Toynami Masterpiece Alphas

Not sure which toy you're referring to. The Toynami Masterpiece VF-1 "Veritech" or the Toynami Masterpiece Alpha? I think the general consensus is that the MPC line is lack-luster in general, with the Alphas being moderately less crappy than the Veritechs. I have two of the MPC Veritechs (Vol 1 Rick Hunter and Vol 3 Roy Fokker), but have never taken them out of the packaging so I can't really comment on the quality personally. Speaking of packaging, both the Alphas and the Veritechs come in pretty snazzy packaging though

I don't see how I was an ass, but I've been warned that some people here were pretty anal, so I'm not surprised.

Thanks for the link Jenius, it's exactly what I was looking for! :)

Question : is there a reason why the Scott Bernard is more in demand than the others? Is it the blue or is it something else?

Edited by megatroptimus

We're anal because this is a MACROSS forum, so don't act haughty and expect people to immediately recognize the ROBOTECH designations for things, espeically when posted in our *Macross* toy sub-forum. You would have gotten a better response in the "other anime" forum, where Robotech toys are discussed, with their Robotech designations.

This is speculation on my part, but two reasons:

1. The Scott's were the first Alphas to be released, so they're probably getting harder to find.

2. The Beta: most figure it'll be released in blue (IF it's released).

And I'm not trying to be a jerk here or anything, but the "Toys" sub-forum is for Macross-related toys. All other toys (even the Robotech-branded stuff included) usually get posted in the "Other Anime or Science Fiction" sub-forum.

Secondly, "VFAs" wasn't exactly clear. Adding in my lurking time here, I've RARELY seen folks on this board (or on the RT forum for that matter) refer to the Alphas by the VFA designation. For all we know, you could've made a typo and forgot to add the 1 for "VF-1A."

Lastly, I don't think any of the responders were being "anal" (a little sarcastic, yes. But definitely not anal). If anything, the tone of your second post kinda brought it on yourself.

Generally, this board is pretty tolerable of and quite helpful towards newbies (I don't see any newbies getting "hazed" by the old-timers here.). Even when a newbie makes a mistake, most of the posters are patient and willing enough to point the guy in the right direction.

Just my 2 cents and some friendly advice. Do with it as you please.

what mode is this robot mode, i have no idea what mode he's talking about. what the heck. all i know is that Valkyries come in Fighter, Gerwalk and Batroid mode. wtf mode is robot mode. omg.

JK welcome to the board man, but definately learn the terminology.

Batroid sounds like something from a Batman movie to me.

"Hurry up Robin, let's jump in the Bat-roid!"

PS : I found the Wave SDF-1 for 129$ shipped today... is that a good price?? Is it from Macross?? :) Whatever, it looks cool despite the lack of knees or neck joints.

Edited by megatroptimus

I like my Alphas (Have 1 green and 1 shadow). I always wanted to get a couple more to customize... at the very least put some of my extra 1/60 Skull Squadron Jolly Rogers on Shadow Alphas for the REF Skull Squadron...

Ha ha, let the hazing begin!! Yeah just use the thread and also head over to the macross compendium (did i spell that right i sm out of it today) and learn everything there is to know about macross. Don't worry i was just like you though i began at robotech, and learned the hard way the truth about everything. I am still a fan of robotech though because that's what i watched as a child.

I always want one of these until I look at that picture in Jenius review with the saggy back.

I'm bringing saggy back

Them other toys don't know how to act

I think you're special whats behind your back

So turn around and I'll pick up the slack.

Take em' to the bridge

That proves I don't know much about Macross because I thought Robotech was part of the Macross universe (or vice versa?) seeing the designs are somewhat similar (jet/gerwalk/robot).

Robotech took three Japanese shows (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada) and tried to make one show out of them. The shows (in their original forms) have no relation to one another.

And maybe a Mospeada expert can correct me, but I think that the reason the Legioss has the three modes is because they were copying Macross' success in that department?

I always want one of these until I look at that picture in Jenius review with the saggy back.

I'm bringing saggy back

Them other toys don't know how to act

I think you're special whats behind your back

So turn around and I'll pick up the slack.

Take em' to the bridge

LOL

I`ll never be able to listen to that tune again.

Robotech took three Japanese shows (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada) and tried to make one show out of them. The shows (in their original forms) have no relation to one another.

And maybe a Mospeada expert can correct me, but I think that the reason the Legioss has the three modes is because they were copying Macross' success in that department?

Judging by the liner notes on the ADV boxed set it does seem it was the production company that pushed the idea of a transformable fighter - with the mechanical designers feeling somewhat less keen on the idea. They don't come out and directly say "We were told to do it because Macross had been a succes" but I do get a sense of a certain amount of that being in the air.

(Although someone far more knowledgeable than me about GCM will no doubt be able to shed more light on the subject)

Karl

Multi-mode transformation was popular in lots of series and helped sell toys. It may have been Macross inspired, it may have been inspired by shows previous or contemporary but I think it's best summed up as just being the thing to do at the time.

Just for the record, Mospeada modes are Armo-Soldier, Armo-Diver, and Armo-Fighter IIRC.

Armo-Diver mode could have a few reasons for existence. With the Beta in space you would gain more points of propulsion than fighter mode and have a smaller target area than battroid mode. Honestly though, if my memory serves "diver" mode is pretty much just for take-off and landing whereas a modified diver mode (arm back, wings out) is used for the equivalent of the VF-1's Gerwalk.

gerwalk on the alpha looks silly, imo. With the VF-1, it makes at least some sense... you get faster movement and are still able to deploy wing mounted weapons... but on the alpha? What's the point? it's just a hunch back battroid mode.

That's more what I meant... the VF-1 Gerwalk looks awesome.

Edited by meh_cd

Real world logistics aside, I think the diver mode *looks* great in the MPC form. You don't have the visual issues with the landing gears or the slightly arched back from fighter mode and the MPC has enough points of articulation where you can pick some very nice static poses. MPC Diver mode also helps hide the weak shoulder joint since the diver looks silly with an arm completely out-strecthed (something MPC's have a problem doing), it looks much more natural with the arm bent at the elbow (something the MPC does well). The modified diver mode with the arms back and the wings out also looks very nice on the MPC. Basically, the MPC looks (again, just looks, not talking true functionality) great in all modes except fighter... and if you're lucky even the fighter mode can look pretty good. Eh, we all know I'm biased to like any Alpha/Legioss toy though.

Edited by jenius

You know what? I know everyone says how horrible the MPC Legioss/Aplha is, but I just got my first one today for real cheap, and aside from the fact that it needs new hands (one was already broken when I bought it) it really is a fun toy. I can see possibly replacing the shoulders with a new joint and trying to make a boll joint for the hips (a much bigger maybe) but I really like it and have been playing with it all afternoon...