Official Transformers Super Thread 3

*sighs*

Can we move on from Masterpiece Starscream and where everyone thinks the design compromises should land?

Behold Pretender Starscream! They found a way to NOT throw tailfins away while still getting a semi-cartoon-accurate design! And the solution sucks!

412936[/snapback]

Ouch...check out his smashed cockpit canopy. >_<

I want to be excited about transformers, but I'm not. It would be great if it was llike a rated R horror movie. i mean, the first half could be megatron and co ripping hell out of the humans on earth.

"their bodys are so weak!"

i dunno, this slew of pg13 nostalgia/geek franchise masturbatory movies just arn't doing it for me. they're all so bland and boring.

even if the trailers look good, you just know the movie will not be edgy because it will be pg13 and dull.. i don't mean boring but i mean.. it won't have teeth.

I want to be excited about transformers, but I'm not.  It would be great if it was llike a rated R horror movie.  i mean, the first half could be megatron and co ripping hell out of the humans on earth. 

i dunno, this slew of pg13 nostalgia/geek franchise masturbatory movies just arn't doing it for me.  they're all so bland and boring.

even if the trailers look good, you just know the movie will not be edgy because it will be pg13 and dull..  i don't mean boring but i mean..  it won't have teeth.

413016[/snapback]

Well, this summer we have Pirates 2. Then next summer we have Spidey 3.

Huh? I don't really follow that line iof reasoning, unless you're suggesting that you only like Rated R horror movies and everything else is bland and boring?

I want to be excited about transformers, but I'm not.  It would be great if it was llike a rated R horror movie.  i mean, the first half could be megatron and co ripping hell out of the humans on earth. 

i dunno, this slew of pg13 nostalgia/geek franchise masturbatory movies just arn't doing it for me.  they're all so bland and boring.

even if the trailers look good, you just know the movie will not be edgy because it will be pg13 and dull..  i don't mean boring but i mean..  it won't have teeth.

413016[/snapback]

Reading these comments, I can not but help think of this comic

post-332-1151797232_thumb.gif

Alt. Mirage is about the only release i'm really looking forward to in the Alternators line. 
just when I thought my interest in BT's had ended.. sold. I'm getting that fo' sho'.

412671[/snapback]

Actually Guppy, TakaraTomy has moved away from making their Alternator Mold Transformers in Die-cast i really don't know what kind of Mirage to expect from them because of this (if at all), but I'm hoping they'll come to their senses when this TF:Kiss idea bombs and move back to making Real Metal Binaltechs with Mirage as one of their first new releases. Here's hoping.

412704[/snapback]

Ahh... of course. After I got Prowl and Grimlock I stopped paying attention. Now you mention it, I was wondering why I hadn't seen any more BT releases recently, only that KISS rel-release crap. On the bright side, Mirage will be a lot cheaper. I've been religiously buying them all in diecast.

For the sheer joy of derailing the current transformer topic, behold, megatron's ass gun!!!

412965[/snapback]

I hope he doesn't fart....

413016[/snapback]

The last R-rated movie I saw would've been a lot better as a PG-13. They injected profanity in as many random lines of dialog as they could for the sake of getting an R, and it made for some comically bad lines.

For the sheer joy of derailing the current transformer topic, behold, megatron's ass gun!!!

412965[/snapback]

I want to be excited about transformers, but I'm not.   It would be great if it was llike a rated R horror movie.  i mean, the first half could be megatron and co ripping hell out of the humans on earth. 

413016[/snapback]

The last R-rated movie I saw would've been a lot better as a PG-13. They injected profanity in as many random lines of dialog as they could for the sake of getting an R, and it made for some comically bad lines.

413069[/snapback]

I'm moderatly curious what movie this was.

Does anyone have the knock-off version of the Constructicons? Specifically, the green ones in the G1 series, with 6 figures that forms Devestator? I've been eyeing the KO version off of eBay - can anyone comment on the quality? I don't expect perfection, but if it's complete crap I'll pass.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Edited by Vermillion21

412965[/snapback]

413016[/snapback]

413069[/snapback]

413098[/snapback]

Was called "Inside Man".

About a bank robbery. Neat movie.

And I guess the lines weren't really bad as much as they were blatantly out of place.

412965[/snapback]

I want to be excited about transformers, but I'm not.   It would be great if it was llike a rated R horror movie.  i mean, the first half could be megatron and co ripping hell out of the humans on earth. 

413016[/snapback]

413069[/snapback]

413098[/snapback]

Was called "Inside Man".

About a bank robbery. Neat movie.

And I guess the lines weren't really bad as much as they were blatantly out of place.

413130[/snapback]

I saw that movie, I didn't think it was this bad. I was thinking this was some cheap horror flick where people cuss every 4 seconds to cover for the lack of worthwhile dialogue.

I saw that movie, I didn't think it was this bad. I was thinking this was some cheap horror flick where people cuss every 4 seconds to cover for the lack of worthwhile dialogue.

413134[/snapback]

*shrugs*

Most of the swearing felt out of place to me.

I never said they were covering up a bad movie, just that they sprinkled profanity in at random to push it from PG-13 to R.

I'm generally a pretty good judge of what'll be a bad movie. The last really big dud I miscalled was probably The Core. And that was so bad it WAS funny.

Hey vermillion,

When you asked about the constructicon K/Os did you mean the chinese K/Os with the 6 constructicons on a reddish backing card?

If you did then i can give you some info since I bought them about 3 years ago.....

THEY SUCK <_<

Mine were awful. I had to nail polish or shave down a lot of the connector parts to get them to fit and most of the pull-out arms on the constructicons were hopeless. Bonecrusher's legs were also attached the wrong way around straight out of the packaging.

Don't expect a good fit or a very stable devastator.

I hope my info relates to the K/O that you're watching on ebay. It's possible that my specimen was a just a once-off bad piece and that most of the K/Os are fine but i thought i shoud warn you just in case.

Regards

Dave

here's my main problem with rated pg13 in a war movie....

there are certain things and certain situations you know WON'T happen.

you know most of the good guys won't die, you know nothing will happen that will make saying the F word and S word justified. you know the violence will be dull and unconvincing.

I can almost garontee this movie will be less violent than the animated TF movie. sure the cartoon was for kids. fine.

those kids are grown now. if this is chronocling the original transformers, all the fans of it are adults. we want an adult story line.

Our heros cant grow with us?

its the same thing like when the bevis and butthead movie got made. bevis and butthead were edgy on tv. they had that "i can't beleive they did that on tv" feeling when you watched it. they were bad boys.

when they made the movie. it was so pointless. bevis and butthead on the silverscreen was humdrum, didn't push anything, was boring and bland.

a saturday morning cartoon about war will have to be rather soft and overly happy to not scare the bejesus out of children. a live action MOVIE about war well be nutered if its a sappy kids show.

If i see a trailer with the production value shown in the teaser, and the only thing showcased in that teaser was angry violence, i want the movie to back it up with some good hardcore robot waring.

Its the same with Xmen, i didn't go to the movie to see violent ass wolverine get his claw slashes artisticly and bloodlessly hidden by the camera. (and thats a comic book for kids! which was MORE violent than the movie)

aaaaand thats my point, such as it is.

edit for scentance fragment!

Edited by KingNor

Hey vermillion,

When you asked about the constructicon K/Os did you mean the chinese K/Os with the 6 constructicons on a reddish backing card?

If you did then i can give you some info since I bought them about 3 years ago.....

THEY SUCK  <_<

Mine were awful. I had to nail polish or shave down a lot of the connector parts to get them to fit and most of the pull-out arms on the constructicons were hopeless. Bonecrusher's legs were also attached the wrong way around straight out of the packaging.

Don't expect a good fit or a very stable devastator.

I hope my info relates to the K/O that you're watching on ebay. It's possible that my specimen was a just a once-off bad piece and that most of the K/Os are fine but i thought i shoud warn you just in case.

Regards

Dave

413166[/snapback]

Thanks for the comments Dave - appreciate it. Yes, those sound like they were the same KO toys I was asking about. I've seen numerous eBay listings (at cheap prices) for KO versions of Devestator, Defensor, Superion, Menasor, and Bruticus. Many of them have the wrong color, some of their 'kits' include the wrong figures, and look cheap - but the Constructicons looked semi-like the original TF G1 toys. Sigh if they suck really bad - guess I'll pass on 'em.

I guess you get exactly what you pay for 'eh?

Thanks again for the advice mate.

Edited by Vermillion21

The KO Constructicons DO suck, big time. I bought a set for my son since he's always going on about my G1 originals, figuring "if he breaks them they're only $5.00." Well, he did break a few and he wasn't even being rough with them. They just kinda fell apart during a transformation. Not to mention they had this sticky adhesive all over them, the stickers fell off and they didn't fit together very well.

I guess they aren't even worth the $5 I paid for them.

The KO Constructicons DO suck, big time. I bought a set for my son since he's always going on about my G1 originals, figuring "if he breaks them they're only $5.00." Well, he did break a few and he wasn't even being rough with them. They just kinda fell apart during a transformation. Not to mention they had this sticky adhesive all over them, the stickers fell off and they didn't fit together very well.

I guess they aren't even worth the $5 I paid for them.

413248[/snapback]

Alright ... looks like I'll have to hunt around eBay for G1 versions ... hopefully in good shape too. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

you know most of the good guys won't die, you know nothing will happen that will make saying the F word and S word justified.  you know the violence will be dull and unconvincing.

I can almost garontee this movie will be less violent than the animated TF movie.  sure the cartoon was for kids.  fine.

those kids are grown now.  if this is chronocling the original transformers, all the fans of it are adults.  we want an adult story line. 

its the same thing like when the bevis and butthead movie got made.  bevis and butthead were edgy on tv.  they had that "i can't beleive they did that on tv" feeling when you watched it.  they were bad boys.

when they made the movie. it was so pointless.  bevis and butthead on the silverscreen was humdrum, didn't push anything, was boring and bland.

a saturday morning cartoon about war will have to be rather soft and overly happy to not scare the bejesus out of children.  a live action MOVIE about war well be nutered if its a sappy kids show.

If i see a trailer with the production value shown in the teaser, and the only thing showcased in that teaser was angry violence, i want the movie to back it up with some good hardcore robot  waring.

Its the same with Xmen, i didn't go to the movie to see violent ass wolverine get his claw slashes artisticly and bloodlessly hidden by the camera.  (and thats a comic book for kids! which was MORE violent than the movie)

413184[/snapback]

Apparently there is a scene in the movie where Scorponok rises out from below the desert and stabs a human soldier then drags him back under with him. :ph34r:

Alt mirage looks pretty good!

I hope the TF movie isn't extremely violent. Enough for a movie yes, but not just because it would be cool. It does however need lots of action. I think there should be this sense that the war isn't just between a few robots vs a few other robots but that there is a whole planet full of robots struggling against each other and that the ones we see are only in the foreground while stuff happens in the background. There shouldn't be enough time that we have the luxury of needing to think or for robots to chat and go into any great depth about who they are because poo is constantly happening for it to not matter (yet)

things that need to be done:

-Establish who the autobots are, why they fight, and how we got involved into the struggle when they came to earth.

-why did transformation become important to them (give a good plausible reason for it)

-origins of the robot aliens?

-are there bad humans siding with the bad robots (decepticons) and helping them on earth like there are good humans helping the autobots?

-do the aliens die if their body is destroyed? (in the animated movie it wasn't clear)

-do the aliens have other methods of disguise like optic camoflage and holograms to stay hidden? You would think some things are too obvious like the big autobot symbol. Maybe they can present it in the movie like an invisible tattoo for robots that once the military stumbles upon a suspicious vehicle they can see this alien symbol and learn more about them.

-action scenes which are interesting to me. Like in the intro of the cartoon where one of the autobots dashes toward the camera in car mode at high speed and then transforms into robot mode leaping with his fist for a charged punch or tackle. That is stuff you only see in comic books.

I don't think we have to see any kind of dramatic deaths for it to be good. It just has to show a level where if they get damaged enough, and about to die the ole "sudden interference from another fighter" comes into play. Happens all the time in dragonball Z. :D Like tag team wrestling.

It should be important that they show battle damage and robots needing to be repaired. Some should be tougher than others and have unique abilities and personalities. That will be the key to making us care if one gets close to death or not. I mean optimus had his dramatic entrance into the animated movie, but it was only right at the last moment - there has to be enough of the movie devoted to the decepticons kicking thier asses for the most part for it to be ok for optimus prime to shine otherwise it wouldn't be a dramatic show. It's the end of the world and only the autobots and prime have a chance to do anything about it. 2/3 of the movie = decepticons taking control. 1/3 optimus turning it around and leading the autobots to victory and foiling the decepticons plans. End the movie with both sides almost losing to each other and a dramtic finishing fight between megatron and prime like the begining of the animated movie where they are slugging it out, battledamaged and depleted of energy.

I don't want to see unecessary killing, but I do want battle damage, maybe a melee fight (the robots run out of energy or are disarmed) and one on one rival type fights, as well as the usual team fighting. Not the typical shooting and missing thier targets, or shooting someone and only pushing someone away and they get up like it was nothing. That was one thing I didn't like about the cartoon. Things should get wrecked and damaged and crushed. With some damage irreparable. (a head that was chopped off and the memory was wiped = fatal. A ripped-off limb = heavy damage, but still able to fight using the weapon in thier bodies.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

you know most of the good guys won't die, you know nothing will happen that will make saying the F word and S word justified.  you know the violence will be dull and unconvincing.

I can almost garontee this movie will be less violent than the animated TF movie.  sure the cartoon was for kids.  fine.

those kids are grown now.  if this is chronocling the original transformers, all the fans of it are adults.  we want an adult story line. 

its the same thing like when the bevis and butthead movie got made.  bevis and butthead were edgy on tv.  they had that "i can't beleive they did that on tv" feeling when you watched it.  they were bad boys.

when they made the movie. it was so pointless.  bevis and butthead on the silverscreen was humdrum, didn't push anything, was boring and bland.

a saturday morning cartoon about war will have to be rather soft and overly happy to not scare the bejesus out of children.  a live action MOVIE about war well be nutered if its a sappy kids show.

If i see a trailer with the production value shown in the teaser, and the only thing showcased in that teaser was angry violence, i want the movie to back it up with some good hardcore robot  waring.

Its the same with Xmen, i didn't go to the movie to see violent ass wolverine get his claw slashes artisticly and bloodlessly hidden by the camera.  (and thats a comic book for kids! which was MORE violent than the movie)

413184[/snapback]

I'm not judging your sense of taste, but often in artistic endeavours, less is more. The suggestion of great violence if quite often more dramatic than outright violence. eg, somebody dying with little blood is of more emotional effect (especially if its a good guy) than having blood splattered all over them and leaking out of their body; or having somebody executed off camera based on the reaction of the other characters rather than seeing their brainpan emptied from their head.

Also, rampant violence has the stigma of being low-brow. Transformers media won't (and never will be) high art, but violence for the sake of violence and 'being cool' to sate the bloodthirst of a minority of viewers will do nothing but damage the image and reputation of Transformers as a relatively well-known franchise. Its also in poor taste.

The movie will have violence (of the robot kind) in it, but I doubt it will have the serious violence you may be after. It just doesn't suit the license, to be honest.

(Oh, due to the nature of comic books and their relatively small circulation, readership and demographic, they can afford to have more violence. Plus, on the big screen Wolverine as a hero would be EXTREMELY unsympathetic, if not outright a source of disgust if he was as violent in the movie as he was in the comics.)

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I can almost garontee this movie will be less violent than the animated TF movie.   sure the cartoon was for kids.  fine.

its the same thing like when the bevis and butthead movie got made.   bevis and butthead were edgy on tv.  they had that "i can't beleive they did that on tv" feeling when you watched it.  they were bad boys.

413184[/snapback]

I'm not judging your sense of taste, but often in artistic endeavours, less is more. The suggestion of great violence if quite often more dramatic than outright violence. eg, somebody dying with little blood is of more emotional effect (especially if its a good guy) than having blood splattered all over them and leaking out of their body; or having somebody executed off camera based on the reaction of the other characters rather than seeing their brainpan emptied from their head.

Also, rampant violence has the stigma of being low-brow. Transformers media won't (and never will be) high art, but violence for the sake of violence and 'being cool' to sate the bloodthirst of a minority of viewers will do nothing but damage the image and reputation of Transformers as a relatively well-known franchise. Its also in poor taste.

The movie will have violence (of the robot kind) in it, but I doubt it will have the serious violence you may be after. It just doesn't suit the license, to be honest.

(Oh, due to the nature of comic books and their relatively small circulation, readership and demographic, they can afford to have more violence. Plus, on the big screen Wolverine as a hero would be EXTREMELY unsympathetic, if not outright a source of disgust if he was as violent in the movie as he was in the comics.)

413400[/snapback]

Yanno, LOTR's were all PG 13, and I found no problem with the dramatic impact of each of those three movies. The need for R rated content to enhance drama is BS.

I think for the transformers movie, a simple explosion from a robot's beam rifle that hits the ground sending humans flying or just getting engulfed in flames is as violent as it gets. You won't see the laser vaporising only the head of a hapless civilian or megatron very graphically smashing a baby under his tank treads.

I was actually suspending my belief when watching X3 when Wolverine goes around slashing his claws and stabbing ppl with them but not drawing any blood.

-do the aliens die if their body is destroyed? (in the animated movie it wasn't clear)

But in the cartoon series later they established that a "dead" transformer COULD be rebuilt(and very very early in the comic books). Thus, Optimus Prime returned from the grave in an attempt to regain supreme leadership of children's television... I mean of the noble Autobot warriors.

-do the aliens have other methods of disguise like optic camoflage and holograms to stay hidden? You would think some things are too obvious like the big autobot symbol. Maybe they can present it in the movie like an invisible tattoo for robots that once the military stumbles upon a suspicious vehicle they can see this alien symbol and learn more about them.

They're symbols that carry no meaning except to the autobots and decepticons. Why hide them?

Mirage had optical camoflauge, though! :)

-action scenes which are interesting to me. Like in the intro of the cartoon where one of the autobots dashes toward the camera in car mode at high speed and then transforms into robot mode leaping with his fist for a charged punch or tackle. That is stuff you only see in comic books.

Yes! Awesome action sequences are a must!

Vermillion, I have the knock-offs of Devastator, Bruticus, Superion, Protectobots, Abominus, etc. and they're good enough if you just want to display them. They are FRAGILE though, I was trying to put one of the legs on Bruticus and it didn't fit on properly and the peg broke off, ended up just taping the leg on with scotch tape on the back to keep it in place.

The positive, it's cheap and they're pretty much the same size. The bad, breaks easily and some tend to tip over. But I'm not paying authentic G1 prices!

Does anyone have the knock-off version of the Constructicons?  Specifically, the green ones in the G1 series, with 6 figures that forms Devestator?  I've been eyeing the KO version off of eBay - can anyone comment on the quality?  I don't expect perfection, but if it's complete crap I'll pass.

Thanks in advance.

413110[/snapback]

Vermillion, I have the knock-offs of Devastator, Bruticus, Superion, Protectobots, Abominus, etc. and they're good enough if you just want to display them. They are FRAGILE though, I was trying to put one of the legs on Bruticus and it didn't fit on properly and the peg broke off, ended up just taping the leg on with scotch tape on the back to keep it in place.

The positive, it's cheap and they're pretty much the same size. The bad, breaks easily and some tend to tip over. But I'm not paying authentic G1 prices!

Hey, thanks for the info Baronv - appreciate it. While my primary reason is for display, I do want to be able to transform them every so often, without the worry of them breaking! Luckily, I did own some of the combiner toys when I was younger, I just managed to complete the official G1 Technobots series and form Computron!!

:D

Now I find myself slightly addicted ... lurking on eBay for other TF combiner figures!! It's tough, if you buy each figure separately you end up paying big bucks ... man, some of those etailers are pretty harsh with prices. Like $5 for some figure's gun + shipping ....

<_<

Ah, vermillion I see you've caught the gestalt bug..... :D

Its a nasty little illness that...Symptoms start out with a simple little combiner purchase to satisfy a long-held childhood wish and all of a sudden you're going obsessive compulsive chasing down every combining tom, dick and harry and his neighbor's dog.......

I've been there and done that mate :D .May your wallet forgive you in the future!

Ah, vermillion I see you've caught the gestalt bug..... :D

Its a nasty little illness that...Symptoms start out with a simple little combiner purchase to satisfy a long-held childhood wish and all of a sudden you're going obsessive compulsive chasing down every combining tom, dick and harry and his neighbor's dog.......

I've been there and done that mate  :D  .May your wallet forgive you in the future!

413577[/snapback]

Ha ha ... tell me about it!

:p

That is exactly what happened to me. I found 3 of the 5 technobots in mint shape at my parents' home recently, and decided to complete Computron. Now, after reviewing several TF toy archive sites, I'm seriously thinking of getting another "gestalt" series. I considered the KO versions, but based on comments, I will try getting some G1 versions first.

It seems like getting the entire series is cheaper than buying the individual figures. Problem is getting them in decent/good shape without paying a fortune.

<_<

Has a rating actually been anounced for the transformers movie?

413419[/snapback]

Nah, but likely it will be PG-13 at most in the US.

There were a number of crazy people who jumped on the Transformers bandwagon (there have been alot since 2004) that demanded that Transformers will suck unless it was rated R18 with explicit human violence. And sex. YES, inappropriate sex in a movie based upon a toyline sold to kids. You know, because all the 'True Fans' are adults now who can handle seeing Spike have sex with his girlfriend.

Morons.

Has a rating actually been anounced for the transformers movie?

413419[/snapback]

Nah, but likely it will be PG-13 at most in the US.

There were a number of crazy people who jumped on the Transformers bandwagon (there have been alot since 2004) that demanded that Transformers will suck unless it was rated R18 with explicit human violence. And sex. YES, inappropriate sex in a movie based upon a toyline sold to kids. You know, because all the 'True Fans' are adults now who can handle seeing Spike have sex with his girlfriend.

Morons.

413590[/snapback]

As long as it's aimed to be at a similar level of maturity as say, the X-men movies, I'll be happy.