Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

I saw it dubbed a few weeks ago and wrote a bit about it, so I'll post it here. "I saw the Evangelion 1.0 dub yesterday. It was my second full viewing of the film, though I've watched parts, particularly the ending, multiple times. Aside from some valley-girlish moments from Allison Keith early on, some wooden Ritsuko in the beginning, Kensuke sounding even more dorkish, and some thankfully mild rewording on Funimation's part (namely Misato referring to Shinji as her "roomie"), it actually was pretty decent.

I liked Gendo's new voice a lot. It had the same quiet menace the original had and the old dub lacked. The old dub sounded good, but the actor always played him too over the top and angry sounding. Rei was okay, though still nothing to write home about. Spike Spencer is improved. Shinji's more emo now and less outright whiny.

Accuracy seemed fairly good, though Funi did embellish as usual judging from the fansub I was watching later. Nothing too horrible like their Negima dub I suppose (straight out Americanizing). Though I didn't have a sub script to outright compare to. Thankfully, it wasn't a repeat of the End of Eva debacle. Manga sold their soul to Gaijin to get that monstrosity made, and even the sub suffered for it. Thankfully, Funi didn't make the same mistake to reassemble what had always been a mediocre dub cast.

I saw it at San Francisco's Sundance Kabuki in a last minute addition on Funi's part. It was digitally projected in what basically amounted to a cheap HD home theatre set up. The film itself on a burned, dub only Blu-ray disc. Hopefully, that will explain the color banding in some of the gradients I saw. The projectionist admitted not being able to use an optimum hookup for the equipment, but it still looked pretty decent outside that and the RGB bug in some scenes considering. I was expecting a digital presentation about equal to my home setup, so it wasn't that big a deal. I just hope the official Bluray doesn't have the same issues.

Speaking of the Kabuki, do they have a system based on pure trust? Not one employee checked my ticket, and I payed earlier in the day. Also, I have no problem paying an extra dollar or two to be free of the damn "First Look" and all the crap I get from TV anyway.

All in all, it was an enjoyable experience,and while I'll still prefer to watch Eva in Japanese, it's nice to know that not all of the dubs suck horribly."

Looking at that "review" all he really says about the film is that a condensation of a TV storyline leaves things wanting. Gee, do we really need someone to point out that 8 hours of material won't be able to be as in depth as 15 hours (though that's from generously rounding up)? That's been a long standing difference in media. Film just isn't as kind to slower storytelling as TV or books can be. When you have a set time limit of two hours, you do what you can. Hence why it's four movies. Not to mention his example of comparing it to 2/3 of the series is misleading as he's essentially talking about a series of films he's seen only one part of with that observation. 1.0 does not represent the first 2/3 of the series, just the first six episodes and should be compared to as such. To blame the film for not having the same impact as the whole of 18 episodes is a little silly. A little over an hour is missing here. It's the following films that will get more cuts. 2.0 is vastly different. This film's been mostly criticized for NOT being all that different from the series from what I've seen. He also criticizes it for focusing on battles, apparently missing the meaning of them. Nearly every fight has something to do with Shinji's development and serves to advance the story. Not to mention that he makes it sound like the Gundam films as a chop shop feature when it's all new animation (that does use old storyboards).

Really, it's one of those reviews that makes me wonder if he truly watched the film or even wanted to write about it. It sort of reeks of "I need to write something, but couldn't care less either way".

As for whether or not it's a good movie, I believe it is. One has to remember that it is merely part one of four, and only has to get the ball rolling. So I think it's accomplished it's goal as an opener. That's not to say it shouldn't stand alone. I definitely noticed on second viewing the soft focus on Shinji's need of approval and distance from his father, and that's generally what the film amounts to. Naturally, since it's the first in a series, it doesn't have a solid conclusion to this storyline, nor should it. Really, one shouldn't judge Rebuild of Eva until the whole itself is complete. Though I would venture to say that it probably helps being familiar with the original, sort of like DYRL. Having no way of seeing these without such prior experience, I have no way of knowing how the film stands to an Eva newby.

• 1 month later...

Almost forgot to mention, couldn't hold out the wait for 1.11 on bluray, so I picked up 1.01 to hold me over. All in all, I really liked it, all the subtle differences really intrigue me. For instance, a question for thsoe who have seen 2.0, has the explanation for the new Angel numbering order been given? Which old/new show up in 2.0? Have they flat out said that humanity has been classified as the 3rd Angel? Or perhaps Eva has?

Edited by Keith

slightly OT cuz not wanting to make a new topic...but church of NERV? Should Anno be proud that he has a new religion now?

Hm.

Very interesting. I officially converted to Haruhism about three months ago, but I have to check these guys out. Maybe there's some way to combine the two? After all, I DO have a NERV emblem on my jacket, but Haruhi and Nia are also there...so it's a toss up... well... not really - religiously I'm a Haruhist...but NERV... I would watch the Youtube - but I'll have to wait till tomorrow when I'm in a more hospitable location... however, I did google them and they don't seem to have a website, which is pretty shoddy....

Will try to find out more about it tomorrow when I can actually watch the youtube vids...

Pete

Almost forgot to mention, couldn't hold out the wait for 1.11 on bluray, so I picked up 1.01 to hold me over. All in all, I really liked it, all the subtle differences really intrigue me. For instance, a question for thsoe who have seen 2.0, has the explanation for the new Angel numbering order been given? Which old/new show up in 2.0? Have they flat out said that humanity has been classified as the 3rd Angel? Or perhaps Eva has?

The 3rd Angel makes its appearance in 2.0. It's not in the first movie at all.

As for WHY, no...they haven't explained it (I don't think...I saw it in the movie theater without the benefit of subs. I got most of what was going on, but there was a lot I missed, as well.

Hm.

Very interesting. I officially converted to Haruhism about three months ago, but I have to check these guys out. Maybe there's some way to combine the two? After all, I DO have a NERV emblem on my jacket, but Haruhi and Nia are also there...so it's a toss up... well... not really - religiously I'm a Haruhist...but NERV... I would watch the Youtube - but I'll have to wait till tomorrow when I'm in a more hospitable location... however, I did google them and they don't seem to have a website, which is pretty shoddy....

Will try to find out more about it tomorrow when I can actually watch the youtube vids...

Pete

I'd stick with Haruhi-ism. Any attempt at basing a religion around Eva would result in some sort of Seele styled fiasco, and no one needs that!

• 5 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread just for a single question/so I think this fits best in this thread.

I (finally!) got my Evangelion 1.11 Blu Ray today for which I'm unbelievably excited. Put it on just to check that everything is as it should and I'm glad to say that the visuals in full digital quality are astounding. Hope to watch it in its entirety this weekend if I can find the time

I am however a bit confused. On the box of the 1.11 it states that the running time of the film is 97 minutes.

On the box of my australian dvd release of 1.0 it states the running time as 98 minutes.

I was under the impression that 1.11 was 3 minutes longer?

I'm hoping its just a misprint on behalf of Manga and Funimation here in Europe. Of course I'll find out soon enough when I watch the film. But if anyone can explain this discrepancy to me before then I'd be most grateful.

• 3 weeks later...

slightly OT cuz not wanting to make a new topic...but church of NERV? Should Anno be proud that he has a new religion now?

<a href="

target="_blank">

lol, that is actually a meeting in India. They are speaking telugu, which I can actually speak! B))

If you guys want, I will translate it.

-Archer

lol, that is actually a meeting in India. They are speaking telugu, which I can actually speak! B))

If you guys want, I will translate it.

-Archer

So err...what exactly is this meeting about? XD

So err...what exactly is this meeting about? XD

So, it seems as though he and his group members are trying to promote a cross religion between Christianity and "Nerv"ism (lol). He is

proclaiming that apparently the Second Impact (I guess from evangelion?) will occur do to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Essentially,

he is promoting the fact that our world will soon be heading toward the direction the Earth in Evangelion took, and that rather than experiments on

an angel, the second impact will be caused by the second coming of Christ. That about sums it up. (the date for second impact is December 25, 2013 btw)

Looks like if we survive 2012, 2013 will be heading our way :lol:

-Archer

(btw, in no way, shape, or form am I trying to promote Christianity or "Nerv"ism)

So, it seems as though he and his group members are trying to promote a cross religion between Christianity and "Nerv"ism (lol). He is

proclaiming that apparently the Second Impact (I guess from evangelion?) will occur do to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Essentially,

he is promoting the fact that our world will soon be heading toward the direction the Earth in Evangelion took, and that rather than experiments on

an angel, the second impact will be caused by the second coming of Christ. That about sums it up. (the date for second impact is December 25, 2013 btw)

Looks like if we survive 2012, 2013 will be heading our way :lol:

-Archer

(btw, in no way, shape, or form am I trying to promote Christianity or "Nerv"ism)

That's just- I mean- I ca- can't for the lif... *brain breaks*

That's hilarious. Although if they were true Anno-ists, they'd also proclaim:

-That we are the descendants of "Atlantians" from space.

&

-That the main idol of worship should be large bouncing breasts.

Until such time, they're posers.

"Although," who here would be willing to file for tax exempt status based on the church of the Spiral, preaching the word of kicking common sense to the curb to make the impossible possible, and breaking through the heavens with your drill. All who oppose would be recognied as "Anti-Spirals," and forced to watch all 27 episodes of Gurren Lagann back to back, until they become "true men."

• 2 weeks later...

For those too impatient to wait for an eventual U.S. license, looks like the HK bluray of 2.22 is region A, will have english subtitles, and comes out next month. Yesasia has it up for $39.99

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I could wait 2 years or whatever for an official US release...

Edited by myk

For those too impatient to wait for an eventual U.S. license, looks like the HK bluray of 2.22 is region A, will have english subtitles, and comes out next month. Yesasia has it up for $39.99

Splendid news. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Just a question: how are the subs in Honk Kong releases (the legal kind!)??

Splendid news. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Just a question: how are the subs in Honk Kong releases (the legal kind!)??

The guys over at the anime on dvd forums say they put out a DVD of 1.0 with english subs that were great quality, so the same is epxected here.

Edited by Keith

The guys over at the anime on dvd forums say they put out a DVD of 1.0 with english subs that were great quality, so the same is epxected here.

Great.

Just pre-ordered the DVD version since my Blu Ray is unfortunately not multi-system. That way I can patiently await the extra year or so that it'll take for Funimation to finally release a Blu Ray version.

Great.

Just pre-ordered the DVD version since my Blu Ray is unfortunately not multi-system. That way I can patiently await the extra year or so that it'll take for Funimation to finally release a Blu Ray version.

But the bluray is compatible with all U.S./Canadian/Japanese bluraya players.

• 2 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=689370:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:09 PM:name=taksraven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taksraven @ Dec 8 2008, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=689370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why the hell don't films like this get a broader release in places like Australia. I would watch it in Japanese (I know what they are saying anyway) without subtitles, just to get the cinema experience. Not fair.

Taksraven<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, releasing a Japanese-language movie in an English-speaking country with no subtitles makes so much sense. What the hell where they thinking?

Screw you, Chucky, I would just be happy to have the chance to see this and any other Evangelion films that are released, to hell with the broader commercial appeal, they could screen it just for me, I don't care.

Taksraven

(yes I am still bearing a grudge for some shite, especially when people were taking the piss out of me during my exile months so long ago now. Not nice.)

Edited by taksraven

• 5 months later...