The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

If Nintendo would release some kind of update that'd let the Wii play actual Saturn & or Sega CD disc's, I'd run out & get one now!

Seconded in a huge way. I think Sega should just sell a super Sega system that plays all the games of the old systems. I'd buy that for like $99.

Seconded in a huge way. I think Sega should just sell a super Sega system that plays all the games of the old systems. I'd buy that for like $99.

Once I saw how tiny the Wii was, I immediately imaged it as the perfect replacement for bulky old systems. I don't see why nintendo doesn't consider doing it, since it really isn't that different from the downloaded emu's.

Americans crave violence? Hmm This does look like a cool game though. Too bad I don't have a Wii

SUDA-51 I Want No More Heroes sequel

When asked about why the game was changed in the US to become gorier, whereas Europeans are to get the original Japanese version, he said that he made the decision because he thought pure action games went down better in Europe whereas the Americans liked their games ultraviolent. He said, "In the European and Japanese versions, there's more of an action style to the game. For instance, when you kill characters in this version of the game, the coins come out straight away... And the American market has more of a predilection to a more violent version. I don't want anyone to misunderstand--neither version is better. I love both versions."

I don't see why nintendo doesn't consider doing it, since it really isn't that different from the downloaded emu's.

There probably won't be a Saturn system emulator for the Wii because the Wii has a relatively weak processor. By comparison, the Saturn's processor is far weaker, but the Saturn is also an incredibly complex machine. In order to achieve near-perfect emulation Nintendo would have to spend a lot of time coding an extremely efficient emulator. And for what purpose, to please a small percentage (myself included) of fans? It doesn't look cost effective to me.

Instead of releasing an actual Saturn emulator that plays actual CD's, I could see Nintendo emulating Saturn games an a per-download basis. It would still involve a *tremendous* amount of coding, but at least they could take shortcuts with hacks to get an individual game running, kind of like what Bleemcast did on the Dreamcast. Plus Nintendo could make more money by selling several games instead of selling a single emulator. The only problem would be storage. Even if the ISO is compressed down to 90mb, that's nearly 1/5 of the Wii's paltry 500mb of onboard storage. SD cards are one option, but you'd still have to transfer the game to the Wii's onboard memory every time you want to play.

Yeah but SD memory is so cheap now it's hardly a factor. And at least there isn't a new version every 6 mo. although it being Ninendo there'll be at least one move version which will no doubt have more flash memory too with it coming down so much in price.

Hmmmm Zappers kind of fun, my arms get kind of tired holding it, and sometimes it's not nessessary to have the numchuck on the handle it even has the option of not using it in the handle holster.

My biggest gripe though, is that it doesn't align probably. Where I'm pointing at the screen isn't where my cusor should be indicated, that could pose as a problem in future games.

But I really can't wait too play a game that can use the gun.

My biggest gripe though, is that it doesn't align probably. Where I'm pointing at the screen isn't where my cusor should be indicated, that could pose as a problem in future games.

But I really can't wait too play a game that can use the gun.

I had that problem, it turned out that somehow my Wii settings defaults had been tripped and it had my sensor bar listed on top of the TV instead of under it where I have it positioned, that caused the tracking to be all screwed up for the wii-mote and was really only really noticable with the zapper.

Double check your settings, it might be an easy fix.

I had my Wii for 4 months finaly saw it had built in wireless lol, so I have it connected and man they do have a lot of classics for download. I need to got a classic controller now.

Huh? you didn't know it had built in wi-fi? That was one of the big turn ons for the people who bought it :p you didn't need to buy any stupid attatchment like you would for the 360.

Tell me about, I was being such a tard. I thought I had to hardwire it lol, I still have to hook up my PS3 but its in a room across the house froum my router where my 360 is and it barely in the green on the 360 so hopefully the PS3 wi-fi will get enough signal to connect.

finally got a Wii Zapper, can't wait to play Resident Evil Umbrella with it!

not sure how much it can improve the game, I played it at a friends house it was probably the worst game I played last year.

It will be interesting to see how well it sells here in America. Reviews have all been generally rather positive, and yet the game is bombing in Japan. This lead to the game's creator stating that he believes there's no market outside of casual games for the Wii.

On the other hand, the game is said to have strong western influences, GTA style gameplay that's not popular in Japan, and it's well known that the Europe and Japanese releases would be censored, and the American version not.

I intend to pick up my copy the same time I pick up my preorder on Days of Ruin.

Have you seen this:

I think this is a cool idea for future console to implement (but combined with the HD graphics and oblivion sized worlds we all want from rpgs) when the usage of motion tracking is more common.

Basically the guy in the video demonstrates a VR head tracking example and shows how the screen can act like a picture plane as if looking out of a window. This is the kind of thing I want to see in an oblivion style game only with the usage of the motion sensing with your hands added to it.

If this has already been posted nevermind. (haven't read up to the current page)

• 2 weeks later...
I hope that isn't a preview for a port of The Force Unleashed.

Gimme something JUST for the Wii Lucasarts.

It is. And from what I've read, yeah, you swing the Wiimote to swing the lightsaber, but swinging the lightsaber has default animations and doesn't track with the Wiimote's motion (like Zelda). If all you've got is a Wii and a PS2, maybe the Wii version's looking pretty good. But if you've got a PS3 or 360, I'd imagine that better audio, better visuals, and better physics would make those versions better choices.

It is. And from what I've read, yeah, you swing the Wiimote to swing the lightsaber, but swinging the lightsaber has default animations and doesn't track with the Wiimote's motion (like Zelda). If all you've got is a Wii and a PS2, maybe the Wii version's looking pretty good. But if you've got a PS3 or 360, I'd imagine that better audio, better visuals, and better physics would make those versions better choices.

If that's true then count me out.

I beta tested The Force Unleashed for the Wii and was NOT that impressed.

The tacked on Multiplayer is like the old Capcom fighter Powerstone.

I heavily suggested a first person view and tighter wiimote lightsaber control.

I guess they didn't wanna listen....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to nab the game, too, and how sweet it is! I'm digging it. So far I even love the little in-between mission part-time job segments that most people seem to dislike. Forget Lucasarts, I think this game nailed the Lightsaber Game for the Wii category.

By the way, any idea how well No More Heroes is selling in the west? I recall it bombed pretty hard in Japan.

Edited by Radd

Where are you guys getting your copies of Brawl this Sunday?

I'm expecting some good online matches from you guys on Macrossworld.

I reserved mine from one of my few remaining contacts from my old Gamestop days. I just have to figure out how I'm going to pay it off... :blink:

IGN gives Super Smash Brothers Brawl a 9.5/10.0 B))

http://wii.ign.com/articles/856/856580p1.html

9.0 Presentation

An impressive lineup of stages and characters, including some from third parties. Amazing soundtrack. Gorgeous cut-scenes. Simple menus. Long front-load and lacking online options.

8.5 Graphics

Looks like an enhanced version of Melee. Improved character models and backgrounds. Everything runs in 480p, 16:9 and at 60 frames. Even so, the graphics definitely lack detail in areas.

10 Sound

One of the best soundtracks ever created. Sound effects, meanwhile, are perfectly punchy and well-suited to the characters and environments.

9.5 Gameplay

Tight control, more balanced character move sets, new final smashes and more. We're not particularly fond of the single-player mode, but multiplayer is so good we just don't care.

10 Lasting Appeal

Destined to be played for years thanks to spectacular offline and online multiplayer modes. One of the great four-player games of all time.

9.5 OVERALL / IGN Editors Choice Award

Incredible

Will it actually be available on Sunday, or is that just the release date/shipping date?

From my time at Gamestop, I'll tell you nothing ships on Sundays. And Nintendo is the only one who likes to use Sundays as a street date (most companies use Tuesdays, same day as new release movies).

No, your store of choice will receive the game sometime this week. It might be in their stock room right now (although tomorrow afternoon is more likely), just waiting for Sunday to roll around.

Zelda on Wii did not track the remote movements. Swinging the remote was akin to a button press, with a canned animation.

Edited by Gaijin

Zelda on Wii did not track the remote movements. Swinging the remote was akin to a button press, with a canned animation.

That's actually what I said. Sorry for the poor wording, what I wrote could easily be read as "Force Unleashed doesn't track the Wiimote's motion, which Zelda did." Read it instead as "Force Unleashed, like Zelda, doesn't track the Wiimote's motion."

I ate at a Red Robin that's in the same plaza as my local Gamestop, so I swung by to see if I had to wait until Sunday morning to pick up Brawl, or if they were doing a midnight launch. Somehow, I got roped into doing their Smash Bros tournament. On top of that, tonight we spring forward in the Eastern Time Zone. This means that I'll be up late tonight, probably being humiliated by some 11 year old, only to have to get up early tomorrow morning for breakfast at my parents' house.

On the plus side, if I somehow miraculously beat a store, district, region, then nation full of people who play Smash Bros. much more than I, I hear that part of the grand prize is the entire Wii library thus far. That'd be pretty sweet.