Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

why do you want to know, got another pie you want to throw, captain cream puff?

I've just got questions about taking a modern-day classic Japanese animation series and infusing it with a "feel" that was not there when it was originally made, thereby threatening how close the result will come in quality to the original.

Edited by Kamjin 639

No...no...I am refering to that "Beautiful World" number in the Youtube clip, can't see how it fit into the pace of an Eva movie, and it doesn't feel like an ending theme. I can live with her Fly Me to the Moon, infact, you have to be really bad to stuff up Fly Me to the Moon. :blink:

It sounds like any other remix of Fly Me To The Moon to me.

Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Mowe

I like Utada's FMTTM. :) Not only I had that song stuck in my head, but my wife's as well. :lol:

I do know what you guys mean though about the Beautiful World song. Then again there was Komm susser todd (or whatever it's called). So it isn't that far fetched of a song to use in the movie.

Then again it really should have Cruel Angel's Thesis somewhere in the first movie... I'm still disappointed that the Cowboy Bebop movie didn't have the tv series opening theme in it somewhere, even in a remixed format.

Funny you should mention the J-pop girls. Up till now, all the Eva theme songs have been performed by people whom can sing rather than their J-Pop status. They were chosen for their ability rather than their look or popularity (I would take away those silly versions of Fly Me to the Moon sung by Auska and Rei - actually I like Megumi's version of Tamashii no Rufuran alot)

With the new movie, I am guessing a record deal must have been strucked between Gainax and Utada's record label, so the theme songs are limited to Utada's palette, rather than coming up with a song that is suitable for the movie.

yeah, beautiful world is over sung. but at least utada CAN sing... so much jpop is done by girls, singing through their noses all breathy and at the range of their abilities.

"Come Sweet Death" was a great choice for the end of the world scene. Even the style was tailored to suit the movie (done in a kind of Gospel fashion, sung in the happiest melody with the saddest lyrics one could possibility asked for)

The Beautiful World sounds like a J-Pop tune picked out from Utada's up-coming album.

I am not begging Utada's ability to sing but I am disappointed with the direction of the two themes we've heard from the trailers so far, they are just not that coherant with Eva (personal view only).

Sumdumgai, just play UNSPACY's Youtube links on Post #169, that's the song.

I like Utada's FMTTM. :) Not only I had that song stuck in my head, but my wife's as well. :lol:

I do know what you guys mean though about the Beautiful World song. Then again there was Komm susser todd (or whatever it's called). So it isn't that far fetched of a song to use in the movie.

Then again it really should have Cruel Angel's Thesis somewhere in the first movie... I'm still disappointed that the Cowboy Bebop movie didn't have the tv series opening theme in it somewhere, even in a remixed format.

Edited by Mowe

Thank you, that is my point. :)

I get that, the music we've heard is very developed while the original soundtrack focused a lot on vocals with a more restrained sensability, creating a much more intimate space.

Felt a little nostalgic and watched the "Come Sweet Death" sequence on EOE again, and spotted this little trivia: just before Ibuki dies, Ritsuko typed something on Ibuki's laptop. I think it reads: "I need you", how sweet… :wub: Eva still surprises me every now and then.

Edited by Mowe

• 2 weeks later...
But please, no more jerking off Shinji. That was bad the first time :lol:

Aww, but "Pulling a Shinji" has become vernacular in my circle of friends that has seen the movie.

Honestly, I'm holding back on my judgement on the upcoming movies, but imho Evangelion's time has come and gone. I'd be just as happy if they let the franchise die.

Edited by Max Jenius

Sorry, but you needed a little editing. There's nothing about this that seems new or different to me. It'd be like someone going out and making new Lord of the Rings movies.

Didn't you hear? Peter Jackson is going back and re-filming/re-editing the movies for a deluxe super-special edition. He said he had always envisioned something "Familiar, yet different" for the trilogy. :unsure:

Seriously though, I'm anticipating the "new" EVA as more of a curiosity than anything. It'll be fun/interesting to see whatever changes they make, but on a whole I seriously doubt myself or many EVA fans are going to set aside their years of love and infatuation for the original series in favor of this new experiment. It may look prettier, but it's going to be near impossible to capture the soul or essence of the first.

Aww, but "Pulling a Shinji" has become vernacular in my circle of friends that has seen the movie.

Honestly, I'm holding back on my judgement on the upcoming movies, but imho Evangelion's time has come and gone. I'd be just as happy if they let the franchise die.

Don't worry, Shinji might not be doing any pulling physically, but trust Anno or his staff to slip in those metaphysic symbols.... :lol:

post-3608-1187623564_thumb.jpg

and who is getting intimate with Misato?? May be they are trying to suck more out of the wicked relationship between Shinji and Misato in front of the raising Phallic Tokyo-3 city.... :blink:

post-3608-1187623792_thumb.jpg

And to the question of is this any different to the old Eva? Of course it is, a bigger budget and less Anno... :)

Edited by Mowe

Not too much longer ^_^

Did we ever get a proper end for Evangelion? from what I remember, Anno had a disagreement with Gainax (Creative differences?) about something, and

supposedly Anno was pissed and we got the whole 'Instrumentality Project' ending. The fans didn't like that, and Anno supposedly recieved alot of death threats from fans, so we got the wierdness that was EOE. I'll have to see about sources for those, but does anyone else think that finally we are going to get the ending that the series was 'supposed' to have? :blink:

not that there was anything wrong with the EOE and series endings, or anything :rolleyes:

yeah there were alot of death threats and that resulted in the 1st movie

and that didnt go over well with the fans so then theres the 2nd movie.

of the 3 endings i like the 2nd movie more than either the tv shows or the 1st movie

I dont think that they'll make an "ending"as much as they'll leave it open to make sequels

The version I heard is that during the later part of the making of the TV series, many sponsors pulled out because they thought the series were getting a little too wacky. With tight budget, Anno couldn't fully realise the TV ending the way he intended, so we got stuck with Shinji's mind trip only. The whole story of the Human Instrumentality Project could not be further explained during the TV final epsiode, so many TV viewers were left with WTF? :blink:

Now, I thought those death threads that we saw on EoE were wrtitten to him by fans whom didn't like the TV ending.

yeah there were alot of death threats and that resulted in the 1st movie

and that didnt go over well with the fans so then theres the 2nd movie.

of the 3 endings i like the 2nd movie more than either the tv shows or the 1st movie

I dont think that they'll make an "ending"as much as they'll leave it open to make sequels

Edited by Mowe

I seriously doubt the death threat thing. Japanese fans just aren't that rabid. 2chan rabid maybe, but not death threat rabid. The TV & Movie endings are essentially the same, with scenes from episode 25 showing up as full blown scenes in EoE. Looking at Anno's before & after directing style (say Gunbuster & Kare Kano), I think it's safe to say that TV eps 25 & 26 were an artistic choice more than anything, considering with or without sponser support, the budget just wouldn't have been there to do up the last 2 episodes on a grand scale.

The rest I'd leave up to internet fan myth.

I seriously doubt the death threat thing. Japanese fans just aren't that rabid. 2chan rabid maybe, but not death threat rabid. The TV & Movie endings are essentially the same, with scenes from episode 25 showing up as full blown scenes in EoE. Looking at Anno's before & after directing style (say Gunbuster & Kare Kano), I think it's safe to say that TV eps 25 & 26 were an artistic choice more than anything, considering with or without sponser support, the budget just wouldn't have been there to do up the last 2 episodes on a grand scale.

The rest I'd leave up to internet fan myth.

The death threats are real dude. Its in EoE for everyone to see.

They even had shots of the GAINAX office vandalised with graffiti by angry fans IIRC.

And speaking of rabidness, there was once I read an interview with the ADV chief guy....he said he had a knock on his door at 2am by some crazy American fanboy demanding answers to the ending of Evangelion when it was initially released in the US.