which is the better mode?

Alain

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what you can do:

ALL 1/48th in Robot mode. Get yourself some 1/60th and have them in plane and/or gerwalk mode with a stand if possible.

However, it is also very nice to have the 1/48th in plane mode WITH the FPs and the stand!!! Depends on space. Also, as some would suggest, ALTERNATE. I alternated everything so much i finaly got one that i really like and am keeping till i feel it needs to be changed again.

Good Luck

All i can say is that the 1/48 has the best 3 modes i have seen out of anything else that is available IMO :D:):wub:

I know it's tantamount to blasphemy round these parts, but I still maintain that the Toynami MPC (although unbearably hideous in fighter and battroid) has the best Gerwalk mode down by far. The A-stance is solid and dynamic.

IPB Image

I consider blasphemy is the price i payed for them and especially if they have crappy QC :o:angry::lol:

Edited by altermodes

The GERWALK is a retarded looking mech if you think of it having to fight in that mode, but when you think about how it is used in the anime it makes so much sense:

When a fighter plane is coming in for a landing where there is no where to land, it needs to hover with feet pointed flat on a surface and come to a gradual stop first, before then turning into a battroid.

Although newer macross shows have the transformation happen very quickly, I think of the gerwalk mode as being the mode required to first get the machine to a safe stop before turning into bot mode. I don't imagine a fighter going at high speeds then suddenly transforming into a robot and then falling to the ground violently. Instead i think of the gerwalk as the safe intermediate mode necessary to get to bot mode first.

It all happens in the episode when roy first transforms his fighter in SDF macross in front of hikaru and it is done slowly and gradually for us to see. Or when hikaru is crash landing to earth in the trainer and you see the feet of the gerwalk mode first, and then after a time when it crashes into stuff, turns into a bot.

It just reinforces the idea that this is a necessary mode as opposed to a half-assed mode. Yeah it could fight in gerwalk mode, but I can't imagine it would be more useful than battroid mode apart from having the backpack pointed behind you to travel faster. The arms hanging off the sides just look too awkward to me. (gluag gets away with it because it has tall legs and massive feet so a spread stance would provide stability)

I think the main issue people have with it is how the arms just kinda dangle at the sides which makes it look clumsy. But only after you see the anime, do you understand how useful it can be having it. Without the gerwalk mode, you can't really "park" the vehicle in a place without a clear landing or land gracefully without bot mode tripping over its' own feet in bot mode due to going too fast. I don't think it was shown to be useful in mospeada since th fighter in that can just hover in that mode.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The GERWALK is a retarded looking mech if you think of it having to fight in that mode, but when you think about how it is used in the anime it makes so much sense:

When a fighter plane is coming in for a landing where there is no where to land, it needs to hover with feet pointed flat on a surface and come to a gradual stop first, before then turning into a battroid.

Although newer macross shows have the transformation happen very quickly, I think of the gerwalk mode as being the mode required to first get the machine to a safe stop before turning into bot mode. I don't imagine a fighter going at high speeds then suddenly transforming into a robot and then falling to the ground violently. Instead i think of the gerwalk as the safe intermediate mode necessary to get to bot mode first.

It all happens in the episode when roy first transforms his fighter in SDF macross in front of hikaru and it is done slowly and gradually for us to see. Or when hikaru is crash landing to earth in the trainer and you see the feet of the gerwalk mode first, and then after a time when it crashes into stuff, turns into a bot.

It just reinforces the idea that this is a necessary mode as opposed to a half-assed mode. Yeah it could fight in gerwalk mode, but I can't imagine it would be more useful than battroid mode apart from having the backpack pointed behind you to travel faster. The arms hanging off the sides just look too awkward to me. (gluag gets away with it because it has tall legs and massive feet so a spread stance would provide stability)

I think the main issue people have with it is how the arms just kinda dangle at the sides which makes it look clumsy. But only after you see the anime, do you understand how useful it can be having it. Without the gerwalk mode, you can't really "park" the vehicle in a place without a clear landing or land gracefully without bot mode tripping over its' own feet in bot mode due to going too fast. I don't think it was shown to be useful in mospeada since th fighter in that can just hover in that mode.

I always thought of GW as the mode for land battles where speed was still required. it allows low level controlled flying, faster stopping, more gun control etc etc. I think the parking and stuff is a big part of it as well, but its combat applications arent to be sneezed at either.

As for fav mode; it varies, but I largely like the fighter mode. I just got my first GBP armour, and while i like it a lot it isnt something i would necessarily go with all the time. Also I like the FAST packs ok, but the vf-1 just looks so much SLEEKER witout it. So fighter with no FP's is my fav for the most part.

there was some anime magic going on with the missles from fighter to gerwalk I would display my VF-1's like that too.

Wow, nice use of a toy to represent the transformation process ending up in a fighting pose. Nice DYRL helmets too.

Edited by isa_o

When Hikky & Misa were inspecting the "city" you see the VT floating... or do we? Is it possible the VT had some sought of a floatation devise with some sought of an ancor (LOL!) or did Hik just prod it on an unseen building roof while they went to play "houseys"? :lol::p :P

I'd like to think it could float, but meh :lol: Gerwalk is the best of both worlds, don't knock it, it's still very useful.

If you use your imagination the Gerwalk could be quite tricky to use in battle, especially in an urban setting.

Why haven't we done a Poll for the best mode yet??? Cruise Gerwalk mode all the way baby!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I do remember it floating, those VF's are pertty cool they can do just about anything, even a temporary tent for hikaru and misa.

That a nice pix isa_o, It's a coo way to pose your toys.

Well if memory serves right the VF-0D in Macross Zero could also float. May be it's just a feature on Valkyries.

Officially - 1 x 1J, 2 x 1S, 1 x (or 2?) 1A, 1 x VT and 1 x 1D. :edit: GAH the 1 x VF-4 as well. >_<

Man i can't remember what he flew at the very start of his training in the TV series.

What else? 2 x Fan Jets, 1 x Gladiator (correct or RT?) and uhh... LOL :lol:1 x MISA and possibly 1 x MINMAY.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Sweeeeet, floating Valks (slaps face) "What will they think of next?" :D

I'm glad i'm not the only one that believes they can float.

Slightly OT, but as long as a given body weighs less than the water it displaces, it will float like a duck (or a witch). Remember that the Valkyrie is a flyweight construct using advanced materials, and that it was designed to be 'airtight' for usage in space. It is not at all surprising that it would float.

Slightly OT, but as long as a given body weighs less than the water it displaces, it will float like a duck (or a witch). Remember that the Valkyrie is a flyweight construct using advanced materials, and that it was designed to be 'airtight' for usage in space. It is not at all surprising that it would float.

Nice, that explains everything. Thanks man :D

But could the jet engines still work after being flooded? :huh:

Considering the fact that they work in the vaccum of space, one could suppose they would work in water.

the body doesn't have to be airtight for space, only the cabin/cockpit. And vacuum safe and made safe for submerging is very different. Circuits and gears can be exposed in vacuum but would short and die in water. for that zero to work submerged, it had to be designed to work in that environment.