No Love for the 1/55's

VF Strike Valk

Welcome to the MW Forums VF Strike Valk.

As you find reading through most of these topics, most of us have different tastes when it comes to Macross valkyries. Personally....I'm gonna use a quote from MIB2.

The 1/55's are old and busted.

The 1/48's are the new hotness.

Hello there new Macross member :)

The Bandai 1/55 Valkyries were fine toys for their time and do still hold some advantages over the best of the new Valkyrie toy lines. They are easy to use, transform quickly, and are durable.

Personally, I liked the 1/55s, but I sure am glad something way better came along. For me I enjoy the detail, articulation, superior design, and over all aesthetic of the Yamato 1/48 Valkyrie. It's just a better mousetrap :)

Don't worry. I actually like the the 1/55 Bandai's the best still. The yamato's have a lot of bells and whistles, but I can't get past the fact that the 1/60 can't be transformed unless the legs are taken off. If they could, I would probably start collecting them. The 1/48 are very nice, but I can't get past the bony girl arms and the large torso that seems disproportionate in robot mode. Well, to each his own.

As a Bandai collector, I actually don't mind too much that 1/55's are almost being discarded. The price of a MISB Bandai has dropped to around $30.00 in many places. That sure beats $125.00 for the 1/48. This makes it a lot cheaper to customize. BTW, the Chunky Monkeys seem to be built like tanks. Strong construction is definitely important to me. :lol:

you'll find there are still those of us on this board who are old school and love the 1/55s. We're just silent because any talk of our love for the 1/55s results in public ridicule similar to those given to Robotech lovers. But despite all that, I still love my chunky monkey! One day, the chunky monkey will return to glory and the golden days of chunky monkey shall once again rule! Just jokers guys!!!

I do love my chunky monkeys though. I love the weight, the solid feel. They just don't make toys like they used to. Always been a fan of the 1/55s...always will!

i luv chunky monkey!!!! enough to make a chunky monkey.....

INFAMOUS POLL OF DEATH AND DECIMATION AND PROCLAMATION OF GREATEST BANDAI 1/55 GLORY EVER YES YES YES!!

THEN WE MAKE POLL PETITION FOR LOW VIZ BANDAI 1/55 GVALK AND ALL NEW 1/55 BANDAI METAL MATERIAL VALKY TO KICK AILE STRIKER GUNDAM'S ASS AND SEND SWORD STRIKER TO OBLIVIOUN!!! muhahahhhhMUAHAHHHA

MUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

The 1/55 are just nostalgia Items for me now. They where THE Valks but now we have Yamato offering what I dreamed since I was a Kid. The ultimate 1/48 Valk... and those FPs. I just love them.

I agree the 1/55s are easy to transform and also very durable, but I am not a kid anymore so I prefer accuracy and details, I like to collectmore than to play.

Compared with Yammies the 1/55s looks really chunky... Chunky monkey.

I do like the Yamato's...I guess its one of those eye of the beholder things. I do own a couple 1/60's. I just can't get past removing the legs to transform it. I love the quality and the detail...but it feels so fragile. I have yet to pick up a 1/48...so I have no experience with that yet. I've been lurking for a while. :)

I do hope that Bandai does reissue the Elint and the Super O. <_<

VF Strike Valk, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the transformation of the 1/48s. It's a little time consuming and you end up being delicate cuz it costs so much to get one and you don't want to bust it. I'm not that big a fan of the leg transformation part, but the best thing about the 1/48 is the heat shield. It retracts into the chest, and that to me is the coolest thing in the whole wide macrossworld!

The 1/60 Yamatos are nice, but like clitoral climax, the euphoria of having it dies down sooner that owning a 1/55 Taka/Bandai - which gives you that old-fashioned, but solid and wholesome vaginal orgasm as well.

Many have had both the Yammie 1/60s and 1/55 Taka/Bandais. Then, they take it to the next higher level - the 1/48 Yamato. It's the PLEASURE BEADS of the VF1 toys. It gives you another fantastic sensation on top of what the other two can do - All-consuming anal pleasure!

I still prefere the Bandai/Takatoku 1/55ths to Yamato's 1/60 Valkyries in terms of playability. The 1/6oths might have actually been better recieved with a swing bar transformation, as I personally don't see how anyone can find those oversized hip lumps any more asthetically appealling. Now the 1/60ths suffer from three problems, the huge hip bumps that look as bad as swing bars, loose hips that make it nearly impossible to get the toy to stand up, AND removable legs for the transformation.

Overall, though, the 1/60ths do look better, but wind up being less fun to play with than the good 'ol 1/55ths. On the other hand, the 1/48ths are much better looking than any Valkyrie toy to date, have no swing bars or cancerous hip bulges marring their appearance, pose easily, and are just a lot of fun to play with in general. I'd say it's debatable which is more fun to play with (the 1/55ths or the 1/48ths), as the 1/55ths transform easily and are tough as a brick, while the 1/48ths have a complex transformation that might be more appealing to lots of people, and, while not as tough as a 1/55th, are a lot tougher than most people give them credit.

I do find it odd that people will crtisize the proportions of the 1/48th, but not mind that the 1/60ths and 1/55ths have much worse proportions. Both the 1/60ths and especially the 1/55ths have huge "Popeye" arms, and the 1/60ths have tiny, almost non-existant upper arms. The nosecone of the 1/60th is mishapen, lacking the curves present in the 1/48th and the lineart, and are as much too thin as the 1/48th nose cone is too thick. Personally, I don't see too thin as an improvement. Again, those huge bulges in the "thighs" of the 1/60 Valks look terrible.

I do see the complaints about the "broad chested" 1/48ths, and the small hands. Unfortunately, to get correctly proportioned arms, the hands simply won't fit unless they're undersized. I do wish Yamato had made DYRL? style non-articulated hands like the tv version hands coming with the 1J, though I don't find the hands big enough of a problem to say I'd keep the the stock hands off. I do like perfect transformation in my Valkyries, and the smaller hands are more realistic.

I suppose preference can't be argued, as that's simply opinion. Porportions, on the other hand, are fact. It's either more correctly proportioned, or it's not.

Anyways, it seems I went off on a huge tangent. In short, I like the 1/55ths a lot and have all of the reissues. I don't think the 1/60ths are bad, but I only have one and don't intend to get anymore, as the 1/48ths look better are are more fun to play with. I do think the 1/48ths are better toys than the 1/55ths as they look better and they're more posable (and most of the problems associated with the 1/48ths are grossly exaggerated in my experience), but all that comes at a steeper price tag.

The 1/60 Yamatos are nice, but like clitoral climax, the euphoria of having it dies down sooner that owning a 1/55 Taka/Bandai - which gives you that old-fashioned, but solid and wholesome vaginal orgasm as well.

Many have had both the Yammie 1/60s and 1/55 Taka/Bandais. Then, they take it to the next higher level - the 1/48 Yamato. It's the PLEASURE BEADS of the VF1 toys. It gives you another fantastic sensation on top of what the other two can do - All-consuming anal pleasure!

:huh:

:blink:

:unsure:

I like the 1/55ths a lot. I think to many people they're still appealing because they're actually toys, you can play with them... you can be rough with them, something you can't do so much with Yamatos. Luckily it seems like theres still a few people doing customs, KidK and Skull One recently posted some cool customs. I myself have three VF-1S's sitting under by bed waiting for some custom parts...

:huh:

:blink:

:unsure:

I like the 1/55ths a lot. I think to many people they're still appealing because they're actually toys, you can play with them... you can be rough with them, something you can't do so much with Yamatos. Luckily it seems like theres still a few people doing customs, KidK and Skull One recently posted some cool customs. I myself have three VF-1S's sitting under by bed waiting for some custom parts...

Well, as I've told you before, I'm an old fashioned guy. I do have several 1/60 Yammies and like them, but I prefer the 1/55s to it. BoB is also sometimes, a kinky guy. So he also likes to play with the 1/48s as well... but not on himself though. :p

Edited by Beware of Blast

I once own a few Taka 1/55 when I was small, and they got throw away by my mom when I move from HK to Canada. I'll probably start collect Bandai re-issue 1/55 once I complete my Yamato line. Yamato still has a higher priority, but I do see the beauty of the Bandai 1/55. It bring back good old memory.

What's you guys' opinion on Toynami 1/55?

Does it worth collecting at all? Or even worse, does worth to buy it as merely a toy?

I once own a few Taka 1/55 when I was small, and they got throw away by my mom when I move from HK to Canada. I'll probably start collect Bandai re-issue 1/55 once I complete my Yamato line. Yamato still has a higher priority, but I do see the beauty of the Bandai 1/55. It bring back good old memory.

What's you guys' opinion on Toynami 1/55?

Does it worth collecting at all? Or even worse, does worth to buy it as merely a toy?

Oh boy...you're opening a big can of worms on this board with talk of the toynami valks. I'll just say that I have them because I like the box. HAHAHAA

Awww, I still love my 1/55 chunky monkeys. No other valk to date has such awesome spring loaded landing gear that can break off a finger or two if you're not careful :lol:

Other unique things I love about the 1/55's is the excellent quality of the plastic, the superb paint job, and the fact that all the markings are painted on, down to the tiny text that's actually legible. No need to mess with stickers or decals.

I guess not many people are talking about the 1/55's mainly because Bandai isn't doing anything with them. They have put no effort whatsoever into Macross as of late and there's nothing new Macross-related coming from them, whereas Yamato is churning out Macross goodness at a dizzying pace and even re-issuing some 1/60 valks.

Edited by twinmoons

I guess not many people are talking about the 1/55's mainly because Bandai isn't doing anything with them. They have put no effort whatsoever into Macross as of late and there's nothing new Macross-related coming from them, whereas Yamato is churning out Macross goodness at a dizzying pace and even re-issuing some 1/60 valks.

yep.

If there were new 1/55's on the way you can bet that there would be talk about them. As is, us monkey lovers have to put up with all the yammie threads until...

hey yamatos look cool and all but my all time fav still is the 1\55.

thing is there is only so much to talk about and i guess that all is said about

the 1\55 ,unless bandai reissues some more of those great toys. ;)

and unless ppl start doing more customs again but alot of ppl left the customizing

world as you can mostly just buy the ones you like from yamato.

as weard as it sounds i do miss the old collecting times not for the prices as they

were crazy but it was more fun as it was more dificult to actualy find what u wanted.

I'm fairly alarmed here :)

To each his own I guess.

1/55's to me is just nostalgia. I would have loved to have the re-issues, but being a little more mature and picky, I opted to have accuracy versus nostagia, and aesthetics over ease of transformation (we're no longer kids afterall), and got me the Yamato 1/60's. If we're talking about durability, I always say that the 1/60's can hold their own.

The Yamato 1/48, I consider the realization of the ultimate Valkyrie toy. Not for the faint of heart....or wallet :D

NOSTALGIA TALAGA PARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOSTALGIA CHAKA STRENGTH OF BRICK CHAKA PAINTED DECALS!!

IVA ! MABUHAY!!

hey omni

do you consider the 1/438 more sturdy and durable then the 1/60? 1/670 maybe the most diecast endowed but pisses me off when it topples over and legs fall out. oh yea theres a crack inthe hip too

putangina!!

There is only discussion about the 60s and the 48s because they are comming out now. If any 55 were rolling off of the assembly line it would be a topic of discussion.

Keep in mind though 55s are kind of grim looking next to the 48s. Were talking a rerun of a 20 year old toy.

The 1/55's are just offensive looking when compared to the beauty of the 1/48. Chunky Monkey lovers should be condemned to the lowest pit of RT.com. All who defy Yamato shall be struck down by the Froating Head Himself. I urge you all to cast your Chunky Monkeys into the fire, so that they may return to the hell which spawned them.

Kidding aside, I too see the 1/55's as mainly nostalgia. They're great for the collector who couldn't afford to pick up all of the originals, or that person who wants to replace that favorite toy s/he lost as a kid, or those hardworking customizers who are still churning out cool & improved customs. Otherwise, I give the 1/55's a big "meh."

hey omni

do you consider the 1/438 more sturdy and durable then the 1/60? 1/670 maybe the most diecast endowed but pisses me off when it topples over and legs fall out. oh yea theres a crack inthe hip too

putangina!!

The 1/60 is in a class of it's own, as well as the 1/48 and 1/55.

I only own a couple of 1/48's due to a limited budget. I have several 1/60's though, and have ONE 1/55. A Takatoku Super VF-1S

I cannot say for certain if they will take the abuse of time like the Bandai's/Taka's did, but I can fairly say they are tough enough to stand toe to toe with the Bandai reissues. :lol:

All I see are posts for the 1/60's...no love for the 1/55's?

:angry::angry: I wouldn't say that...lol.

I love the 1/55 more than the 1/60 by a mile. And because I'm a Transformers fan, the 1/55 is even more lovable to me since it reminded me of Jetfire than any other line, well except the 1/48.