Macross Live Action Movie

Toonz

Good god people, why are you so fixed on 2hrs movie?

Just use DYRL plus 30-45 mins of material from TV series so the plot make sense.

Just bite the bullet and make it a 3 hrs movie, make it epic like Titanic or Kong.

There is nothing wrong with a macross movie being of any length as long as it will attract more than already dedicated fans to watch it. That has to be the goal of a live action movie, or what is the point? The problem is that I don't think a movie could do the original series justice. DYRL was good I liked it a great deal, but if I had not previously seen the original series in one form or another it would have been much harder to follow the story. This is what any movie has to contend with. They can't put out a movie that only a few potential movie goers will be able to follow what is going on. As much as we would love to argue this point, we as fans are a minority in the larger population of people that go to the movies. This said, I think that if a live action movie was made, that Mac Plus because of it's shorter length and lack of a large number of important characters to develope properly, would be a better choice to start with. If it sells tickets and makes a good profit, than at that point I could see the possability for a prequel to do the original in a series of movies, or even a sequel.

This said, I think that if a live action movie was made, that Mac Plus because of it's shorter length and lack of a large number of important characters to develope properly, would be a better choice to start with. If it sells tickets and makes a good profit, than at that point I could see the possability for a prequel to do the original in a series of movies, or even a sequel.

Very good point.

Since the OVA series was redone as a well paced movie and the fact that the story has always been better received here than at home.

Good call sir... :D

Very good point.

Since the OVA series was redone as a well paced movie and the fact that the story has always been better received here than at home.

Good call sir... :D

Thanks! But I was not the first to mention this.

valk1j Apr 3 2007, 05:13 PM Post #16

I've always felt that a live action Macross Plus could be done. There is not a lot of characters to develop, not many CGI models to make, and no large scale combat to show. Macross Plus would cost less to make then the new Transformers film. A 2 1/2 hour film could easily tell the story and leave in all the elements from the OVA and movie. If it was successful then make SDF Macross, as a trilogy ala LOTR. The producers could bridge off the armistice ceremony from Macross Plus, and say here is the story of what that was about, and how we got to this point.

TheLoneWolf Posted Today, 03:37 PM

They already DID a live-action Macross Plus movie, it's called "Stealth"

That is just wrong! Stealth was a very stupid movie with more plot holes than a sive! A good joke though, I will give you that. :lol:

Edited by wldr

I'd love to see a Live action movie set in the DYRL setting telling the story of what happened before the animated movie begins. Something a bit like that DYRL game for PSX and Sega Sturn.

I'd love to see a Live action movie set in the DYRL setting telling the story of what happened before the animated movie begins. Something a bit like that DYRL game for PSX and Sega Sturn.

I love the idea, but could it be done in a movie format that would have an ending that would be acceptable to the non-macross initiated movie goer? That is the biggest problem with doing, at least the first try, in the space war I era. There is so much material and so many characters to work with, that I don't think any movie that wasn't about 8 hours long or longer could get it done without pissing off every true fan out there for leaving out their favorite part of the story. I can hear the complaining now. "But that was the best scene in the whole show and they skipped the whole thing! :( " If someone has an idea on how this type of thing could be avoided and still make the film, I would love to hear it. <_<

I love the idea, but could it be done in a movie format that would have an ending that would be acceptable to the non-macross initiated movie goer? That is the biggest problem with doing, at least the first try, in the space war I era. There is so much material and so many characters to work with, that I don't think any movie that wasn't about 8 hours long or longer could get it done without pissing off every true fan out there for leaving out their favorite part of the story. I can hear the complaining now. "But that was the best scene in the whole show and they skipped the whole thing! :( " If someone has an idea on how this type of thing could be avoided and still make the film, I would love to hear it. <_<

I don't think it's something that can be avoided, like the upcoming TF movie, fans will either love it or hate with no middle ground.

I think it would be difficult to find people for playing the macross characters.

I mean it would be difficult for me to see a physical incarnation of hickaru, max or roy.

I think it will be easier to make an live action movie with macross zero (because it is the begin of the macross saga) or macross plus (because you don't need to know all the macross chronology to understand the mac+ story) than a Dyrl or sdfm adaptation (2 hours will be too short for resuming all the macross atmosphere and the characters complexity).

481504]

I think it would be difficult to find people for playing the macross characters.

I mean it would be difficult for me to see a physical incarnation of hickaru, max or roy.

I think it will be easier to make an live action movie with macross zero (because it is the begin of the macross saga) or macross plus (because you don't need to know all the macross chronology to understand the mac+ story) than a Dyrl or sdfm adaptation (2 hours will be too short for resuming all the macross atmosphere and the characters complexity).

True enough, both Mac Zero and Plus would be easier for the non-initiated to grasp the concepts of variable fighters and character conflicts as opposed to the grand idea of Space War 1.

Not to mention the themes are still currently being explored in Western cinema.

Both have variable fighters duking it out in a planetary atmosphere which is always great eye candy and the stories are not directly tied to the grander themes of the Macross franchise, such as the space war, the reconstruction, and the emigration fleets, etc...

Edited by Zinjo

Fundamentally, I think the problem is that... we don't need a live action Macross movie.

Thank you!

What would a live action movie give us that an animated movie/series couldn't? Nothing.

Who wants to see some wanker like The Rock, or Christian Bale, or Hugh Jackman portraying our favorite characters? Not me.

I actually wish more major box office movies were animated instead of live action.

Some things just don't translate.

I'd take another Macross mini-series over a live action movie any day.

Thank you!

What would a live action movie give us that an animated movie/series couldn't?

A more life like viewing experience.

That's the whole point about live-action features and the reason why Spider-man, Superman, Batman, Transformers, etc. being made.

A more life like viewing experience.

That's the whole point about live-action features and the reason why Spider-man, Superman, Batman, Transformers, etc. being made.

But my point is that things don't always translate from an animated world to a live action world.

Exhibit A

IPB Image

Very good.

Exhibit B

IPB Image

Very bad!

I can't imagine a Macross live action movie turning into anything other than a disposable compromised popcorn flick no better than Stealth or Wing Commander. "Life like" does not equal better.

Even though Japanese cinema is fairly well-known for the low production values, couldn't the Japanese Air Self Defense Force be tapped to help with a Macross movie?--It seems like they have nothing better to do, most of the time, than help companies make video games and produce their own JWings fanboy magazine. :wacko:

But seriously: I don't think that a Macross movie, using ONLY JASDF fighters, would be a truly bad thing. Sure, the GERWALK and Battroid modes would have to be eliminated, but that doesn't necessarily affect how a well-written story would proceed, and more importantly, would get rid of any chances to totally ruin the VF-series with horrible CG-animation blends.

I'm kinda thinking "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within," here--not in the terms of CG, but in that it's a relative to the existing series while not interfering in any way. Keep the Protoculture and the Meltrandi ace pilots, but I'd rather have a good live action movie that doesn't overextend its abilities than a horrific mess that tries too hard.

I hope that, if a Macross movie is ever made, they'd respect Kawamori's transformation procedure for the Valkyries and not go with the Transformers movie effect... have you seen the trailer?

In Transformers, parts start to move, then you can't tell what's happening and poof, a "robot" appears. I guess those kinds of transformations save a lot of trouble for the guys at ILM, but for me that's cheating...

Edited by GGemini

But seriously: I don't think that a Macross movie, using ONLY JASDF fighters, would be a truly bad thing. Sure, the GERWALK and Battroid modes would have to be eliminated, but that doesn't necessarily affect how a well-written story would proceed, and more importantly, would get rid of any chances to totally ruin the VF-series with horrible CG-animation blends.

<_<

Kinda defeats the purpose of making a Macross movie when the signature feature is missing.

Why not just make a sci-fi Top Gun?

"Life like" does not equal better.

True of course, but then again quality is never guaranteed. Wether it's animated or live-action.

Then again quality - or better, entertainment value - isn't decided by faithfulness to the source material alone.

Some parts simply translate better than others, but doesn't rule out a live-action adaptation being leading to an enjoyable viewing experience.

An adaptation can be for the worse, or for the better.

I feel the potential reward is worth the risk, because IMHO it's readily adaptable if not following the previous incarnations by the page.

I hope that, ifIn Transformers, parts start to move, then you can't tell what's happening and poof, a "robot" appears. I guess those kinds of transformations save a lot of trouble for the guys at ILM, but for me that's cheating...

Uh.. they're actually made that complex to dispense with (obvious) cheating...

The Transformers, taste nothwithstanding, are made to be visually impressive. Thus the relatively straightforward transformation schemes are dispensed with, which also helps giving the bots enough articulation and proportional freedom.

I reckon a Macross adaptation would actually be served better by adhering to the less complex (and less organic looking) transformations as per the original VF designs.

For one, it's about human designed and built mechas, and not sentient alien death machines.

<_<

Kinda defeats the purpose of making a Macross movie when the signature feature is missing.

Why not just make a sci-fi Top Gun?

I would tend to agree with that sentament. If you skip the variable in the variable fighters, than what is the point. I mean Macross is kind of based around the VF's, and they certainly won't be VF's anymore if you skip the Gerwalk and Battroid modes. That would turn them into nothing more than just another style of fighter plane, which would take away part of what would make a Macross film special. If that happened, it would ruin it for everyone who knows what it should have been, which of course would mean all of us here!

Vic Mancini Posted Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Thank you!

What would a live action movie give us that an animated movie/series couldn't? Nothing.

Who wants to see some wanker like The Rock, or Christian Bale, or Hugh Jackman portraying our favorite characters? Not me.

I actually wish more major box office movies were animated instead of live action.

Some things just don't translate.

I'd take another Macross mini-series over a live action movie any day.

Granted! I think the point of making a live action film is not to give us that love anime something better, but to give people with a more limited vision that generally won't watch an animated production, a version of something they have never seen that is better than a lot of the crap they have been seeing on the big screen. A live action film is an opportunity to draw in a larger audience. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't see a problem with that. Some hard core fans may not want to see Macross as a live action film, but so what. Nothing is ever liked by everyone, there are a fair number of fans that don't like some of the animated macross, can we say Mac7 and Mac2 everyone. :rolleyes:

<_< Why not just make a sci-fi Top Gun?

Why not indeed. :huh: I know it's easy for we who know and love the ins-and-outs of the Macross universe, but well-photographed dogfighting action and a well-written story, for my money, are more important to Macross than a battroid could ever be. Sure, it would be difficult to make the whole "Battroid mode is needed to combat a thirty-foot-tall Zentraedi" connection, but that could be conceded simply by the reasoning that most Hollywood-made adaptions of the past could not fathom: It's better to have a good movie than a 100% faithful adaptation.

Whatever's the case, I'm just worried that the CG would be terrible and/or the directors/producers would place so much value upon finally having a live-action Valkyrie that they'd ignore the potential that Macross has in other departments--which is to say, what has always made the series stand apart from other "mainly mecha with characters added-in" stories. Perhaps if the battroid/GERWALK was kept to a bare minimum, like two or three scenes? ^_^

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would not be interested in a live action Macross movie if it excluded the transforming VF's. Of course, I wouldn't even be interested in an animated production of Macross if it did not feature transforming VFs. For my money, Macross = transforming VFs. That's what drew me into the show as a child and that is what has held my interest in the following years and new series. Sure, most of the Macross series' have good stories, but there are already TONS of other movies and animes out there with good stories. Just my 2 cents.

• 7 years later...

HI !

Has anyone seen concept or design art, from the proposed macross live action move.

The one i believe,they were calling macross : final outpost : earth ??

Never made it to pre-production. Any work that was done is likely in a box in someone's storage shed/attic/closet.

So, I'm going to admit I didn't read this thread from the beginning, but here's my thoughts.

Why don't they do a completely new story, use some established mecha, maybe set, say, between SDFM and M+, with completely new characters. Make a new production that way they don't have to try and cram 36 episodes of content into 2-3 hours, and they can have a bit of license to do their own thing with the story?

In other words, a stand alone production within the franchise?

Why don't they do a completely new story, use some established mecha, maybe set, say, between SDFM and M+, with completely new characters. Make a new production that way they don't have to try and cram 36 episodes of content into 2-3 hours, and they can have a bit of license to do their own thing with the story?

In other words, a stand alone production within the franchise?

It was a new, standalone story. And it was suppose to be set in 2031. But as I said, it never made it to pre-production.

I have very very low expectations for this movie, if it gets made at all even though it is Sony that have taken up the licence for it. They're known to be quite stubborn and bloody minded with their acquired rights. Granted though that's more with things that have made them money, or know it would, and they had only just got this licence.

Still I'm not expecting much even if it is made.

Why?

"G-Saviour"

Macross won't be a part of any RT movie so long as HG owns any part of Macross. BW won't allow it and so Sony is stuck with the Agrama familty and it's minions until they are bought out. I suspect this will be just another studio option that will evaporate in a few years when Sony realizes that they can't do Macross without Big West and Big West won't have anything to do with HG.

The only way Sony can do that is to buy all the HG owned Macross properties and you can bet Agrama will want a fortune for it.

Edited by Zinjo