Signature Lengths

I hate to join the whine brigade here, but I've gotta ask-- whats the stance on the lengths of signatures? I know images in signatures are prohibited, but as far as I can tell there isn't a limit to how many lines of text a member can have in their signature. Some members have incredibly long signature files which end up taking up a large amount of verticle space, which becomes ridiculous when they only post one or two line posts.

Most other forums I frequent have a limit (something sensible, around 5 lines or so) so I figured I'd throw out this idea.

Guest Bromgrev

Signatures? Oh, I remember those - they are one of those things I toggle 'do not display' on my control panel! B))

Edited by Bromgrev

The standard Avatar and Detailed Information settings on the left hand side of any post allow for some pretty large signatures. You can have five lines of text and still have many more lines of space to spare, so I think more is okay...to an extent.

Still, I undertstand the concern. So many signatures are filled with junk that really doesn't need to be posted. The signature is supposed to play a minor role after all.

Signatures? Oh, I remember those - they are one of those things I toggle 'do not display' on my control panel!  B))

371536[/snapback]

and ironically, you have a sig, as well as an avatar which you also say you turned off. LOL.

While I have signatures turned off, and have for quite awhile, I agree with yellowlightman here.

I wouldn't mind signatures if they didn't seem to all be "look at me" tags. A funny saying, a pithy quote...stuff like that is fine. I turned 'em off because I didn't like that I prejudged a lot of people on the inanity (inane-ness?) of their sigs. I don't think I was wrong often...but I like to start with a clean slate.

What's wrong with using 'sigs as a "look at me" attention getter? It's no different than cruising the streets in a '69 Charger or a classic Firebird, for example...

I must admit that I like the longer sigs of MW better and have a mderately sized one, but there are a few members with LV Lurker length sigs that are getting really annoying.... like, if you are going to put a wanted lsit in tehre, make it concise and small.... not huge assed bold colored font 20 lines long.

What's wrong with using 'sigs as a "look at me" attention getter?  It's no different than cruising the streets in a '69 Charger or a classic Firebird, for example...

371734[/snapback]

To each their own. I see it as much more analogous to the audacious and garish rice rockets than a classic car. I cruise around in my car purely for my enjoyment...I am actually mildly embarrassed that anyone would think I drive it for attention. As a former (and future) San Diegan, I can say that if anyone there had a classic muscle car for it's "look at me" value they would be quite dissappointed. At least that was true of the area I was in.

But as I was saying, to each their own. I don't like the attention grabbing aspect of forum signatures. If the rules tightened a bit...I might change my mind. That is all.

There's a difference betwene putting a half-page of dumb sci-fi quotes in your sig and "cruising" in a sweet ride.

Signatures can be useful, like Mr March's where he advertises the Macross DVD cases. As a service to the Macross community, that seems like a usefull thing to have as well as people that advertise their own stores or what not. The absurdity comes when people put tons of crap in their sig that no one cares about anyways.

There's a difference betwene putting a half-page of dumb sci-fi quotes in your sig and "cruising" in a sweet ride.

Signatures can be useful, like Mr March's where he advertises the Macross DVD cases. As a service to the Macross community, that seems like a usefull thing to have as well as people that advertise their own stores or what not. The absurdity comes when people put tons of crap in their sig that no one cares about anyways.

371790[/snapback]

I am of one mind with yellowlightman here as well.

I just made my sig a little bit smaller. I think too that horribly long and huge font sigs aren't necessarily that nice to the eye. Though, sigs can be pretty good stuff also. Umm, well I'm gonna say it now, posting your whole toy collection into your sig isn't really necessary...

Edited by Sdf-1

Actually, my feeling is that anyone should be able to put whatever they want into their sig - toy collection numbers, trivia, dumb quotes, whatever. It's their "personal space" for lack of a better term, and they should be able to fill it with whatever they feel like.

I don't think it's the content, as much as the actual amount of space that it can consume that could be percieved as a bit much.

Actually, my feeling is that anyone should be able to put whatever they want into their sig - toy collection numbers, trivia, dumb quotes, whatever. It's their "personal space" for lack of a better term, and they should be able to fill it with whatever they feel like.

I don't think it's the content, as much as the actual amount of space that it can  consume that could be percieved as a bit much.

371846[/snapback]

Yeah yeah, basically I agree with that. I put some nonsense in my sig too (anyone recognizes this one? :p ). I mean, if I don't think it's necessary to put collections in sig, some other guys propably think that's very interesting stuff. Overal, for me this is not a serious subject, but common sense is always good to use, in the lenght etc. Btw, it's a pretty good decision to not allow pics on signatures here. Though, small ones wouldn't be that bad either.

371790[/snapback]

I am of one mind with yellowlightman here as well.

371817[/snapback]

Many of the things that we do in our lives serves to garner attention in order to bolster ourselves and flatter our egos, whether it's quoting 'sigs, driving muscle cars, talking about your muscles (no offense A1), rushing to M7's defense, whatever, we're all attention whores and that's a basic fact of human psychology...

If anyone has a problem with the 'sigs, avatars or whatever just turn it off; why are we even talking about this...

Hey Phyrox, if you only have your car for the sake of your own personal enjoyment, why are you using it as your avatar for all of us to see? Also was that San Diego California that you used to live in, or was it San Diego Iraq? San Diego LOVES classics, especially muscle cars...

Edited by myk

Guest Bromgrev
Signatures? Oh, I remember those - they are one of those things I toggle 'do not display' on my control panel!  B))

371536[/snapback]

and ironically, you have a sig, as well as an avatar which you also say you turned off. LOL.

371655[/snapback]

Oh that? That's just my passport photo. And that's not a signature, it's a health-and-safety announcement.

I just hope I'm not missing out on any useful information in people's signatures. Maybe I'll just turn them back on when I finally move and get broadband. Or maybe there should just be a rule about sigs, same as for animated avatars.

I should start adopting the avatars of other people at random, just to sow confusion. And encourage others to do the same.

372131[/snapback]

You should use mine, it stars me and I am awesome.

The general rules is no pics in signatures and use common sense on everything else.

I don't recall us saying anything on the length but people should use common sense on Font or length. I assume once a bunch people forget to use common sense well need up making some offical stance on the subject.