Yahoo! Japan News Article on Macross

lebhead

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20030925...001048-mai-soci

from what i can make out, this article talks about Macross and Tatsunoko. i'm pretty illeterate in Japanese these days, so i was hoping somebody could translate it for me. i think it has something to do with the court ruling, but i'm not sure. sorry if this has already posted. thanks.

Well here is what babblefish has to say:

< Animation > " ƒ}ƒNƒƒX " copyright 2 making clear on child side of dragon Tokyo high court Popularity television animation " super spatial-temporal fortress (the way occasion) centering on the copyright of the ƒ}ƒNƒƒX ", " the child production of production company dragon " (Tokyo Kokubunji city) with the plan company " the studio ‚Ê you obtained " and (Nerima Ku) decision of the lawsuit which is disputed on the 25th, was Tokyo high court. As for the Yamashita Kazuaki President of the Court " child side of the dragon had owed economic responsibility e.g., animation is made to complete to the time limit, " doing, Tokyo district court decision (January) it continued, it recognized the fact that it is copyright on child side of the dragon. With another lawsuit, as for copyright in the design of the characters and the like, the decision which we assume there is on a ‚Ê obtaining side, has decided, reversion of copyright divided with the character which had become the animation work and the foundation. < Kobayashi direct > (Everyday the newspaper)

Looks like engrish.com won't be going out of business any time soon.

Hmm, looks like it probably says Tatsunoko still has copyright on the TV series, & Nue owns the copyright on the characters & concepts. i.e. the usual outcome.

"Hopefully" this part: "the decision which we assume that sew there is on a side, has decided, reversion of copyright divided with the character which had become the animation work and the foundation." means that Tatsunoko has to split the copyright with Nue?

It is probably safe to say this now, but I was told a few months ago that another ruling was to be handed down by the Tokyo Circuit Court regarding the Big West vs. Tatsunoko case sometime in September or October. Maybe this news piece has to do with that...

Well here is what babblefish has to say:
< Animation > " ƒ}ƒNƒƒX " copyright 2 making clear on child side of dragon Tokyo high court Popularity television animation " super spatial-temporal fortress (the way occasion) centering on the copyright of the ƒ}ƒNƒƒX ", " the child production of production company dragon " (Tokyo Kokubunji city) with the plan company " the studio ‚Ê you obtained " and (Nerima Ku) decision of the lawsuit which is disputed on the 25th, was Tokyo high court. As for the Yamashita Kazuaki President of the Court " child side of the dragon had owed economic responsibility e.g., animation is made to complete to the time limit, " doing, Tokyo district court decision (January) it continued, it recognized the fact that it is copyright on child side of the dragon. With another lawsuit, as for copyright in the design of the characters and the like, the decision which we assume there is on a ‚Ê obtaining side, has decided, reversion of copyright divided with the character which had become the animation work and the foundation. < Kobayashi direct > (Everyday the newspaper)

Looks like engrish.com won't be going out of business any time soon.

Yeah, anyone that knows another language gets a laugh when they see something translated with something like babelfish (I know Spanish).

But it doesn't actually tell us anything (babelfish crap, although this is worse than usual).

Here's an alternate translation I got using http://nifty.amikai.com/amitext/index2.jsp

copyright  2 審 are also the child sides of a dragon.  Tokyo High Court Judgment of the lawsuit for which the work company "the child production of a dragon" (Kokubunji-shi, Tokyo) and the plan company "studio ぬえ" (Nerima-ku) fought over the copyright of popular television animation "super-space-time fort (when like) MACROSS" was the Tokyo High Court on the 25th. Presiding Judge Kazuaki Yamashita admitted that copyright was in the child side of a dragon following the Tokyo District Court judgment (January) as "the child side of a dragon was [ economical ] responsible, such as completing animation by the term,." By another lawsuit, the copyright of patterns, such as characters, could be sewn, the judgment it is supposed that it is in a side had decided it, and attribution of copyright was divided in the character used as an animation work and its foundation. [Tadashi Kobayashi] (Mainichi Newspapers)

Edit: I'm guessing that "Tatsu no ko" means something like "child of dragon".

Edit2: Yup, "tatsu" is "dragon" in Japanese.

Edited by ewilen

Right back where we started...not knowing what's happening. :p

Seriously. At this point discussing the matter is useless, and we'd be better off banging our heads against Valkyrie-Exchanges' empty 1/48 Fast-Pak shelves. Heck, Macross is basically contraband here in the 'States, yet I am still able to buy my Valkyries, M0 episodes and whatnot, so I see no reason to even care about any judgements regarding the rights. Sure, I won't be able to catch the Low Visibility Valkyrie at a K-mart Blue Light Special sale, but I think I can live with that....

Edit: I'm guessing that "Tatsu no ko" means something like "child of dragon".

Edit2: Yup, "tatsu" is "dragon" in Japanese.

Odd.... all my dictionaries list tatsu as "stand" or "be built", and Ryu as dragon. :blink:

But Tatsu no ko means "child of *insert whatever tatsu means here*"

I could easily be wrong, but I did a few Google lookups and from what I see, both "tatsu" and "ryu" mean dragon, but "ryu" may be the more common word. Consider "dragon" & "wyrm" in English.

I kind of figured. I suppose Ruy is the more traditional chinese dragon while tatsu is the european dragon. :)

Tatsu is the true Japanese word for dragon.

In connection to the company, Tatsunoko means "Tatsu's Children." This is referring to company founder Tatsuo Yoshida and the titles (i.e. Mach Go-Go-Go, Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman, etc.) being his creations (or literally, his "children").

Yep, "tatsu" is dragon, and "Tatsu no Ko" (lit. Dragon's child) is the Japanese word for "seahorse."

But yeah, it looks like Tatsunoko has the rights to the animation, and Big West has the rights to the characters and story ideas.

How this will play out in the eventual assualt on HG is unclear to me, but then, i know almost nothing about law...

So...if I understand this correctly...and I don't claim that I do...the copyright of the animation was awarded to the dragon's child (Tatsunuko) where in a seperate suit, the copyright of the patterns was awarded to plan company "studio ‚Ê‚¦ (Studio Nue). In other words, this is the same ruling that we heard about ages ago. <_<

Which puts us right back where we started: confused.

Calling all Japanese speakers, Calling all Japanese speakers... :)

so then NUE means schwa E in english?

If you're refering to my post, then the answer is no. I tried cutting and pasting the character out of ewilen's post, but my PC didn't like it and spat out the schwa E instead.

Edited by bsu legato

Ryuu is the Japanese by way of Chinese word for dragon.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Here's one more I think you might like...

--

ware wa muteki nari!

wa ga kagewaza ni kanau mono nashi!

wa ga ichigeki wa muteki nari!

Kagewaza? Sounds like shadow skill.

Ryuu is the Japanese by way of Chinese word for dragon.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Here's one more I think you might like...

--

ware wa muteki nari!

wa ga kagewaza ni kanau mono nashi!

wa ga ichigeki wa muteki nari!

Kagewaza? Sounds like shadow skill.

Ah! Finally!! Someone who is able to spell the damn Kasapo chant right!!

Thank you very much!! :)

Yes... its Shadow Skill. I have been looking for the R2 release as the boot set I have has terrible sound. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

As many people that are on here, one would figure one of us would at least know someone who can read Japanese. :p

OK, OK, here you are... not as good as any Meltrans we might know (miss ya girl), but here's the best I can do while I'm hiding my monitor from my boss. ;)

Long story short, this appeal to the earlier January ruling couldn't overturn it, leaving Tatsunoko with the rights to the animation. So Keith's basicly right, nothing has changed, except that we can pretty much guess that nothing more will. After losing the first case and the appeal I can't really see Studio Nue pushing it any farther.

Tatsunoko Pro = Original Macross TV Show footage

Studio Nue = Character and Mecha designs and everything else Macross (7, +, 0, etc.)

Here's the whole thing.. check my work.

Tokyo High Court Sides with Tatsunoko Again on Macross Copyrights

The suit between production house Tatsunoko Productions and animation house Studio Nue contesting the ownership of copyrights to the popular TV Animation Super Dimension Space Fortress Macross was settled by the Tokyo High Court on the 25th (of September 2003). In remuneration for Tatsunoko Productions' work in bringing the series in under deadline and handling financial aspects Presiding Judge Yamashita Kazuaki (not sure on the given name) upheld the earlier January verdict that had awarded them the rights. (The second line in this paragraph actually has a quote, but I'm too rushed, and lazy, to spend the time properly phrasing it, hence it was paraphrased into the sentence).

In another suit the copyright to the character and mechanical designs was awarded to Studio Nue, splitting the copyright to the show from the rights to the designs that were returned (to Studio Nue).

Kobayashi from the Mainichi Shinbun (Sept. 25th 1:17pm)

uƒ}ƒNƒƒXv’˜ìŒ @‚QR‚à—³‚ÌŽq‘¤‚É@“Œ‹ž‚Ù

@l‹CƒeƒŒƒrƒAƒjƒ[ƒVƒ‡ƒ“u’´Žž‹ó—vÇi‚悤‚³‚¢jƒ}ƒNƒƒXv‚Ì’˜ìŒ ‚ð„‚èA§ì‰ïŽÐu—³‚ÌŽqƒvƒƒ_ƒNƒVƒ‡ƒ“vi“Œ‹ž“s‘•ªŽ›Žsj‚ÆŠé‰æ‰ïŽÐuƒXƒ^ƒWƒI‚Ê‚¦vi—û”n‹æj‚ª‘ˆ‚Á‚½‘iׂ̔»Œˆ‚ª‚Q‚T“úA“Œ‹ž‚Ù‚Å‚ ‚Á‚½BŽR‰º˜a–¾Ù”»’·‚ÍuŠúŒÀ‚܂łɃAƒjƒ‚ðŠ®¬‚³‚¹‚é‚È‚ÇŒoÏ“IÓ”C‚𗳂̎q‘¤‚ª•‰‚Á‚Ä‚¢‚½v‚Æ‚µ‚ÄA“Œ‹ž’nÙ”»Œˆi‚PŒŽj‚É‘±‚«A—³‚ÌŽq‘¤‚É’˜ìŒ ‚ª‚ ‚邱‚Æ‚ð”F‚ß‚½B

@•Ê‚Ì‘iׂÅA“oêl•¨‚È‚Ç‚Ì}•¿‚Ì’˜ìŒ ‚ÍA‚Ê‚¦‘¤‚É‚ ‚é‚Æ‚·‚é”»Œˆ‚ªŠm’肵‚Ä‚¨‚èAƒAƒjƒì•i‚Æ‚»‚ÌŠî‘b‚Æ‚È‚Á‚½ƒLƒƒƒ‰ƒNƒ^[‚Å’˜ìŒ ‚Ì‹A‘®‚ª•ª‚©‚ꂽBy¬—Ñ’¼zi–ˆ“úV•·j

[9ŒŽ25“ú13Žž17•ªXV]

Edited by LePoseur

I can live with that. Most importantly, it means HG can't go around trying to claim rights to anything after the TV series (which is what we want).

Hopefully Big West will take this to head with HG, bitch slap them down, and maybe, just maybe, we'll see a 2-3 episode volume release of Macross Zero by the time the 5th episode comes out in Japan.

I can live with that. Most importantly, it means HG can't go around trying to claim rights to anything after the TV series (which is what we want).

Hopefully Big West will take this to head with HG, bitch slap them down, and maybe, just maybe, we'll see a 2-3 episode volume release of Macross Zero by the time the 5th episode comes out in Japan.

I really hope that eventually happens

So , in short this means Studio Nue has the rights to all the designs , meaning the damn UN symbol (which is present in all macross series) is theirs , so there should be no problem with sequels.

Man , I'm so tired of waiting , I whish this will bring something good even if it's old news...

OK, OK, here you are... not as good as any Meltrans we might know (miss ya girl), but here's the best I can do while I'm hiding my monitor from my boss. ;)

Long story short, this appeal to the earlier January ruling couldn't overturn it, leaving Tatsunoko with the rights to the animation. So Keith's basicly right, nothing has changed, except that we can pretty much guess that nothing more will. After losing the first case and the appeal I can't really see Studio Nue pushing it any farther.

Tatsunoko Pro = Original Macross TV Show footage

Studio Nue = Character and Mecha designs and everything else Macross (7, +, 0, etc.)

Here's the whole thing.. check my work.

Tokyo High Court Sides with Tatsunoko Again on Macross Copyrights

The suit between production house Tatsunoko Productions and animation house Studio Nue contesting the ownership of copyrights to the popular TV Animation Super Dimension Space Fortress Macross was settled by the Tokyo High Court on the 25th (of September 2003). In remuneration for Tatsunoko Productions' work in bringing the series in under deadline and handling financial aspects Presiding Judge Yamashita Kazuaki (not sure on the given name) upheld the earlier January verdict that had awarded them the rights. (The second line in this paragraph actually has a quote, but I'm too rushed, and lazy, to spend the time properly phrasing it, hence it was paraphrased into the sentence).

In another suit the copyright to the character and mechanical designs was awarded to Studio Nue, splitting the copyright to the show from the rights to the designs that were returned (to Studio Nue).

Kobayashi from the Mainichi Shinbun (Sept. 25th 1:17pm)

uƒ}ƒNƒƒXv’˜ìŒ @‚QR‚à—³‚ÌŽq‘¤‚É@“Œ‹ž‚Ù

@l‹CƒeƒŒƒrƒAƒjƒ[ƒVƒ‡ƒ“u’´Žž‹ó—vÇi‚悤‚³‚¢jƒ}ƒNƒƒXv‚Ì’˜ìŒ ‚ð„‚èA§ì‰ïŽÐu—³‚ÌŽqƒvƒƒ_ƒNƒVƒ‡ƒ“vi“Œ‹ž“s‘•ªŽ›Žsj‚ÆŠé‰æ‰ïŽÐuƒXƒ^ƒWƒI‚Ê‚¦vi—û”n‹æj‚ª‘ˆ‚Á‚½‘iׂ̔»Œˆ‚ª‚Q‚T“úA“Œ‹ž‚Ù‚Å‚ ‚Á‚½BŽR‰º˜a–¾Ù”»’·‚ÍuŠúŒÀ‚܂łɃAƒjƒ‚ðŠ®¬‚³‚¹‚é‚È‚ÇŒoÏ“IÓ”C‚𗳂̎q‘¤‚ª•‰‚Á‚Ä‚¢‚½v‚Æ‚µ‚ÄA“Œ‹ž’nÙ”»Œˆi‚PŒŽj‚É‘±‚«A—³‚ÌŽq‘¤‚É’˜ìŒ ‚ª‚ ‚邱‚Æ‚ð”F‚ß‚½B

@•Ê‚Ì‘iׂÅA“oêl•¨‚È‚Ç‚Ì}•¿‚Ì’˜ìŒ ‚ÍA‚Ê‚¦‘¤‚É‚ ‚é‚Æ‚·‚é”»Œˆ‚ªŠm’肵‚Ä‚¨‚èAƒAƒjƒì•i‚Æ‚»‚ÌŠî‘b‚Æ‚È‚Á‚½ƒLƒƒƒ‰ƒNƒ^[‚Å’˜ìŒ ‚Ì‹A‘®‚ª•ª‚©‚ꂽBy¬—Ñ’¼zi–ˆ“úV•·j

[9ŒŽ25“ú13Žž17•ªXV]

Thank you very much for a clear interpretation...finally. So the original Macross will never be available for distribution outside Japan because Tatsunoko has legal ownership of the Television Series due to their financial involvment. However, the rest of the Macross franchise belongs to Big West, since Studio Nue has legal ownership of the character/mecha designs and because Tatsunoko had nothing to do with 99% of the rest of the franchise.

So does this mean there will never be a dubbed version of the Macross tv series? Does this mean that DYRL? is still a possibility, since that's oiuytside the "tv series" ownership? Does this mean the rest of the Macross franchise is free and clear for international distribution?

Just trying to clarify.

I'm sorry. I must have missed something. Where does it say that SN has the rights to the derivatives? I didn't see that in the article and I haven't read a court ruling that indicates so. So far the only concrete fact is that TP owns the copyright to the animated footage of SDF-Macross and SN owns the designs of SDF-Macross. I would love to see the derivative rights settled conclusively.

vinnie