New Megazone 23 Announced

I saw this on Anime News service site and thought I would share with you all since there are some Megazone fans on the list. Hmmm this could be good since it is off to a good start.

6-5-05 (5:41AM EST)---- New Megazone 23 Animation Announced

Nikkei Characters Magazine issue no. 8 released May 25th in Japan has a mention that production has started up on a new Megazone 23 work. Aparantly returning will be the main characters including Eve and the transforming motorcycle Garland. Well known character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross) of the first series will return to design characters. Full details such as the nature (remake / sequel) or format (movie, TV / OAV series) were not disclosed.

Well known character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross) of the first series will return to design characters

Now that's interesting...this could take a long while before its actually finished. Shoji stopped using Mikimoto cause his art took so long to complete if I remembered right.

But why would they want to make another MZ23 when the third OVA did so poorly? Personally I found it to be my second favorite after part2....but wow Guyver and now Megazone....what's next?

<_< if anyone says Macross I'll kick them in the nuts.

I can't image they'd try a sequel, so it must be a remake. Interesting, though I can't help but feel it'd be "Matrix'd" up, since the Matrix so shamelessly copied Megazone to begin with.

Besides, everyone know's HG is too busy setting themselves up for a huge financial fall when the new robotech series doesn't do well. They don't have time to mess with Megazone.

It could just be the next Bubblegum 2040 series. I believe it's the only other series from the former Artmic library aside from BGC if you don't count the RT series. If they stay within the theme and make a worth while story then I'll definitely check it out.

Indeed this is very good news :) and Haruhiko Mikimoto is my favorite character designer. Lets hope its a remake, Hmm ... what about the seiyuu`s and I hope they take Kenji Nojima (Hikaru SRWA, SRWAG, Macross PS2 and SRWA3) as Shougo :)

Edited by Black Valkyrie

To be completely honest, I'd like to see a prequal. Its just been the latest fab in the last few years just prequal prequal prequal. You got starwars, Macross, batman etc etc.

I'm sick of remakes, and you just can't continue a story where hell even the second part left a good conclusion, the third pretty much said "Hey we still got a city, just rebuild the damn thing."

I want to know the history behind the Megazone project. I wanna know the true meaning of operator 7G, the original Garland, the Delzag so on and so on.

I mean they got a whole history written up for the time prior to Megazone 23 part 1, they need to use it to their full advantage.

I say k'mon guys :) show me the prequal!

Comments moved from other thread because it's likely to get deleted for duplication:

Given AIC's track record of making crappy sequals to older shows, I don't expect much from this. The again, I wonder how much worse than part 3 it can get.

1) Atleast Macek admitted it sucked.

2) There already is a Robotech 2 movie, its called the Sentinel's....as a robotech fantatic you should remember that.

3) If HG did touch this, it'd be like Michael Jackson on a 13 year old boy, no good can come from it.

4) You troll, you poorly poorly troll. But many of us troll from time to time. As long as you don't sound like an ass which happens 99.8% of the time, I don't care.

5) I want a damn prequal....and it better be good.

After all, there was a Robotech the movie based on Megazone 23 in the 80's.

And it was horrible.

Even Macek is ashamed of it, which qualifies it to be scientifically unlikeable by any human being thus killing the desire for a sequel.

um... does that mean I'm not human?

Maybe it's cause I've not seen part II of Megazone (I saw the Streamline release of Part 1) but I kinda like the fact that Robotech the Untold Story actually had an ending for one thing and secondly I could laugh at how unbelievbly campy it is... and I'm not even a Robotech fan anymore ^^;

I am not trolling...........but if I were, you would all know it.....and whine. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by a troll on Jun 6 2005, 06:43 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by >EXO<

I'm sick of remakes, and you just can't continue a story where hell even the second part left a good conclusion, the third pretty much said "Hey we still got a city, just rebuild the damn thing."

Amen dude! There's way too many remakes in the world today, some good and many not.

The prequel idea is a good one, except they have a hard act to follow. The Star Wars prequels weren't too well received, (though I personally liked them) and Enterprise was so lame (this one I tried to follow, but couldn't get into each time).

I agree though, something like MZ23 shouldn't be remade, but either have a new sequel OR have a good prequel.

Amen dude! There's way too many remakes in the world today, some good and many not.

The prequel idea is a good one, except they have a hard act to follow. The Star Wars prequels weren't too well received, (though I personally liked them) and Enterprise was so lame (this one I tried to follow, but couldn't get into each time).

I agree though, something like MZ23 shouldn't be remade, but either have a new sequel OR have a good prequel.

BSG style retelling... :D

That wouldn't be bad. But I say you do a 2-3 part OAV prequal, each one set a sumb number of months or years after the last like the original 3. The ending would be EVE put to sleep on Eden, and the original Garland locked deep away.

I mean they got a whole history written up for the time prior to Megazone 23 part 1, they need to use it to their full advantage.

Hmm. That's what I thought when Macross Zero was announced. Alas... <_<

I enjoyed the first one, and I still need to watch the DVD of two that I have. Still, this is interesting news indeed. I'm definitely looking forward to this, what with Mikimoto involved and such. Hopefully it will be a prequel of sequel, or maybe an inbetween story or something. Who knows...

You know what's really sad, though Mikimoto is going to do the designs once again, his work is never really transended into anything truely beautiful since Macross.

Personally, I loved his original character art for Macross 7.....but look how that got trashed about.

He's the type of artist who doesn't sloth around on the detail. If you guys ever go and take a look at the scanlations of M7Trash you'll see how painstakingly well done the art is compared to other Mangas...in my opinion its chalked full of too much detail that it almost takes away something that I can't put my finger on.

But I pray for a good production run and I hope to god it'll be successful and popular once again.

I think it's that his art is no longer suited to today's over-simplified anime visuals. The reason his designs got "trashed about" in M7 is because they had to hire another designer, Katsura Kenichi, to re-do them all for the animation.

I'm pretty sure that's what's gonna happen this time, too. In fact, I haven't seen his designs in motion at all since, what, Macross II?? Or was Gundam War in the Pocket after that?

Anyway, recently his stuff has only been seen on still-image media like dating games, illustrations and manga because it takes too much work to get them to move. :(

With all the MZ23 talk, I decided to rent it from blockbuster online to see what the hubbub was about. Boy, that sucked! Can someone explain to me the appeal of this movie. A guy is being chased by the army because he has some kind of bike they need for the computer. They almost kill him but don't. So he hangs out with his friends. He finds out the whole world is a sham and controlled by a supercomputer. So he has sex with his girlfriend. The army has numerous opportunities to kill him especially at the end, but the guy lets him go just because. I watched the dubbed version so maybe the Japanese version makes more sense. As it stands, the thing is a jumbled piece of garbage.

Cool bike though! :lol: