Pilots? What Pilots?

J A Dare

Looks like a B-2-ified A-12. :) (Not that many people will get the reference)

PS---Lockheed's proposed making pilotless F-16's, as we have so many old ones, and they're so cheap. It won't be long before we run out of F-4 drones for target practice. Might as well see if a drone fighter can do more than just be shot at. Once you remove the pilot and his seat, there's lots of room for electronics--and F-16's are already FBW. Heck, you can get rid of lots of things--canopy, O2 supply, instrument panel, rudder pedals, etc.

Looks like a B-2-ified A-12.  :)  (Not that many people will get the reference)

The Avenger right? I thought it only made it to concept stage?

PS---Lockheed's proposed making pilotless F-16's, as we have so many old ones, and they're so cheap.

That's not a bad idea...if they are only going to use UCAVs for attack/strike missions. I mean, they already have a proven airframe. Wouldn't it mostly be a software issue to make this happen?

They have the X-45 at the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio right now.

Or at last the Prototype.

They're Piloted by remote like the Predator Drones but with a little more bite.

UCAV's are just an extention of air combat in the future they will be the first in to take out enemy fighters and early warning radar. Then you will see the F-117's followed by F-22's and F/A-18's.

Then there's the Big Guys B-1B's, B-52H's, and B-2 Spirits that will mop up the rest.

They all are piloted, the UCAV's just have a guy sitting in front of a monitor eating a Sub Sandwich and Drinking a Slushie. Just kidding, It will be like flying a simulator though.

Scot

Looks like a B-2-ified A-12. :) (Not that many people will get the reference)

PS---Lockheed's proposed making pilotless F-16's, as we have so many old ones, and they're so cheap. It won't be long before we run out of F-4 drones for target practice. Might as well see if a drone fighter can do more than just be shot at. Once you remove the pilot and his seat, there's lots of room for electronics--and F-16's are already FBW. Heck, you can get rid of lots of things--canopy, O2 supply, instrument panel, rudder pedals, etc.

Pretty much it's a Ghost X-9 in the making.

They all are piloted, the UCAV's just have a guy sitting in front of a monitor eating a Sub Sandwich and Drinking a Slushie. Just kidding, It will be like flying a simulator though.

hmmm...I thought they are working on UCAVs to be totally automated...ie. no human intervention or control. That's why I mentioned attack/strike missions since targets are stationary or easily identified with pattern recognition.

BTW, tha F-16 drone looks sweet. So what do you think? A Ghost X-9 in our lifetime...say within the next 40-50 years???

UAV's like Global Hawk are preprogrammed and sent on recon missions.

UAV's like Predator are piloted by remote as well as the UCAV.

I don't think we want something to happen like in that old Chevy Chase movie "Deal of the Century"

UCAV's have to have a human responsible for pulling the trigger.

I wouldn't want one to mistake a Jetliner for a bomber or a private plane for a fighter.

looks like photoshop to me. the carrier pic that is. we're probly very close to unmaned anti fighter weapons. i mean, its not like we dogfight anymore, everything is done on the range of miles using missles. so its really not far fetched at all.

Frankly I don't see UCAVs ever actually replacing maned fighters. I think that instead they'll end up suplementing them, say one or two manned fighters leading a squadron of UCAVs. I just don't see AI being able to replicate human judgement any time soon.

Will we have a fully autonomous (AI-controlled) combat aircraft in our lifetime (next 50 years or so)? Ehhhhhh... perhaps on a limited basis.

However, I think there's a whole lotta development that's gotta go on before folks start entrusting the welfare of expensive military hardware soley to AI. I think that the increasingly widespread use of pilot-less aircraft is a more realistic near-term possibility. Remote-piloted aircraft will expand beyond their current spy/ recon/ blck ops role into more visible & routine day-to-day uses.

To make a slightly silly analogy, aircraft carriers of the future could resemble seafaring arcades. Actually, with satellite systems, the carrier itself really need only have a minimal human crew to supervise & service the shipboard systems & pilotless/ AI aircraft. The 'pilots' (assuming non-AI control) could be in some secure base deep in a mountainside in Colorado or wherever. Doesn't really matter as long as the pilot signal can get to the aircraft. Gone could be the days of the cocksure fighter jock to be replaced by the deadly accurate future versions of today's top dedicated gamer-geeks. Weird, but entirely possible in a real-time, wireless networked future society.

What's interesting about this sort of development in combat aircraft - aside from removing the human pilot directly out of harm's way in the combat zone - is the change in air combat tactics this could portend.

Instead of the current fairly large complex aircraft, future pilotless/AI aircraft could be smaller & cheaper... & capable of engaging in high-speed/ high-G maneuvers that would otherwise pulp an onboard human pilot.

Researchers are currently studying the bio-mechanics, behavior & habits of swarming insects so that they might successfully apply such principles to AI based robotic airframes. Actually, by removing the human body from the airframe, there is no limit to the design possibilities & configurations we could see. Delicate but deadly insect-like craft, or ornithopters, could literally swarm the skies of future air combat zones! Think of the flying Hunter-Killers from the Terminator movies... but remote piloted by human pilots.

Personally, I don't see technology & future AI replacing human pilots... but I do see them augmenting a human pilots' skills & abilities far beyond the capabilities of todays modern military.

Edited by Amped

• 5 years later...

Considering I work on flight testing UAVs and UCAVs for the USAF I have an inside line on the 'cuda because of work we've done with EADS. However due to OPSEC I will keep my mouth shut, though I might be able to confirm anything that DH says if it is publicly known.

And I agree that the Cuda is the most Ghost looking UAV out there right now.

Considering I work on flight testing UAVs and UCAVs for the USAF I have an inside line on the 'cuda because of work we've done with EADS. However due to OPSEC I will keep my mouth shut, though I might be able to confirm anything that DH says if it is publicly known.

And I agree that the Cuda is the most Ghost looking UAV out there right now.

Oh Knight26 you're such a tease when it comes to OPSEC. Come on make with the juicy stuff! What are it's front and side aspect RCS in square meters? If possible please provide detailed info on chemical composition of and the construction techniques for, any RAM used in it's structure.

My "freind" Yuri want's to know, yeah that's it!

Edited by Nied

At Kotaku(?), I think somethin close enough to Kotaku talked about military implementing AI players that try and pass off as another player.

If the unmanned craft is ran by a "that" AI then we're screwed.

If theres a Virus catched, I do hope it wouldn't start singing.