The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

Any ideas on how they're handling the audio portions of TurboGrafx-CD games? I haven't downloaded Gate of Thunder because I'm afraid that the awesome soundtrack of this game may be missing.

Nah, thanks to aggresive compression CD games can retain their full soundtracks. Castlevania SOTN was about 95mb on the 360, and if I'm not mistaken SOTN has even more CD music than Gate of Thunder.

Okami for the Wii this spring

fter yesterday's leak gaping hole from the Capcom press event in London, it seemed like all the nifty surprises had been ruined. But wait, one more!

As reported by Eurogamer, Capcom announced at their London media briefing that their critical darling Okami would be making its way onto Wii in Spring 2008. Also worth noting: Quartermann totally called it.

For those uninitiated to the game, the former PlayStation 2-exclusive title was often compared to Zelda for its combination of action, platforming and puzzles, and saw the hero Amaterasu painting brush strokes on the screen for combat and puzzles. Seems like an obvious fit for Wii, doesn't it? There will also be motion-controlled attacks.

We have a man on the floor of the London event, so as soon as the embargo lifts, you'll hear all the details from him.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163761

Okami for the Wii this spring

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163761

Meh. I think that Okami had a really interesting style, story, and art direction, but was weak in the area of gameplay. Overall, I might be a minority, but I didn't care for it. I'd rather the Wii got some fresh new games than PS2 ports with new waggle controls.

The only time in the last few months I turned on the Wii was to get SFII, Fatal Fury, and Art of Fighting. Turns out what I really wanted was FF2(w/Mai Shiranui) and AoF2(w/Yuri's 100 bitch slaps).

I'll turn the Wii back on for Wii games(not VC) when Okami and Super Smash show up in stores.

Really? I've been playing a lot of Metroid Prime 3 since it came out. Though I'm disappointed at how the different areas are separated as different planets. One of the joys of the previous Metroid games was being able to find multiple routes through each level to other levels. As a result, the levels feel smaller and more isolated. Other than that, though, it's fantastic.

Really? I've been playing a lot of Metroid Prime 3 since it came out. Though I'm disappointed at how the different areas are separated as different planets. One of the joys of the previous Metroid games was being able to find multiple routes through each level to other levels. As a result, the levels feel smaller and more isolated. Other than that, though, it's fantastic.

I found a copy of Metroid Prime 3 used the week it came out for $30, picked it up, and put it in my Wii once to make sure that it worked. After that, I forgot I even owned it.

I really need to stress, I don't think that the Wii is a bad system at all... but I think the newness of it and the infatuation with the Wiimote waggle kinda wore off. Now, given a choice of the Wii's Gamecube graphics in 480p with Dolby Pro Logic and waggle controls, or the 360's HD visuals and Dolby Digital and a good old gamepad, I'm finding that I'll often take an average 360 game over a great Wii game 9 times out of 10.

I bought a Wii for my office and we all played it quite a lot when we first had it. Many an hour were wasted bowling. Then I bought RE4 for it and played that quite a bit. Now it just sits there. We have not even turned it on in months. There are just no games out for it right now that "fit" what people want at the office. Plus the "allure" of it has worn off... the gimmick is no longer attractive. About the only thing will be that Resident Evil shooter game that is supposed to come out next month. After that... who knows.

Meh. I think that Okami had a really interesting style, story, and art direction, but was weak in the area of gameplay. Overall, I might be a minority, but I didn't care for it. I'd rather the Wii got some fresh new games than PS2 ports with new waggle controls.

I'll agree with some of that. I mean I loved Okami but the gameplay was kinda shallow and the game itself too easy. Nothing wrong with a stress free game though lol. Okami is still one of my favorite games in the last 10 years.

some more news on Okami for the Wii. Red Dawn is handling the port

As revealed yesterday, Capcom officially announced a port of Okami for the Wii at its Gamers Day event in London this week. However, what didn't leak ahead of the embargo is that Ready at Dawn, developer of Daxter and the forthcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus for PSP, is behind the Wii port. No footage of the Wii version was shown at the event, nor did Capcom discuss hard details on how the game will utilize the Wii Remote (aside from "physical movements" for attacks and using the pointer for the Celestial Brush).

Following the announcement, Christian Svensson, senior director of research and strategic planning at Capcom, related to us the story of how the noted American developer landed the gig of bringing last year's strikingly beautiful PlayStation 2 action RPG to the Wii. Earlier this year, Capcom had been seeking a developer to bring Okami to the Wii to reach a wider audience, as the PS2 release suffered from shipping amidst the flurry of next-generation consoles. During a chance encounter at the Game Developers Conference in March, the higher-ups at Ready at Dawn expressed their admiration of the title to Svensson, prompting an offer from Capcom within a week.

Whether Okami for Wii will feature additional or expanded content is undecided at this point. Svensson says that Ready at Dawn has been working on the port with little assistance from the original development team, and as such, transferring the original content within a reasonable timeframe takes precedence. However, should Ready at Dawn complete its primary work ahead of the game's expected release in the first half of 2008, it's entirely possible that we'll see a more robust version of Amaterasu's adventure on the Wii.

Edited by dejr8bud

I'll agree with some of that. I mean I loved Okami but the gameplay was kinda shallow and the game itself too easy. Nothing wrong with a stress free game though lol. Okami is still one of my favorite games in the last 10 years.

I guess a lot of that is a "to each his own" kind of thing. I'm VERY critical of gameplay. I love a lot of games that people hate because I like the way they play, and I hate some games that are nearly universally loved because I can't get into the gameplay. I really wanted to like Okami (maybe if it were an anime?), but like I said, I just couldn't get into the gameplay.

For what it's worth, I haven't cared much for Zelda since it went 3D, either.

Not so for me. I liked Zelda even more when it went 3D. Zelda was the only reason why I bought a N64. I just picked up Twilight Princess and I'm having fun with it.

But you're right, it's all about game play.

Well, I think the gameplay, aside from the painting, was pretty similar between Okami and Zelda. So, I know I'm definitely in the minority on the Zelda thing, but that might be why I seem to be a minority on Okami as well.

But that just ges back to the whole "to each his own" thing. I'm not saying that recent Zeldas and Okami are bad games by any means. Just saying that I didn't care for the gameplay, so I didn't enjoy them as much as others.

I was but due to being extremely low on cash I'll either wait until the first full week or november, or not at all.

I really need some good wii games since I'm loosing extreme interest in the system. I haven't even touched Zelda in nearly a year. Hate that damn burning carange, I can't get past it.

The what what? You haven't beat Zelda!?

Nope, haven't really had time, sadly Metroid was the first time I even touched the Wii since....uuuhhhhh I think....June was it that Pokemon Revolutions came out? And that only lasted a week cause it was a rental. Then again in August when Metroid came out, and 2 weeks ago was Bleach, which I grew old to me real quick cause it doesn't save your progress during battles so if I have to stop playing I loose everything I did. Then I put one of those Graphix decals on my console...and right now I got Red Steel so I can finish playing that while my girlfriend is moving into her new place so I wont get to be around her for a while cause she'll be busy.

Almost bought a recharge kit for one of my wiimotes but changed my mind.

Thinking about buying some more Virtual points so I can get Fatal Fury amongst some other games I had my eyes on since spring.

So yeah, like when I first got my Wii back in Christmas 06, my old man and I were playing hard core on Zelda...however my dad lost interest in the game cause he worked his ass off and got home late from the bars and just didn't want to play.

Me on the other hand I think I stopped playing around late Janurary when I had to use my arrows and bummerang to protect that Horse Carage from attack.

I don't really have a steady hand cause I'm a caffine junkie XD so I kind of get those odd twitches when I've stopped drinking for 12 hours.

when I had to use my arrows and bummerang to protect that Horse Carage from attack.

I hated that part. I got so PO'd that I almost launched my Wiimote through the TV (of course it was at 1:00am and I was tired). I went back and played it again and beat that part easily. Z-targeting is the key in that one. You have to get ahead of the carriage and kill that damn bird before it drops a bomb on the last turn. I don't get to play it often but I'm looking for the third mirror piece now.

maybe I'll get some urge to play it like I said, gf's busy moving so I got more free time.

Here's a question, should I trade in my Nintendo DS and DS games to get Guitar Hero 3? or just hold off until payday next monday?

maybe I'll get some urge to play it like I said, gf's busy moving so I got more free time.

Here's a question, should I trade in my Nintendo DS and DS games to get Guitar Hero 3? or just hold off until payday next monday?

It'll cost you more to just get back the DS and those games, keep your investment and just hold off for another paycheck.

Did you guys hear that you can create your own levels in Smash Brothers Brawl?

Seems like not many folks on MW give a shiet.

Sadly I'm not one of them.

Anyone of you pick up Zack and Wiki?

Super Mario Galaxy is a week or so away!

Our office Wii has just sat there for months. No one has even bothered to turn it on since the summer.

I've been thinking of selling it and getting a PS3 for the office... mostly for the Blu Ray player, just like I did for home.

Anyone want a Wii with two remotes/nunchucks and RE4? :ph34r:

Our office Wii has just sat there for months. No one has even bothered to turn it on since the summer.

I've been thinking of selling it and getting a PS3 for the office... mostly for the Blu Ray player, just like I did for home.

Anyone want a Wii with two remotes/nunchucks and RE4? :ph34r:

An office Wii? Where in the heck do you work for? That's sounds like a pretty sweet gig to have game consoles in your office! :D

I work for myself, I own the company. I bought the Wii because it seemed like a fun thing to have in the office for down time and to improve employee morale. Everyone here was falling all over each other to bowl when I first brought it in, even the non gamers and the girls... now people just ignore it. I think that is the most telling problem with the Wii... it's all gimmick with no "staying power" for the casual fan, who this console seems to be aimed at. I myself downloaded a few games to it and bought RE4 for it and found it to be interesting but it just doesn't have the "must play" stuff for it like my 360. I consider this Wii to be just like my PS3 now... no good games so it just sits there... except my PS3 has the benefit of being a Blu Ray player.

If you're so inclined, you may just want to raffle it at the office or hold some kind of contest and give it to the winner. As it gets closer to the holidays I'm sure one of your employees would like to give it to a child or use it to keep the family entertained.

Or you can just sell it on ebay towards the end of November / early December when the shopping frenzy hits high gear. I don't know about your area, but in the metropolitan Washington DC/Baltimore area Wii's are still scarce. My store currently sells a bundle of a the Wii + 2 free games of your choice for for $400. The really sad part is that these bundles consistently sell out :wacko:

This discussion has me wanting to pull down that little guy and sell him now. The only thing stopping me is that it has our company's credit card info on it for the store plus my and other people's user names on it.

Is there a way to erase all that stuff, like a "format", that will return the console to day 1 out of the box nothing on it status?

In the same breath, we have a few virtual console games on it, can we put those on an SD card, then format the system and still be able to access those games off the SD card when the system is back up after being formatted? Or does the system format, if it is possible, erase the ability to play those purchased virtual console games?