New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Same issue with Babylon 5 and Farscape ( DVD sets are pretty expensive)

I know that the advent of this mass DVD blitz over the past few years has affected certain syndication issues with shows. Syndication ratings take a fat dive when DVD boxed sets come out for a show ( no commercials, no edits, no waiting week to week for the next episode)

Farscape is especially maddening, the episodes are stacked only 2 per disc IIRC. That even makes rental or Netflix a hazy proposition. I would think the idea would be to get your show some exposure and not make just watching the show so prohibitive, then bleed people out later. Star Trek can get away with it, not sure if Farscape has such a fanbase where it can.

408535[/snapback]

Didn't they release B5 as season box sets? That's a decent deal, no?

Mind you, they are pretty expensive ....

:(

Yes, Nemesis was that bad and unremarkable.  Nemsis took a good basic concept (Romulans vs Federation) and mashed it with Wrath of Khan, and failed miserably.  It's a real shame that the TNG crew had to go out on a whimper like that film.  At least ST VI was worthy of being a Star Trek film.  IMO, Nemesis was like someone's bad fanfic that was green lighted.

408524[/snapback]

Don't forget the part where Picard decides to RAM the enemy spaceship as a final gesture in a starship battle!!! How fracking lame is that?!?!?

:o

408610[/snapback]

I actually enjoyed that battle between the Enterprise and the Scimitar, as I love watching the "good guys" get beat up and around. I had sorely hoped that the Federation task-force that was waiting to assist Picard could have appeared, but alas.

Also, Nemesis wasn't nearly as bad as Insurrection; that chapter was TOTALLY worthless. A planet of eternal youth? And this affects or relates to the Trek universe how?

Finally, has it been determined that Nemesis was the last TNG film? I can recall interviews with cast and crew being whimsical about Nemesis being the final TNG chapter...

I didn't have a problem with the space battle until Picard decided to ram the other ship. I thought it was just pointless. I thought that when a federation ship was crippled and about to be captured SOP is to self-destruct. Picard has done that before and it was done in ST III. Not "ramming speed!". It would have been a lot more dramatic if they'd destroyed the E (as much as I like the design).

My main beefs with Nemesis were:

1. It's release date. It was released around the same date as one of the LOTR films, virtually insuring that it would flop in it's opening weekend. What was Paramount thinking?

2. Dune buggies? The Federation needs dune buggies? WTF?

3. B4. Just stupid. B4. Just name him "Robot" for frak's sake if you want to insult your audience.

If I remember correctly, in Nemesis, they DID try to self-destruct the ship, but due to battle damage, they couldn't. Thus, they rammed the Scimatar.

Funny, that when Worf wants to do it with the Defiant, it is considered cool, but when Picard actually does it with the Enterprise, it is not. Double standards?

I do think that Nemesis was a good movie, with a great main point. True that I'm not a Star Trek mania-fan, nor do I like pointless no-brainer action movies. Nemesis was a good movie. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. I felt that it recaptured elements of the TV series - mostly the focus on characters, and the lack of big special effects (except for the ramming scene - that is probably as realistic as we are going to get - no "Daedelus Attack" where the attacking ship is undamaged...)

Inssurection was also not bad. Neither was it good, but it wasn't that bad - mostly saved by the theme of the movie.

The big question is, will the producers of the next movie be able to reverse this trend of releasing not bad (but also not the best) movies, and release something better?

The big question is, will the producers of the next movie be able to reverse this trend of releasing not bad (but also not the best) movies, and release something better?

I remember reading somewhere that Rick Berman, longtime producer of the ST franchise at Paramount is no longer associated with ST. So who knows, maybe it will be good? The franchise needs new blood with new ideas. My 2 cents.

:)

If I remember correctly, in Nemesis, they DID try to self-destruct the ship, but due to battle damage, they couldn't.  Thus, they rammed the Scimatar.

Funny, that when Worf wants to do it with the Defiant, it is considered cool, but when Picard actually does it with the Enterprise, it is not.  Double standards?

I do think that Nemesis was a good movie, with a great main point.  True that I'm not a Star Trek mania-fan, nor do I like pointless no-brainer action movies.  Nemesis was a good movie.  Not the best, but definitely not the worst.  I felt that it recaptured elements of the TV series - mostly the focus on characters, and the lack of big special effects (except for the ramming scene - that is probably as realistic as we are going to get - no "Daedelus Attack" where the attacking ship is undamaged...)

Inssurection was also not bad.  Neither was it good, but it wasn't that bad - mostly saved by the theme of the movie.

408794[/snapback]

Hey, no Star Trek movie is as bad as The Voyage Home. Corny dialogue, stupid time-travel plot, stupider "save the whales" plot...

I agree with Insurrection being the dumbest of dumb. A planet of "youth" with only one village composed of at max 5000 people?! Worf getting a pimple?! Picard doing a salsa?! Evil aliens that are dependent on plastic surgery and botox?! Evil admiral that meets his doom via face-stretching?!! Just so lame, I can't even begin to fathom how it got made.

voyage home may have been an obvious attempt at tree hugging rhetoric and it may have been hokey, cheesey and embrassing, but it was all those things in a fun and watchable way. Insurrection was a big pile of poo, steaming pile of poo.

If I remember correctly, in Nemesis, they DID try to self-destruct the ship, but due to battle damage, they couldn't.  Thus, they rammed the Scimatar.

Funny, that when Worf wants to do it with the Defiant, it is considered cool, but when Picard actually does it with the Enterprise, it is not.  Double standards?

I do think that Nemesis was a good movie, with a great main point.  True that I'm not a Star Trek mania-fan, nor do I like pointless no-brainer action movies.  Nemesis was a good movie.  Not the best, but definitely not the worst.  I felt that it recaptured elements of the TV series - mostly the focus on characters, and the lack of big special effects (except for the ramming scene - that is probably as realistic as we are going to get - no "Daedelus Attack" where the attacking ship is undamaged...)

Inssurection was also not bad.  Neither was it good, but it wasn't that bad - mostly saved by the theme of the movie.

408794[/snapback]

Hey, no Star Trek movie is as bad as The Voyage Home. Corny dialogue, stupid time-travel plot, stupider "save the whales" plot...

408855[/snapback]

Just curious - for all of those stating that Insurrection, Nemesis, and other ST films are no good, have any of you seen ST 5: The Final Frontier?

408896[/snapback]

ST V was one of the worst films I've ever seen period. That's what happens when you let Shatner direct. Hopefully they get Nicholas Meyer (ST II & VI) if they do another.

Edited by Skullsixx

Didn't Roddenberry basically disavow ST V? I thought I remember someone saying after it came out (and it was panned universally by critics and ST fans) that it was apocryphal and ST fans could just pretend it didn't really happen.

Does anyone have the DVDs? I heard that Shatner tries to explain his vision of the story in the commentary, but the studio made him cut a lot of scenes because of the budget.

Of course, if no one wants to admit that they ST V on DVD, I'm sure we'll all understand.

Acctually i dont have ST V on DVD but IMO it was a dark time for ST the darkest by a long way. One thing I alway though they should have don ewas a DS9 movie Humungous Dominion battle and a good story line where people acctually die.

Just curious - for all of those stating that Insurrection, Nemesis, and other ST films are no good, have any of you seen ST 5: The Final Frontier?

408896[/snapback]

I didn't think it was that bad. Aside from the fact that god wanted to steal the Enterprise.

And Eugimon, no, the Voyage Home didn't entertain me even a little.

what season of deepspace nine is the trials and tribbleations episode featured in?

I don't want to rent all the seasons just the one with the episode in it.

Edited by mikeszekely

408896[/snapback]

I didn't think it was that bad. Aside from the fact that god wanted to steal the Enterprise.

And Eugimon, no, the Voyage Home didn't entertain me even a little.

what season of deepspace nine is the trials and tribbleations episode featured in?

I don't want to rent all the seasons just the one with the episode in it.

408998[/snapback]

photon > god :lol:

I like nemesis except the begining and the end, they always overloading phasers and data just what like shot at the generator point blank.

JMS and Bryce Zabel's proposal to reboot the Star Trek franchise from Zabel's blog.  A really interesting read:

Re-boot the Universe

409170[/snapback]

that's an interesting read... but I personally don't think the problem with Trek is a muddled past, the problem with trek is the incompetent NOW. Maybe it is mucked up so much where we need to reboot the universe.. I dunno.. I think it's a drastic step though.

that's an interesting read... but I personally don't think the problem with Trek is a muddled past, the problem with trek is the incompetent NOW. Maybe it is mucked up so much where we need to reboot the universe.. I dunno.. I think it's a drastic step though.

It is drastic, but you can't argue with the fact that BSG's reboot has been very successful. With the right cast and writing team (and proposed guest writers), this version sounds to me like it would have been great TV. I think we all have to admit that Trek has been missing something for awhile, and this sounds to me like it would have been worthy of at least a pilot.

You know it would work.

You also know if they wanted just doing a whole series in the alt ST bad universe would also work. Everyone would watch it just for the "oh StarTrek`s all bad and not goody goody" factor alone.

Edited by big F

It runs neck and neck with V. How many fraking times does Data have to rediscover humanity? The worst part is that IF there are any other movies with the TNG cast, Data will once again have to rediscover humanity through B4. As far as I'm concerned, he learned everything he needed to know about humanity after he got to use his photon torpedo on Tasha Yar. :D

The bottom line is that asides from Trek's fans, Star Trek's theme of an utopian human existence traveling through the stars in pretty white ships has no place in the current mindset of the world. I would expect a movie from the cancelled Iraqi-war drama "Over There" to be more successful than anything from the Trek universe...

Okay, maybe Insurrection was THE worst Trek flick of them all ....

:lol:

409382[/snapback]

i dunno star trek 5 and star trek the motion picture were pretty awfull. i cannot even stand sitting through them. insurrection i can stomach Edited by buddhafabio

The bottom line is that asides from Trek's fans, Star Trek's theme of an utopian human existence traveling through the stars in pretty white ships has no place in the current mindset of the world.  I would expect a movie from the cancelled Iraqi-war drama "Over There" to be more successful than anything from the Trek universe...

409403[/snapback]

Uhm... a lot of the rest of the world likes and appreciates the Star Trek image the way that it is. Are you certain you're not generalizing your specific region/country's opinion and applying it to the rest of the world?

So yeah, more SCIENCE FICTION Star Trek would be great, and less SCI-FI Star Trek would be better. Star Trek is a niche-market product, and it's probably best for it to be limited to that niche market.

The bottom line is that asides from Trek's fans, Star Trek's theme of an utopian human existence traveling through the stars in pretty white ships has no place in the current mindset of the world.  I would expect a movie from the cancelled Iraqi-war drama "Over There" to be more successful than anything from the Trek universe...

409403[/snapback]

Uhm... a lot of the rest of the world likes and appreciates the Star Trek image the way that it is. Are you certain you're not generalizing your specific region/country's opinion and applying it to the rest of the world?

So yeah, more SCIENCE FICTION Star Trek would be great, and less SCI-FI Star Trek would be better. Star Trek is a niche-market product, and it's probably best for it to be limited to that niche market.

409488[/snapback]

C'mon, we can't even get people in the same country to get along, let alone with people in other countries. The idea that we're going to venture out into space and, for the most part, encounter peaceful humanoid aliens who share our dream of bettering the galaxy is a pipe-dream. It might have worked in the 60's, but not today.... especially not in a movie. You can get away with stuff like "Data's Day" in a TV series, but conflict moves a movie along. And the best Star Trek movies were the ones with the best villians. Think about it. II, III, VI, and First Contact kicked ass, because they fought Kahn, Klingons, more Klingons, and the Borg. I, V, and Insurrection sucked, because they fought a Voyager probe, a crazy Vulcan and a god who was so un-Almighty that he had to hijack a ship just to leave his planet, and some aliens who were having more plastic surgeries than Pamela Anderson.

I agree that conflict makes for more interesting movies ... as you outlined in your post. But I think part of the appeal of ST for me, was the fact that different people of various races, cultures, ethnic groups, etc. got along and worked as a team. I still like to see that in ST.

My 2 cents.

:)

Uhm... a lot of the rest of the world likes and appreciates the Star Trek image the way that it is.  Are you certain you're not generalizing your specific region/country's opinion and applying it to the rest of the world?

Uhm....Yeah, I'm absolutely sure. In addition to that, I'm 100% correct. How do you know that "alot" of the rest of the world is so in love with 'Trek? Sure, people all over the world are so in love with Star Trek that it's at the forefront of popular entertainment/media today....NOT, and it hasn't been for decades. Are you sure that YOU aren't generalizing your specific region/country's opinion and applying it to the rest of the world?

Furthermore, even if I was generalizing my region and country's opinion to the rest of the world why shouldn't I? America, hate it or love it, sets the pace for the world and I'm sorry that bothers you.

Agent One-gone but not forgotten...

Edited by myk

I'm ignoring this last post, because a) it doesn't contribute to this thread in any way, and b) it's nation-love masturbating only serves to ruin the thread and whatever community there is between the diverse membership of Macross World.

C'mon, we can't even get people in the same country to get along, let alone with people in other countries.

409715[/snapback]

Get? Well, don't force people, and ask them nicely. People are more cooperative when asked diplomatically, then when they are forced.

Now, please, as much fun as going off on tangents and debating semantics is, let's keep this on topic.

My fingers are crossed that the next ST movie will be about B4 becoming Data, and having an extended flashback of the 'photon torpedeo on Tasha Yar.' Or something similar. It is supposed to be an academy movie, right? I see that as "Star Trek does college." We all know what happens in college, right? Beer, wet t-shirts, and mystery substances in the beer glasses. ;)

I'm ignoring this last post, because a) it doesn't contribute to this thread in any way, and b) it's nation-love masturbating only serves to ruin the thread and whatever community there is between the diverse membership of Macross World.
C'mon, we can't even get people in the same country to get along, let alone with people in other countries.

409715[/snapback]

Get? Well, don't force people, and ask them nicely. People are more cooperative when asked diplomatically, then when they are forced.

Now, please, as much fun as going off on tangents and debating semantics is, let's keep this on topic.

My fingers are crossed that the next ST movie will be about B4 becoming Data, and having an extended flashback of the 'photon torpedeo on Tasha Yar.' Or something similar. It is supposed to be an academy movie, right? I see that as "Star Trek does college." We all know what happens in college, right? Beer, wet t-shirts, and mystery substances in the beer glasses. ;)

409784[/snapback]

Oh please lord no... no more of data learning what it is to be human.. they did this story to DEATH already. It is quickly becoming ridiculous how many times TNG retreads the same stories.

I'm all for the next movie being a proper send off for the TNG crew but please, no more Data-centric stories. There's great potential between picard and riker for drama... one that the tv writers had been building up for years.. let's see a proper resolution to that story.

We all know what happens in college, right?  Beer, wet t-shirts, and mystery substances in the beer glasses.  ;)

409784[/snapback]

:o

Must have gone to the wrong college

Darn it

Still think the whole reboot the universe thing would work.

It works for Doctor Who over here in blighty. Ten times the doctor has regenerated and each time the BBC uses it as a way of updating the Tardis and the various baddies who keep comming back for another lets take over the universes atempt (Daleks and Cybermen) along with the Ten People who have played the doctor this has to be the first example of a rebooted universe. Same story only different people different sets and slightly different agendas. There are dozens of Sci Fi films and dramas that have been remade and thus could be classed as rebooted, I dont need to list em but e.g Superman, Battlestar Galactica, Lost in Space, Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, you get the idea. Nearlyy of these was slated by the Die hards and then embraced by them and new fans later on.

I still think that it has a potential to be great. ST Has a long history and is still emulated today in modern SciFi`s.

I hope that it will have all the polish of a modern high budget special effects bonaza with the grittyness of one of those weekly drama things on T.V Im thinking CSI or 24 or Bstar Glactica for example. Add that to the original Star Trek that we all know and Bam you may just have it.

The die hards may not like it at first but they will come round in the end. After all they hated TNG when it first aired but it still went on to be the longest airing of the whole franchise.

Drama and Sci Fi is one of the American medias best assets. Come on guys dont dissapoint us.

Edited by big F

Oh please lord no... no more of data learning what it is to be human.. they did this story to DEATH already.

They already made this movie with Robin Williams, it was called Bicentennial Man!

I didn't see it though .....

:p:p:p

After all they hated TNG when it first aired but it still went on to be the longest airing of the whole franchise.

If we're talking original airings, TNG, DS9, and Voyager all went seven seasons long. So, it's not exactly the longest-running series of the whole franchise.

But your point is right: TNG and DS9 really didn't hit their stride until about Season 3 for both shows.

I woudn't mind a proper TNG movie send-off. But if turns out to be another Picard and Data show, with a smattering of "cool" lines and pointless comic-relief for Worf, and jack-nothing for the remainder of the crew, you can count me out.

As for a reboot, I'm still resistant to the idea. Unfortunately, they screwed the pooch with the Romulans (Instead of exploring one of the most underutilized villians in all of Trek, they instead create the REMANS!! <_<). But despite this and all the screw-ups some of the recent writers (and Berman) have done to this franchise, I still don't agree that a reboot is the way to go.

There's practically a whole century's worth of backstory in the Star Trek universe. Why just dumped that whole rich tapestry? Sure, I wouldn't mind getting rid of all the techno-babble, the alien-of-the-week mentality, and the bland re-hashed plots. But the characters and the history? There's still some potential in there.