The Gurren Lagann Thread.

Well Graham, if you really feel like having fun and getting fired up watching a show, then check it out. I'm pretty critical of shows and I thought the designs looked like S--t (note capital S) when I saw still frames of the show. Then I read about the show and it sounded okay (only 5 or so episodes were out). Then I forgot about it and saw a few posts about how great it was and decided to check it out (20ish episodes out). I watched all 20 or so in a 4 day period b/c it was that good that I had to keep watching and by the time I got to the last episode that was out, the fansub groups had just released the next episode. Now I'm hooked and want to see this show ASAP every week. It ROCKS! Even if you watch the first episode and don't like it, watch a few more, at least up until you see the character named Viral to make the judgement call on the show (I was hooked after the first episode).

Cathedral Terra will definitely get a robot mode and I'm hoping for toy versions of both modes b/c it rocks (and Arc-Gurren-Lagann too)! If not, I'm hoping a fan will make papercraft versions b/c those ships/bots are awesome. Heck, I may even have to try my hand at it!

LOL! Yoko still as fanservicey as evar. Where's Rossiu? I need to know if he's the guy in ep 1.

Well let just say that Rossiu was ambushed by something that came out from space-time rift :rolleyes: I won't spoil it any further.

I just played 'catch-up' (watched 14 episodes straight to #22). I must say, I'm kind of disappointed with episodes 13-22. Things sort of went south after episode 12 in my opinion. I liked the twist that Season 2 brought...then Rossiu pulled the stunt he did with Simon and that really irked me. His decision about Simon doesn't make any logical sense to me at all...with his supposed 'train of thought' (if you will) in regards to the events leading to the moon. ...But yea...after episode 12 I have mixed feelings about the show. Anyone else sort of feel the same way? I'd go more into detail (nitpick) but I don't want to spoil it for those who have yet to watch the show. I hope the show ends with a bang at least.

Edited by Oihan

The rossiu part is episode 18/19 i believe and its not season 2...... same season. XD

I dunno....the only thing i felt that "went south" was after "the death" , Yoko doesn't play much role any more and that irks me. :(

I'm very much a fan of the post episode 12 episodes. Ya, there's more story and plot going on, less of the over the top action and battling, but it really fits the overall story. It helps that I dig the story they're telling, too. As for Rossiu's actions not making sense...well, I've seen very similar things happen in real life pretty much constantly, and given Rossiu's upbringing and the sort of person he is, it really makes sense to me. Not saying I agree with it, but I can see how he arrives at his conclusions and what motivates his actions. He's not a bad guy, really, he's just trying to minimize the damage and has no faith in their chances of victory beyond that.

Simply put.....Rossiu is in the wrong anime. :lol:

His actions would probably be lauded in another anime like Death Note.....where logic, quick thinking and ruthlessness prevails. In Gurren Lagann where hot blood prevails.....Rossiu is made out to be the unbeliever and thus the bad guy. :(

Simply put.....Rossiu is in the wrong anime. :lol:

His actions would probably be lauded in another anime like Death Note.....where logic, quick thinking and ruthlessness prevails. In Gurren Lagann where hot blood prevails.....Rossiu is made out to be the unbeliever and thus the bad guy. :(

he's the bad guy becuase he withholds vital information and is willing to sell out his comrades to further his own political goals. He's a spineless shark.

I just played 'catch-up' (watched 14 episodes straight to #22). I must say, I'm kind of disappointed with episodes 13-22. Things sort of went south after episode 12 in my opinion. I liked the twist that Season 2 brought...then Rossiu pulled the stunt he did with Simon and that really irked me. His decision about Simon doesn't make any logical sense to me at all...with his supposed 'train of thought' (if you will) in regards to the events leading to the moon. ...But yea...after episode 12 I have mixed feelings about the show. Anyone else sort of feel the same way? I'd go more into detail (nitpick) but I don't want to spoil it for those who have yet to watch the show. I hope the show ends with a bang at least.

I don't know. At first I felt the same thing about Rossiu's rebellion, and I didn't get where the story was going. I think at the end of episode 21 it was made apparent that the story revolves around the power of emotion over logic, and that Rossiu would ultimately fail. That dynamic was never clear until that point, and it casts episodes 13-22 in a completely new light, one that I think plays alot better.

Has anyone seen any good wallpapers for this show?

Can't find much at all on Gainax's own site. :(

Try looking at the Gurren Lagann forum at animesuki, they have plenty of wallpapers, including lots of Yoko fanservice B))

The rossiu part is episode 18/19 i believe and its not season 2...... same season. XD

I dunno....the only thing i felt that "went south" was after "the death" , Yoko doesn't play much role any more and that irks me. :(

Ah, my bad. I saw a new OP so I figured that was the start of the new season.

As for Rossiu's actions. (possible spoilers)

If the world was coming to an end...what good would it do to execute someone when the whole world is going to end! The guy would die anyway with the rest of us. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel any better about myself knowing the guy responsible for the end of the world is going to be executed for his actions. I mean come on...the end of the world is coming!!! At the time, the Gurren Squad was only doing what they thought was best, they didn't know any better. If I felt the guy saved us from the king so I could live on the surface once again, I wouldn't condemn him for his actions...I'd sure as hell hope he'd be able to save us again from the new threat if anything.

So again, Rossiu's actions don't make any logical sense to me in regards to what he did with Simon.

Well...I can't say that I don't like where the story is going in Gurren Lagann. I'm interested to see how things end. But with how things went down in those episodes...kind of just killed what made the show so enjoyable for me. I think episodes 13-22 could have been better scripted. I'm not saying I could have done a better job...just that they could have been better written.

(I need to stop editing this ^_^)

Edited by Oihan

If the world was coming to an end...what good would it do to execute someone when the whole world is going to end! The guy would die anyway with the rest of us. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel any better about myself knowing the guy responsible for the end of the world is going to be executed for his actions. I mean come on...the end of the world is coming!!! At the time, the Gurren Squad was only doing what they thought was best, they didn't know any better. If I felt the guy saved us from the king so I could live on the surface once again, I wouldn't condemn him for his actions...I'd sure as hell hope he'd be able to save us again from the new threat if anything.

So again, it doesn't make any logical sense to me to condemn Simon for what he did.

it would make sense if you were a spineless weasel, he's just a little man trying to be a big man, but doesn't have the balls to do the right thing. He just wants to be respected and have people look up to him, so he's more than willing to sacrifice his comrades and diminish their contributions so he can be the big shinning star.

So again, Rossiu's actions don't make any logical sense to me in regards to what he did with Simon.

I do not approve of Rossiu's actions either. But try thinking about it this way.

He's thinking like the normal logical politician. He never thought of "the world will end so we should all live or die together". He basically wanted everyone to keep the peace before it degenerates into an uncontrolable hate mob. Rossiu seemed to be well prepared for the impending apocalypse and has prepared for it. His plan: an exodus with the Arc Gurren along with key personell and to abandon earth. All his plans will be for naught if the angry mob is not satiated with a scape goat, which happened to be Simon who triggered the destruction in Kamina city and also the person closest to the betrayer, Nia. He needed to regain ppl's trust and make Simon the offender and not a part of the present government. If everyone rebelled against the government, what use is the Arc Gurren? Some shady people might just plunder it or rescue themselves leaving Rossiu and everyone stranded on earth.

So those were the motivations for his actions which seem logical enough.....though I can't understand why he can't just cover up the death penalty or something.

well, it's not that he just threw simon to the mob, it was the actions he took previously... keeping simon out of the loop of his draconian policies towards the rebels, his destruction of the original mechs, his willingness to use human bombs in order to ensure simon's cooperation. All these acts together show a picture of some one who is cold and calculating and completely amoral and self serving. My view of rossiu is not that he was willing to do anything to save humanity, but that he was willing to do anything to further his own agenda, and saving humanity (his way) was just one more tool in the belt.

well, it's not that he just threw simon to the mob, it was the actions he took previously... keeping simon out of the loop of his draconian policies towards the rebels, his destruction of the original mechs, his willingness to use human bombs in order to ensure simon's cooperation. All these acts together show a picture of some one who is cold and calculating and completely amoral and self serving. My view of rossiu is not that he was willing to do anything to save humanity, but that he was willing to do anything to further his own agenda, and saving humanity (his way) was just one more tool in the belt.

I just like to play devil's advocate....not that i completely disagree with you.

He kept Simon out of the loop simply because he knew Simon would be too idealistic and wouldn't approve of it. And to him and his supporters, it is a necessary evil to ensure how near they are to the apocalypse. I mean .....at least he never sent Grapals stomping on grounds above the underground colonies to control the population right?

Destruction of the original mechs was just because they were tools of Lord Genome and a symbol of oppression during his rule. The Grapals were supposed to be improved versions anyway....I dun think this made Rossiu any more bad a person than someone who takes in the new to replace the old.

Human bombs... another tool against Simon. His resolve is strong and he knows he can't fight Simon at equal terms.....so he has to resolve to "dirty methods" to keep Simon in check. And it worked because he knows Simon won't risk her life for his own sake and i'm sure Rossiu bet on that aspect of Simon.

I wouldn't put Rossiu's intentions in the light of evil though. I'm sure he wanted to do good....just that the means to the end were harsh and possibly ill-conceived. But hey if not for Rossiu, the Gurren-Dan would probably be boozing and misusing their powers in some way or other. There will be no Arc Gurren, no Lord Genome head in a jar, no Kamina City and no Grapal Squad. Poor guy has to take all the hate despite his sincere efforts to save humanity. :(

I don't think rossiu is evil, I think he is amoral. the problem with people like rossiu is they always have a perfectly justifiable reason for the selfish and hurtful actions they take. Their thinking, their motives, their conclusions are always the best.. they make decisions on behalf of other people, with or without their consent.

But hey...that's what politicians and world leaders do. XD

When people are not happy with their decisions, they just don't vote for them next election or if they're still in power after the next election, a coup d' etat follows. :lol:

Well...I can't say that I don't like where the story is going in Gurren Lagann. I'm interested to see how things end. But with how things went down in those episodes...kind of just killed what made the show so enjoyable for me. I think episodes 13-22 could have been better scripted. I'm not saying I could have done a better job...just that they could have been better written.

(I need to stop editing this ^_^)

To echo what some others touched on.

First lets be honest here Simon was a terrible administrator at the start. You can blame him for almost every single error prior to the exodus with Arc Gurren. His administration was quite honestly dysfunctional. Seriously people, would you put the barinbo twins as the people in charge of the census, one that quite possibly would seal the fate of humankind?

Its nice and all that he's the greatest pilot of the Gurren lagann, did that make him an effective leader that met the desires of the people? No, not even close. The people were going to lynch him for his ineptness. Rossiu had to do something, so he made a trial, and condemned him to death. You can say it was a stacked deck against him but then again he did appoint a barinbou to serve as his council, I mean if he's good enough to run a census for simon.... Then again if Rossiu didn't would that quell the uprising that Simon HIMSELF was the cause of?

And as Wolf X pointed out, the tools that Simon uses to defeat the Han-Rasen at the end of episode 22 are almost all the result of Rossiu's efforts. I'm not saying Rossiu was a saint, I think though that he isn't some evil megalomaniac like people made him out to be. He's a flawed character, and he's conflicted by what he has done and what he has to do. Its not as if he did this to make himself more powerful, rather he was trying to do the right thing.

well, rossiu didn't really do much.

the arc gurren was a converted ganmen that they dug up, so it would still have been there for simon to use.

the orginial ganmen would have been effective against the antispiral, in fact, earth would have had more defenses if all the ganmen from the earth weren't replaced with the few new mecha. Which Simon saved from being wiped out by the first antispiral attack. In a mecha that rossiu would have sent to the junkyard.

And Nia told simon everything that head in a jar told rossiu.

Also, without simon and the gurren lagaan, the arc gurren would have been a debris field. It wasn't rossiu's efforts that allowed simon to be victorious, it was clearly simon and the brigade that saved rossiu and all the other turncoats.

and rossiu never tried to quell the uprising. He never trusted the population or his friends to understand the situation. Like most elitists, he assumed only he was qualified to deal with the situation. He simply refused to give the population information, refused to treat them as human beings (the same his father did in the little theocratic hole he crawled out of ) and the population sucumbed to their fear and hysteria. And rossiu was all the more willing to sacrifice his friends in order to placate the crowd. For someone who is being held up as cool and rational, his actions are clearly driven by baser motivations. Fear, selfishness and arrogance.

you can argue that simon was an ineffective leader, and rightly so, that still doesn't give rossiu the moral right to lie to him, to enact oppressive policies behind simon's back and in simon's name. It was rossiu's aggressive and draconian policies towards outsiders that helped to breed the resentment against simon in the first place.

well, rossiu didn't really do much.

the arc gurren was a converted ganmen that they dug up, so it would still have been there for simon to use.

the orginial ganmen would have been effective against the antispiral, in fact, earth would have had more defenses if all the ganmen from the earth weren't replaced with the few new mecha. Which Simon saved from being wiped out by the first antispiral attack. In a mecha that rossiu would have sent to the junkyard.

And Nia told simon everything that head in a jar told rossiu.

Also, without simon and the gurren lagaan, the arc gurren would have been a debris field. It wasn't rossiu's efforts that allowed simon to be victorious, it was clearly simon and the brigade that saved rossiu and all the other turncoats.

and rossiu never tried to quell the uprising. He never trusted the population or his friends to understand the situation. Like most elitists, he assumed only he was qualified to deal with the situation. He simply refused to give the population information, refused to treat them as human beings (the same his father did in the little theocratic hole he crawled out of ) and the population sucumbed to their fear and hysteria. And rossiu was all the more willing to sacrifice his friends in order to placate the crowd. For someone who is being held up as cool and rational, his actions are clearly driven by baser motivations. Fear, selfishness and arrogance.

you can argue that simon was an ineffective leader, and rightly so, that still doesn't give rossiu the moral right to lie to him, to enact oppressive policies behind simon's back and in simon's name. It was rossiu's aggressive and draconian policies towards outsiders that helped to breed the resentment against simon in the first place.

Its highly unlikely they would have ever dug up the Arc Gurren if Rossiu hadn't put into place an alternate project to survive the moon's descent. And certainly without the head they would have never started the Arc gurren either, as Lord Genome's control is required to activate the ship.

Also I think you should see the episode 23 before you keep arguing, It goes alot farther to validate my points than yours, particularly given Simon's actions and the scenes of Rossiu after the trial. This wasn't a man who was acting amorally to further his own goals... rather he hated that he had make a choices he had to made. Thats not to say he wasn't elitist or isolated from others, which he was. But he was trying to do the right thing for others, not himself, which is very different from what you're claiming here.

Edited by Noyhauser

(I'm replying to multiple posts in my response here fyi...and so much for trying to keep it spoiler free)

So you'd condemn Simon to death because he's a poor leader with his administration and because he started a chain reaction that led to the apocalypse? That still doesn't make any sense as a means to calm the crowd down. The Gurren Squad was just doing what they thought was best when they killed the King. Hell, the Gurren Squad even had supporters to their cause...they had re-enforcements. So now the public finds that they need to place blame on the person who started it all? What a way to turn your back on someone when sh*t goes wrong...seriously. This is why the I have mixed feelings about the latter part of the show. I for one wouldn't feel more comfortable with the government knowing that they're going to condemn someone to death because of Simon's actions, which most seemed to have agreed with at the time. I'd feel more comfortable with the government if I knew they were solely focused at the problem at hand...the enemy. Would any of you feel more comfortable knowing the guy responsible for the end of the world is being put to death rather than the government putting all of their efforts against the enemy and the apocalypse? I still fail to see the logic in all of this.

Edited by Oihan

So most of the Rossiu haters were silenced this episode.

I still say mr 1s episode assistant is Rossiu...probably aged and has brought with him a fleet of ships to Simon along with the fleets of other spiral beings. Probably due to some dilation 10-20 years have passed for Rossiu whereas Simon was only 1 year gone from earth. Or maybe its he and Kinon's son. :p

So spiral power is all about sex and manly hotbloodedness? I knew this show had innuendos everywhere. :lol:

Does anyone think Viral despite being a beastman is able to procreate naturally due to Lord Genome's lil experiment?