Debating Which (if Any) 1/48's To Get

David Hingtgen

From the perspective of someone who sees a 1/48 as a pretty major purchase not taken lightly:

Having watched M Plus, DYRL, and M Zero (for the first time) this week I feel the need for more valks. Since 1/48 will definitely be the new standard scale (with the VF-0 coming, and if we ever get new M Plus toys they'll likely be that too) I'm thinking about getting a 1/48 VF-1, which I still don't have. Reading everything I could on this forum still didn't help much with my decision, so I'll ask people here. My comments/questions/concerns:

My fave schemes are Milia's -1J and Roy's -1S. I have both in 1/60. Along those lines, I keep debating---it's hard for me to justify buying something I already have in a sense, but I also wouldn't really want to spend that kind of money on anything BUT my fave scheme. I've been considering DYRL Hikaru's -1S, as I do like that scheme too and it's different from what I have already---but it just takes me back to "I spent THAT kind of money on a scheme that's not a favorite"---but doing so would alleviate any sort of "wasted money" feelings I have by getting Milia or Roy's in 1/48. I'm the kind of person that really hates having anything less than the best version of anything, but also the person who hates even more buying something then having to spend even more money to buy the better version of something I already have. (Which is usually why I wait a long time before buying something---didn't work for VF-1's though)

I'd appreciate posts from people who bought the 1/48 versions of 1/60 that they already had. Would appreciate comments from those that don't buy a lot of valks. (if you bought every 1/60 valk then every 1/48, I can probably guess what your comments are--you also have far more money for valks than me). But if you only had 1 or 2 in 1/60, and then bought them again in 1/48, I'd appreciate comments/comparisons--mainly if you thought it was that much better than a 1/48, that you felt it was worth the upgrade.

Would especially like a 1/60 to 1/48 Milia photo comparison---I can only ever find the default factory sample photos of the 1/48 Milia.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out whether buying a 1/48 Milia is worth it, compared to my 1/60 Milia. And if I were to get a 1/48, would I be better off getting something "new" I don't have at all (a Hikaru) or my fave scheme again that I already have in 1/60. (Milia) Then I get into "if I get Milia in 48, would I be satisfied, or would I have to get Roy's too? Because if I "upgrade" Milia to 48 then I almost certainly have to do Roy's too. And then I couldn't afford an Xbox 360...

"Typing out loud" often helps me think, so even if no one replies it'll probably help me decide. :)

Total Valk Count:

1/48 - 2

1/60 - 1

1/55 - 1

Believe me, the 1/48 is totally worth it, you will have no regrets. Like others have said, the only thing the 1/60 has over the 1/48 is slightly more anime-accurate proportions, but the level of detail and CAD-based manufacturing of the 1/48 puts it at another level.

If you were to get just 1, get your favorite (Milia Super 1J). My next choice would be the Hikaru 1S, since they did not make a 1/60 version, and it is the quintessential Valk.

In my opinion the 1/60's are crap.

Sell them, use the money to help you upgrade to the 1/48 line.

Roy's 1S scheme with strike parts is what it sounds like you should get.

Roy is probably the cheapest 1/48 you can get now days because they reissue him a lot. So there is a lot of Roy's VF-1S floating around for you to grab at a great price.

Millia's Super 1/48 is as awesome as hell, but right now a little harder to find.

Probably cost you near $200 at least, or much more.

If you are tight on cash, get the Roy for now.

Sell your 1/60 Roy here at MW, use that cash to help you upgrade to the 1/48 Valks.

That way you won't spend money on a Valk which you already have, which sounds like one of your main concerns.

Edited by fansubs2000

Cheapest place to get a new Milia that I've found (outside of fleabay auctions) - this is about the same price as a Roy w/ fastpacks.

Neova's Store

382452[/snapback]

Yes this is true. I've ordered my Millia Super from Neova also.

His price is awesome at $165, shipping to me in California was $25.

So $190 is a super price for a SUPER, and another thing is Neova is one of the very very very few people that still his her in stock.

Have you tried this thread Please Recommend A Valkyrie, if you could have only one..., it should give you some idea.

My personal fav (off the self with no custom works) is also Miria. The red really suits the fastpack. The QA is not too bad either.

Edited by Mowe

Thanks much for the replies so far. I did see(just today) that Neova had Milia in stock, though I am also considering waiting to see if a reissue comes out----it'll be cheaper then and I'll have more money. Then again, it could be forever or never till a reissue Milia comes.

Didn't find the "recommend a valk" thread before, thanks.

PS--you know, one of the first thoughts I had being made a mini-mod of this forum was "but I don't have a 1/48, and that's all they talk about nowadays and I'm not up on them". :)

PPS--reading that thread (sad that I missed it in my "own" forum) yellowing comes up a lot. My 1/60 Roy isn't yellow in the slightest and he's been out of the box for years now---is it a 1/48 issue specifically? Also "crooked skulls" DOES ring a bell---has it ever been fixed? I spent a LONG time trying to get the perfect skull alignment on my 1/60 Roy's stickers, and crooked skulls would bug the heck out of me.

PPPS---what exactly is printed on the 1/48's? I plan to use Anasazi's decals anyways, but want to know what's already there.

Finally---how much are used but very nice 1/60's worth nowadays? Combined with selling my VF-11 FP and a slightly damaged YF-21 FP I could probably get most of the cash needed.

Edited by David Hingtgen

PPPS---what exactly is printed on the 1/48's?  I plan to use Anasazi's decals anyways, but want to know what's already there. 

382476[/snapback]

Only the skulls on the tailfins and heat shield are printed on.

Most (all?) 1/48 VF-1S Roy Valkyries have the crooked skull problem except the 2nd edition (1st re-issue), as for the Hikaru 1S... don't know since I don't own one.

The only things tampo printed onto the 1/48s are the skulls on the fins and heat shield and the kite on the wing, and on the 1Js you also get the "U.N. SPACEY" printed on the legs, but that's it; everything else is on the sticker sheet, which you want to avoid. Anasazi's stickers or decals or Takatoys's stickers are the way to go.

Overall, the 1/48s are well worth the money, within reason ($250+ for an original LE Low Vis.... I don't think so...). The first time you see and handle one in person you'll be glad you bought it.

Edited by mechaninac

If crooked skulls will drive you up the wall, stick with the Milia 1J. ALL of the new release VF-1S schemes have the potential for crooked skulls - both my Roy and Hikaru had them. Or, if your handy with paint, you can paint over the tailfin and use a Takatoy sticker skull (that's what I did).

Edited by ghostryder

If you like the VF-1S Hikaru, then I suggest you get that one or at least the Roy. Both are one of the most representative valks, they have colour schemes completely different from your 1/60 valks and you also get a S head design. You won't feel like you have two sizes of the same model that way.

I’ve read that you would like a VF-0D (not the S). Well, the Hikaru or Roy could tie you up until Yamato decides to do a VF-0D (if they ever do so).

Go for 1/48 VF-1S Roy, I have 2 VF-1S 1/60 and I still belive that I did a good choice. And I'm still waiting for a good offer for a Hikaru VF-1J just to fit it whit the gbp.

In my opinion the head sculpture of the VF-1J's is a little less pretty than the 1/60, you can compare if you alredy own 1 as you say. And I think... "if I get Miria scheme I must get Max scheme" <_<

But if you want something new go for the new ones: low vis I and II, and stealth

You should buy Vostok's smooth 'n grey Low Viz. Since you're the resident aviation expert you wouldn't be satisfied with an anime colored fighter. It may be pricey, but definitely worth it...

I would say it is worth it. I am not a completest so I do not have every valk. But I still buy enough not to afford a Xbox 360 also. Waiting for price drop. :rolleyes:

These are what I have that I have the 1/60 and same version in 1/48.

Roy S, Hikaru A, Hikaru J, Cannon Fodder, Max J, Millia J.

With the 1/48 Milla they color is nicer to me and you get all of the missiles. Of course the 1/48 are easier to make stand stright for me. I had issues with the wings on the 1/60 not holding the missiles. They would pop out from time to time. The backpacks lock on the 1/48 version better. So with fast packs they do not tend to fall back.

So I would say the Roy and Millia would be a good place to start.

Are you kidding me? I'm trying to unload all the 1/60s I got. Make room for a couple 1/48. But really, if you want a real toy...1/55 originals are the way to go. HEEHEE. If I had to start all over again, I wouldn't have bought a single toy ever. This has been a money pit for many many years.

Wow. I'm shocked you don't have at least one already. I only own one 1/60, bought before the 1/48's arrived, and a few 1/48's. I have to say that the difference between them is night and day. The 1/48 is in an entirely different league-- not only is it larger, but the fit, finish, and detailing is vastly superior.

It's something else when you take the 1/48 out of the box for the first time. The first thing you notice is how tight everything fits together in fighter mode. The thing feels like a brick. It's as if was designed as a variable fighter and every part was intended to fit flush with everything else, not just a bunch of arms and legs slapped together to resemble an aircraft like other valk toys.

The finish is also much better. The 1/60 has this sort of cheap plasticky translucency about it, and sharp edges are sort of rounded off. I hate the front gear doors... they're these blobbly pieces that look like they've been melted a little. Not the case on the 1/48. Gear door edges are sharp and fit flush. It even boasts opening doors laid out identically to the anime. The whole thing just reeks of precision crating, and makes my 1/60 look like poop.

I'd have to disagree that the 1/60 has more accurate anime-porportions. It's got too much of a needle nose for me and it's much cruder in compariosn. In fighter mode, the 1/48 wins by a long shot, although some folks are bugged by the slightly wide canopy frame and the slightly large shoulder blocks. In battroid, the 1/48's chest is a *little* bit wide, and its arms are a tad skinny, and its hands too small, but as a whole, it just feels a whole lot better. Gerwalk's unmatched on the 1/48-- it's chicken-leg a-stance is the best I've ever seen on a valk toy or model. So, maybe the 1/60 is debatably closer porportionally in battroid volume-wise, but the 1/48's lines, curves, and general feel is much closer to the anime.

I'd consider getting a VF-1S simply because it has the best VF-1S head sculpt of any model or toy ever made. The 1J's is passable, but like Froy mentioned, there's something about it that's just too angular and doesn't give me the same feel the line art does. The 1S's head also has an added bonus of being just big enough to hide the chunky arm blocks in fighter mode. And if the small posable hands bug you, you can always get Eternal D's DYRL hands or get one of the VF-1J's (including Milia's) that come with fixed-posed TV hands. Maybe someone's still selling TV hand recasts if you do opt to go for the Roy.

Some folks would definitely find the 1/48 pricey, but it is several levels above the 1/60, in my opinion.

In battroid, the 1/48's chest is a *little* bit wide, and its arms are a tad skinny, and its hands too small,

So true. It is the only archilles heel of the 1/48 imo. (along with the fake feet thruster which is visible in fighter mode but isn't noticable in battroid. This is fixed on the vf0 though)

1/60 are great in battroid mode from a distance but not as detailed as 1/48. (you will crap your pants when you see the fast packs! :D Once in a while I like to remove the covers and compare the inside with the lineart - I wish one day we get a toy that is designed like the fast packs but for the whole valk so you can see the internel workings like one of the claudia flashback scenes in the tv series. If they ever do a line of high detail destroids I want that level of detail. All the money should go to making it look 'mechanical' and accurate given it is non transforming)

Sell your 1/60 and get 1/48. Also sell any 1/72 now before yamato really does decide on new macross plus toys in future and the value of them goes down. (I pointed out earlier that mint vf11b w fp is going for 1/48 prices so it might help you still afford your xbox360)

The one thing I like about the tv series valks is that they look recognisable in a group of plain white DYRL valks. They aren't just a VF1J in a group of VF1J. Nooo, they are max and milia VF1J who are the best pilots in the show! :D Along with the Stealth VF1j, and Hikaru 1J inside GBP armor, they would make a cool 1J elite team standing next to each other decked out in all thier gear.

I personally like TV series valks for the 'color variety' reasons. It is one of the reasons I wanted the cannon fodder because you see these guys get blown up all the time onscreen in the tv series. :D But when you do see them they are instantly recognisable from a distance for thier color.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Sundown--thank you, that is one of the things I was really wondering about---fit/finish. The 1/60's, while a lot better than the M Plus valks, still just don't "click" together like I expect a $100 toy. My standard for big expensive transforming mecha is current MP Optimus Prime. So very 'crisp' in every way. (except the chest/windows, which I blame on being diecast---diecast adds weight, nothing more)

While we're talking fit/finish--how are screws dealt with? Are there fewer, less obvious, those weird "rubbery round caps with a hexagonal top"? I haven't really noticed any in the pics.

Exo--ack, see, I'm really not up on the newest Yamatos. Of course, now that means if I got a VF-0 it wouldn't be in scale with the 1/48's... Argh!

Now that I think about it, if they make a big VF-0 in 1/60, they probably wouldn't do a -19 or -21 in 1/48 either, and those too would be 1/60... (As a diecast plane collector, I try very hard to keep consistent scales) And I still utterly plan to wait for a VF-0D.

I'm currently leaning towards a 48 Milia...

Edited by David Hingtgen

1/48 = MP Prime but mainly plastic instead of diecast.

Unlike other toys though its joints are also very tight so you will not get the floppy limb syndrome that pisses off people who like bot modes doing dramatic stance but who can't do them due to balance, loosness and weight reasons. (important as toys go to larger size)

Ratcheted joints help make posing in battroid worthwhile.

If you do get roy, do look for a floppy head turret. The one I have I think is 3rd release and the head sort of flops about in fighter. Not happy with that. :(

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Sundown--thank you, that is one of the things I was really wondering about---fit/finish.  The 1/60's, while a lot better than the M Plus valks, still just don't "click" together like I expect a $100 toy. My standard for big expensive transforming mecha is current MP Optimus Prime.  So very 'crisp' in every way.   (except the chest/windows, which I blame on being diecast---diecast adds weight, nothing more)   

I've got an MP Prime too, and from what I can remember, the quality is similar but different. MP Prime's heavy as all heck, and its metal parts and glossy paint and finish scream $$$! The 1/48's finish is slightly textured and rougher (the grain's intentional-- it's not because of shoddy workmaship), and the toy's relatively light in comparison, so it might not at first feel over a hundred bucks until you really start noticing how well engineered and intricate it really is.

What really takes my breath away is how the intakes click satisfyingly into their wells under the chest plate in fighter mode and how flush everything is afterwards. The legs even lock to the backpack, and the arms to the legs through small shallow pegs, but these don't lock as tightly as the other parts. It only takes a little bit of force to separate them, but the valk should hold together firmly as one solid mass once you give everything a slight squeeze. The easily separated legs are where you usually start in cracking and peeling the valk apart for transformation, so the shallow pegs are probably by design.

The MPC's fit is impressive, but that's sort of expected for something that essentially transforms into a cube. What amazes me about the 1/48 is how well parts fit together that I just didn't expect to.

While we're talking fit/finish--how are screws dealt with? Are there fewer, less obvious, those weird "rubbery round caps with a hexagonal top"? I haven't really noticed any in the pics.

The screws are for the most part in out of the way places. The most obvious ones are behind the shoulder blocks. A word of warning: one of the more problematic parts of the 1/48 design is the rubber cap designed to provide friction to the inner thigh socket. When the joint is too tight, moving the leg can crush the rubber cap and cause rubber to seep out of the socket. Just make sure to be careful when rotating the legs the first time. Go slow. Watch for rubber seepage, and as soon as you see any, remove the socket (it's detachable), and loosen the screw a tiny bit. This'll loosen the joint a little bit and prevent seepage from getting severe. You might want to just go ahead and loosen the socket the first time out.

Edited by Sundown

I've noticed that the earlier 1/48's tend to have a better fit in the various leg joints (knee guard and thigh assembly) than the newer releases (molds needing to be re-finished?). But the 1/48 really does come together very cleanly and parts will all snap into the correct placement and give a nice clean, almost seamless presentation.

From the perspective of someone who sees a 1/48 as a pretty major purchase not taken lightly: 

Having watched M Plus, DYRL, and M Zero (for the first time) this week I feel the need for more valks.  Since 1/48 will definitely be the new standard scale (with the VF-0 coming, and if we ever get new M Plus toys they'll likely be that too) I'm thinking about getting a 1/48 VF-1, which I still don't have.  Reading everything I could on this forum still didn't help much with my decision, so I'll ask people here.  My comments/questions/concerns:

My fave schemes are Milia's -1J and Roy's -1S.  I have both in 1/60.  Along those lines, I keep debating---it's hard for me to justify buying something I already have in a sense, but I also wouldn't really want to spend that kind of money on anything BUT my fave scheme.  I've been considering DYRL Hikaru's -1S, as I do like that scheme too and it's different from what I have already---but it just takes me back to  "I spent THAT kind of money on a scheme that's not a favorite"---but doing so would alleviate any sort of "wasted money" feelings I have by getting Milia or Roy's in 1/48.  I'm the kind of person that really hates having anything less than the best version of anything, but also the person who hates even more buying something then having to spend even more money to buy the better version of something I already have.  (Which is usually why I wait a long time before buying something---didn't work for VF-1's though) 

I'd appreciate posts from people who bought the 1/48 versions of 1/60 that they already had.  Would appreciate comments from those that don't buy a lot of valks.  (if you bought every 1/60 valk then every 1/48, I can probably guess what your comments are--you also have far more money for valks than me).  But if you only had 1 or 2 in 1/60, and then bought them again in 1/48, I'd appreciate comments/comparisons--mainly if you thought it was that much better than a 1/48, that you felt it was worth the upgrade. 

Would especially like a 1/60 to 1/48 Milia photo comparison---I can only ever find the default factory sample photos of the 1/48 Milia. 

Basically I'm just trying to figure out whether buying a 1/48 Milia is worth it, compared to my 1/60 Milia.  And if I were to get a 1/48, would I be better off getting something "new" I don't have at all (a Hikaru) or my fave scheme again that I already have in 1/60.  (Milia)  Then I get into "if I get Milia in 48, would I be satisfied, or would I have to get Roy's too?  Because if I "upgrade" Milia to 48 then I almost certainly have to do Roy's too.  And then I couldn't afford an Xbox 360... 

"Typing out loud" often helps me think, so even if no one replies it'll probably help me decide.  :)

382441[/snapback]

I started off w/ the VF-1S /w Super Strike Pack 1/48 - DYRL. But I don't think it really matter which one you pick because in the end, you WILL want every single one of them. If you doubt my words, ask around. :o

A simple question what would you choose the 1/48 or the upcoming MP-03 ?

382994[/snapback]

I would actually go for the MP-03 Starscream.

If I didn't have ANY 1/48's, then I would go with a 1/48 of course.

This Starscream has potential to be damn cool though, it's almost like a 1/48 Valk.

A robot that turns to a fighter plane, and will contain a lot of die cast metal. WOW! :o