Robocop remake? Say it ain't So!

eugimon

taken from www.darkhorizons.com without permission:

"Three films, some cable TV shows and a short lived series aren't enough to keep Paul Verhoeven's cybernetic creation down, now word comes from CHUD that a remake of the science fiction classic is in the works.

According to that lovable site of booze, boobs and tasteful bisexuality (is there any other kind?), their "source is usually quite reliable with intel, as unfortunate as that may be in this case... producer Michael De Luca and Sony have apparently decided to dismantle the scrap and solder it back together for a 21st century version of the heavy-steppin' police weapon... Word is that original Robocop director Paul Verhoeven wisely wants nothing to do with it."

Set in a crime-ridden futuristic Detroit, the original film told of a mortally wounded law officer becomes part of a corporate experiment in which his remains are encased in a robotic suit and unleashed on the city's felons.

Thanks to 'I Once Posited...If Dave & Devin Are The Oreo Cookie, Does That Make Me The Creamy Filling?'"

Maybe it's time to consider abolishing copyright protections just so that studios can't hold onto and "reinvent" popular and well-liked movies/TV series every few years when they get short of cash. This is getting ridiculous.

Edited by Pat Payne

"I won't buy that for a dollar"

344175[/snapback]

:lol:

My thoughts exactly! Is there no originality left in Hollywood??? <_<

Off the top of my head I can think of the following recycled titles...

King Kong

The Fog

Cheaper by the Dozen

Godzilla

The Longest Yard

The Amityville Horror

The Bad News Bears

Ocean's Eleven

Night of the Living Dead

Day of the Dead

Throw in some more, there are plenty for sure...about 90% are crap.

Edited by Zor Primus

Let's see, they're remaking Robocop, and working on a TV series and new movie for Terminator.

Any guesses how long untill we see a Terminator Vs Robocop movie? :rolleyes:

344207[/snapback]

About the only place that could be allowed or even be entertaining to watch would be as a celeberty death match. :ph34r:

Robocop, like Predator, isn't even that old, and still stands up well with current films.

It's one thing to reach way back and pick up the rights to remake an old film like say, Singing in the Rain. Irritating as it is, I'll even give them the modern movie adaptation of a TV show or the Americanizing of a foreign film. But remaking a film where most of the cast is still acting? What's next? Remaking movies while they're still in their theatrical run?

"I just saw this movie, Get Rich or Die Trying, and it hit me! This movie would really speak to today's audience if we replaced 50 Cent's character with a single mother."

Robocop is a classic. Any remake is just going to replace Verhoeven's jabs at modern consumerism with over-the-top CGI, and instead of giving the roles to talented actors, they'll just be played by whatever teenagers are popular on the WB curretntly. This movie was destined to be lame before they even set about writing the script.

"I won't buy that for a dollar"

344175[/snapback]

:lol:

My thoughts exactly! Is there no originality left in Hollywood??? <_<

Off the top of my head I can think of the following recycled titles...

King Kong

The Fog

Cheaper by the Dozen

Godzilla

The Longest Yard

The Amityville Horror

The Bad News Bears

Ocean's Eleven

Night of the Living Dead

Day of the Dead

Throw in some more, there are plenty for sure...about 90% are crap.

344195[/snapback]

Casablanca (remade as a TV movie and also indirectly as the craptastic Barb Wire)

Psycho

Cabinet of Dr. Cagliari

Yojimbo (as "A Fistful of Dollars -- not bad, but a remake)

Seven Samurai (as "The Magnificent Seven")

The Front Page (As "His Girl Friday" and "The Front Page")

The Ten Commandments (remade by the same director, no less)

Cape Fear

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Remake is actually more famous than the original)

The Evil Dead (as "Evil Dead II" :p )

To Be or Not to Be

The Lion in Winter

Mutiny on the Bounty

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Italian Job

Ocean's Eleven

Kelly's Heroes (as "Three Kings")

The Parent Trap

Freaky Friday

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

Double Indemnity

The Thomas Crown Affair

The Omega Man (to be remade in 2007)

Little Shop of Horrors

The Shop Around the Corner (as "In the Good Old Summertime" and "You've Got Mail")

Willard

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (as "Heaven Can Wait")

Dawn of the Dead

Yours, Mine and Ours

Edited by Pat Payne

Paul Verhoeven is one of the worst Hollywood directors ever!!! All his flicks blow chunks!!! I can't believe you guys would even blink at this! The designs, acting, and lighting in this movie are horrid! The characters are so tongue in cheek that they are purely stupid. This movie came out during a period when Hollywood was making pure crap. Star Trek VI, Indy IV, Batman and RoboCop are some of ther biggest dissapointments I have ever seen. If they remake it, I hope they improve it, and there's A LOT of room for improvement.

You forgot Ben Hur.

345319[/snapback]

I did. Arigato gozaimashita :)

If Tinsel town is going to remake/revisit/revise something, it should be the original Star Wars trilogy. I'd love to watch 'Lucas reap untold profits yet again while pissing off all of those obsessive fans that live for nothing else...

Besides, an original trilogy done in the style of the new trilogy would be interesting, with plenty of room to expand on the Gungans and their contribution to the universe...

Paul Verhoeven is one of the worst Hollywood directors ever!!! All his flicks blow chunks!!! I can't believe you guys would even blink at this! The designs, acting, and lighting in this movie are horrid! The characters are so tongue in cheek that they are purely stupid. This movie came out during a period when Hollywood was making pure crap. Star Trek VI, Indy IV, Batman and RoboCop are some of ther biggest dissapointments I have ever seen. If they remake it, I hope they improve it, and there's A LOT of room for improvement.

345329[/snapback]

I'm sorry, what planet are you from? Because I'm totally not relating to what you're saying.

that's a cyberman from doctor who...

i hope

it looks like the iron giant

I was just thinking that it kinda looks like Iron Man.

345329[/snapback]

I'm sorry, what planet are you from? Because I'm totally not relating to what you're saying.

actually I agree with him. Aside from Robocop, which is perfect the way it is, all his movies suck. I'd say he's equivalent to those bands that have the one hit wonders.

Edited by >EXO<

so they finally revealed the new robocop for the remake...

345281[/snapback]

That's gotta be a joke... Looks like the main robot from Metropolis.

345329[/snapback]

actually I agree with him. Aside from Robocop, which is perfect the way it is, all his movies suck. I'd say he's equivalent to those bands that have the one hit wonders.

345481[/snapback]

Except this guy also said that Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Batman 1989 were crap. I doubt you will find many that agree with that assessement.