King Kong remake is coming

reddsun1

Well, from seeing the video game previews, I've already known for a couple of months now that Kong will be fighting a T-Rex in this upcoming movie, like the 1933 original [the marketing/merchandising machine that exists these days is kinda sickening. No such thing as a "surprise hit" any more].

But after seeing some sneak previews just a while ago, it looks like this film is going to follow the original flick much more closely than I thought. Looks like it will be a period film, set in the 1930's. From the looks of it, it may very well be a scene for scene remake of the first classic [still the best, IMHO]; from the sauropod dino chase through the forest, to the Plesiosaur attack on the rafts, bi-plane fight on the Empire State, etc. Running time could be 3 hours?! Holy sh-t!! A movie that will actually give viewers thier money's worth, instead of 90 minutes of mental drooling? Could this film buck their overwhelming trend towards churning out crap merely for the sake of milking a franchise/character for all the money they can get from it, regardless of whether the movie actually comes out no better than if someone pulled down their pants and shat upon a roll of film?

If a remake is done well I say go for it, but when a remake is made within too short a span it makes no sense, like the rumoured Predator remake, it hasn't even been twenty years. That said I am looking forward to this it looks well done, much better then the mighty joe young remake, though that had Charlize Theron in some hot outfits.

Its too bad that there isn't a rival, low budget direct-to-video remake of Kong in the works, so that fanboys could drool over it instead, and fight about which one is better. That said, I'm keeping an open mind about Kong. Its not a movie that I'm dying to see, but it will hopefully be entertaining.

Anybody know if the chunky monkey will be all CG? Wonder how he'll stack up amongst Hollywood's other favorite monsters?

I'm biased towards Stan Winston's T-Rex's for the JP movies, myself [we won't even count that made-up fake a$$ croc-o-dino; I just have to pretend that 3rd movie never got made, ugh!] As far as mechanical movie monsters, the T-Rex is the real king. That's gonna be tough to wrap my noodle around--the monkey boy beating up on not one, but two of the greatest predators [still open to debate] ever to walk the earth.

The trailer looked really good. My only beef is that they made Kong look like a real gorilla, but it's something I can live with. I'm curious on what they're going to fill three hours with. As for re-makes, they can be good. IIRC, the Bogart version of the Maltese Falcon was actually the third one to be made.

What do you want to bet that a version of Kong by Pendragon Films would "pwn" Jack$son and his CGI Kong? You know, they could do it all stop-motion (like Kong should be) without any of this CGi rubbish, and it would look so freaking awesome that your mom would explode!!

What do you want to bet that a version of Kong by Pendragon Films would "pwn" Jack$son and his CGI Kong? You know, they could do it all stop-motion (like Kong should be) without any of this CGi rubbish, and it would look so freaking awesome that your mom would explode!!

341665[/snapback]

:wub:

341665[/snapback]

Why even do that stop motion stuff? Why not just guys in rubber suits?

Oh rest assured, there likely will be a B-movie direct-to-video version following on the heels of this version. Wouldn't be surprised if one was already in the works. Oh sure, it'll have a cheesy but obvious vaguely familiar title, some character and plot differences, but it's coming.

What a shame though. Part of me thinks: if there's to be a low-budget ver., it's only proper that it be by Roger Corman [does he even still make films?] :p

JELEINEN: why not want him to look like a real gorilla? While the 70's version was cutting edge for it's time, in retrospect the dude in a suit ver. looks like just that--dude in a suit. I still love that waterfall scene with Jessica Lange. Kong, you's a dirty monkey! :D Did you see those legs of hers? Yeah, they go all the way down to the ground! :lol:

i wonder how they will succeed to keep the attention during 3hours as everybody know the end. maybe it will be something like the planet of the monkeys remake.

i really hope it wont be just a remake and they ll add some new things in the story, otherwise i prefer to keep the older version.

It just occurred to me---there's only one thing I dread when I think about P. Jackson doing this film. I know it'll be there in spades, but still I hope: please, oh please, for the love of God! Can we not have 30-45 minutes of padding in the film consisting of gratuitous overuse of helicopter pan shots, added simply for the sake of showing the audience what "wonderful and exotic" locales the story's taking place in?

Well, that explains where the 3 hrs is coming from...

• 1 month later...
Only six more days before King Kong hits theatres. Who's ditching work to see it?

350757[/snapback]

I am going to skip work and watch Predator with sunglasses on... It will be even better than King Kong.

Solscud and I saw a press release screening for Kong this past Monday.. it was pretty good some of the scenes during the T-Rex sequence looked faked. like you KNEW he/she was in front of a green screen. Some of the skull island sceenes are way too intense for lil kids under 10. and I guess Kong dying would go over too well with the kiddies. But Kong as a whole was amazing. part CG part anamatronic I think I dont know for sure thats a WAG (wild ass guess)

trivia did you guys know Andy Serkis was the VR Model for Kong like he was for Golum and he also has a live action role in Kong a pretty cool one to boot

hey now, i saw it with you guys too. Damn it was a long movie. I had to go to the bathroom twice! And I never go to the bathroom in the middle of a movie! I thought it was pretty good, especially the fight scenes! :D:p:lol:

Every non-Peter Jackson fanboy review I have read of this movie make it sound like a 3 hours version of the Phantom Menance without the Darth Maul lightsaber fight. In other words a bad script, alot of bad dialog, alot of bad acting, and a movie in serious need of a decent editor... and no cool Darth Maul lightsaber duel.

No, I won't be paying to see this movie.

Got a friend who is crazy for Jackson's more pulpy flicks like Bad Taste and Braindead. He's so nuts about King Kong that I will have to see it. Not really all that opposed, but I'm not really a King Kong fan. King Kong, Godzilla, and all that stuff never really worked for me. But it can't be any worse than Get Rich Or Die Tryin' now can it? :)

Copy that. Giant ape running amock in a city, trampling the arrogance of man and his mailbox? Not too interesting to me.

How was that 'Fitty-cent movie, anyway?

Copy that.  Giant ape running amock in a city, trampling the arrogance of man and his mailbox?  Not too interesting to me. 

350960[/snapback]

I'd rather bust out some old school Rampage. Much more fun running amock yourself.

I've seen the T-Rex sequence and it look absolutely gorgeous.  And it's not just one T-Rex either... :D

341602[/snapback]

Here in lies my biggest problem with Kong... they go to an island populated with dinosaurs and bring back a giant monkey to put on display... screw that bring back the dinosaurs no matter how many of your crew gets killed to capture them, you'll still make a fortune.

lord_breetai

((note I'm not really that cold hearted))

As for Mothra... can you really improve on Gojira Vs Mothra Vs Mechagojira Tokyo SOS or Gojira Vs Space Gojira? both of those had mothra and were quite good. ((though Space Gojira only really had a cameo))