"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

22 hours in hand, cover-to-cover. (a new record for me for a first time Harry Potter read... I finished the last one in 28 hours)

The book started kind of slow for me, but there is more than enough action and suspense as it gets going. It does certainly seem that the entire book basically is meant just to set up the finale in book 7. It's pretty common knowledge that someone dies in this book, and I never for the life of me thought it would be THIS person... but I understand why it was them. The kids are definately growing up, and it shows.

In short? It was an awesome book... probably the best one so far. That said, I think I need a hug, it's like the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Harry Potter world. Book #7 should be one hell of a ride, if this one is any indication!

Just barely got done reading it myself....wow....I think I might have to read it again to get it to sink in, but definately a powerful story, and I cannot wait until the next book comes out, but it will be a long couple of years.....

Twich

Topic says MINOR UNSPECIFIC SPOILERS.

Let's just say I was NOT amused to find someone posting up somewhat major spoilers about this book.

I am also NOT amused to see that that person reposted the same message in bold after the spoiler message was deleted by a moderator. That person should consider themselves warned, as in I'm going to suspend your ass if you ruin any more of that book for me warned.

If you really want to talk about the HP:HBP book with major spoilers I suggest you start a thread that states that there will be major spoilers.

Oh and sorry Beltane deleted your post by accident.

i was kind of dissapointed with it actually. Was just getting into it and then it ends :(

And now we have to wait for JK Rowling to get her finger out and finish the last book!

Its going to have to be a huge book to tie off everything that was mentioned in this one.

ENjoyed the read, just wasnt enough of it.

Now I can go back to my Wheel of Time book 5, chapter 4 :p Stopped reading it when Potter came out :)

Come on Harry Potter.

You guys are gay. :p

311650[/snapback]

I studied it in University. Came to the conlusion that the wizarding community pretty much mind-rapes (messes with memories, removes memories etc) anybody they please, even Dumbledore.

Oh, and the Wizards are the ruling class, the goblins are the merchant/labour class, and the house-elves are the slaving class.

There's too much stuff that was just suddenly out of the blue, and there was at least one secret that just wasn't very satisfying when it was revealed.

I don't remember why I didn't like the Order of the Phoenix, but I remember being disappointed with it. I'm disappointed with this one too. Frankly, it all went downhill after the Goblet.

The next book will either end spectacularly or crappily. I hope it's the former. I'm still waiting in line at midnight on release day to get it.

Come on Harry Potter.

311650[/snapback]

Yes, I seriously want to know what's the big deal with this? A book? W...T...F? The way it sounds, all Nintendo needs to do to win back its console-market-share is release the next Harry Potter book, maybe with pictures, on its new system a month before print and it would be back to the old NES-monopoly.

Come on Harry Potter.

311650[/snapback]

Yes, I seriously want to know what's the big deal with this? A book? W...T...F? The way it sounds, all Nintendo needs to do to win back its console-market-share is release the next Harry Potter book, maybe with pictures, on its new system a month before print and it would be back to the old NES-monopoly.

312276[/snapback]

I'm fairly certain no one is holding you at gunpoint to read the thread. If you don't care for the subject matter, just stay out. Is it so hard to do?

I'm gonna have a fit right about now. That pogue ANA who posted that obviously blatant spolier in this thread before it was deleted two times and which I will not repeat has PM'ed me and totally killed the entire book for me. And this was because I had asked him to stop posting spoilers in this thread. Now I'm disgusted and and not going to get the enjoyment out of this book like I expected. I am thinking of going to one of the mods to see he's punished. This sucks!

Come on Harry Potter.

311650[/snapback]

312276[/snapback]

I'm fairly certain no one is holding you at gunpoint to read the thread. If you don't care for the subject matter, just stay out. Is it so hard to do?

312283[/snapback]

I'm saying I curious as to the obsession. I mean, it's a paper book, which can be manufactured easily, and viewed at leasure in its best form, without any worries of showing graphical age. These luxuries don't apply to games and movies, and even few of those are really this in-demand. When I was still interested in the Star Wars novels I enjoyed them, but I would never bother to preorder and wait in line for even the X-Wing Saga. So why do so many people just have to have it?

Like you said, if you don't want to answer the question, don't.

Edited by Wes

Is it safe to say that someone died?  :unsure:  SORRY GUYS COULD'NT HELP MYSELF. :wacko:

312308[/snapback]

Bah. Someone almost always dies in one of the Potter books.

Philosphers Stone: that evil teacher

Chamber of secrets: Tom Riddle

Azkaban: ???

Goblet of Fire: that student guy

Order of the Phoenix: Sirius Black

Is it safe to say that someone died?  :unsure:  SORRY GUYS COULD'NT HELP MYSELF. :wacko:

312308[/snapback]

Bah. Someone almost always dies in one of the Potter books.

Philosphers Stone: that evil teacher

Chamber of secrets: Tom Riddle

Azkaban: ???

Goblet of Fire: that student guy

Order of the Phoenix: Sirius Black

312344[/snapback]

doh, i should not have highlighted the spoilers you posted, as for the new book i heard it is someone important.

Come on Harry Potter.

311650[/snapback]

312276[/snapback]

312283[/snapback]

I'm saying I curious as to the obsession. I mean, it's a paper book, which can be manufactured easily, and viewed at leasure in its best form, without any worries of showing graphical age. These luxuries don't apply to games and movies, and even few of those are really this in-demand. When I was still interested in the Star Wars novels I enjoyed them, but I would never bother to preorder and wait in line for even the X-Wing Saga. So why do so many people just have to have it?

Like you said, if you don't want to answer the question, don't.

312306[/snapback]

I'm not a Potter fan, haven't read any of the books and have only watched the first movie but I'll try to answer your question.

The obsession isn't about the book, it's about the story. Potter fans were lining up at midnight to buy the book not because they wanted to be the first ones to own the novel but because they've been waiting for the next part of the story.

These people (mostly kids, lots of adults) have to have it because they love the story, the characters and because unlike video games and movies, they can't rely on anything to satiate (is this a word?) their crazed appetites for anything Potter. There are no teaser trailers or demos for these people. They can only read, re-read and read again the first five books that got them to this point. (Well, they can watch the movies, but it's not exactly the same, is it.)

If you're someone who has ever been a huge fan of a book, or a book series, you'll understand what it's like to love a story so much that you can't wait to read what happens next.

Sorry Wes, I misinterpreted your take on the situation! :(

JKeats is right on the money, Wes. Why do we pre-order anything Macross related? It isn't so much that we want to be the FIRST to have something (well, maybe a few do), just that we can't wait to have it. Really it's the same in just about any hobby when something new comes out. The diehards are the ones willing to go out of their way to get a new product when it's hot off the shelves, while the "fair weather"/casual fans aren't that concerned.

I myself wasn't worried about not being able to get a copy, I was just excited enough to be at my local wal-mart at 12:01 when they brought them out. I find the story very engaging. Consider it the literary equivilent to a SW fan attending a 12:01 showing of a star wars film.

grss, it's pretty much a well known fact that someone dies in the book (a trend really which has been in place since "The Goblet of Fire"), but we certainly don't need to go into who it was or how they died (or even who caused it).

Edited by Skull Leader

grss, it's pretty much a well known fact that someone dies in the book (a trend really which has been in place since "The Goblet of Fire"), but we certainly don't need to go into who it was or how they died (or even who caused it).

312411[/snapback]

Your probabaly right, Skull Leader!! tomcat.gif (darn whish i had a smiley piloting a VF instead of the f-14 :) )

Anyway, the reason i talked about that certain death is because of the reaction my sister had when she read that bit. <_< She reacted as if it was the end of the world or something. :blink:

On top of that when I talked to an office mate of mine regarding that particular individual's demise, she told me to shut up or my other office mates might be liable to murder me. :ph34r:

My comments regarding this kind of "obsessions" (or whatever you would like to call it) by people can be best summed up with this two emoticons: WTF.gif AND Idontgetit.gif

Edited by grss1982

No one asked why is it gay?

Cause it's childrens book with a lot of hype. Kids jumped in line to get a book or to see the movie about what? A gay pussy assed boy English Wizard. What Wizard doesn't seem gay? Combine that with English and there's no doubt.

Back when the first movie came out there was Harry Potter Mania everywhere. I'm like what the fart is with people, it's just a children's book. Sure a lot of children's books go on to have success but these are classics. Harry Potter's not a classic. People who jump on the Harry Potter Band Wagon are just as gay as those that jumped on the Cabbage Patch, Power Rangers and Beenie Babies fads.

You all should be shot. No wait scratch that. Someone should shove that vibrating Harry Potter Broom up your collective asses. Gay fans of Harry Potter should love that.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm too damn lazy to climb on the bandwagon...

312517[/snapback]

I know what you mean. Me, I'm too scared to. You know, they don't make bandwagons like they used to. What if you fall out? Nope, I'll stay out of the bandwagon, but I will watch the people climbing in. I'll wave and wish them well as they leave.

"Good bye", I'll say.

Like I've said, I'm not a fan but I wouldn't go so far as to call it gay. These are primarily children's books and when children get hyped up about something, you just have to sit back and allow it to happen. I mean, when Pokemon blew up, I just shook my head and smiled. Now Yu-gi-oh, that's retarded. But Harry Potter? It's a book, it's harmless and I'd rather see those kids getting into reading, wearing ugly scarves and nerd-glasses rather than begging their parents to buy them trading cards.

And as for jumping on the bandwagon, if you're talking about adults, I don't see the harm in that either (I also don't think it's dumb or "gay"). Why is it so stupid for them to love that story so much? Is it any dumber than watching adults who were never into Star Wars as kids start loving the Original Trilogy after watching the Prequels (I know of many like this)

So why do so many people just have to have it? 

Because we are fans and we have been waiting a long time to find out who died and who lived and we don't want to have to wait until after our friends have finished it and we want a complete collection.

Are there people who don't HAVE to have something unnecessary? I doubt it.

Is it any dumber than watching adults who were never into Star Wars as kids start loving the Original Trilogy after watching the Prequels (I know of many like this)

I am one of them.

Indeed, I wasn't a Potter fan in the beginning. It wasn't until I read Sorcerer's Stone that I was hooked. The world is magical and a little silly, the characters are lovable (the evil dude is downright evil for no other reason than to be evil. What's with the burning hatred for Muggle-born wizards?), and the story is intriguing.

I don't understand how some people go out of their way to knock something wasn't intended for them in the first place.

Edited by Stamen0083

Like I said JKeats, I really enjoyed the Star Wars novels in my youth alot(I mean, where do you think my screen name "Wes" came from ;) ), so I know what it's like to really get into a story. I'll ocassionally pause a game or movie, or maybe pause in reading further, just to take in the awesomeness of a particular event in really good stories. It just seems oxymoronic to me to get so reved(?) up about a reading, seeing as reading by nature is regarded as a slow, leisurely pleasure, unless of course it's the English section of the SATs. Yet even without trying I notice the furry of demand to get this book.

It comes off to me like the military's old fashioned "Hurry Up and Wait" philosophy. When thinking about it, I picture a mob of people rushing into my neighborhood Books-A-Million, snagging copies as soon as the can just to calmly sit in their cars reading it slowly with their radios and A/C. What I'm trying to say is the energy is the demand is bizarre in relation to the activity, IMHO.

Edited by Wes

• 3 weeks later...
Come on Harry Potter.

311650[/snapback]

I studied it in University. Came to the conlusion that the wizarding community pretty much mind-rapes (messes with memories, removes memories etc) anybody they please, even Dumbledore.

Oh, and the Wizards are the ruling class, the goblins are the merchant/labour class, and the house-elves are the slaving class.

311826[/snapback]

I knew it had a Marxist link in it!