Toy Points. What Were They For?

marx

Yeah they were for special mail-in offers. In the old-school TFs you could buy non-store toys like Reflector, Camshaft and Overdrive, etc., as well as joining the S.T.A.R.S. group which I'm sure some other poster will remember what the acronym stands for but it was like a fanclub with all your own crap. Dunno about GI Joes.

I never got any of this stuff cos I used to live outside of the applicable regions... :(

We mailed off for something with KoolAid points when I was little. Never got it.

370891[/snapback]

You know what me too!

I didn't drink koolaid but I remember buying some of it just to go the mail in offer never got it!

I'm taking a contract out on the Koolaid man!

I was looking at some of my japanese beast wars boxes. They got points on the back. 2 for the deluxe. I still have a fortress maximus from when I was kid. 16 points on the box.

I wonder where this point system started?

Candy, baseball card points?

I guess they found better gimmicks. Like the metal gear toys have a piece of metal gear. Marvel legends a piece of some larger figure like galactus or sentinel robot. The beast war annivesary toys have pieces of transmutate. That feels like the combiner gimmick that g1 trans had.

I don't think Serpentor was ever a mail-in figure.

The mail-ins were also a good way to pick up some "older" figures and vehicles that you never bought or missed when they were first in circulation.

Both the Joes and the TF's made these type of offers in their later years.

I don't think Serpentor was ever a mail-in figure.

Serpentor was always a figure pack at retail. He came with that flying vehicle thingy, but he may have been a mail in offer later on. The JUMP, MMS, Polar Bear, and I think the Whale, among others, were later mail in offers.

Ahh, Memphis beat me to the punch....

You're probably right, Memphis: Serpentor was first offered in stores. And then maybe later, he was offered as a mail-in figure.

And don't forget about the Cobra vehicles too! I picked up the HISS and FANG (the tank and the mini-helicopter) back in the day thanks to those mail-ins.

Ridiculous tangent: How many points do you think they would've required to get the USS Flagg (if they ever offered it)? :blink:

And speaking of which: How many points was the ol' Flagg worth?

BTW, Sgt Slaughter's initial vehicle was the Triple T. I never thought how many flag points the USS Flagg was worth. My youngest sister almost got this for me one Christmas as she worked at a Toy Store, but decided what I would do with a 7-ft. piece of plastic. I got shoes instead. :(

I have a USS Flagg complete with the box; I seem to remember it being printed in black/white and worth only 20 Flag Points...I'll have to pull it out of storage and check to be sure. While I'm at it, I'll also check the Flag Points on my Cobra Terror Drome and the Defiant Launch Complex (just won it on eBay last week).

While the USS Flagg was never offered as a mail-away (can you imagine what the S/H would have been) in the US, they were given away as the grand prizes in the "Live the Adventure" contests. There were a few Japanese USS Flaggs given away as call/mail-in contest grand prizes.

I have a USS Flagg complete with the box; I seem to remember it being printed in black/white and worth only 20 Flag Points...I'll have to pull it out of storage and check to be sure.  While I'm at it, I'll also check the Flag Points on my Cobra Terror Drome and the Defiant Launch Complex (just won it on eBay last week).

While the USS Flagg was never offered as a mail-away (can you imagine what the S/H would have been) in the US, they were given away as the grand prizes in the "Live the Adventure" contests.  There were a few Japanese USS Flaggs given away as call/mail-in contest grand prizes.

371135[/snapback]

The flag was THE toy of my generation. Awesome.

I remember getting the TV Camshaft by collectiong TF points. Never did get any Joes...but I wanted that 'create a Joe' baaaaad...just never sent away for it.

I also believe my sister and i both got plastic Kool-Aid cups by sending in points.

Could I be the only one that recieved items from the big red drink?

-RF

yup the create your own Gijoe was cool, i also got the stuff in from Kool Aid. so i guess a few of us were lucky.

chris

The only toy mail away I ever got was one well after I was a kid. I sent in for two of those 12" Limited Edition GI Joe "Joseph Colton" dolls. They sent me one and a refund for the other... seems they limited you to one per address. The thing is worth almost nothing today... yipee!  <_<

371311[/snapback]

I sent in for that, and they sent my flag points back saying they had sold out. Next thing I know, Hasbro sent me an Arctic Joseph Colton because so many people complained about not getting the Green Beret version. Go figure. :huh:

Well I remember getting Starwars stuff by clipping the names on the cards they came on. This was back in the days of Kenner and Palitoy, before they died and gave birth to Hasbro. You could get weapons sets or special figures and vehicals etc. I got some weapons packs and the Palpatine figure. I also got a Chebacca bandolier to wear, Come to think of it half the weapons packs were full of GI Joe bits.

I never did get and GI Joe figures as I was too into Starwars and BattlestarGalactica.

It's been a while, but I think I got a "hooded" Cobra Commander as a mail-away.

Don't remember if that version was ever packaged for retail though.

Hooded CC was available up until the very end, if I remember, when the original 3 3/4 Joes were replaced with Sgt. Savage and G.I. Joe Ultra. :(