Hidetaka Tenjin Valkyries Art Book

Skullsixx

Where did you get it?

Mainly the only ones I've seen are the ones used for the model cover box art. How many pictures are in this book? Does it give some mini technical analysis of each Valkyrie (I'm a totaly stats "whore" kinda person, I love stats/numbers) somewhat akin to http://www.mahq.net/?

How many pages, pictures, and other notable features are in this book? Also what's the dimension of book?

If I do get it, I'll most likely get it from HLJ. They do have some instock.

Dude,

It has just about every Valkyrie imaginable. It includes the Series, DYRL, VFX 1 & 2, model covers, MZero, and a few other paintings. As far as technical info... it's pretty much an art book. Unless you know how to read the small print in Japanese. Thare are a few new pieces such as the cover (which is incredible) and a illustration of a WWII Bristish Spitfire, a gnarly unfolding pullout of Hikaru and his Valk in the hangar, and a new one of Roy in his flight suit.

I dont consider tenmji's work "paintings" they are digitally created. you need to see Takani. he is the one Temjin based everything off of. In terms of layout and lighting. even the perspective is the same on soem of his digital works.

349956[/snapback]

I strongly disagree with the statement that Tenjin based 'everything' off of Takani.

While it's true that the layout of the first 3 of the early Hasegawa VF-1 fighter mode box art pics (VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1J Hikaru & VF-1S Focker fighter modes) share certain similarities to Takani's work, with regard to layout, lighting etc, this is not really true for the bulk of Tenjin's Macross work, including the majority of his Hasegawa box art kits.

IMO Tenjin's box art for the Hasegawa Macross Plus kits, Macross Zero kits, M7 kit and VF-X2 kit is certainly very different from Takani's style IMO. Even most of the VF-1 kits such as the VF-1 battroid kits, Strike & Super VF-1 Fighters and VT-1 & VE-1 bear no resemblance to Takani's style IMO.

With regard to the similarities between Takani's Macross box art and Tenjin's early Hasegawa VF-1 fighter box art pics I have heard two stories from fairly reliable sources with regard to this. One is that the similarities by Tenjin were intentional as a homage to Takani. Two, that Hasegawa asked Tenjin to do the box art in a similar style. Not sure if either of these stories are true though.

Also, you have to remember that Tenjin was creating Macross art long before Hasegawa commissioned him to do the art for their Macross models. In his pre-Hasegawa days, Tenjin had some great Macross pics on his Valkyrie Maniax site (now sadly down). These had no resemblence to Takani's work. Tenjin has also created art for the Maross games VFX-2 and MPGE, the stunning Japanese Macross Plus DVD box art and Macross calendar art. Again all very different from Takani's art.

I have great respect for both Takani and Tenjin and personally find their artistic styles widely different.

I've previously heard several members of this forum accuse Tenjin of plagiarizing Takani's work and it always annoys the heck out of me (although I am not accusing you of this Solscud).

Graham

Takani's work is all over the place, tons of 70s-80s japanese model kit box art, and for Dougram, Gundam and macross, I believe the ARII/Imai and bandai kits had his box art.

350976[/snapback]

Shin is correct, Takani did most of the model box art for the old Imai/Arii/Bandai Macross kits. He also did the amazing box art for the old Bandai Xabungle kits. He has also been doing military model box art for decades.

His most recent Macross work AFAIK, was the art for the Wave 1/72 scale Macross 7 VF-17 & VF-19Kai/Blazer vinyl battroid kits back in 1995. His VF-17 Battroid box art being my favorite piece of his work.

There are actually two Takani art books published that I know of. I have both of them. The first was published in 1983. This book is fairly hard to track down now, although I imagine Seichi could probably help.

The second book was published a year or two ago and can still be found online. This book has about 8 pages of his Macross box art pics, full page size with no writing covering them. IMO, it's worth it just for those pics.

Graham

Also another similarity is that Tenjin, like Takani, also does a lot of artwork for model kit boxes with ships, and WWII motifs, as well as airplanes. Tenjin has done many pieces for Hasegawa. In some ways perhaps it is safe to say out of respect that Tenjin is this generations Takani. In some ways they both went down a similar path, one with traditional and one with digital. There is no doubt in my mind that Tenjin also has a decent background in traditional art as well as evidenced by stuff on his studio tenjin site and sketches. I hope someone could translate the interview that is in his valkyrie book.

Also another similarity is that Tenjin, like Takani, also does a lot of artwork for model kit boxes with ships, and WWII motifs, as well as airplanes.  Tenjin has done many pieces for Hasegawa.  In some ways perhaps it is safe to say out of respect that Tenjin is this generations Takani.  In some ways they both went down a similar path, one with traditional and one with digital.  There is no doubt in my mind that Tenjin also has a decent background in traditional art as well as evidenced by stuff on his studio tenjin site and sketches.  I hope someone could translate the interview that is in his valkyrie book.

351824[/snapback]

Tenjin does ships, planes etc. for Hasegawa? I´ve never realized that, I always thought Tenjin was just hired for the Macross stuff and other SciFi-related kits like the Ultraman VTOL.

The planes are mostly done by Shigeo Koike I think with some work done by others like Satake (at least he has done almost all of ARII, Aoshima and Dragon´s plane kits) or Maio.

By the way, Takani is still around and I think it is safe to say that his style is getting some kind of renaissance in Japan.

While he regularly done some ship/tank illustrations for PitRoad etc. in the past, Aoshima is now reissuing their ship kits in a a new "Art by Takani" box- same kits just new art!

Look at Dragon´s new Bismarck - Takani style at its best!

As for the Tenjin/Takani comparison I cannot see much Takani influence in Tenjins work apart from some obviously "homage" perspectives such as the Visa credit card image of the Hikaru VF-1J.

If you really desperately want to find similarities I´d say he can be compared with Shigeo Koike as far as perspective, lighting and detailing is concerned. Maybe Tenjin used the overall effect of the wonderful Koike planes as a starting point for his Hasegawa works, his earlier Macross works as seen in the Valkyries book have a much more obvious "digital rendering" style....

Takani´s style is actually much rougher, he is a real brush painter and his renderings of metal, bolts and dirt, together with smoke, clouds etc. combine to a dramatic and "edgy" feel - sometimes he seems so busy with metal textures he doesn´t even care of little perspective inconsistencies. IMO his paintings are still the most impressive!

But that doesn´t mean I don´t love Tenjins Valkyries, it´s just a different style. For digital pictures, his works go far beyond the usual smoothed out, semi-photorealistic images one is so used to see these days. He definitely knows his trade and he is just using his computer screen instead of traditional canvas. There is NO way I´d call him less of an artist just because he doesn´t use a brush!

The Valkyries book is great, and anyone interested in impressive, artistic captions of their favorite transforming fighter should go and get it!!!

I love Takani's work.  Very cool and with traditional touch.  I like Tenjin as well.  I wish I knew his method to creating his works on the comp.

Tenjin has done some bandai MG box art and some planes for hasegawa as well.  Its on his site.

352646[/snapback]

Been to his website, all he says is Mac + Photoshop. A lot of people work with these but few know how to create real masterpieces. And I forgot the F-14 and MIG-29 illustrations he did for Hasegawa of course!

But have you seen what he states as his "occupation"? "illustrator, designer, etc.,.., actor, narrator, writer" -He is either the new renaissance man or completely crazy. Almost Buckaroo Banzai ;)

I've always been interested in seeing how he does his pieces. I've been confused, does he make 3D models and paint over them in photoshop? The man is talented, if he isn't painting skins for 3d models then he has to have had experience using traditional medium, otherwise it'd be very difficult for him to turn out the masterpieces that he does. (most of the best digital artists can do well with traditional media and are usually well versed in that before using the comp since the comp is simply just another tool to learn much like the pencil or pen, just more open). And yes this guy must work a LOT........he sure does have a lot of work to his credit as well. He is credited in stuff for macross zero as well.

• 1 year later...

Bought the book when it first came out, it does look good but the price is steep. It's more of a coffee table book to occasionally peruse once in a while.

• 3 weeks later...
For those who want a preview of what's in the book:

http://photo.163.com/photos/led2989/68769218/#p1

I love the pics with cockpits the best. As a drawer, I tended to lavish details with exposed panels, bays, open cockpits just to throw in tons of little details. The pic with Roy's VF-1S sitting in a hanger is another great one to me with all the support equipment and servicing lines.