Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

On April 11, 2007, the official site of the movie informed that the official title of first movie is "ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版 åº(Evangelion Shin-Gekijyoban Jo) EVANGELION 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE".

IPB Image

No Asuka. They have Kaworu, they have Touji and his girl, they even have Kensuke. But no Asuka.

They must have gotten sick of her and ate her. And there was much rejoicing. :p

I have to admit to being curious about the movie though. :)

haha, if lucas can do it, why can't gainax?

Good point. Well, what is a "rebuild" anyway? I wonder if we're talking about major story changes or a ring of fire from an exploding Death-Star...

I THINK the idea for the Rebuild part was stated as trying to streamline and uncomplicate the murkiness of the latter portion of the series. The poster looks good, but there's nothing new there. I assume the designs won't change much either, which isn't a bad thing, if they can finally decide on one final satisfying ending.

And besides, Shinji IS so VERY alone by the end.... mostly because he's a pussy.

From what I have read the first 3 movies are supposed to expand on episodes or material already covered. The 4th is supposed to be completely new content.

As for Lucas and Star Wars.... you can only watch guys play with glowsticks for so long before you realize it never was any good to begin with.

Rob :ph34r:

I THINK the idea for the Rebuild part was stated as trying to streamline and uncomplicate the murkiness of the latter portion of the series. The poster looks good, but there's nothing new there. I assume the designs won't change much either, which isn't a bad thing, if they can finally decide on one final satisfying ending.

And besides, Shinji IS so VERY alone by the end.... mostly because he's a pussy.

No Asuka. They have Kaworu, they have Touji and his girl, they even have Kensuke. But no Asuka.

They must have gotten sick of her and ate her. And there was much rejoicing. :p

I have to admit to being curious about the movie though. :)

haha. Would be interesting if they decided to cut her out of the movies. Wouldn't have a problem with it at all since I could stand her. Though I at least hope they wil give Shinji at least something that might be able to grow into a backbone. If you are going to have a main character that weak at least give viewers a supporting character they can get behind or see things from their point of view.

I'm really curious as to how they'll end this. They already tried the whole philosophical approach with the TV sereis. At least that's what I think they were going. Then they pretty much killed everyone off with the movies. What other directions can they go in now?

Seriously if they drop the ball on an ending again they should just put out a guide explainings point by point in simple terms. Animation wise isn't really working to well for them. At least stop being vague and spell things out. Making people think is one thing but with Eva its something beyond that.

My first thought was that they're going to give the minor characters bigger roles in Rebuild. Maybe Eva 03 won't be posessed and Touji will be a pilot?

I'd miss Asuka, if she vanished from the rebuild... but then it might be interesting to see what Shinji does without her... or knew that she was there but ends up missing her when she isn't...*shrugs*

And I should be excited...why?

Don't get me wrong; I thought that Evangelion was brilliant, and I'm one of the few people who seems to actually support the original ending for the series due to it's strong make-you-think-for-once-you-stupid-animé-fanboy style. But Evangelion is old news. It's been done to death, and frankly, I'd rather see something new instead of yet another rehash of an old series.

Were there really people demanding this? Are there still people who can't get-over a director who decided to show viewers who's really in charge?--For my awareness, everyone who's seen Evangelion has accepted the fact that everything went it's own way for a reason. Maybe if there was some sort of sequel of sorts, with a new storyline and new characters, I'd actually care, but I've seen and heard enough of Evangelion for my lifetime.

There can be too much of a good thing.

While we're at it, why did the "geniuses" at GAINAX decide to "funkify" the name of the series?

OLDTYPE:新世紀エヴァンゲリオン

NEWTYPE:ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版

Kamijn- I'm one of the supporters of the origional ending. I've never seen EoE (other than clips of Asuka fighting), and never really want to. Every re-watch of the ending brings new interpretations.

I'd want to see more Eva, mostly because it is a thought-provoking anime. Not many anime that I know of nowadays really is, at least in the sense of Evangelion (maybe Lain, but it doesn't have giant robots).

'Sides, I'd like to see more of the characters again and have their story expanded. What fan wouldn't? But I feel removing Asuka is like having The origional Star Trek without McCoy. Like ST, Eva has the essential three of the pilots and the interaction between them. Without Asuka's impulsiveness we're left with Shinji's moodyness and Rei's reflective introspection. Leave the series kinda quiet and slow... was that way at least until Asuka showed up in the series.

And even after Asuka had her brain zapped, she was important to Shinji, 'specially in EoE, if what I've read is true anyway. As much of a batty as she is, she's important to Eva.

*shrugs* maybe her absince is indicative that something important happens to her.

I enjoyed Evangelion right up to episode 18 or so. At that point, it lost any humour it had in the earlier episodes and just became too depressing. The earlier episodes were a great mix of humour, action, and character interaction. Without that, it's much less of a good show.

I enjoyed Evangelion right up to episode 18 or so. At that point, it lost any humour it had in the earlier episodes and just became too depressing. The earlier episodes were a great mix of humour, action, and character interaction. Without that, it's much less of a good show.

I'm on the same boat. The series' last episodes left me with a "WTF did they do to the show?" thought in my head.

I saw the subsequent movies.

- A big "Previously on Evangelion" episode. Dull.

- A "We want to retell the ending but still leave it a WTF moment" episode. Ugh.

My gripe was that the endings (series or movie) were so completely out of whack with the rest of the series, it's like the movie "A.I." but done over the course of several episodes.

As for the possible "removal" of Asuka, I'd hate that.

Shinji - His self-pity, especially in the movie. Doom.

-- Sweet Mother of Meat did I hate him in EoE.

Rei - Drone. Gloom.

Asuka - Offsetting personality compared to other pilots. Spontaneous.

Nice to see they seem to want to retain Y.Sadamoto's designs, but no Asuka? Meh...

Edited by Warmaker

I bet GAINAX has long agonized over the ethical implications arising from their 'idealism' to make the original series a dead-end one... To do a 'Gundam' on their cash-cow requires quite a bit of 'thick skin' (as the Chinese would say), or Chutzpah. Really creative folks just MOVE ON. I'm certainly glad I don't see any similar bullsh** attempts to revive solid 'dead-enders' like Cowboy Bebop...

But it's not like they're sucessively reviving Evangelion in animation form every 3-5 years. It's been ten years since EOE, and nothing animated has come out about Evangelion. Best I've heard of is the NGE game for the PS2- but that's not exactly the same.

And to do a Gundam would constitute an entire series to follow up the origional. We're only hearing about four movies.

Asuka kicks butt.

of all the characters she gave you something to watch.

Shinji plays the psycho / wimp and Rei barely says anything.

I hope this rebuild is good.

I was waiting for someone to say that B))

Auska strikes!! :p

And allow me to say that, if Asuka shouldn't be there, neather should Kaworu. He doesn't even appear until the last episodes of the series.

Unless he has some importance to the events before Asuka's arrival?

And allow me to say that, if Asuka shouldn't be there, neather should Kaworu. He doesn't even appear until the last episodes of the series.

Unless he has some importance to the events before Asuka's arrival?

Why IS Kaworu there? :unsure: The only thing that I can think of is that they are going to show him working with SELEE (sp) for the dummy plug system for the production EVA's.. :huh::unsure:

What more could Kaji want if he already had Misato?

Both?--I'm not even being sarcastic. Both Misato and Asuka were so all-over Kaji that they would've settled for half of the man instead of none.

But it's not like they're sucessively reviving Evangelion in animation form every 3-5 years.

That might be true, but it's not like Evangelion has ever had a chance to "rest."--As soon as the animation was over, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto was giving "his version" in comic book form. Art books were being produced like there was no end. Then there was "the end," with Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion. Then more books, detailing not only ordinary book-stuff like mecha designs and character line-art, but freakin' discussions between animation companies and producers as-if most people even care. Model kits are still being made, feeding not only the original fanbase but a sort of poseur-fanbase of people who "learned from others" to idolise Evangelion's "brilliance." The comic book-based story, "Iron Maiden," ran (or may still be running) in Asuka Comics for far longer than anyone could care, basically under the guise of any-other girl's comic story EXCEPT it was "good" because it was Evangelion.

So yeah, Evangelion might not be in animation, but it never really stopped. Where there's money to be made, Japanese companies WILL milk it for what it's worth. While I understand this, if I had to see anything, I'd rather see Evangelion make a new story than play horsee to the fanboys who ride the same characters day-in and day-out.

I just rewatched Asuka's time-attack on the eva series from End of Evangelion. I remembered why I liked Asuka, despite her constant pms.

And since Shinji's hospital room scene, and you guys mention of yaoi... I'm really worried about watching this movie when it comes out... :p