Kill Duke!!

God...I thought I had successfully forgotten the whole Mainframe/Zarana cartoon romance....  :blink:

But, come to think of it, I actually know two relatively hot girls from punkish backgrounds who are now really into thirtysomething computer geeks, so it's not really all THAT far fetched....

Poor Mainframe. Never got much respect. I mean, you think of Joe Jarheads and you think Gungho for certain and Leatherneck if you were paying attention (although the name is obvious enough), but ol' Mainframe never gets the respect of being from the Corps.

385136[/snapback]

Actually, Blaine Parker had dual service. The USMC wasn't his only duty. I'm fairly certain he did a stint in the Army Airborne during Vietnam before his corps days. ;)

I always wanted to see his story with Zarana fleshed out some more (I just thought for sure she'd eventually defect to the good side, but so much for that!)

-Jeremy

Resident "Mainframe" fan

(I still have the figure!)

I've got a few problems with the Joe comics. First off, just how utterly absurd they became. Started off as a simple war story and became sci-fi very quickly; not good. Secondly, Snake Eyes. Most popular character (and my favourite) and they turned him from a very good commando into a super-secret ninja with awesome preturnatural abilities; also not good. Thirdly, as a direct relation to secondly, they took that ninja storyline and just ran it into the ground, then stomped on its grave for good measure.

In the comics, Larry had to kill off some Joes in #111. The reason was that he was pressured to kill of the characters for the new characters by Hasbro. He did an interview explaining that if he killed off the joes, he included his favorite Doc. He really didnt want to do it. I hated that he had to. I like the old joes. New ones sucked royally.

The Joe movie was not good but I love the opening scene. You can listen here: G.I.Joe Opening theme. That Cobra-La crap was idiotic and they turned Cobra Commander into a snake. Good lord... Then DIC came out and phucked it up with Dragon Fire and newer episodes. Then Hasbro FUBAR'd it more when they start introducing Ninja force, Eco-warriors, etc...

As for the TF movie, I wanted to walk out of the movie when they started killing off the originals. That was depressing, then Optimus Prime died... OMFG I almost went nuts. And then you had the annoying Hotrod turned into Rodimus... <_<:angry: The reason why they killed off the original TFs was to make room for the new TFs coming.

God, I couldnt and cant forgive Hasbro...

G.I. Joe AKA the animated Village People. :p

Graham

385190[/snapback]

... says a fan of this:

image removed

385755[/snapback]

welcome back A1.

Graham is a very dirty man, so he likes it just for the triangle nipples. :lol:

Edited by Zentrandude

If the rest of the GI Joe movie was like the opening scene, it could have surpassed Transformers The Movie. 

The opening 2 mins ROCKED, then it quickly goes downhill.

385917[/snapback]

I dunno, that scene where Snake Eyes gets swung head first into a cement wall by a Cobra La guard was pretty brutal.

Then again, Chuckles starting the helicopter with his own hands was pretty awesome too. :lol:

kill of the characters for the new characters by Hasbro.

Then Hasbro FUBAR'd it more when they start introducing Ninja force, Eco-warriors, etc...

The reason why they killed off the original TFs was to make room for the new TFs coming.

God, I couldnt and cant forgive Hasbro...

385904[/snapback]

Hasbro,..... <_<

Anyone remember "MicroProse" :(

I really liked the Hama GI-Joe comic back in the day. By the time they were explaining the whole Snake-Eyes/Stormshadow red ninja clan thing I was already pretty much out of it, and just going with inertia (though that was pretty cool). I missed the whole carnage of the original Joes and BF2000, etc.

TF the movie rocked. That still makes a decent movie. I remember liking the season after as a kid, but I bought part 2 of the DVD's and boy that sucks. Even the Return of Optimus Prime episode is mediocre at best, though it was about time they brought him back (it had to be inevitable after Ultra Magnus came back so quick. Angst-ridden Rodimus was the worst :lol: ).

Well, both TF and GI Joe were toy driven. The comics were nice and original, but unfortunately, TV automatically meant toys galore. Then unfortunately, Marvel decided to pump their toy rights, and what better way to do that than to kill old characters.

Goodbye Optimus, hello Rodimus... huh? Rodimus... sounds like a sex toy.

And the GI Joe movie was a disappointment, good animation, but the plot with the idiotic snake people sucked. If only they had followed the plot with the opening, that would've been nice. Say what you like about the comics, I liked it better than the TV. I was glad they killed off people, including those idiots in BF2K. Too bad they went so far with the ninja crap.

FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM, WHEREVER THERE'S TROUBLE....

LAND OR SEA OR AIR, GI JOE IS THERE!

La-la-la-la-la!

They never give up, they never say die!

I f'ing love that version of the Joe song! So much rich texture :p

.... A ruthless terrorist organization, determined to rule the world!

The comics rocked up until the TV show ended. Back when they had the two mediums Hama had a lot more free reign to tell the story he wanted to and to include only the characters he wanted to. This was because the cartoons took on the worse characters, however Hama was still forced to take on a great number of them. After the cartoon ended and GI Joe toy started to wane in popularity Hasbro twisted his arm to include more and more of the new characters and redesigns and hence towards the end you had some really really bad storylines.