Will there be a Yamato SV-51 toy?

deathdealer

http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/horton1485/ls...c=ph&.view=

Already done in Japan with the Hasegawa SV-51. Yamato just needs to employ the fellow that coverted the model kit. PLEASE!!!! B))

@Vic Mancini : Yeah the battroid mode kinda grows on ya after a while....

Consider this guys, the first ever transforming toy of the sv-51....it'll be a milestone and a challenge for yamato! :D

Photos from Yahoo Japan. Please see the above link.

Sorry that I do not read Japanese and can not give credit where it is due.

Edit: From the photos on Y.P. the landing gear and canopy work, it even has the boosters mounted on the wings in the last two fighter photos.

"Do it! Just DO IT!"

post-3784-1166128794_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1166128834_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1166128863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fly4victory

The SV-51 in the anime was designed using CAD which means no anime magic was used right? So, like the VF-0, it should be very easy for Yamato to transfer into toy form.

I'd have to get three, one for fighter mode, one for battroid mode and one for fighter mode with the boosters... :mellow:

I've posted this link before in the 'hope for the future'thread.

Here's the important bit:

Macross Zero News

3. Update: Yamato also confirmed they have talked with Big West showing interest that they would like to make transforming 1/60 scale Macross Zero toys(nothing has been set in stone yet as I incorrectly reported before). It's not clear yet how many variants they will make of the two main mecha, but there could possibly be four releases altogether which would be: -

� VF-0 Focker type.

� VF-0 Shin Kudo type.

� SV-51 Nora Polyansky type

� SV-51 standard type.

Bear in mind that this was in back in 2003. A lot might have changed since then.

Grahams sig now says "Flap Flap Flap."

Maybe Yamato's making the Dino Bird from 'Plus, with realistic flapping action.

I'd like to see a '51 also, but I'm hoping that they finish the 'Plus line first...

those converted model kit pics have been going around for some time, and i'm hoping the yamato sv-51 will have better proportions than those....

well, yamato spends considerable effort in making it as close as possible to the line art in all modes, let's all just hope the end result will be the best compromise....i don't mind a little beefiness in the interest of playability and appearance tweaking :D

Even better than that, it appears that the concept for the anime (at least for battroid) was originally prototyped in Lego. :blink:

What?!

Isnt there a whole anime magic deal with the front of the 51 or something? I recall something about the nose section folding over itself or somthing...

From what I can tell, just about everything is "Possible" in the SV-51 transformation . The Nose Cone, however, folds into the nose gear bay. This wouldn't be possible, unless the nose gear moving into the cockpit.

That's the main problem I see for a yamato SV-51. Well, that and some thin attachment points at different areas around the plane. It will be interesting to see what yamato will come up with, if they do actually make one.

Chris

I don't see a real problem really. The nose cone doesn't go into the landing gear bay, as illustrated by my MS Word picture. :lol:

And even if it did, they could slide the landing gear further into the fuselage to make way for the nose cone.

post-1640-1166174712_thumb.jpg

Even better than that, it appears that the concept for the anime (at least for battroid) was originally prototyped in Lego. :blink:

Yep that's right you can see it in the "kawamori design works" and in the figure ou #95:

http://www.nautilus-anime.com/dossier/vanf...mages/van11.jpg

http://www.nautilus-anime.com/dossier/vanf...mages/van12.jpg

As discussed at MacrossNexus:

http://forums.macrossnexus.com/index.php?s...c=123&st=60

The nosecone goes directly into the gear bay (as best anyone can tell, and make work).

Pic credit goes to Mecha Nut

Even with those pictures, it doesn't suggest that it is required to go into the landing gear bay. You could very well just fold above the bay doors. For best fit (if necessary), a cavity can be created on the nose cone itself very much like how a cavity is created to fit the swing bars on the VF-0/VF-1.

But if you really must have it go into the landing gear bay, the landing gear itself could be pushed further back into the fuselage since its hollow anyway.

Anyway, here's hoping the next release is a SV-51 as well. There are certain clues left on the board that point to this already.

Photos from Yahoo Japan. Please see the above link.

Sorry that I do not read Japanese and can not give credit where it is due.

Edit: From the photos on Y.P. the landing gear and canopy work, it even has the boosters mounted on the wings in the last two fighter photos.

"Do it! Just DO IT!"

Yep the battroid seems to be anorexic!

but it has the telescopic head and it is so diiferent !

I want one!!

I think yamato should use very small articulations.I think it will be very fragile and will need extremly care to be transformed.

Edited by daisuki

The cockpit sits directly above the gear well--if you "push the gear in further" then there's no room for a cockpit. Yamatos already are flown by amputees, there's not a millimeter to spare. In both real fighter planes and toy valks "the cockpit floor is the nosegear bay ceiling".

And if you go by the lineart, the nose is mostly hidden, so it needs to go into the bay quite far.

Removable gear solves a lot of problems...

You could say that about a lot of things, though. If you make removable gear, why not make removable legs? Removable arms? Removable intakes? Removable everything? Hell, why not make three versions of each toy, one for each mode, each one 100% line art accurate and non transformable?

IMO, the beauty of Yamato's designs is that nothing needs to be removed. They walk the line between a practical functioning model and impractical line art, and make the necessary compromises to achieve the best balance.

Take the YF 19, for example. Personally, I'd rather have the over sized gullet than a front landing gear that needs to be removed. That was a difficult design problem which Yamato solved beautifully. I hated the big gullet at first, but that was a good compromise, and in the end I'm glad they made it.

If I'm Yamato, I say screw the line art nazis, and make the best possible functioning representation of the mech. Make the compromises necessary to make it happen without having to replace/remove parts. It may be more difficult that way, but I think the end result is worth it.

That's my humble opinion.

Signed, The Perfect Transformation Nazi.

Edited by Vic Mancini

IMO, the beauty of Yamato's designs is that nothing needs to be removed. They walk the line between a practical functioning model and impractical line art, and make the necessary compromises to achieve the best balance.

To me, there's a huge difference between what's mechanically feasiblle in a toy vs. a full-sized mecha. Limitations in materials, manufacturing, and scale will determine what can be done with a toy in terms of matching lineart - I can accept that fact and would rather have accuracy at the expense of "golly-gee" perfect transformation, but with serious aesthetic compromises.

For example, I would have also preferred that the 1/48 VF-1 had an improved removable leg system (locking and sturdy, not like the 1/60) to eliminate the low-hanging arms in fighter mode, but that's just me. Removable landing gear is even less of a big deal for me, fighters are best displayed gear-up anyways. An added benefit of removable gear is you won't have to rip your nails off or get out the tweezers to flip the gear out.

I straddle the line between Toy Geek and Model Geek, so I'm probably in the minority.

EDIT: I will say that the gullet on the YF-19 is now OK with me. I haven't seen a consistent lineart representation that confirms or denies if there's supposed to be a gullet or how big it is. The SV-51, on the other hand, is pretty much the same in every depiction I've seen, probably due to the "Lego" origins and the CG animation.

Edited by ghostryder

I can accept that fact and would rather have accuracy at the expense of "golly-gee" perfect transformation, but with serious aesthetic compromises.

Well, it depends on how serious the compromise is, but overall I disagree. For me, the number one priority for a toy is transformation, accuracy is number two.

If someone wants perfect accuracy and something that they want to "display" then I say get a model.

IMO, a toy is not meant to be a perfectly accurate representation, it's meant to be an interpretation of how the line art/design might actually appear if it existed in real life. Accuracy is a bonus and if it can be achieved, then great, but if the sacrifice is working landing gear I'd prefer to see a clever compromise in the design, instead.

The reason the nose cone needs to push up into the gear bay is so that the swing "plate" for the legs can be correctly positioned. The SV-51's legs are "swung" into position by the panel located in between the intakes. It's the portion that inclueds the exhaust plates for the 51's VTOL engines. If the nosecone didn't compress the legs wouldn't beable to move into position.

Possible solution would be to have the nose cone leave a space between the fuselage and it....essentially, instead of going into the gear bay like David showed,let the Leg plate sit flush against the nose gear doors and then have the nose cone fold over top of the leg plate. It's not perfect, but it seems like it would work......if you could follow what I was describing! :wacko:;)

Chris

http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/horton1485/ls...c=ph&.view=

Already done in Japan with the Hasegawa SV-51. Yamato just needs to employ the fellow that coverted the model kit. PLEASE!!!! B))

Finally a variable airframe that could be made into a new toy that is unique and stands out as being somewhat different from the standard VF, 19, and 21 toys. I love the VF, 19 and 21 toys but at some point I just want something new, cool and original. The SV-51 in those pictures looks totally awesome and if Yamato made one I would snap it up faster than a tornado picks up a trailer.

Now Yamato.....bring on the 1/60 SV-51 AND the VA-3 Intruder. And throw in the SDF-1 while your'e at it.

I thank you.

We need some sort of code language with Graham so that we can communicate new stuff and not anger the powers that be at Yamato...

Finally a variable airframe that could be made into a new toy that is unique and stands out as being somewhat different from the standard VF, 19, and 21 toys. I love the VF, 19 and 21 toys but at some point I just want something new, cool and original. The SV-51 in those pictures looks totally awesome and if Yamato made one I would snap it up faster than a tornado picks up a trailer.

Now Yamato.....bring on the 1/60 SV-51 AND the VA-3 Intruder. And throw in the SDF-1 while your'e at it.

I thank you.

We need some sort of code language with Graham so that we can communicate new stuff and not anger the powers that be at Yamato...

Yamato would probably be bidding on this SV-51 to study it. It'll cost less to just look/study at this guys Transforming Hasegawa SV-51 than fiting the guy itself hehehe! :)

Hmnn perhaps this has been noticed and stated before. I just took a look at where the gun is and how it's stored on the SV-51. The gun is very much part of the plane just like the shield is on the YF-19. Therefore if one were to lose the gun, there'd be a giant hole inbetween the legs of the fighter. It also explains how the gun is stored in the legs (Eps 3 of Macross Zero). The legs do a full 180 twist to bring the gun from the inside position to the side position for easier access. It also moves that knee into a gerwalk leg configuration.

Is this design really practical for a plane? That gap is gonna cause a lot of problems aerodynamically.

An Sv-51 losing the gun wouldn't have any problems other than drag-related. No different than the YF-21 flew with the legs gone--- so long as the wings are still there, and has sufficient control (either aerodynamic or vectoring), it'll fly. On modern fighters, the rear fuselage between the engines (if there is any) is shaped purely to reduce drag, and/or is a good place to put a drag chute. Nothing more. F-111 is a good example of bad design--it gets like 30% of its total drag from being poorly shaped there. But it doesn't affect how it flies at all. F-14 had that area changed several times, getting smaller and more complexly-shaped each time. F-15 had it chopped off entirely.

PS--going along with other recent posts---I want the Sv-51 because it's different. I still don't have a VF-0, simply because it's so similar to the VF-1. That's a lot of money for what is basically a repaint. I'd buy a VF-0D though, as it's delta-winged and that changes everything. But the Sv-51 is so unique--every mode, and the transformation. And I want Nora's magenta one!

I think what you meant was if the YF-21 lost it's arms. The legs of the YF-21 is stored within the fuelselage. Losing the legs doesn't change the shape of the plane much, but losing the arms and the wings on it does.

Still I understand what you mean.. It's the wings, not the shape of the overall plane that matters.

I think the SV-51's form is a variation of the YF-19. Both have the chest behind the cockpit with it's arms folded back and it's head hidden. Transformation to battloid mode requires both to fold up and over the cockpit. It's just that the SV-51 does that to a lesser degree.