time with them removed. On the flip side of the coin if that episode runs long then more than likely it was pre-edited to fit the broadcast time slot. Not much a network can do about that... they have to hit hard breaks and pay the bills. It's TV after all... not like they are pulling the show right off the DVD into your living room.

Then again I guess I'm just used to having TV programs cut up, cut down, not run and just plain canceled. I would see this "broadcast short" as a reason to seek out and watch the uncut DVDs... who knows what else they've cut.

I don't know because I stopped watching the show after like episode four. :p

To answer your original question JsARCLIGHT, the original version of this episode had no opening credits/song and no ending credits/song.

The version that aired on Adult Swim last Saturday had BOTH the usual opening and ending songs.

It's the fact that those two things were ADDED into the episode when they removed the epilogue that just boggles the mind.

Sure, I can understand time constraints (which is why I was NOT overly-annoyed by them removing the beginning parts of this episode...I figured it meant they would make it up by leaving the epilogue as is).

But for them to remove the entire epilogue, when they already had a dubbed version of the epilogue, when that dubbed version already had the English credits on it, and when they REPLACED the epilogue with the usual ending credits, that was just downright bone-headed on their part.

Also, the title of the episode is based on stuff that's said in the epilogue, and the epilogue provides an appropriate end to the entire series. If cuts had to be made for time, the epilogue should have been on the short-list of things to keep in the aired episode.

Edited by Mog

Oihan, to answer your question, they cut out the beginning monologue by Eureka and a little bit of the conversation between Holland and Juergens(sp?).

But more damning, they cut out the entire epilogue with Grampa Thurston and the three kids AND just re-ran the fourth ending credits in its place.

Unless there's something un-PC about eating a big meal or going somewhere to look at the moon, it was just an odd editing choice that makes you go "WTF?" :unsure::blink:

Well when they say the "best possible version we are allowed to show" it makes you wonder...makes me wonder anyway. Whatever though...as wolfx said...at least they're re-airing it.

Well when they say the "best possible version we are allowed to show" it makes you wonder...makes me wonder anyway. Whatever though...as wolfx said...at least they're re-airing it.

So... if they're reairing the full thing, what was not suitable to be shown for the "best possible version" to begin with?

Well, seems to me the episode got "serialized" for TV broadcast. As much as it sucks here in the states people feel the need to have intro/outro credits and titles on shows. When a show doesn't have intros/outros or it has strange timings it fouls up the whole "commercial break" timings... which, let's face it is the thrust of broadcast TV. As an outsider looking in this whole debacle seems to be nothing more than a screw up in domesticating a non-conformist (in media timings) foreign show to the domestic broadcast market.

I saw Adult Swim's "apology" last night while watching Futurama and from their explanation it seems someone used the "wrong log", which to me indicates they possibly decided to master their own cut of the episode from several tapes rather than from the one single broadcast master... once again most likely due to inconsistent break timings and irregular run length. Take the intro/outro out of a show and the tape queue positions and run timings get messed up.