Super Robot Wars Is Getting A Us Release!

JB0

Meh. Only reason this got through is its all original mecha, no anime crossovers.

:p

376623[/snapback]

Strangely, I don't care. :D

It's a start, if this sells then they might be inclinced to start gathering togther licenses and write an english specific game around what they can get.

But that's way off, right now I'm just elated that GBA's are region free.

We might also see the OVA released to conincide with this.

Licensng will be the big issue.

True.

Not to mention the fact that the SRW series is pretty damn boring, and not to mention easily playable in Japanese.

376700[/snapback]

As opposed to, say, Final Fantasy?

Not to mention the fact that the SRW series is pretty damn boring, and not to mention easily playable in Japanese.

376700[/snapback]

376716[/snapback]

With a little trial an error (or even better, a FAQ) it doesn't take long to figure out the commands. I prefer Giren's Greed or the Front Mission series, personally.

376700[/snapback]

376716[/snapback]

With a little trial an error (or even better, a FAQ) it doesn't take long to figure out the commands.

I'm not disputing that.

I'm just saying, dullness and ease of play haven't exactly stopped localizations before.

I prefer Giren's Greed or the Front Mission series, personally.

Haven't played Giren's Greed, but I have played Front Mission 1 and 3.

Forget why I quit playing 1, but 3 I was just spending more time in pre-battle menus than I was in battles, AND hit the point where I was getting my ass handed to me repeatedly no matter waht I did.

The latter doesn't bother me in and of itself, but I'd rather it either hand my ass to me fast or only do it once or twice, not 6-8 times in a row, with each time taking an hour or so.

It's a good game, and I'll come back later. It just becomes very easy to sink a lot of time into it and gain nothing.

Edited by JB0

We got SRW's for the PSP at fry's......................................................yeah spend your 60 dollars on crap you can't figure out what's really going on.

376736[/snapback]

Heh.

Sometimes it's mroe fun to make up a story.

Teh mute button makes DragonBall Z watchable.

• 3 months later...
I found some shots of this on Toysdaily of all places, the translations look like they'll actually be in the true spirit of super robot pilots.  :D

http://www.toysdaily.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44956

I don't think it's out yet, does it have a release date?

412469[/snapback]

According to Nintendo.com it's out next month, with OG2 following in September.

Mildly dismayed Atlus decided to go the retarded route and use Super Robot Taisen on the box instead of actually translating the title. Especially when Bandai uses the translated title regularly on the japanese media.

Cool, I saw variying dates from today to early august so I had no idea.

JBO, could you please post a note to let us know when it is out?

I don't mind them using Taisen on the box, it marks it out as a japanese game and also makes it different from every other title with war in it.

Cool, I saw variying dates from today to early august so I had no idea.

JBO, could you please post a note to let us know when it is out?

Assuming I can pry my fingers off the GBA long enough to post?

I don't mind them using Taisen on the box, it marks it out as a japanese game and also makes it different from every other title with war in it.

I consider such title treatments generally stupid.

While I would understand the logic if this was Sakura Taisen or Katamari Damacy, where they're known more by the japanese name, there's no such reason in this case.

The fans ALREADY know it as Wars. Heck, Bandai even uses Wars in their japanese material.

It'd be like releasing Macross as Chou Jikuu Yosai Macross instead of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross or Super Space Fortress Macross. It's not really more authentic, it's just less comprehensible.

Ah well... at least it's not a "totally authentic" Supaa Roboto Taisen. Atlus has their limits.

And really, it's just the title. I consider it a retarded move, but it's not going to hurt the content any.

The reason for the title being "Taisen" instead of "Wars" is because there is already a GBA US title called "Robot Wars". Otherwise it would have been kept as SRW.

So that it can match up with "Operation SRW", and Excellen's later interpretation of SRW.

Speaking of Excellen, there's going to be a lot of fun involving her and the Huckie.

Edited by Wing Commander Chen

Something for the PS2... well, there is the new OGs (compilation of OG1 and 2 with beefed up visuals... which also means it's a remake of a remake :ph34r: )

Whether or not Atlus will bring it over is yet to be seen. They haven't commented on any of the threads about it on their message board... but then again, they don't comment on much of anything on that board.

Anyways, I'm glad these games are coming over. Outside of these, the only SRWs that really appeal to me are 4/F (L-Gaim! Dunbine!) and Alpha 1 (Gunbuster! Macross!)...

But it HAS an anime series.

2, actually.

They recently did an OVA based on OG, and there's also a TV series about Cybuster.

Sadly, no one has yet gotten the raw testicular fortitude needed to deal with the licensing mess for a anime crossover Super Robot War anime.

Edited by JB0

They recently did an OVA based on OG, and there's also a TV series about Cybuster.

413445[/snapback]

The Cybuster series was awful though :p It didn't even have the original characters, no Masaki, no Ryune... no anyone.

OVA was good fanservice at least, get to see the PTs in full animation :lol: Oh, also lots of fanservice for Lamia fans

Edited by haro genki

A (hopefully) full length TV show that centers around Ruysei gives me hope for a DX SRX toy in the same vein as last years Aquarion.  :rolleyes:

413857[/snapback]

Actually the TV series IS centered around Ryusei as he joins the SRX team. They are using the SRW OG's Ryusei route storyline. So rejoice. :)

The OVA is set after the events in OG2.

I know it's been out for a while, but I just picked up SRW Alpha 3... Awesome game, and hopefully in the future (ps3 mayhaps), there will be translation patches for great games that never see the light of day in the U .S. due to insane licensing.

I know it's been out for a while, but I just picked up SRW Alpha 3... Awesome game, and hopefully in the future (ps3 mayhaps), there will be translation patches for great games that never see the light of day in the U .S. due to insane licensing.

414061[/snapback]

The big problem is manpower, it seems.

For example... Alpha Gaiden is cracked, hacked, and beaten. The issue is just the raw amount of dialogue that needs translating. There's just too much text and too few translators.

Same story applies to the SNES SRW Gaiden.

• 1 month later...

The game shipped tuesday. I got it yesterday.

It needed another run of proof-reading. There's some rather glaring errors and badly-placed paragraph breaks.

Impressively, it comes with a comprehensive 67-page manual. I haven't seen a manual that was genuinely useful since the SNES days. And it hasn't been COMMON since the NES.