LOST: Solution?

Ok looked at the entire scene over the weekend. Yes it is still there but we've all forgotten what happend on the other end of that engine blowing up...namely a guy getting sucked into it! That more then warrants it to go ka-boom I thinks...

Looking beyond that in frame by frame shots of everything else going on, like the other engine blowing up one can see stuff flying around all over the place. I think its safe to bust this myth as to nothing more then just debris flying around.

335574[/snapback]

So I take it you wouldn't have pressed the button if you were in Jack's situation? (a la the last episode). :)

Well, I just spent the last week watching Lost on DVD from beginning to end. First time I've ever seen the series; a friend lent me the set and told me I HAD to watch it :)

Must say, it's easily the best series I've watched since "24". Granted, I don't watch television, so comparing it to everything else currently on the air is impossible for a person like me. But I consider my praise for this series a bonus since I'm very critical of television in general.

I like most of the characters on the series so far, with Jack, Sayid, Kate, Danielle, and Locke being my current favorites. The cast is really good, with many of the smaller roles adding a great deal of interest and excitment to the series. The humor is funny and the entire first season has some fantastic tension. Plus, how can anyone not like Delenn? :)

I've read through the message boards at the IMDB and they have come up with some very interesting discussions/theories. I'm looking forward to more LOST real soon; too bad I'll have to wait for the DVDs :)

This past week's ep was pretty cool...flashback of the week: Jin & Sun...

We got to see the legs and feet of "The Others" along with a teddy bear on a rope? :blink:

Supposedly the next new episode (after World Series <_< ) one of the survivors dies...my money is on Michelle Rodriguez's character, thanks for visiting the island, you still suck as an actress, goodbye. :rolleyes:

I'm kinda disappointed that they haven't done anything with the Australian chick (claire?) Her episode with the psychic is the creepiest one. I like the Jin and Sun epsiodes, they're just a little to touchyfeely for me... *sniff*

:lol:

• 2 months later...

So, thoughts, comments on last night's episode?

This island is just too much! Now that plane just happend to also have something to do with Mr. Eko? And why did the black smoke not do anything to him? What the frell is happening to Michael? Is he going crazy already or is Walt really chatting with him! Damn them for not letting us read what Walt replied to him! <_<

So, thoughts, comments on last night's episode?

This island is just too much! Now that plane just happend to also have something to do with Mr. Eko? And why did the black smoke not do anything to him? What the frell is happening to Michael? Is he going crazy already or is Walt really chatting with him! Damn them for not letting us read what Walt replied to him!  <_<

359784[/snapback]

I liked that the plane was linked to eko, my only gripe about it was the choice in planes. A small 2 engine shouldn't have the range to cross the pacific ocean and would it be more logical to head east to the asian drug markets or head to the west coast of africa and grab a bigger plane to cross the atlantic to south america then head up north.

Michael is nuts and im guessing infected with those things. the doctor looked at the screen and it was blank when they was talking. Plus I don't think micael knows enough about computers to use cls command.

Edited by Zentrandude

I liked that the plane was linked to eko, my only gripe about it was the choice in planes.  A small 2 engine shouldn't have the range to cross the pacific ocean and would it be more logical to head east to the asian drug markets or head to the west coast of africa and grab a bigger plane to cross the atlantic to south america then head up north.

359790[/snapback]

IIRC, they were already incredulous that a Beechcraft from Nigeria could somehow make its way to the island last season. But there's more happening here than we know yet, in case you didn't notice.

I feel like the writing for Lost is starting to head downwards. It feels like the writers are either so reluctant to give us anything solid on what the heck's going on to keep us watching or they simply don't have anything to give and are writing junk out their butt. Ie, the Chris Carter syndrome.

The original characters weren't fully explored and now they've stuck us with a new bunch to distract from the original storylines: A psychiatrist/ex-med school student who actually takes away from the importance of Jack's character in being a second makeshift doctor, A big spiritual wise brute of guy (who I actually kind of like), Rose's husband, who has yet to be developed, and Anna Lucia, who's just about as irritating as Michell Rodriguez has ever been in any her roles. Her background doesn't really give me much to like her for, and doesn't start to make amends for her killing Shannon, especially since of all the people on the island, she should have been the best trained against accidental shootings. Then again, she'd never been a very good cop. But not only is she now an incompetant one, she's also shown as one who doesn't even uphold law enforcement's most central principle when it matters. She commits what's essentially a premeditated murder in the desire for revenge, even when justice would have otherwise still been served.

We still don't have much on the characters I'm most curious about: Jack, Locke, Hurley, and what's revealed about Kate makes about no sense at all. Her actual reasons for killing her father --it wasn't abuse, and it wasn't for how he treated her mother-- pretty much makes her borderline psychotic. In tryingto be profound and avoid the cliched, the writers attempted to give her a deeper, more poetic motivation for taking her father's life, but it actually fails because of its absurdity. A real person acting as she did with her admitted motivations would pretty much be institutionalized... Meh, I'm starting to lose hope for the show.

We don't know for a fact that Kate wasn't molested by her step-father-who-wasn't. Sure, she was quick to deny it to whatshisname the US Marshall, but that's hardly proof.

Edit: and as annoying as Anna Lucia is, I can't really fault her for putting six into the sleazeoid who capped her. I guess it depends on your definition of "justice."

Edited by bsu legato

For char development. Im waiting if they make the guy who plays hurly to lose weight. He can't be fat forever :lol: they might have to write in a script that a cargo plane full of food crashes on the island as they go on living there.

Edited by Zentrandude

I think Kate's motivation is a combination of all of the above (maybe not molested... but certainly not treated well. After all, he did tell her to take his pants off, that ranks high on the creep-ometer). So, he abuses her, he abuses his wife, and she realizes she's been living a lie.

I like Ecco/Echo but think Anna Lucia is a waste of embryo. I do feel the writers are turning the show into a straight soap-opera rather than a mystery show.

We don't know for a fact that Kate wasn't molested by her step-father-who-wasn't. Sure, she was quick to deny it to whatshisname the US Marshall, but that's hardly proof.

Edit: and as annoying as Anna Lucia is, I can't really fault her for putting six into the sleazeoid who capped her. I guess it depends on your definition of "justice."

359810[/snapback]

Well Kate could have been abused, but she herself says that isn't the reason she killed him (in her cofession to Sawyer/chaneling-dad). It's some psychobabble about knowing that she could never be good because the badness of her dad was in her in being his child. So somehow, her way to freedom was to murder him. That's just screwy. Now it'd make sense if all those factors, added up, caused her to formulate some weird rationale for killing her father, and that her explanation alone wasn't actually the sole reason she did what she did-- but according to her, that is, and it ends up being sort of chilling.

Well, I think both society and law enforcement's definition of justice, at least as most folks understand it nowadays, is that the criminal receives fitting punishment for his crimes, and that the victim receives compensation if possible. But it also mandates that such punishment be doled out by the legal system.

Anna Lucia could have put the sleazoid away for a long time, simply by pointing him out in the lineup-- and thus, justice here would have been served, at least in any context where we actually consider law and society. But instead, she chose to take matters into her own hands. Of course this is all while she's sworn to uphold and serve the law.

The way I viewed it, she wasn't as concerned about justice as she was the satisfaction of personal revenge. Sure, justice is sometimes served in revenge, but personal revenge is often more concerned with the self-absorbed satisfaction at being the one to dole out pain, suffering, or death than simply seeing that justice is served. And in most modern societies, their understanding of justice would require that she in turn be prosecuted and convicted for this act of murder and vigilantism, especially as a police officer. Sure, her getting shot and losing her baby sucks. But I guess it's not easy for me to shrug at what I feel is a perversion of justice and her abandonment of her sworn oath to the law. Plus she was already down a notch in my book for her general annoyingness, and her killing Shannon in a spectacularly poor display of firearm handling as a former-trained officer.

Nobody said that these are all nice people. That's just the way life goes, and so far the show hasn't really asked you to empathize with Kate for torching her daddy. But like Locke has said a few times, none of that matters on the island (or should that be The Island?). They've all been given a chance to start over again, no matter how grave their sins were in their "past lives."

As for AL putting a round through Shannon's center of mass, it would indeed be poor shooting discipline if not for one major factor: the Tailies had been under near-constant attack since they crash landed. Heck, that stewardess got it just minutes (?) earlier. That would make anybody jumpy. Add in some freaky whispers from the jungle and you have a perfect recipe for an ND. Besides, as we've all discussed in various "Zombie Apocolypse" threads, its better to shoot first, shoot again, then ask questions later.

Gotta agree with SD on all his points about Anna Lucia. Then again wasn't she LAPD? ;)

LOL! Hurly has been on the island for almost 3 months and he hasn't dropped a single pound! Last night we saw the prelude to a romance with the blonde shrink, more evidence that the show is going to be more dramatic versus the edge of your seat mystery. I hope that is just premediated bitching, next week looks like a good action packed episode.

Last night we saw the prelude to a romance with the blonde shrink, more evidence that the show is going to be more dramatic versus the edge of your seat mystery. I hope that is just premediated bitching, next week looks like a good action packed episode.

359837[/snapback]

You have to hand it to their makeup department. Cynthia Watros used to be pretty hot when she was on Titus. :lol:

Nobody said that these are all nice people. That's just the way life goes, and so far the show hasn't really asked you to empathize with Kate for torching her daddy. But like Locke has said a few times, none of that matters on the island (or should that be The Island?). They've all been given a chance to start over again, no matter how grave their sins were in their "past lives."

I guess it's more that I wanted to empathize with Kate, so I could have confused my motivations with the writers. It still doesn't make much sense though, and sort of stretches believability for me. Plus Kate's dark past was shrowded in mystery for so long that I sort of felt a, "What, that's it?" when that episode was shown.

I do also think that the stronger characters are characters with something to like and to hope for, despite their past sins. That's just good writing. This worked for almost all of the characters on the island, including Sawyer, who was initially portrayed as a jerk, but is now one of the best characters given his past. Unfortunately I don't see much of that going for AL, and Kate's now a little bit in kinda-chilling-and-psycho-land which makes her a little hard to relate to. But at least we've been with her long enough that there's still something likeable about her.

Add in some freaky whispers from the jungle and you have a perfect recipe for an ND.

I'd thought about that, and the whispers would have definitely put her on edge in a situation beyond her training. But police officers are always trained to check hands (for weapons) and ID before shooting... plus Shannon was wearing something pink. But I guess I could see the accidental shooting happening. At any rate, I'm more annoyed at the writers for all the contrived bits in this season, and their comittment to teasing without giving anything solid, and it's left me less satisfied than season one did.

Gotta agree with SD on all his points about Anna Lucia. Then again wasn't she LAPD? ;)

LOL! Hurly has been on the island for almost 3 months and he hasn't dropped a single pound! Last night we saw the prelude to a romance with the blonde shrink, more evidence that the show is going to be more dramatic versus the edge of your seat mystery. I hope that is just premediated bitching, next week looks like a good action packed episode.

359837[/snapback]

More than that, I think hes gaining more weight. must be the dharma initiative additives in the food in the bunker.

I hope in the future arntz comes back from the million peices of flesh when he blew himself up and starts haunting hurly with his "pleasent attitude". :lol:

The thing I found funny about the episode is that they set the plane on fire. The survivors on the beach must be going crazy thinking that the Others are coming back because they will probably see the black smoke from the horizon... they should really be careful about starting fires in the jungle.