The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

This discussion has me wanting to pull down that little guy and sell him now. The only thing stopping me is that it has our company's credit card info on it for the store plus my and other people's user names on it.

Is there a way to erase all that stuff, like a "format", that will return the console to day 1 out of the box nothing on it status?

In the same breath, we have a few virtual console games on it, can we put those on an SD card, then format the system and still be able to access those games off the SD card when the system is back up after being formatted? Or does the system format, if it is possible, erase the ability to play those purchased virtual console games?

I believe that there's an option in the settings mode that will reformat the system's memory, back to a factory default.

AFAIK, the Virtual Console stuff is hardware-specific. If you save the data to an SD card, I know for a fact that it's no no go on another Wii console. If the hardware ID is static, then you can format the Wii, then copy the VC data back from the SD card (you can't actually play games directly from the SD card, something about Nintendo not wanting you to fill the Wii with every game you ever bought), then it might work.

Then again, the Wii might randomly generate hardware ID like Friend Codes (or the Friend Code is the hardware ID). I know that Nintendo says that if you download something and delete it, you can re-download it. It wouldn't make much sense to format the Wii back to a factory state, only to have people downloading all the stuff you paid for before you sold it for free. If that's the case, format the Wii, and the games would be gone for good, even if you saved them to an SD card.

I don't have a Wii, but you should be able to remove your shopping information from the Wii Shop Channel Settings. And like Mike said, you should be able to wipe out the system memory with the Format Wii System Memory under Wii Options.

I pretty sure the reason you can't save Virtual Console games to SD cards is due to DRM licensing.

My bad, misread your post. I thought you wanted to save your VC games to an SD card for future use on another console, which would not be allowed due to DRM. But if you want to save them to an SD card, format the Wii, then reload the VC games from your SD card back onto the same Wii then that should work.

Hopefully in the next month or so Ill be cramming my shelf with some Wii games since last yars stuff will be marked down for the holidays and a few good games will appear at the same time. I was reccomened to not only get GH3 but zack and wiki, manhunt2 and mario galaxies.

But from the sounds of it, Ill get a 360 for christmas.

Funny, Wiis been here almost a year, and its still hard to get.

i think I saw 1 Wii 30 miles from me, first time in 6 months.

1UP gives Super Mario Galaxy 9.5/10.

In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero. Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.

I'm waiting for the Wii to get cheap at this point. I still like 10x more Virtual Console games than Wii games, and I'm not paying $250 to re-play stuff I played years ago. Mario G alone isn't worth it. Maybe 4 years from now, when Wii's are 99 bucks and include Mario Galaxy and Metroid 3 as pack ins...

Cruisin on the Wii.

I'm curious what some of you guys think. Is the problem here that Midway isn't getting any decent resolution shots or movies out of this game or is this game indeed just barely above N64 quality? The Rush games on the N64 looked almost as good as this and those were from 10 years ago!

My brother is talking about getting a Wii for Christmas, in part because of his kids, but I've been trying to persuade him otherwise and going with a 360.

Does the 360 have many "kid friendly" games? All I see with PS3 and 360 is blood and guts type games, whereas the Wii has a lot more games for the younger generations (that are still fun for adults to play too).

And what is it with people and this need for ultra high graphic games? Isn't playing a game mostly about game play? Graphics are secondary since the game needs to be fun first and foremost.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

I'm sure there are a few "kid friendly" games from third party developers, I can't recall but I think Bibleman is on the next gens, or will be XD

I just picked up GH3 for the Wii, I'm enjoying it, it'll take a litle time to get use too since I haven't touched a guitar controler in almost 2 years...but I'll have fun in no time once one of my buddies pops on.

And what is it with people and this need for ultra high graphic games? Isn't playing a game mostly about game play? Graphics are secondary since the game needs to be fun first and foremost.

Cramming waggle control into ports of games from other systems doesn't count as "great gameplay." Plenty of pretty games on the 360 have gorgeous graphics AND are really fun to play.

to me graphics really don't have to be top knotch, I care about controls and storyline. If there's no story and the controls aren't tight, I don't care about the game one bit and lose interest.

I could give less of a nut buster if MGS4 has the best graphics you could push on the PS3, if the controls are too complex or not tight enough and the storyline is nill or far too complex to understand, it's not a good game.

Super Mario Galaxy reviews so far.

I smell GAME OF THE YEAR folks.

Gamespot: 9.5/10

IGN: 9.7/10

1UP.com: 9.5/10

Deeko.com: 10/10

GamePro 5/5

GamesTM 9/10

GamePro Germany: 94%

Famitsu: 38/40

Super Mario Galaxy reviews so far.

I smell GAME OF THE YEAR folks.

Gamespot: 9.5/10

IGN: 9.7/10

1UP.com: 9.5/10

Deeko.com: 10/10

GamePro 5/5

GamesTM 9/10

GamePro Germany: 94%

Famitsu: 38/40

Gamerankings.com has it at 96.5%, but that's only with 10 reviews. Bioshock is at 95.3% with 83 reviews. And although Mass Effect only has one review in, that leaves in at 97.5% Orange Box is clocking in at 96.1 with 36 reviews.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Super Mario Galaxy, but I don't see it winning Game of the Year on any list except maybe Best Wii game or Best Action-Platformer.

How long is the gift card offer going to last?

Im my case don't think it will be worth to travel there all the same. I'd end up spending close to that on gas (with these prices) for the round trip due to how far the local TRU is at.

Edited by Effect

How long is the gift card offer going to last?

Im my case don't think it will be worth to travel there all the same. I'd end up spending close to that on gas (with these prices) for the round trip due to how far the local TRU is at.

Try their online website they'll ship it to you. Don't know about the GC either, got too many games to finish yet.

Try their online website they'll ship it to you. Don't know about the GC either, got too many games to finish yet.

Got it but haven't played it yet...I price matched TRU at circuit city...that way I get a $25 GIFT card that I'm more likely to use....plus the wii blaster comes out next week from what I've heard. Gotta get 2 or 3 of them.

I'm waiting for the Wii to get cheap at this point. I still like 10x more Virtual Console games than Wii games, and I'm not paying $250 to re-play stuff I played years ago. Mario G alone isn't worth it. Maybe 4 years from now, when Wii's are 99 bucks and include Mario Galaxy and Metroid 3 as pack ins...

Honeslty the DS has been out for about three years while and the only price cut there is about $30, and thats off the previous gen. Nintendo hardley ever issues any price cuts since they know their prices are more then reasonable.

$250 for the Wii is a steal too, I see no reason to complain over that price either. By the time the Wii is $99 (Which would be like never) you would have wasted all the time and money invested in even considering the sytem, which would be a bigger loss then waiting for that price drop.

Sony etc systems don't drop much. Nintendos do. I came THIS close (and should have) to buying a MISB revised NES from TRU for 30 bucks. N64's were 99 after a while (funky colors though), and GC's have been 99 for a long while. GC launched at 200, went to 150 in less than a year, and 100 in less than 2 years.

Sony etc systems don't drop much. Nintendos do. I came THIS close (and should have) to buying a MISB revised NES from TRU for 30 bucks. N64's were 99 after a while (funky colors though), and GC's have been 99 for a long while. GC launched at 200, went to 150 in less than a year, and 100 in less than 2 years.

Sony drops their prices, Nintendo doesnt.

Only reason why the price of the GC is cause it lacked to create much competition at all.

The regular DS is priced at $100, while the lite is at $130. The value of the regular DS should have went down, the model is really outdated.

Hell even New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and those other games are still priced at $35 and Nintendo doesn't even bother to cut the price down a bit. And they have been out for the longest time. <_<

Nintendo won't drop the price of the Wii because it knows they are kicking everyones ass right now. You can go into any store and find PS3 and 360 but only some of them have Wii's and they are constantly running out and having to get more. Most places I go have tons of other consoles on the shelf. Why lower your price when you can't even keep them in stock at the price they are at?

Why lower your price when you can't even keep them in stock at the price they are at?

Quoted for emphasis. The Wii is unlikely to drop in price until sales begin to slack, and the competition begins to catch up. This is also why the DS has not seen a significant price drop. The PS2 didn't see much in the way of price drops for a long time, and even now costs more than a Gamecube did several years ago. Why drop the price when you're outselling everyone else?

On the other hand, this is also why the Gamecube dropped so drastically in price. It was so far behind everyone else, that Nintendo had to make it as appealing as possible. This isn't as painful for Nintendo to do as it is for other companies, as Nintendo always seems to manage to drop their price while still selling for a profit, whereas Sony and Microsoft always sell at a loss until very late in the game.

That last part is very important, this is why we're unlikely to see the PS3 come down in price very quickly. Sony is already selling it for as much of a loss as they can afford.

That last part is very important, this is why we're unlikely to see the PS3 come down in price very quickly. Sony is already selling it for as much of a loss as they can afford.

You're right, Sony is selling the PS3 for a huge loss right now, but I do believe that another PS3 price cut is going to come in another 8 - 10 months. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 hits $300 by X-mas '08. My reasoning being that, unlike their competitors, Sony is fighting a two-headed battle with the PS3.

On the videogame side, I believe Sony will come in 3rd or 4th place (behind the Wii, 360, and DS) for the 2nd X-mas season in a row. If this prediction is true, then Sony is going to come under tremendous pressure to right the PS3 ship, hence another pricedrop.

On the Blu-Ray side, HD-DVD is quickly making a comeback with their $100 players. From what I'm reading, $100 HD-DVD players are selling out like Nintendo's Wii. If HD-DVD manages to beat Blu-Ray this Christmas, things are going to look even worse. Sony could probably afford to lose either the videogame war or the Blu-Ray war, but not both. And since the PS3 is playing a huge part in pushing Blu-Ray, I believe Sony's going to drop the price to help win one or both battles.

As for Nintendo, they're laughing all the way to the bank. At $250, I'm certain they're selling the Wii for a very nice profit, after all the Wii is simply an overclocked Gamecube with 500mb of flash memory. They could easily afford to drop the Wii pricetag, but right now they have absolutely no reason to. And when push comes to shove, Nintendo will be in a position where they can drop the Wii pricetag while still selling it for a profit. B))

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Well lastnight when I was buying my new PSP, a mother came in begging for information on the Wii to the clerk and he said "Sorry, we haven't had any Wii's stay in stock over 3 hours when we get them, and it's becoming pretty rare. I don't think we'll even have many coming on friday."

Which is true, last year that store had ZERO Wii's when they advertised they would...I had made a huge stink about it to their corperate office....heh course it took 2 months for them to respond back to the copy of the ad with just a "Sorry you snooze you loose".

The mother got pretty depressed and walked out sllllloooowly.