She Sings As Lynn Minmay(before And Now)

diamondtmt

She was, is and always will be a cutie in my eyes.

384116[/snapback]

Yeah she is. I was watching her interviews on the Macross ADV DVDs and thought, "Damn she still looks good and really young." And how old is Mari now? Macross was almost 24 years ago so I figure she has to be in her 40's. But yeah she is still very much a cutie.

I had the pleasure of attending Mari's recent concert at the Knitting Factory in NYC (it was part of an anime "after party" of sorts for the NY Comic Con), and was honored to spend some time with her after the show. She looks beautiful after all these years and sports an incredible voice, but what really amazed me was her kindness and warmth towards fans. We discussed Macross through the years, her performance in the new dub (which I told her was the one thing that even the most nitpicky fans were in favor of), and her coming to terms with being Minmay.

Funny thing, she recognized the name "Macross World" and could have sworn that she was scheduled to have an interview with this site in the near future. Shawn? Graham? Can anyone confirm this? I'm positive she wouldn't have us confused with Robotech.com. And if this isn't the site she had in mind...let's make it so! ;)

Speaking of Robotech: during the show, before performing the "Mari sings Lynn Minmay" version of My Boyfriend is a Pilot (I have a large 22 MB Quicktime movie I took of this entire song, if anyone is interested in hosting it? I'd love to share it, but I have no place to store it currently. PM me if you're interested), she asked the audience if they were Robotech fans (to which a few hands raised) or Macross fans (which caused a lot more clapping and noise). I just thought that was interesting, since I would have expected the opposite from this crowd. She seemed very excited about the response and mentioned that she's on a quest of sorts to redeem Minmay in the eyes of the english speaking world, since she feels so strongly for the character.

As for Macross songs, she only performed 2: My Boyfriend is a Pilot and Cinderella. The rest was all original material, including some demos of new songs (which sounded great, IMO). Throughout the entire show, she would talk and laugh with the audience for long periods of time and explain the meaning and emotions behind each song. The whole setting was very intimate, with almost a VH1 "Storytellers" vibe.

After agreeing to take a picture with me, and noticing the photo came out rather crappy on my digital camera (due to the poor lighting in the club), Mari asked if I would mind waiting for her to finish signing autographs and such so she could take a better picture with me in the lobby of the place. How cool is that?!

Anyway, here's a picture of the beautiful Miss Iijima and myself (modeling only the HOTTEST in geek fashion :p ):

post-435-1143394561_thumb.jpg

Edited by crasis

she's on a quest of sorts to redeem Minmay in the eyes of the english speaking world, since she feels so strongly for the character.

Good for her! :)

Funny thing, she recognized the name "Macross World" and could have sworn that she was scheduled to have an interview with this site in the near future. Shawn? Graham? Can anyone confirm this? I'm positive she wouldn't have us confused with Robotech.com. And if this isn't the site she had in mind...let's make it so!  ;)

Anyway, here's a picture of the beautiful Miss Iijima and myself (modeling only the HOTTEST in geek fashion  :p ):

384212[/snapback]

She probably recognized the name "Macross World" because she attended the Macross World Con last year. Do a search to see some cool pics of her with the some of the guys here at Macross World.

By the way cool pic of yourself with Mari! Print it out and have her sign it the next time you meet her!

Edited by fansubs2000

Mari asked if I would mind waiting for her to finish signing autographs and such so she could take a better picture with me in the lobby of the place. How cool is that?!

Dude she was coming on to you and you blew it!

Mari asked if I would mind waiting for her to finish signing autographs and such so she could take a better picture with me in the lobby of the place. How cool is that?!

384466[/snapback]

You had her in your grasp, but like Hikaru you knew that her love for her music would interfere in your relationship. Maybe next time.

Thats really nice of her to do that pic retake with you.

Yup, you blew it. :lol:

384466[/snapback]

You had her in your grasp, but like Hikaru you knew that her love for her music would interfere in your relationship. Maybe next time.

Thats really nice of her to do that pic retake with you.

384480[/snapback]

For the record, don't forget Mari is single, & loves snoopy. So bring a Snoopy Doll & flowers to any showings, and that will almost certainly amplify your chances at some ass.

Edited by Keith

For the record, don't forget Mari is single, & loves snoopy. So bring a Snoopy Doll & flowers to any showings, and that will almost certainly amplify your chances at some ass.

384503[/snapback]

Isn't she a little old for you, Keith?

Wait a sec, I thought she was married and had kids :blink: I remember a thread that was talking about how her kids didn't care about her music

384503[/snapback]

Wait a sec, I thought she was married and had kids  :blink:  I remember a thread that was talking about how her kids didn't care about her music

384503[/snapback]

384605[/snapback]

She's recently divorced, so she's technically available :)

384466[/snapback]

Ha! Actually, I blew it earlier in the conversation when I mentioned how my fiancée and I plan on playing Ai Oboete Imasu Ka at our wedding. I felt guilty because my girl really wanted to be there that night, but was home sick. :unsure:

Here's the really amusing part, though:

As I was talking to the lovely Ms. Iijima, her assistant/friend (who took the pictures) made a comment about Mari finally finding that boyfriend she was looking for. Mari then blushed and replied “No, no, he’s getting married!†:D:p Life is weird.

It was definitely a night to remember, and I got her to sign some original SDF Macross scene cards as well as a few of her albums. After the utter fiasco that was the New York Comic Con (or wasn't, in my case, as I was told the place was beyond capacity when I arrived that morning and had to wait in a 2 hour line for a chance to get my refund and go home... :angry: ), I was determined not to make the day a total waste, so I hiked right back to Manhattan that night for the concert. It was worth all the effort.

Like I mentioned before, I have video of the performance, but need some place to host the files. Any takers?

She probably recognized the name "Macross World" because she attended the Macross World Con last year. Do a search to see some cool pics of her with the some of the guys here at Macross World.

By the way cool pic of yourself with Mari! Print it out and have her sign it the next time you meet her!

384248[/snapback]

I so wish I could have been there last year. Hey, is there any chance she might be persuaded to attend MWCon this year? I think I'd have to fly out to CA for that after all. This Knitting Factory concert in NY was such a huge rarity for us east coasters, as we usually get the short end of the stick for any Macross related goodness.

Edited by crasis

384466[/snapback]

LOL,

Considering how painfully shy the Japanese are and the women are worse than the men, I seriously doubt she was coming on to anyone... :rolleyes:

If she were she'd be a LOT more shy about talking with you and would have blushed during the conversation...

Though I am jealous... :p

Edited by Zinjo

384466[/snapback]

Ha! Actually, I blew it earlier in the conversation when I mentioned how my fiancée and I plan on playing Ai Oboete Imasu Ka at our wedding. I felt guilty because my girl really wanted to be there that night, but was home sick. :unsure:

Here's the really amusing part, though:

As I was talking to the lovely Ms. Iijima, her assistant/friend (who took the pictures) made a comment about Mari finally finding that boyfriend she was looking for. Mari then blushed and replied “No, no, he’s getting married!†:D:p Life is weird.

It was definitely a night to remember, and I got her to sign some original SDF Macross scene cards as well as a few of her albums. After the utter fiasco that was the New York Comic Con (or wasn't, in my case, as I was told the place was beyond capacity when I arrived that morning and had to wait in a 2 hour line for a chance to get my refund and go home... :angry: ), I was determined not to make the day a total waste, so I hiked right back to Manhattan that night for the concert. It was worth all the effort.

Like I mentioned before, I have video of the performance, but need some place to host the files. Any takers?

384627[/snapback]

I'd love to but my ISP account wouldn't support a file that big... <_<

I went to the NY comic con just to see her. I was late to her concert because the trains are always screwed up on the weekends. I walked into the convention center and i heard her singing Cindarella somewhere. It sounded like the scene in DYRL? when Minmay was singing it in the alien ship and freaking everybody out. So i followed her voice and found the stage. It was a little sad because there werent as many people as i expected. When the concert was over she went and sat down ona bench close by the stage to sell her albums and sign autographs for the fans. All i wanted was to take a picture with her because im really just a Macross fan and im not into her music. When i shook her hand she said my hand is so cold which was true. I told her my hands are always cold (i think i have problem). She replied to me saying its because i have a warm heart. I dont know if i was star struck or because i was freaked out that minmays voice was speaking to me but i stood there frozen with a doofy smile on my face. She must have thought i was a weirdo. So I think i blew my chance too. Damn so shes hitting on all her fans? I dont feel so special anymore. If only I kept my cool who knows? i couldve lived the ultimate Macross fantasy:)

I had the pleasure of attending Mari's recent concert at the Knitting Factory in NYC (it was part of an anime "after party" of sorts for the NY Comic Con), and was honored to spend some time with her after the show. She looks beautiful after all these years and sports an incredible voice, but what really amazed me was her kindness and warmth towards fans. We discussed Macross through the years, her performance in the new dub (which I told her was the one thing that even the most nitpicky fans were in favor of), and her coming to terms with being Minmay.

Funny thing, she recognized the name "Macross World" and could have sworn that she was scheduled to have an interview with this site in the near future. Shawn? Graham? Can anyone confirm this? I'm positive she wouldn't have us confused with Robotech.com. And if this isn't the site she had in mind...let's make it so!  ;)

Speaking of Robotech: during the show, before performing the "Mari sings Lynn Minmay" version of My Boyfriend is a Pilot (I have a large 22 MB Quicktime movie I took of this entire song, if anyone is interested in hosting it? I'd love to share it, but I have no place to store it currently. PM me if you're interested), she asked the audience if they were Robotech fans (to which a few hands raised) or Macross fans (which caused a lot more clapping and noise). I just thought that was interesting, since I would have expected the opposite from this crowd. She seemed very excited about the response and mentioned that she's on a quest of sorts to redeem Minmay in the eyes of the english speaking world, since she feels so strongly for the character.

As for Macross songs, she only performed 2: My Boyfriend is a Pilot and Cinderella. The rest was all original material, including some demos of new songs (which sounded great, IMO). Throughout the entire show, she would talk and laugh with the audience for long periods of time and explain the meaning and emotions behind each song. The whole setting was very intimate, with almost a VH1 "Storytellers" vibe.

After agreeing to take a picture with me, and noticing the photo came out rather crappy on my digital camera (due to the poor lighting in the club), Mari asked if I would mind waiting for her to finish signing autographs and such so she could take a better picture with me in the lobby of the place. How cool is that?!

Anyway, here's a picture of the beautiful Miss Iijima and myself (modeling only the HOTTEST in geek fashion  :p ):

384212[/snapback]

Man I am Sooooo jealous of you. now you really have convinced me to get the english dub of Macross. you lucky dog you. :lol:

Wait a sec, I thought she was married and had kids  :blink:  I remember a thread that was talking about how her kids didn't care about her music

384503[/snapback]

384605[/snapback]

If she had my kids I'd make them like her music :p

384503[/snapback]

384605[/snapback]

384712[/snapback]

i thought it said somehwere she'd gotten divorced, so shes available again :)

Wait a sec, I thought she was married and had kids  :blink:   I remember a thread that was talking about how her kids didn't care about her music

384503[/snapback]

384605[/snapback]

384712[/snapback]

I wonder if her kids have even watched the original Macross series before?

If they did, would they like it as much as we do?

Would they join MW and become Valk-a-holics?

Damn if my mom was Minmay I would get her to sign all my Macross stuff!

Wait there's an idea.

OK all I gotta do is track these kids online and become best friends with them.

Then they can hook me up with free autographs amd maybe even hook me up with their mom! (Long term plan! :rolleyes: )

They probably hang out at myspace.com with the other damn kids in America.