So Who Actually Likes Macross?

yellowlightman

5 was The Final Frontier. They wasted a perfectly good series catch-phrase on a complete turd.

I don't remember much of it, other than the totally silly premise and an even worse execution, but I remember it being something of a Kirk vehicle, or maybe I think that because Shatner directed it. Kirk's awesome, but he's awesome when placed in dire situations and opposite compelling characters. Otherwise, he sort of just flops around and goes "look at meee!"

Yes, I hated Kirk's parts in Generations. "Oh my! *croak*" I wanted to give him CPR just so I could stab him and properly kill him again.

But if mechs are good, and boobs are good, then mecha boobs SHOULD be the greatest thing in the world, right?

Hmm.

*Starts a Macross, Star Wars, 24 crossover fanfic. Starring me.*

Well, sometimes the greatness of one thing is diluted by the lesser greatness of the other. No points for guessing which is the greater. So, when's the VF-0's coming out again?

I love Macross, even the one where they blew up the Enterprise and it turned out Minmay's singing abilities came from medichlorians.

What's scary is that I had to read that three times before I figured out what was wrong there. My immediate emotional reaction upon reading it perfectly fits my sentiments on just about everything.

Put in lots of blood, gore and maybe even gruesome ways of dying like in DYRL. Perhaps have somebody being physically eaten by a monster and having thier body ripped apart because the demons are feeding off life energy and need to become cannibals like what you see in zombie flicks. (ie but make the victims scream in terror from the pain like in jurrassic park or jaws)

Oookaay. Not creepy at all. O_o

(they could portray the aliens in that dimension as being strange HP Lovecraft style creatures with no remorse or care for humans but 10 times more creepy than the ones in the show. If the Zentradi are "Satan's Dolls", soldiers who are slaves and programmed to just kill planets and rape other alien lifeforms by wiping them out of existence, then the protodevlin must be something even more scary than these guys. Especially when you see Exedol's reaction to the word protodevlin even though hes seen it all. The imagery of the protodevlin in macross 7 just didn't warrant exedol's reaction of being scared and comes off as unrealistic.

Now you're talking. I mean with the HP Lovecraftian aliens. Aliens so ancient and inscrutable that our silly notions of right and wrong have absolutely no meaning to them, and their heinous plans much too deep and insidious for us to grasp. You have me, except for the rape part. But then again, M7 does have hentai monsters ready for that sort of thing.

But if mechs are good, and boobs are good, then mecha boobs SHOULD be the greatest thing in the world, right?

Hmm.

*Starts a Macross, Star Wars, 24 crossover fanfic. Starring me.*

Well, sometimes the greatness of one thing is diluted by the lesser greatness of the other. No points for guessing which is the greater. So, when's the VF-0's coming out again?

So 2 items of dissimilar greatness, rather than adding together, instead compete with and detract from each other's innate greatness? I get it now!

You are indeed a wise man.

So 2 items of dissimilar greatness, rather than adding together, instead compete with and detract from each other's innate greatness?  I get it now!

368846[/snapback]

Um. Yes...? Yes! Of course. Finally you get it. Yes, now you see. Except for one detail, young learner. Really, boobs > than all.

And one last lesson. Some great things can be complimented by other great things. Taken at the same time together, but never to be combined as one:

I give you boobs, and guns. Good. Boobs that shoot bullets, however, or guns that squirt milk? Bad.

So 2 items of dissimilar greatness, rather than adding together, instead compete with and detract from each other's innate greatness?  I get it now!

368846[/snapback]

Um. Yes...? Yes! Of course. Finally you get it. Yes, now you see. Except for one detail, young learner. Really, boobs > than all.

And one last lesson. Some great things can be complimented by other great things. Taken at the same time together, but never to be combined as one:

I give you boobs, and guns. Good. Boobs that shoot bullets, however, or guns that squirt milk? Bad.

368862[/snapback]

I clearly have much to learn.

I clearly have much to learn.

368878[/snapback]

Lol....Such restraint...

Edited by myk

I almost forgot another thing that keeps me glued to Macross: the music!

I mean there is hardly any franchise with a greater variety of musical styles but they are all (well mostly) great to listen to.

The first Macross Soundtracks I got were the two M+ CDs and Yoko Kanno, despite being kinda derivative (let´s face it: Voices IS some kind of Ryuichi Sakamoto ripoff -just one example) the music blew me away.

But what really grabs me even more are the Kentaro Haneda tracks from SDF and DYRL: sometimes they even sound like music that elderly people might hear in a café in the afternoon, but then they change into a tension and grandeur to put scores by John Williams or James Horner to shame. The style is varied with orchestral pieces next to guitar solos - all the music from the fighting sequences both in DYRL and SDF is awesome and, despite being from the 80s, has become kinda timeless IMO.

Even the Minmay J-pop songs have grown on me, but I admit I didn´t like most of them in the beginning.

With different music, Macross would have a completely different impact, and I absolutely LOVE the way it is executed no matter which series. If anyone is in doubt how important the music is, just compare any episode of Macross SDF with its RT counterpart: the different music may not be the main reason why people tend to dislike RT, but in its plainness it manages to kill a lot of the magic of the original series.

If anyone is in doubt how important the music is, just compare any episode of Macross SDF with its RT counterpart: the different music may not be the main reason why people tend to dislike RT, but in its plainness it manages to kill a lot of the magic of the original series.

368913[/snapback]

That's kind of funny, because I actually like RT's music better, with exception to most of the Minmay songs. Of course, I'd been exposed to RT first, and it better fits my western sensibilities. But there are a few RT tracks that I'm actually kind of sorry aren't part of the real Macross score, like a couple of the Zentradi themes, and even a few versions of the main RT theme.

If anyone is in doubt how important the music is, just compare any episode of Macross SDF with its RT counterpart: the different music may not be the main reason why people tend to dislike RT, but in its plainness it manages to kill a lot of the magic of the original series.

368913[/snapback]

That's kind of funny, because I actually like RT's music better, with exception to most of the Minmay songs. Of course, I'd been exposed to RT first, and it better fits my western sensibilities. But there are a few RT tracks that I'm actually kind of sorry aren't part of the real Macross score, like a couple of the Zentradi themes, and even a few versions of the main RT theme.

368937[/snapback]

Perfectly understood, Sundown! In my case, Macross came first and I got used to it. I only had 2 episodes at the time (and the music is particularly good in the beginning with NO songs or eerie violins, just the cool stuff) and was starving to get more so I bought a couple of Robotech tapes - I knew nothing about the differences and of course I was kinda shocked about the entirely replaced soundtrack so I of course I just did not want to like it!

I cannot say that the entire RT music is crap, it has some catchy themes (I remember the main theme being somewhat similar to John Williams´ Superman movie theme ) and it fits the anime in its own rights. It is, as you say, obviously composed to be palpable by a western audience. Naturally, if we are used to things like re-occurring music from a long-running show, we don´t want to have it replaced no matter which one is "original".

Here in Germany we had the same thing with "Captain Future": The whole score was replaced - I only know the german version and I love it so I don´t know if I really WANT to hear the japanese original...

Robotech had a pretty good BGM. You could also argue that the songs in The New Generation are superior to much of what was in MOSPEADA. Actually, I think MOSPEADA has some of the most consistantly bad music of any anime I have ever watched.

Macross with the original songs, but the Robotech BGM? It would be insteresting to see how it worked.

It's funny, but I really don't like the bulk of Minmay's songs. "Runner" and "Love Drifts Away" are the only two from the original series that I care anything about. Toss in "Love, Do you Remember?" and "An Angel's Paints" from DYRL/FB2012, and that's only four Minmay tunes that I like.

The music from Macross Plus, to me, was pretty damn cool. "Information High" was the most awesome. I like it so much, I bought the soundtrack some years ago and still listen to it in my truck on the way to work on occasion. My co-workers think I'm weird.

The music from Macross II was very nice. And the "Song of Life" in Zero was hauntingly beautiful. At the risk of sounding like a wuss, I choked up a little when that song kicked in as Shin was falling to his death and Sara's "spirit" came back for him in the last episode.

Fire Bomber's stuff I've heard so far in M7 is good as far as I'm concerned. It has more of a rock 'n roll sound, which works for me.

Just my two cents worth.

Macross with the original songs, but the Robotech BGM? It would be insteresting to see how it worked.

368958[/snapback]

This would be blasphemy to some, but for me, would be the perfect Macross. I even really like some of the Minmay-related instrumentals. I remember that one piece that sounded a little bit Chinese, and had these strings being plucked in this melancholy manner. I think they tended to use it during the quiet moments where they show the aftermath of battle, Macross life, and Rick moping about something or other. It was just really moody. Man, that really still hits me hard nostalgically.

Macross Plus music got some extensive club play. Its clearly the highest quality music in the Macross franchise.

369025[/snapback]

Clubs where, in the US!?

369106[/snapback]

No kidding...a regular night club? And...what tracks? I could see Information High I guess.

I've only seen macross, and i absolutely loved it. Ive seen a little bit of Macross 0, but like someone said earlier, some stuff in that seems more high-tech than in Macross. Im not 100% sure, but last time i checked the VF-1 couldnt shoot down missiles by just having the pilot look at them..

Macross II: Well, if it isn't obvious enough already, Macross II is my absolute favorite. ^_^ The music and the massive space battles is what did it for me. Songs like Futari, Kizuna, Kyoukou Toppa, Mou Ichido Love You, Ark of Alus and Tsubasa with the animation playing with those songs made some memorable moments for me.

SDF-Macross: SDF-Macross couldn't possibly go lower than #2 on my list. GOT TO LOVE the original series that started it all. Violin of Tears, Startdust Memory, and Melody of Sorrow are probably my three fav. musical pieces w/in SDF-Macross; so many others I like too. Then there are the episodes "Bye-Bye Mars" and "Pineapple Salad" that I can't get enough of.

Macross Plus & Macross DYRL?: Macross Plus and Macross DYRL? take the number 3 spot, can't love one more or less than the other. The movies kicked @$$!!! (for lack of better wording).

Macross Zero: What can I say, the anime is just stunning; but it didn't quite make as big of an impact as the others did on me. Still great non-the-less though!

Macross Flashback 2012: Great way to end SDF-Macross but as someone else said, it's pretty much a music video with the new footage at the start and ending. As with Zero, still great non-the-less!

Macross 7: I have yet to see anything 7

So all in all, you could say I like the series as a whole ^_^

Edited by Oihan

The good thing about macross II is the speed of the fight, the drones or bits they use alongside the fighter to boost firepower (why don't they have more of that in macross? I think it is cool) and the characters. It showed that un spacy is NOT invincible just because of singing which people would assume would last forever. So it brings back that sense of danger. Contrast this to macross 7 where music took entire control of the show and the military is powerless without basara and pop bands.

In the intro when you see the fighter transform into the robot and fire with the gunpod, I especially like the timing for it. You know how in kung fu movies when they want to show a dramatic finish so they pause a little for the finishing move that take the enemy out in style? Well that's what I liked about that bit. There was a dramatic flare to the way the robots would move. Sure this was a clone of DYRL but it gave more of what I wanted. Macross 7 battles on the other hand felt a little flat apart from the stuff at the end wen max and milia get into their vf22S to kick ass.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I've never heard any Macross music in night/dance clubs here, but this is Alberta, so it's no surprise. On occassion I have heard re-mixes of anime music here in Calgary. The Hi-Fi Club here in the city has been known to produce a few obscure tracks for dancing that include anime music I recognize as well as the rare computer music remix.

Macross Plus music got some extensive club play. Its clearly the highest quality music in the Macross franchise.

369025[/snapback]

Clubs where, in the US!?

369106[/snapback]

In Europe to, from what I understand. Extensive may have been an overstatement, but it certainly got some attention.

Clubs, raves, straight or remixed.

Edited by Duke Togo

369025[/snapback]

Not that Macross Plus didn't have great music, but since when are dance clubs with their shitty techno, the standard of good music? If anything, I'd be offended to hear Plus's music degraded to that.

369025[/snapback]

Not that Macross Plus didn't have great music, but since when are dance clubs with their shitty techno, the standard of good music? If anything, I'd be offended to hear Plus's music degraded to that.

369250[/snapback]

Too good for clubs? Mom's basement has hotter women?

369025[/snapback]

369250[/snapback]

Too good for clubs? Mom's basement has hotter women?

369254[/snapback]

And plenty of Fire Bomber tunes...

368913[/snapback]

368937[/snapback]

Perfectly understood, Sundown! In my case, Macross came first and I got used to it. I only had 2 episodes at the time (and the music is particularly good in the beginning with NO songs or eerie violins, just the cool stuff) and was starving to get more so I bought a couple of Robotech tapes - I knew nothing about the differences and of course I was kinda shocked about the entirely replaced soundtrack so I of course I just did not want to like it!

I cannot say that the entire RT music is crap, it has some catchy themes (I remember the main theme being somewhat similar to John Williams´ Superman movie theme ) and it fits the anime in its own rights. It is, as you say, obviously composed to be palpable by a western audience. Naturally, if we are used to things like re-occurring music from a long-running show, we don´t want to have it replaced no matter which one is "original".

Here in Germany we had the same thing with "Captain Future": The whole score was replaced - I only know the german version and I love it so I don´t know if I really WANT to hear the japanese original...

368949[/snapback]

Well if he thinks that RT's music is good is his own opinion but if he thinks that Reba West's drunken lounge act singing is better than Mari's, well he better impale himself or or I'll do it for him. :angry:

I've only seen macross, and i absolutely loved it. Ive seen a little bit of Macross 0, but like someone said earlier, some stuff in that seems more high-tech than in Macross. Im not 100% sure, but last time i checked the VF-1 couldnt shoot down missiles by just having the pilot look at them..

369128[/snapback]

That must have been some lost tech that never made it into the series after all whatever new tech that was on Earth up unto Feb 2011 was lost when Boldolza razed the surface.

Oh Yeah I forgot to post my favorite.

SDF MAcross (unedited) (10/10

DYRL (9/10)

FlashBack 2012 (7/10) I believe there should have been some dialouge at the end

Macross Plus (9/10) Liked the YF-19 design and YF-21 and Sharon and the music.

Macross II (3/10) no comment

Macross 7 (5/10) Basara was annoying, Mylene Veffedas Bridge bunnies Emilia and Silvil rocked.

Macross Zero (8/10) Should shown a scene of the Macross pre-2009 reconstruction.

EDIT: Heh, I meant Flashback 2012.  I have no idea where I got 2038.

368231[/snapback]

There was a game for the PC called MAcross 2038 I believe. :D

369362[/snapback]

PCEngine. Which is a diffrent beast entirely.

In the US, the PCEngine is known as the TurboGrafX 16.

Was also 2036. Which is close enough to 2038.

And technically, was a SuperCD game(there's 3 or 4 diffrent levels of PCEngine CD capability, depending on what hardware and/or boot card you have, with the main diffrence being how much RAM you have to work with, and SuperCD happens to be the best-supported level, if I recall).

Well if he thinks that RT's music is good is his own opinion but if he thinks that Reba West's drunken lounge act singing is better than Mari's, well he better impale himself or or I'll do it for him. :angry:

369363[/snapback]

You know, I'm actually here, so you can actually address me directly with any threats of running me through with a sharp stick. And no, Reba's crummy, but I do find her voice acting less distracting than Mari's accented one in the dub. And I'll admit to liking a few of the RT Minmay songs, even if they're horribly delivered.

Say what you will about Mari's accent, but she delivers her lines correctly, and she can actually pronunce everyones names. Even in English, she far more fits the role than rebecca forstadt.

369025[/snapback]

369250[/snapback]

You fail at life. PERIOD. You're just wasting everyone else's air now.

A club I used to frequent in Little Rock did play a macross plus tune every once in a great while (a couple of other japanese techno tunes were also played, but I didn't recognize if they were from anime or not). What's more it was well received and fit in very well with the rest of the music being played. I'd hardly call the likes of Paul Oakenfold, Jan Johnston, and Paul Van Dyk "shitty".