The All Things Video Games Thread!

That's all I've been playing until Star Wars comes out on the 16th. I'm going to try to get back to level 55 before SW:TFU comes out.

I'm excited about The Force Unleashed. Game looks awesome!

You guys are joking...right? :blink:

And Megaman 9 just keeps getting better, with the Blue Bomber pledging to eliminate the greatest evil in video games today!

Megaman's going to put an end to the brain-training genre?

Okay, seriously, my love of Megaman games is no secret. The only reason I haven't been chatting up Megaman 9 is because I just assume you guys already know that I'm going to buy it. Potentially for all three consoles.

Why would they be joking? I had zero interest in the game, but the demo was great. I wound up reserving and paying it off already.

Really? I thought the demo was pretty bad. Just not my cup of tea I guess. In fairness, I was on about 2 hours of sleep that day, so maybe I was missing some of the finer points in the demo.

Really? I thought the demo was pretty bad. Just not my cup of tea I guess. In fairness, I was on about 2 hours of sleep that day, so maybe I was missing some of the finer points in the demo.

I felt the same way. The gameplay just felt unpolished and the force throw controls made tossing troopers a chore...but mostly the QTE just killed it for me. Taking down a bid bad like at ATST should have been the highlight of the demo but it was just a chore.

I felt the same way. The gameplay just felt unpolished and the force throw controls made tossing troopers a chore...but mostly the QTE just killed it for me. Taking down a bid bad like at ATST should have been the highlight of the demo but it was just a chore.

What? It was still the highlight of the demo. Before you get the QTE, you have to beat on it first. Which I did by throwing Stormtroopers at it. And any game where you can throw Stormtroopers at an AT-ST is okay by me.

But yeah, even the best games aren't for everyone. I didn't care for Halo, GTA bores me, and I haven't enjoyed a Zelda since A Link to the Past.

Castle Crashers is fun though. If you have an Xbox 360, you should play it.

And before anyone accuses me of being a 360 fanboy, I'll point out that I'm still eagerly awaiting WipEout HD. And for the Wii... well, I'm sure something will come out for it. Someday. Right?

What? It was still the highlight of the demo. Before you get the QTE, you have to beat on it first. Which I did by throwing Stormtroopers at it. And any game where you can throw Stormtroopers at an AT-ST is okay by me.

Maybe because I'm not much into Star Wars probably, so tossing a stormtrooper or tossing a barrel, has about the same effect for me. I'll try it again this week to be sure, but I sure wasn't feeling it the first time.

I've actually started breaking the Wii out again. Mostly Mario Galaxies and No More Heroes, but I'll probably break out Wii Sports and the party crowd games when I have people over for an apartment warming party. I still need to set up the router and Wii so that I've got it online again, lot of stuff I want to nab from WiiWare and the Virtual Console. Once I've beaten those, I've still got to finish Metroid and Zelda. Couple revamps of previous generation games I never got around to, might pick them up, too. Haven't looked in a while, but pretty much seems there's been some great multiplayer games coming out for it, but not a whole lot else.

If this gaming streak keeps up, I'll probably start considering a 360 now that they've dropped to reasonable prices. Have to see if there's any significant differences between the PC and 360 versions of the new Bionic Commando. Hmmm, actually have to see if there's even a PC version of Dead Space coming. That looked pretty interesting.

I started playing MS Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield recently (check out some videos here: http://insomnia.ac/japan/the_dome_screen/ ) and I'm starting to get hooked.

It's expensive as hell... 500yen for two games, although the impressive presentation kind of justifies it. The game itself is a pretty simple game, but you accumulate points and unlock new mobile suits and new armor so it's enough to keep people coming back to it, I guess. Over a year old and still regularly played, it isn't uncommon to see people waiting to play it... so I guess it's been a pretty decent success.

When I was in Akiba there was a 3 hr wait to play it. I was pissed that I didn't get the chance.

To be fair, many game sites are well-known for giving numerical scores that have more to do with how big the game's name is than actual quality.

which is why I go to metacritic and I can see all the major reviews plus user reviews. Veperia got an 80 on critic reviews and 9./10 from users.

Lost odyssey fair a little worse, most reviewers liked it and those that didn't usually thought that way because they didn't like traditional JRPG gameplay... they wanted "innovation". But users gave it an 8.4 so again, not a bad game.

Neither are great games sure, but they're supposed to be decent. Anyways, If Duke is going to say there are better JRPGs out there to play but can't name any, then, imo, he's just being snarky.

which is why I go to metacritic and I can see all the major reviews plus user reviews. Veperia got an 80 on critic reviews and 9./10 from users.

Lost odyssey fair a little worse, most reviewers liked it and those that didn't usually thought that way because they didn't like traditional JRPG gameplay... they wanted "innovation". But users gave it an 8.4 so again, not a bad game.

Neither are great games sure, but they're supposed to be decent. Anyways, If Duke is going to say there are better JRPGs out there to play but can't name any, then, imo, he's just being snarky.

Metal Saga on the PS2 is pretty good.

So was Radiata Stories.

I admit to being more han a little behind on RPGs. I've got a small pile I bought and never started in on, or got distracted from fairly early(I'll come back to you some day, Valk Profile 2!) .

Valk Profile 2 has possibly the best final boss music of all time, FYI. Also one of the hardest/longest final bosses in a long time. How far along are you? Story keeps getting better as it goes on. Did you play the first? The further you get, the more you'll get out of it having played the first, ESPECIALLY if you got the A ending.

Metal Saga on the PS2 is pretty good.

So was Radiata Stories.

I admit to being more han a little behind on RPGs. I've got a small pile I bought and never started in on, or got distracted from fairly early(I'll come back to you some day, Valk Profile 2!) .

Well, looking for more current titles, I don't have a PS2 or an xbox, so i need current gen titles.

Also one of the hardest/longest final bosses in a long time.

How long? Lucifer in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne was so ridiculously hard that I seriously thought I wouldn't beat him even with levels almost in the 80's. I did eventually beat him, over two hours after I started fighting him. Not joking... I started around 4:00, thinking I had plenty of time. I had to pause to eat dinner with the wife, then wail on him for another hour after dinner.

Valk Profile 2 has possibly the best final boss music of all time, FYI. Also one of the hardest/longest final bosses in a long time. How far along are you? Story keeps getting better as it goes on. Did you play the first? The further you get, the more you'll get out of it having played the first, ESPECIALLY if you got the A ending.

Fairly early on.

And I was one of the people that got VP1 while it was still available new. Never got the A ending, though.

My A playthrough is mostly done, but not finished. PS1 basically died. It randomly reboots, and being totally unpredictable just makes it incredibly infuriating.

So I pretty much have to play on the PS2, which I've heard exacerbates VP1's crash issues. I don't know if it's actually true(Althena knows gamers make up enough crap about these things), but the last time I tried to play, it crashed three times in a row. That turned me off picking it back up pretty fast.

PS3 ... MIGHT run PS2 titles?

And I think you can count the number of JRPGs for the XBox on one hand anyways. :p

Uhm, not really, 360 has all the current JRPGs that have been released in the US., Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon. Those are 360 exlcusives, Sonata and FF (what the hell are they on now?) are both on the 360 and PS3.

I think right now, there are more RPG's and JRPG's for the 360 by far compared to PS3.

And I was cheap, my PS3 can't play PS2 games... as I didn't own any PS2 games, my need for this feature was nonexistent.

VP1 runs better on my PS2 than it did on my PSX, and my PSX was as well-running as anything I've ever owned. But VP1 was the one and only game that could make it have issues. If you've played it once normally, and are now going for an A---it is WELL worth it. It's not the "A ending", it's really the "A second half of the game". Chapter 4 is where it really changes. Unless you are one of those people who live by the FAQ, and "played 99% of the game as "A", but made an extra save and went and got the B ending and said it wasn't that different". That doesn't work, you then missed out on the B "second half of the game". So many people miss this. The A and B are completely different for the entire second half of the game. You can't "cheat" and see both in a single play through---you may see both ENDINGS, but you'll miss the STORY of one. IMHO, seeing a totally normal "B" game and ending, then going through and seeing an A game and ending, is the greatest replay, and "alternate story/ending" in the history of all video games. Nothing else comes close. (I'm a huge VP fan BTW, only Xenogears outranks it)

IMHO, 95% of "PSX on PS2" issues are solved by simply running the game "normal" and not with fast-loading. (texture resampling always works and is always better, so always use it except on purely sprite-based games like Megaman X4/5/6 and VP)---but fast-loading is SLOWER half the time, and screws things up the other half)

Who here has any thoughts on Too Human? I felt it was an ambitious game that tried something new, mainly the control scheme. From what I've seen, many aren't willing to forgive this originality and proclaim that it's such a terrible game. I'll admit, it isn't the greatest out there, but there are many that are far worse. I also felt that its setting (Norse Sci-Fi, gotta love it B)) ) and occasional trope-subverting more than made up for any difficulties I may have had with the new system.

Your thoughts?

now you're just being snarky, they both got solid 8's from most review sites. ^_^

Which is a fairly average score. Good games routinely get around 9+, 8 and under are generally average to poor.

One site's reviewer can be genre biased, though, its best to cross reference.

While we are on the subject of reviews, it should be noted that genre games are often critic proof. For instance, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI just came out for PC last week. Now, I haven't played it yet, but I do believe this game got a sub 7 review on the game sites. Fact is, I don't think any of the Koei historical simulation games ever do well, and I've been playing them for something like 20 years. But Koei keeps putting them out because there is a loyal and dedicated fanbase that loves them, including myself and my best friend. How can I expect a game journalist, who is usually playing Halo or GTA, to get this type of game?