Got my 1st 1/48 Valk today

thegunny

IMO, i think die cast parts r for Super Robots and Chogokins alike. 'coz most of them really dont need to transform but instead they combine to a single Robot....

i only got one 1:48 1J .....and it really stands out from the 1:60's n 1:55's....one issue though for d 1:48's ...its so fragile....small pegs might easily break anytime if ur NOT really carefull handling it....it really is not ment for playing...

what pegs?

Anyway the 1/60s are good IMO , yeah not great but they look good in Fighter Mode

the 1/48s for me are much better the scale thing isn't really an issue for me.

These 1st runs need to stop having problems ex: 1/60 Vf-OA/OS YF-19.

I like metal in robots and would like to see an all metal VF-1 , perhaps someday.

what pegs?

Anyway the 1/60s are good IMO , yeah not great but they look good in Fighter Mode

the 1/48s for me are much better the scale thing isn't really an issue for me.

These 1st runs need to stop having problems ex: 1/60 Vf-OA/OS YF-19.

I like metal in robots and would like to see an all metal VF-1 , perhaps someday.

anodized aluminum works for me. or brushed titanium.

anodized aluminum works for me. or brushed titanium.

I'd go for the anodized aluminum too. Titanium would just be too expensive.

hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;

:lol::lol::lol:

yes, I too would like to hear about the small fragile pegs that break very easily.

no major issue...i was simply refering to those small "PEGS" on the legs....i just thought it "might" break easily if ur not aware of how to handle the transformation properly (like for 1st timers like me!!!) :rolleyes: ....luckily it didnt happen to my valk.... :)

IPB Image

no major issue...i was simply refering to those small "PEGS" on the legs....i just thought it "might" break easily if ur not aware of how to handle the transformation properly (like for 1st timers like me!!!) :rolleyes: ....luckily it didnt happen to my valk.... :)

IPB Image

I think you deserve a special award if you manage to break that particular part of the 1/48.

I'd go for the anodized aluminum too. Titanium would just be too expensive.

hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;hbar;

:lol::lol::lol:

but think how glorious it would be... machined titanium, with inlaid silver and gold for accents like the stripes and the kite. cut emerald for the visor. muahaha. no one but lord kung fu could afford it.

lol, seriously how the HELL do you break a 1/48 by transforming correctly and 'regulary'.

1/60 SUX for transforming, floppy heap of CRAP.

Being a mega fan of Gerwalk, the 1/60 SUX even more for posing, bleh and bleh!

Don't get me started on Battroid... blehness! i HATE the legs on the 1/60.

and another thing! .. muhh mhhrr! hmmrrrrrrrr! HRRRHHHEHYHH!! (gagged by eccentric 1/60'rs)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Speaking of transforming it correctly and regularly I wonder who's going to participate in the 1/48 VF-1 contest at MW Con.

It should be VERY interesting to say the least.

When you put the Fast packs on the 1/48 it weighs it down a little. If it falls off desk and say lands headfirst onto a hard surface like non-carpeted floor, then you might snap a head laser or something off.

I'm of the belief that lighter can sometimes mean more durable since the crushing weight won't put as much pressure on impact. Depends on what kind of abuse (wear and tear, falling over from a great height, rough handling) you are talking about.

For me the konig monster is scary because of pegs. The vf-1 is scary more because of weight on the backpack hinge (taking off the FP is scarier than putting them on) and fear of it falling over when wearing the FP in bot mode. (eg you shake it and the thing might fall backwards of something)

Actually, compared to many other toys with similar price range out there, all Yamato toys are the scariest. And if ya observe from this pov, Yamato's 1st releases are ALWAYS plagued with problems however minor (and they usually aren't minor), and then there's the after-sale-service... BY THE CUSTOMERS! Look around the threads here you'll come across some members providing custom stickers, resin parts, custom hands, talks about self-fixes, talks about seeing the shrink, their fees, suicides, murders...

Very seldom will you find a company with CONSTANT product problems with repeat business!

And then you'll notice that this whole Yamato ballyhoo ain't so bad! If ya notice the mini-industry that it spawned as a direct result of its ineptitude, ya get a small group or smart, enterprising customizers making small profits to feed their future Yamato fixes! Win-Win! Bandai, Takara can only DREAM of having a sub-industry like that.

In the end this all became evidents that point to one ultimate conclusion - Yamato's stuff are beayootifully designed, stupidly made, exhorbitant pieces of crap.

The 1/48 VFs despite its winning qualities and forgivable transgressions, underwhelming certain collectors is an understatement. It's not because they know less or some of you knew better - it's just there are so many toys out there that is less problematic. Ya'll gotta wake up. Period.

Edited by Beware of Blast

The 1/48 VFs despite its winning qualities and forgivable transgressions, underwhelming certain collectors is an understatement. It's not because they know less or some of you knew better - it's just there are so many toys out there that is less problematic. Ya'll gotta wake up. Period.

Its not so much that macross fans don't know this, its more that as of this moment yamato's the only game in town. I'd jump ship the moment Aoshima or CMS offered a better alternative. But alas, that day has yet to come and I do love my valks.

Its not so much that macross fans don't know this, its more that as of this moment yamato's the only game in town. I'd jump ship the moment Aoshima or CMS offered a better alternative. But alas, that day has yet to come and I do love my valks.

and plenty of companies out there produce worse products than yamato, so really, what's the point? Everyone makes a decision in their own head of cost versus perceived value. for many of us, we are satisfied... dare I even say PLEASED with our purchases. I can understand and appreciate that some out there may not, for whatever reasons and good for you all, but in the end, it's a personal choice.

Wow, I'm beginning to think Yamato raped Beware of Blast's sister or something. You guys thought I was agro with my constant criticism of the 1/60... that guy sounds like he's only access to a fertilizer plant away from turning Yamato into a crater.

Toys toys toys, I like toys.... and beer.

Onto other things, the 1/48 is sturdy as an ox, except for the backpack, the little frilly bits behind the head that hold the back pack down or poke out like a fin, and the hips... but as soon as your aware of any of that the thing is fine. I don't think my car should be indestructible, seems silly I should expect that from my toys.

i love my 1/48's. i don't play with my toys (much) but i do transform at least one a day to keep my display fresh (and because if i didn't want to transform them, i would have bought models). with the exception of the vf-0a's cracked shoulders (which i repaired with heaps of superglue), all of my other yamato toys have been problem free (though some required very minor mods). my monster, yf-21 and all of the 1/48's are amazing. the only reason i bought 1/60's was for the super o and elint (which i will gladly trade in if a 1/48 version ever comes out). the 1/60's look great in fighter & gerwalk (cruiser style), but i get no enjoyment out of the transformation or playing with them as they are too finicky. i think yamato is doing a fine job and expect them to get nothing but better as time goes on. i think the sub-industry yamato and the macross franchise has spawned is part of what makes this such a fun hobby. endless ideas and parts availability enable you to make your toys more individualized as well as keep them from getting stale. i don't mind paying good money for a product that i will ultimately be happy with, even if it requires an extra 10 or 20 dollars in "fan parts" to make it the best it can be. when i look at my hikaru with fp's, i don't feel contempt for yamato that i had to pop some magnets inside to keep the arms up, i feel a sense of accomplishment that i had a part in making the toy what it is. yamato's macross toys surpass bandai, takatoku, toynami and anyone else's toys stylistically and as long as you are easy on them, durability is (almost) a non-issue. the cost is justified (in my opinion). if you sweat about spending $150 on a toy, chances are that $150 could be used for something more worthwhile in your life (savings accounts or ira's). if you're nervous about a first release, wait to buy it. i had fair warning on all of my toys in every regard simply because i spent countless hours reading and researching before purchasing (thanks to graham, mw forums and jenius <3)....and i'm spent.

The 1/48 are not that problematic though for me. They are durable enough to be easy to pose, and how heavy and weighty something is doesn't factor into how good quality something is. (that is just my own opinion as I don't consider myself a collector of toys, just a fan of macross and occassional transformer toys)

One of the examples of this is how I prefer the alternators (cheaper plastic versions of the binaltech) transformer toys to the heavier and more expensive-feeling BinalTechs. If I were a collector maybe I can apreciate the more expensive feel of the toy. But as person who likes to hold the thing and transform it without damaging it (paint chips) I would much prefer the cheaper plastic alt because they are going to be less problematic in the long run. If I drop the alt on the ground it would just plop safely without much impact.

Now about price, I think we as fans all eat the cost of the toy because as others have mentioned it is the only game in town. It's still the best vf-1 toy out there for now. Once other companies can compete, then prices might start to drop. As it is though, companies like bandai are probably too busy milking their gundam stuff to care much about macross.

Until something comes around to beat the 1/48...

Now many times you will see a person complain: it feels cheap cuz its so light. Being light isn't a problem for me so much as how it holds together and durability. Not all light toys are automatically "easy to break". You can have a cheap feeling toy be very sturdy. (see the bandai macross 7 toys. Nothing will break these) But so what? These look like little kids toys which are not aiming to be close to a model in sculpt where the finer bits have to included for people who want tiny details. I think the 1/48 combine lightness of the toy with detail, with being "practical to transform" to be its strong points. I don't want to transform my toy and every time a piece of paint scrapes off. It's annoying. Who cares how heavy it is?

As for the breaking of first releases and inability to get replacement parts(due to HG issue): Totally agree with you. I hate how it keeps happening, but lucky for me I don't preorder things. I don't believe in it. If you are a collector of other toys and feel justified in your disapointment and feel ripped off, fair enough. But as a fan of macross, we are justified in saying that this is the best vf-1 out there so far. (regardless of whether we are being price gouged or not, or whether we know it)

I actually don't see what is so great about the chunky munky but people can't stop loving those. Maybe the 1/48 fan is like the next chunky munky? Because it is the only thing people have to go by, we don't see how it could be improved enough to say anything bad about it.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The day I picked up my first 1/60 at a local toy store (a non FP Roy), I looked at the box of a 1/48 on a shelf (also a Roy), and said to myself: "Meh! Another VF-1, bigger and morte expensive for the hardcore VF-1 fan, No way I'm falling for that one".

I was happy with my 1/60 the firts day despite the non perfect transformation, but it was getting more and more annoying each passing day. Specially the hip joint part.

Then I started to lurk around here and learn about the features of the 1/48's. Ask my girlfriend: I just couldn't take my eyes off those pics for days. She was scared $#!7less :lol:

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

The 1/48 has the feel and look of a plastic toy and is lighter than a 1/60 even though it's bigger. The fact that the legs don't fall off when you handle it doesn't in my mind justify the rediculous price they sell for. Fortunately I got this one at a good price but I certainly won't be getting anymore.

Ok here's a quote from the original poster.

I'm not saying his opinion is not valid, (there is no need to go on a witchhunt) as what is important to him may not be important for the rest of us "blinded fanboys of the 1/48". Just saying that: even if we know there are better things from other toy makers out there, the 1/48 to us fullfills what we see as imortant in a transforming toy.

-durable enough to take some abuse.

-not so heavy that it goes limp over time. (the diecast legs of the 1/72 for example mean it crashes heavily to the floor)

-no paint chips everytime you transform the damn things

-posable (easy to hold an arm out fully extended holding the gun)

None of the criticisms like "feeling light" apply to me when I consider a toy. It might apply to you. But to me feeling light is a good thing. So long as the materials are strong. If the only reason you feel ripped off is because something feels light, then maybe you should stick to only diecast toys? Personally I would rather the money go to making the toy better in areas that matter, not in unecessarily adding weight for no reason.

I don't think I would ever buy a diecast 1/48 vf-1 (let's just say it happens one day) if they offered no improvement over the existing one other than being heavier. Yes of course toys should feel solid, (much more than a model) but beyond a certain limit it stops to matter once the weight starts to affect poses, or feels dangerous to handle due to stress. (the diecast fast packs which put extra weight on the hinge in battroid mode for example) In some cases the extra weight is only going to be a hindrance to it, and affect how you can display the toy. Too much weight in one area may mean you have to pose the robot mode in such a way that it doesn't topple backward. I have problems with the Qrau for example and that is all plastic. Admittedly, it is a mech which is design funny (lots of bulk at the back) but it just illustrates that weight is something that should be considered only when necessary or when it affects how you can display something.

If yamato put diecast in the legs of the Qrau I wonder if it would be as easy to topple backwards so easily like that? But better joints can solve this so I would hope they put more attention in that than just assuming that more weight somewhere else is better. Often you want to pose them with limbs out-stretched as if flying in space. In that instance more weight only adds stress.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Wow, I'm beginning to think Yamato raped Beware of Blast's sister or something. You guys thought I was agro with my constant criticism of the 1/60... that guy sounds like he's only access to a fertilizer plant away from turning Yamato into a crater.

Toys toys toys, I like toys.... and beer.

Onto other things, the 1/48 is sturdy as an ox, except for the backpack, the little frilly bits behind the head that hold the back pack down or poke out like a fin, and the hips... but as soon as your aware of any of that the thing is fine. I don't think my car should be indestructible, seems silly I should expect that from my toys.

Hey foolio! A car from Yamato would present erratic startups, engine dying off in the middle of a freeway, gear stalls when you accelerate, shock absorbers collapsing when you land from climbing a speed bump at 10mph. (taking from your analogy)

I ain't talking as though the damn things oughta be indestructible. It should fvcking do its job like most toys of the same price points thats all.

Btw, I AM trying to sell some of my Yamato stuff for truck full of cow manure (am not even asking for a fertilizer plant for it) - I'm sh!t outta luck.

Some of you have VERY low standards for quality. Ya bendover too much for Yamato. :lol:

And we all agree that the 1/48 is NOT plaged by these QC issues anymore and THAT is what this thread is about, so please don't use it as chance to spread you're anti Yamato rants. You had some bad experiences with Yamato's products, we get it. Do you really think you can convince me to stop buying their products just because YOU had a bad experience? All of my Yamato's are in perfect condition, inlcuding my VF-0A and VF-0S. The moment they all fall apart I'll contact you so we can b!tich about it to each other. (having said that, I do plan on getting the POM replacement parts just in case something does happen) You wanna rant about Yamato's QC? Please do it in the Yamato b!tching thread.

Yada, yada. This is thread is made because someone bought a 1/48 for the first time and is underwhelmed. What I find are gushers coming in to tell him otherwise. Don't blame me because I don't jump on the same bandwagon.

Edited by Beware of Blast

Yada, yada. This is thread is made because someone bought a 1/48 for the first time and is underwhelmed. What I find are gushers coming in to tell him otherwise. Don't blame me because I don't jump on the same bandwagon.

yes, many of us like one or the other. Not everyone has to have the same all encompasing hatred of all things yamato, though.

He's underwhelmed, as in not that impressed. He didn't state that he found anything wrong with it, like broken parts or poor QC.

I'm not bashing Yamato for broken parts, QC issues or any other thing for that matter. I am just not impressed with what I got for the money I had to pay.

I have other figures from Yamato that are very impressive that didn't cost anywhere near the price of the Valk.

Neither am I extolling the virtue's of the 1/60 Valks as they are far from perfect (as I did point out ;) ) but I feel that they are better value for money in the current market and provide a better coverage of the TV versions.