Star Wars 30th anniv DVD in the works

bandit29

Jeez and I thought this cow was milked dry...

http://www.mania.com/53591.html

According to the Associated Press, Hasbro stated while reporting earnings that they expect to release a new DVD for the 30th anniversary of the Star Wars films. Also reported was an update on the status of both Star Wars TV shows.

Looking ahead, Verrecchia said he expected Star Wars to continue to be a strong performer with Lucas planning a video release for this year's 30th anniversary, a Star Wars animated TV show next year and a live-action Star Wars TV show in 2009.

"He and his studio have a lot going on over the next several years to support the franchise," Verrecchia said.

I'm confused... since when does Hasbro have anything to do with the video releases of the Star Wars movies? Isn't that 20th Century Fox?

I'll have to wait and see if its worth getting or not. Have my 2004 OT boxset, the individual Episode 1-3 DVD's, and still debating if I'll get the DVD's that have the OT as originally shot. If the set comes with the OT as originally shot along with loads of new extras and cut scenes, that will definitely make it enticing.

Edited by Apollo Leader

So, any word on the changes Lucas will be doing on this set? You know he will be doing some.

The TV series set to start in 2009? Wow, that thing just keeps getting pushed back all the time. I had read originally that they were planning a start date of 2007, then 2008. It always seems to be 2 years away. :D

What is this? Did Lucas and Peter Jackson get together and start a competition for who could put out the most different DVD editions of their respective movie trilogies?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping they'll bring out a boxset that has all six movies, thats when i would buy starwars on dvd. I've not bought any of the previous dvd releases. I don't want to end up with several copies of the same movies.

and slight madness

light saber tv remote

Just a few years ago, they were selling something like that here in the states -- I actually had one for a while, but the thing never worked properly...

I am only interested in the upcoming new Star Wars cartoon and live action series.

Since, I found plenty of fan re edited Star Wars movies on www.fanedit.org ; I have no reason to buy yet another version of the Star Wars movies. The fan editor named adigitalman is doing some really great movie editing work, especially the first three star wars movies.

if they are releasing another edition, it should be on High def, release it for both Blue ray and HD DVD.

Otherwise its pointless to release it yet again for dvd.

agreed. I hope they don't release a monster 6 disc super set as well. I choose to ignore the prequels :p

Ugh...I don't think I can stomach another "special" edition from Lucas...I think I'll just sit back and wait for all six to be packaged together. Eventually...So I never have to watch them again...It can finally be over.

Edited by Rossi

I've bought one set on DVD and will buy the Blu-ray, if/when it comes out. I won't buy another DVD release just like I only bought one release on VHS (the THX set).

Edited by Uxi

Will there ever be a final version of the starwars movies? Lucas always seems to be going back and redoing things. :wacko:

Nah, this time he'll make sure that Greedo REALLY fires first or that Luke sticks his tongue down Leia's throat so we can all be grossed out. The more and more I read about what was supposed to happen with Return of the Jedi and the 'unnamed' 3rd Trilogy, the more I realise Lucas is a hack. <_<