Remastered STAR TREK TOS

B-52 GUNNER

I'm somewhat mixed about these new CG effects versions. I like the concept of going back to the original prints & restoring them, but the inner purist in me hates the idea of re-recording the music & doing the ship scenes in CG.

Though to be honest, I'd rather they go back into every series in give them II-VI movie style uniforms, instead of the pajama's they wear in every TV series.

Actually... rerecording the soundtrack - and if possible, getting the original actors back into the ADR booth to redo their voices - is pretty consistantely done with these things. Advances in sound technology, or so I have been told.

Actually... rerecording the soundtrack - and if possible, getting the original actors back into the ADR booth to redo their voices - is pretty consistantely done with these things. Advances in sound technology, or so I have been told.

The problem is that Shatner's voice is pretty girly nowadays. And two of 'em are dead.

I don't see any need to re-record voices. I've never thought to myself: "Boy, Spock's voice is scratchy! But that light bulb that's supposed to be a ship is just perfect!"

I've been watching "Balance of Terror". Fortunately, it's not as bad as I feared. Several shots do look like the old models and not cartoonih CGI (though one shot of the updated Bird of Prey was absolutely atrocious - bad paneling, overly dramatic lighting, it looked horrible).

It still doesn't have the thumbs up from me, but I probably won't batty much about it. That's provided that this is exactly what the rest will be like. It's not bad, but I'll hardly be singing their praises like they expect. They're not all that prettier. They have changed some movement. it is a bit smoother.

Still, I don't get why they couldn't have just restore the old effects like the rest of it. Why bother with this if they're not changing much besides a bit more detailing? I'm still guessing that it gives them an angel to market it, and that they wanted to redo the planets. Blending the effects probably wouldn't have worked or they figured, "We've come this far..."

The purist in me is crying out blasphemy. But, I'm wondering why they're not going farther that just changing the effects and re-recording the music. Why not digitally remove & replace the sets, in order to have a better architectural continuity with Ent & NG? (I know this would cost a fortune, but what the hey!)

The purist in me is crying out blasphemy. But, I'm wondering why they're not going farther that just changing the effects and re-recording the music. Why not digitally remove & replace the sets, in order to have a better architectural continuity with Ent & NG? (I know this would cost a fortune, but what the hey!)

They said explicitly that they didn't want to do that, as it'd be an insult in their minds to Matt Jeffries, the original set and ship designer, and that it'd end up being too distracting to see a shiny-new high-tech Enterprise-style set with the '60s velour TOS uniforms. Presumably, it's also the reason that the SFX are so restrained. According to CBS and the Trek team, the only changes (save one) will be to space effects or to background mattes (and those are just to give them a bit more dimensionality). And, actually, I've noticed that not all the music IMHO is re-recorded, only some key pieces.

The Constitution-class bridge from the Mirror Universe eps in ENT was great. It was the original design, but done to current standards. Red and green and yellow displays all over, yet would look at home on a Galaxy-class.

It's not the design that's dated, sheerly the materials and budget they had to work with.

Makes me wonder how a "new" TOS uniform would look. Same design, just different materials, etc.

I've been watching "Balance of Terror". Fortunately, it's not as bad as I feared. Several shots do look like the old models and not cartoonih CGI (though one shot of the updated Bird of Prey was absolutely atrocious - bad paneling, overly dramatic lighting, it looked horrible).

It still doesn't have the thumbs up from me, but I probably won't batty much about it. That's provided that this is exactly what the rest will be like. It's not bad, but I'll hardly be singing their praises like they expect. They're not all that prettier. They have changed some movement. it is a bit smoother.

Still, I don't get why they couldn't have just restore the old effects like the rest of it. Why bother with this if they're not changing much besides a bit more detailing? I'm still guessing that it gives them an angel to market it, and that they wanted to redo the planets. Blending the effects probably wouldn't have worked or they figured, "We've come this far..."

I think the problem was that they intend to broadcast this in HD when available and while it was pretty easy to take the old film stock and do an HD transfer for the live action shots, the effects shots were probably of lower quality because of all of the composting work. If they didn't have the original elements available (quite unlikely, IIRC it was considered pretty remarkable that George Lucas saved all of the effects elements for the SW trilogy) you would have had to settle for beautiful HD interior and live action shots and worse than SD FX shots. This way they get to air the whole thing in HD and fix any little niggling errors while they're at it. IMHO they could have spent more time fixing some ship movement issues but over all it's a pretty good job.

Nied, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Going back to the original master film and upgrading it to HD is pretty simple. '60's era composite shots...?

So, we're getting a renewed lease on life, upgradeable to the HD era, and promotion for the next movie. Damn, wish it was available here in Japan. I would like to see this series once more.

The Constitution-class bridge from the Mirror Universe eps in ENT was great. It was the original design, but done to current standards. Red and green and yellow displays all over, yet would look at home on a Galaxy-class.

It's not the design that's dated, sheerly the materials and budget they had to work with.

Makes me wonder how a "new" TOS uniform would look. Same design, just different materials, etc.

You can see all of this in Trials and Tribble-ations, the DS9 episode. The production team did a seamless job piecing the old in with the new.

makes me wonder what a sidestory series placed in the TOS era would look like.

There aren't that many series placed around the TOS time- just a lot of stuff happing around the TNG time.

I agree-a sidestory in the TOS era would be cool.It's a big galaxy-with 11 more Constitution Class Starships "To Boldly Go".

Just no frakin' time-travel,time war,or holodeck accident stories,PLEASE!There has gotta be more stories then those available.

• 1 year later...

I searched for a Star Trek: The Next Generation thread and couldn't find one. Anyways, its related to the topic discussed here so I think this thread will do. I've been reading the reviews of the complete series release of TNG that are posted here:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Next-Gener...2107&sr=1-2

Reading that it sounds like many believe there is a high-def version of TNG in the works. Is that true? I'm wondering if that is even possible. TOS was filmed on 35mm film. I believe much of TNG was filmed on VHS. As such is there even a higher resolution master that one could go back to?

I ask because I'm a big fan of TNG and I'm tempted to pick up this set but if a nicer release is in the works I might hold off.

Any other TNG fans here? My search results make me wonder...

Thanks,

Carl

Retired fan here. I have to say that I'm glad I didn't pick up the original releases of TNG on dvd for over $700+...

TNG was apparently recorded to film, but all of it's post production was done on video. It means the SFX will need to be done from a fresh transfer from the original film elements (if they exist) and it won't be cheap. Given the length of the series, it makes it dubious. Things in favor of an HD remaster are the the number of reused shots (especially of the Enterprise-D).

I only had one of the original red/blue/yellow sets on DVD but the price of this remastered TOS on HDDVD is making me think thrice...

Yeah, especially the female uniforms ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

I'm still pretty fond of TOS uniforms, but I really liked the movie uniforms a whole lot (except for the TMP ones).

I got the movie set, but I refuse to let you guys sucker me back into ST fandom with TV sets!

& the movie 2-6 uniforms were the best out of all ST. It's a shame they didn't stick with those, and & with pajama's for TNG. I don't care if it was a pacifist starfleet, pajama's?

Edited by Keith

Retired fan here. I have to say that I'm glad I didn't pick up the original releases of TNG on dvd for over $700+...

Me too. And I'm still not sure I want to pick up this set. If HD is coming that is what I'd want. And even if it isn't I think the price is likely to drop more. I'm also not very happy about the lack of extras that I've read about in some of the reviews. If anyone here is picking up this set I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks,

Carl

The price IS tempting, however with zero extras, a tacky case and an HD version on the way, you can't help but to pass on this set...

and an HD version on the way

Do you KNOW that? That's exactly the comment I've seen elsewhere but I've seen nothing official confirming this. And to be honest I'm still not sure its even possible. Uxi stated "TNG was apparently recorded to film" but elsewhere I've seen others state much of it was recored on VHS. Honestly I don't know and I'm hoping for a HD version but I'm wondering if people just hope an HD version is on the way or if they actually know something. If any official statement has been released could you please point me to it?

Thanks,

Carl