1:60 GBP-1 !?

CF18

Man, Go away for a week and a lot happens :o

One step closer to getting the 1/60 complete, Yamato just needs to start producing enemy mecha ;)

hey people, quit complaining about the shoulders. the reason? the bottom of the GBP shoulder armor is just molded in the same color as the VF-1J! there have been no shoulder mods at all, it's just part of the armor!

I agree with ya on this, its bascially a shoulder plate molded in white with a GPB shoulder attachment covering the existing shoulders. If Yamato didint did such a modfication, the shoulder armor wouldnt be able to fit in given that the GPB chest plate armor would interfere with the attachment of the shoulder armor. It may not be an exact replica true to the TV series but nevertheless we have 1/60 GPB thats 100 times better than what Bandai has conjured up. There be other modfications we havent seen to the others parts of the GPB armor so that it fits the 1/60, till then lets for Graham's review.

This maybe the modification we will see if this concept were to be inplemented on the 1/48 VF-1J. One thing bugs me though is how skinny the 1/48s arms will be in comparision to the humongous GPB armor.

Cheers

:D B)

I wonder if the slip over shoulder thing was also added for stability, and to keep the shoulder armor nice and straight. If you just slipped the armor over the existing shoulder, it may not attach very securely, so the slip over shoulder may help the armor stay on better.

One thing bugs me though is how skinny the 1/48s arms will be in comparision to the humongous GPB armor.

Cheers

:D B)

If you're wondering about skinny arms + big armor, you can take a look at the Armored VF-0. So far, it doesn't seem to be a problem with anyone.

HLJ just put a listing for an armored 1J. No info, can't pre-order or anything, but it's there, and it looks like they went ahead and just put the price at that of the Supers until more actual info, and actual pricing, comes. I wonder if the 4/2004 is tentative or the actual planned date.

Edit: Added Link

Edited by Anubis

wow, that was quick! Does anybody know if this is going to be seperate piece or is it going to be coming with the vf-1j valk? I hope it's just the armor. I can't wait!

At a price of 9800yen, it should be coming with the Valk.

Hmm if the date is really 4/2004, then think of all the goodies that could potentially be comming out! Yamato usually realeases at least one item per month on average! COOL!!

hehe, chan, I can see you buying like five of these. One for every yammy valk you have and either customize or sell off the remaining valks the armor came with. :p:D:lol: That's what phatslappy did with the bandai super vf-1s valk.

Hmm if the date is really 4/2004, then think of all the goodies that could potentially be comming out! Yamato usually realeases at least one item per month on average! COOL!!

hehe, chan, I can see you buying like five of these. One for every yammy valk you have and either customize or sell off the remaining valks the armor came with. :p:D:lol: That's what phatslappy did with the bandai super vf-1s valk.

HEH HE :lol: you seem to know me better then I do

HEH HE :lol: you seem to know me better then I do

One thing, I doubt the Armored 1J will actually be 9800 yen. Since a price probably hasn't been specified yet, they went ahead and used the price from the Supers IMO, since they had to put something down to put up the listing. I would expect the price to be a hair higher, and will be adjusted before they actually accept preorders for it. I would wager 11,000 yen for a 1J with armor as it's price as my guess, and 4800 yen if they release the armor by itself. These would fit proportionally with the current prices in that scale.

I am hoping they release the armor both with and without the 1J. I already have a Hikaru 1J Super, but might consider getting another with armor. It would still be nice to have the option of just buying the armor so we could put it on a CF or 1S.

Uhm, I hope you guys have read through the thread. As of this time the GBP will be bundled with a 1J at an unspecified price, release is set at Summer '04.

I too hope that the GBP will be released seperately, but for the 1/60 line it is out-of-character for Yamato to do this.

EDIT: Grammer

Edited by Lynx7725

Separate GBP would help make up for the no separate Fast Packs, though, at least.

I really wish Yamato would sell the armor seperately. I already have a Hikaru VF-1J and would prefer to be able to put the GBP on any of my 1/60...

Since they went to the trouble to make the armor from scratch, I'm pretty sure personally that they will release it both ways, to make it as profitable a venture as possible. It might even help sell more of the older 1A's. A 1A Max w/ armor and 2 gunpods might be interesting, John Woo style on a display stand (if we can balance it right and the hands allow it).

Even if the only release is with a 1J included, I'll still be happy. My Hikaru 1J FP will just go in Gerwalk since I don't have anyone in that mode, and stand next to the armored 1J.

After seeing the picture with the much more clear view of the shoulders, I have a theory. I think the oversized shoulders are a part of the GBP armour itself, fitted over regular size 1/60 shoulders. Think about how the GBP armour connects to the VF-1 shoulders, then try to imagine how that can be done with the current 1/60 line. Doesn't seem like it could work well, does it? Hence, the armour comes attached to "shoulders" that snap over the existing shoulders. I wounder if something similar would be done with the 1/48 version (if one is made) or would a better solution be available for that scale? I don't think it's all that bad, since the armour must be removed to transform it anyways, but it would account for the oversized shoulders.

After seeing the picture with the much more clear view of the shoulders, I have a theory. I think the oversized shoulders are a part of the GBP armour itself, fitted over regular size 1/60 shoulders. Think about how the GBP armour connects to the VF-1 shoulders, then try to imagine how that can be done with the current 1/60 line. Doesn't seem like it could work well, does it? Hence, the armour comes attached to "shoulders" that snap over the existing shoulders. I wounder if something similar would be done with the 1/48 version (if one is made) or would a better solution be available for that scale? I don't think it's all that bad, since the armour must be removed to transform it anyways, but it would account for the oversized shoulders.

Sounds about right to me.

From previous accounts by Graham, Big West isn't too keen on "non canon" changes to the original designs. Case in point: The delay in fixing the 1/60 gunpods because retractable handles weren't part of the original design. If the shoulders really are "slip overs", they would obviously differ from the original. Guess BW has decided to loosen up their reins.

Guess BW has decided to loosen up their reins.

Or there wasn't any other way to do it that would satisfy the sculpt. Possible scenario: GBP is already sculpted. Original shoulder pieces go over existing 1/60 shoulders. Someone finally puts it on... and its looks dont pass approval. "What's wrong w/ the shoulders!" "Ok well THIS is what we can do..."

Or it was too expensive to retool shoulders when all they had to do was slip covers. Who can tell? It will come off with the armor anyway to transform, so does it really matter?

Dri: Product realisation based on conceptual artwork can go both ways. Big West might have bulked at how the redesigned gunpod looked like, but in this case it might have bulked at how the Armoured Valkyrie looked without the slip-overs.

I think it's really not possible to achieve an asethetically pleasing look without the use of the slip-overs -- anime magic can make the anime Armoured Valkyrie look good without slip-overs, but plastic-and-metal can't benefit from that. Similarly, the crotch armour is also significantly different from the anime lineart. But sure as heck there's no way to cramp a long slender Yamato 1/60 nose into the blocky lineart crotch armour. Big West probably realises that and let things go a bit.

I had already said this two pages back in this thread.... GEEZ! no one listens to me here.... "Is this thing on??!!" *tap, tap* :p

Edited by rocco_77

Guess BW has decided to loosen up their reins.

Or there wasn't any other way to do it that would satisfy the sculpt. Possible scenario: GBP is already sculpted. Original shoulder pieces go over existing 1/60 shoulders. Someone finally puts it on... and its looks dont pass approval. "What's wrong w/ the shoulders!" "Ok well THIS is what we can do..."

Or it was too expensive to retool shoulders when all they had to do was slip covers. Who can tell? It will come off with the armor anyway to transform, so does it really matter?

I'm sure that deep down it's somehow Yamato's fault. Isn't that always the case?

I'm sure that deep down it's somehow Yamato's fault. Isn't that always the case?

It was just an observation of an apparent change in BW's way of thinking. No need to take it as "Yamato bashing".

I admit I'd be happier if the shoulders were proportioned better in the first place, in anticipation of GBP parts. Having to resort to the assumed "slip over" shoulders is just... inelegant.

I admit I'd be happier if the shoulders were proportioned better in the first place, in anticipation of GBP parts. Having to resort to the assumed "slip over" shoulders is just... inelegant.

yeah well.. hindsight's always a bit easier. Legacy issues abound in all industries.

Excrement happens. :)

yeah well.. hindsight's always a bit easier. Legacy issues abound in all industries.

Excrement happens. :)

Indeed. 20 years of hindsight.

There...you see? I knew you had it in you.

Here's an idea, kids; why not wait until somebody actually *gasp* handles one of these things before we pass judgement on it. Personally, I agree with those who think the shoulders are to

1) avoid retooling a seperate shoulder piece

2) give it that TV appearance

Like I said earlier, I just hope it can hold a gunpod.

wouldn't bother me a bit if the shoulder armors were slip-covers. Just adds to the bulk. :p

I agree though, I hope it will be able to hold a gun pod.

I'm pretty excited about this release. Can't wait to get one. :)