Transformers Super Thread 5

Looks like they're keeping the afterburners blue. I assume that's the real MH-53 they used in shooting, but fake CGI Raptors. I wonder in which scenes (aside from the bits of pilots running to their fighters) we'll see the actual planes.

Are those drop tanks on their wings?

post-2653-1180358877_thumb.jpg

Could always be real F-22's with CG flames. Audiences expect afterburners 24/7, even though the F-22 is the one plane that doesn't need to use them very often... But I assume they're fake, USAF doesn't like to "risk" F-22's much. I'm surprised they use them for flyovers as often as they do.

Those are drop tanks, don't know why---they're only used for ferrying AFAIK on the -22, or if everything's shot down already and it's related to bombing. Kind of negates the whole point of internal carriage (and kills any stealth aspects).

Looks like they're keeping the afterburners blue. I assume that's the real MH-53 they used in shooting, but fake CGI Raptors. I wonder in which scenes (aside from the bits of pilots running to their fighters) we'll see the actual planes.

Are those drop tanks on their wings?

Well, the filming took place in New Mexico I believe and perhaps the F-22 simply had to loiter for a long long time..

Also, it could be a meassure to make Starscream more readily identifyable as being the slick F-22 with orange/yellow reheat cones.

Starscream being truer to a normally operated F-22 than the USAF jets is kinda amusing.

Edited by T.V.

Just got a Jetfire. Got him for a standard price.

He is a good toy, but not without his flaws. A bit loose in some areas, and horribly disproportionate legs. Some of the parts are poor fitting in the best of places. Missile launchers don't work that well either. The helmet "ears" are horrible, I'd like to shave them down, but i gotta think about what consequences that would have in fighter mode.

I reckon if his legs were a bit longer and thicker, they would be great. Plus the forearm cannons are clunkily designed, making posing difficult. Posability is not that great with the Jetfire compared to a Yamato 1/48 or even a 1/60 YF-19.

There are some bits that I like, such as the piping for the eyes, and the face design. The transformation mechanism is just about right. I think Kawamori and Yamato have spoiled us with those beautiful complex designs, they make transformers seem too simplistic. Half of my enjoyment comes from transforming, and this new toy i got is just satisfactory, much better than the overly simplified Cybertron toys.

He is a good toy, but not without his flaws. A bit loose in some areas, and horribly disproportionate legs. Some of the parts are poor fitting in the best of places. Missile launchers don't work that well either. The helmet "ears" are horrible, I'd like to shave them down, but i gotta think about what consequences that would have in fighter mode.

I reckon if his legs were a bit longer and thicker, they would be great. Plus the forearm cannons are clunkily designed, making posing difficult. Posability is not that great with the Jetfire compared to a Yamato 1/48 or even a 1/60 YF-19.

There are some bits that I like, such as the piping for the eyes, and the face design. The transformation mechanism is just about right. I think Kawamori and Yamato have spoiled us with those beautiful complex designs, they make transformers seem too simplistic. Half of my enjoyment comes from transforming, and this new toy i got is just satisfactory, much better than the overly simplified Cybertron toys.

Well jetfire was designed for kids....and also sold at a fraction of the price of the 1/48.

I like it but I never expected it to be something like a 1/48. Now if I was handling masterpiece starscream, that would be another story altogether and comparable to the 1/48.

I do agree that it is much more complex than the cybertron toys.

Comparing a $220AU collector Yamato toy to a $40AU Transformer kids toy is kinda well... not a very useful comparison. If there's one thing the Transformers are guaranteed to do, they're built tough according to Hasbro's standards are unlikely to suffer failure as much as the Yamatos seem to.

Could always be real F-22's with CG flames. Audiences expect afterburners 24/7, even though the F-22 is the one plane that doesn't need to use them very often... But I assume they're fake, USAF doesn't like to "risk" F-22's much. I'm surprised they use them for flyovers as often as they do.

Those are drop tanks, don't know why---they're only used for ferrying AFAIK on the -22, or if everything's shot down already and it's related to bombing. Kind of negates the whole point of internal carriage (and kills any stealth aspects).

Reason I ask is because the Pentagon (not the film makers) made a big deal about the fact this is the film debut of the real Raptor, so I had assumed it would be seen flying somewhere. Edited by Fit For Natalie

I'm sure one or two flying scenes will have the real thing. I mean, half the F-14's you see in Top Gun are simply radio-controlled models. Very large, detailed ones---but fake nonetheless. But the Navy heavily promoted their active involvement in the film.

But they'll probably still CG blue afterburners onto them...

I just noticed---if you remove the rudders from the v.stabs, you get a shape VERY similar to the toy. Check it out: (This pic not only highlights the outline of the rudder well, it is also the exact F-22 that portrays Starscream)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0961521/L

Well jetfire was designed for kids....and also sold at a fraction of the price of the 1/48.

I like it but I never expected it to be something like a 1/48. Now if I was handling masterpiece starscream, that would be another story altogether and comparable to the 1/48.

I do agree that it is much more complex than the cybertron toys.

Yeah look, I meant really things like a MMM GQ Impulse toy say, or even a Mirage.

I really didn't expect it to pose like a yamato, but i wanted something like the Mirage or Ultra Magnus. His was good, but the design didn't allow it I guess. Things get in the way.

For a TF, it's great.

I just want it to be more complex, so next time i'm going for a MP SS. I hunger for complex transforming toys!

Edited by kensei

Yeah look, I meant really things like a MMM GQ Impulse toy say, or even a Mirage.

I really didn't expect it to pose like a yamato, but i wanted something like the Mirage or Ultra Magnus. His was good, but the design didn't allow it I guess. Things get in the way.

For a TF, it's great.

I just want it to be more complex, so next time i'm going for a MP SS. I hunger for complex transforming toys!

Yea I wanted bicep swivels, and leg articulation like Magnus or Mirage. Jetfire's legs are made like Astrotrain's and that was dissapointing.

And really the forearm swivels were redundant since he had wrist swivels. Bicep swivels would have been much better.

And really the forearm swivels were redundant since he had wrist swivels. Bicep swivels would have been much better.

I disagree passionately.

I LOVE having the forearm swiveled so the missile launcher sits on top of the arm instead of to the side.

I don't like how he has a big head with the helmet on. What they should have done is given him a tiny head like mirage so the helmet could be small.

And yeah he may not pose as well as prime, but he has a nice aggressive apearance in robot mode with all the weapons. Maybe Kawamori should have helped with the design for classic jetifre instead of masterpiece starscream? :D Who wouldn't want a yf19-style jetfire at this size?

Or maybe they could have made a line of cybertronian fighters reimagined from g1? Instead of pyramid shaped seekers, make them look like valkyries instead.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I don't like how he has a big head with the helmet on. What they should have done is given him a tiny head like mirage so the helmet could be small.

I find the helmet makes him one of the few TFs I have with a proportionately sized head. Most of them look to me to have kind of small heads. Jetfire is downright pineaded, without his helmet.

For some reason, Mirage's tiny lil' noggin doesn't bother me. I guess he's just that awesome.

yeah, that's the first bad custom I've seen. And the guys on the TF forum all think it's an acutal release? :blink:

Well FRY's is goign to carry the figures on Saturday.....I'll probably go there before I go to work to check and see.......but I don't think I'll be getting any for a while.

Another anime repaint of MP Starscream, nice this time tho even if he went a bit overboard with the carbon burning.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=135630

yeah, that's the first bad custom I've seen. And the guys on the TF forum all think it's an acutal release? :blink:

S250 has confirmed it is a legit Hasbro release. He's one of the chinese guys who regularly post test shot/proto news.

The hull is most likely not painted, so you can probably use some paint thinner to wipe it off or something.

Seems to be a test shot, as those ball joints on his hips are cast red plastic. On hand-painted prototypes they usually avoid painting the joint areas.

I was at wallymart this past weekend and saw most of the movie transformers on pegs and on the shelf...including The interactive bumblebee,voyagers,deluxes and those mini camera/cellphone/etc. Was about to snag them but when it was time to ring 'em up they said they couldnt sell them to me!?!?!?!

Why the hell are they on display then already I asked??? Idiots!! (Yes I do realize there is an official release date for these, but my point was they were on the shelves already.)

The hull is most likely not painted, so you can probably use some paint thinner to wipe it off or something.

Seems to be a test shot, as those ball joints on his hips are cast red plastic. On hand-painted prototypes they usually avoid painting the joint areas.

Yeah, I'm thinking thinner or isopropyl to take it off, I'm just worried that it might knock out the panel lining too. Could put the panel lining back in after I guess.

I hope they change the black joints to matching grey too though.

I was at wallymart this past weekend and saw most of the movie transformers on pegs and on the shelf...including The interactive bumblebee,voyagers,deluxes and those mini camera/cellphone/etc. Was about to snag them but when it was time to ring 'em up they said they couldnt sell them to me!?!?!?!

Why the hell are they on display then already I asked??? Idiots!! (Yes I do realize there is an official release date for these, but my point was they were on the shelves already.)

Walmart are jerkfaces.

I'm being more polite at TFW, but am I the only that thinks the massive black streaks make it look like utter crap? Coal-fired locomotives don't get that filthy. WTF is the guy basing his "weathering" on? In addition to an apparent air-brake and engine-bay keel fire, SS has also seemed to fire several million rounds from the gun. And subsequently never cleaned, with "magic" smoke/soot/cordite that can leave black streaks in a LONG trail from the source.

Plus the fact that the gun vents seem to be spotless...

I'll wait for Thundercracker (hopefully he'll be deep metallic blue and CLEAN) But I wouldn't be surprised if we only ever get SS here.